TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
mIssIng:nO Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Above The Influence. - July 18th 2010, 07:58 PM

How is this site still open?

Alot of what they put on there is blatant lying, its not even like its just their opinion on the subject of drugs, some of it is just flat out lies?

http://www.abovetheinfluence.com/fac...drugs.aspx#top

there part where about Medical Marijuana is completely full of lies.
While it doesn't "cure" anything ,it says smoked marijuana has no medical benefits, which is completely

Quote:
Smoked marijuana has no medical benefits of any kind and is NOT a medicine. The Food and Drug Administration, the only agency in the U.S that reviews drugs to make sure they are safe and effective, has not approved smoked marijuana for any condition or disease. Additionally, the FDA notes that "there is currently sound evidence that smoked marijuana is harmful," and "that no sound scientific studies supported medical use of marijuana for treatment in the United States, and no animal or human data supported the safety or efficacy of marijuana for general medical use."
I don't understand how they can take them selves seriously when they write shit like this.
Its pretty well known that MMJ is actually very well supported by alot of medical professionals and is much safer than alot of the pills/prescription people are prescribe (which are a hell of alot easier to abuse than weed is)

I really don't understand how this site is a viable source of information, when so much of it is just hate mongering?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pour the Teapot Offline
Train whistles and cicadas
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Chloe

Re: Above The Influence. - July 18th 2010, 09:42 PM

I agree with them...

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SonicFan Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Above The Influence. - July 18th 2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mIssIng:nO View Post

Alot of what they put on there is blatant lying, its not even like its just their opinion on the subject of drugs, some of it is just flat out lies?

http://www.abovetheinfluence.com/fac...drugs.aspx#top

there part where about Medical Marijuana is completely full of lies.
While it doesn't "cure" anything ,it says smoked marijuana has no medical benefits, which is completely

I don't understand how they can take them selves seriously when they write shit like this.
Its pretty well known that MMJ is actually very well supported by alot of medical professionals and is much safer than alot of the pills/prescription people are prescribe (which are a hell of alot easier to abuse than weed is)

I really don't understand how this site is a viable source of information, when so much of it is just hate mongering?
There are a lot of misleading information about there. The last line could refer to any religious text for example.

I don't know the facts but I'd rather support the FDA than an unknown website

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ngikhona Offline
Inkululeko.
I've been here a while

Name: Keeley Siobhan

Re: Above The Influence. - July 18th 2010, 10:02 PM

This thread has been moved to the Current Events and Debates forum on the basis that this is more of a debate than anything.

From the Substance Use Forum Rules:
Quote:
Debates and discussions on the merits of drugs or alcohol, or current events regarding them do not belong in this forum; if they are appropriate for TeenHelp at all they belong in the Current Events and Debates forum.
EDIT:
Also, for the record, I feel like you have no right to bash any website unless you have some sort of evidence against them. Given that you provided no evidence that anything they said was false and misleading, merely calling it "shit" that's not a "viable source of information", I'd say your post is just as "hate mongering" as their site.

"Love me for me, accept the fact I'm true, live like I want, fufill my dreams,
Dream of me, run out free, capture your words and never let them go."

I'll see you on the other side.

Last edited by Ngikhona; July 18th 2010 at 10:09 PM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Above The Influence. - July 18th 2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanTiger View Post
I agree with them...
You agree with the fact that they are lying? That doesn't seem like a good thing to agree with.

http://www.nowpublic.com/thc_marijua..._harvard_study

I only need to post one link, and its proof enough that they lie.

it openly says that smoked cannabis has NO medical properties, seems like that isn't true now doesn't it??

I can post more studies that prove what this site says is wrong.
I have no problem with people being straight edge, in fact I support it if its for the right reasons, But I don't understand how anyone can actually go to this site and use it as a viable source of information.

Also to the person who says they'd believe the FDA, think about it this way.
the FDA is a federal company, they make millions off of weed being illegal, obviously there going to do there best to keep medical marijuana from becoming a very real source of medicine. Even if it means lying.

Also, http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=9586&page=R1
heres a good source if you don't want to go by another.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Above The Influence. - July 18th 2010, 10:34 PM

I went on the site and I think you are reading it wrong. They are saying that marijuana doesn't cure anything, and it doesn't. All that medical marijuana is used for is to help chemo patients keep down food and gain weight that they need to gain. But it's not a medicine or a cure, that's all the site is saying.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#7 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Above The Influence. - July 18th 2010, 10:37 PM

However the site does overplay the addictiveness of marijuana. Very few long term smokers become addicted, and the site makes it sound like anyone who smoke marijuana will become addicted.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Crazy Filmmaker Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Above The Influence. - July 19th 2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
I went on the site and I think you are reading it wrong. They are saying that marijuana doesn't cure anything, and it doesn't. All that medical marijuana is used for is to help chemo patients keep down food and gain weight that they need to gain. But it's not a medicine or a cure, that's all the site is saying.
yes medical marijuana doesnt cure anything, and yes it is used with chemo patients to keep food down and gain weight, its also used with AIDs patients for the samething,

and what you said does describe medicine, medicine is something that helps the body become healthy, which helping the person eat and help them keep a healthy weight is kinda medicine for me if they need it,

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Above The Influence. - July 19th 2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
Quote:
Smoked marijuana has no medical benefits of any kind and is NOT a medicine.
lol, I donno but that seems pretty clear to me.

I don't want it to seem like I'm some stoner rambling on.

I more want to know why a site (and pretty well known organization) would actually just flat out lie to keep kids away from "big bad drugs", instead of just informing them of the actual facts.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Above The Influence. - July 19th 2010, 03:26 AM

I actually love Above the Influence, though haven't been on that site in a long time. I love the message they are trying to spread. And I think you might be taking it out of context. Medical marijuana has no health benefits, it justhelps make life more comfortable, it doesn't cure or make it better.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Steph-O
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stephanie

Re: Above The Influence. - July 19th 2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Medical marijuana has no health benefits, it justhelps make life more comfortable, it doesn't cure or make it better.
It may not "cure" medical problems, but it IS a medicine. Many prescription drugs are used to ease symtoms such as painkillers, laxatives, and Antidepressants. To be honest, not may drugs out there actually "cure" things... they are only used to aleviate symtoms.

From the Merriam-Webster dictionary....
Main Entry: medˇiˇcine
Pronunciation: \ˈme-də-sən, British usually ˈmed-sən\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin medicina, from feminine of medicinus of a physician, from medicus
Date: 13th century
1 a : a substance or preparation used in treating disease b : something that affects well-being
2 a : the science and art dealing with the maintenance of health and the prevention, alleviation, or cure of disease b : the branch of medicine concerned with the nonsurgical treatment of disease
3 : a substance (as a drug or potion) used to treat something other than disease
4 : an object held in traditional American Indian belief to give control over natural or magical forces; also : magical power or a magical rite
medicine transitive verb

It's well known that pot can ease many physical ailments... it can relieve nausia, vomiting, muscle aches, stomache aches, pain, anxiety, brings back lost appetite and many other things... now if that isn't medicinal I don't know what is.

...And I think that the only real damage smoking it does is to your lungs... but there are other ways to injest it where it doesn't do any damage cuz you're not inhaling smoke.

I just think it's funny that people would rather wear a hole in their stomache with painkillers like asprin then eat some pot brownies and run the risk of getting the giggles and gaining a pound

...and I don't even smoke, so I'm not biased here.

Like a diet of the mind, I just choose not to indulge certain appetites; like my appetite for patterns; perhaps my appetite to imagine and to dream. - A Beautiful Mind

I met Steven October 3rd, 2008. We've been practically inseperable ever since. ♥
  Send a message via AIM to darkinnocenteyes Send a message via Skype™ to darkinnocenteyes 
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Above The Influence. - July 19th 2010, 08:46 AM

I've ignored AboveTheInfluence for a while for this very reason. Many medications don't "cure" an illness, many just reduce the symptoms so to make the person live a better life. Anti-psychotics don't "cure" schizophrenia, they reduce the severity of the symptoms, as evidenced by the fact that if you take a person off the anti-psychotics, the symptoms return because the illness is not cured.

Marijuana is a medicine and there are many medications composed of THC (possibly with a few other things) that are approved and used, such as by cancer patients to reduce the vomiting and nausea.

They are wrong in saying no animals have been tested on because many have. Even using Google Scholar, you could find a bunch of papers on that. Humans have also been experimented on, such as comparing how impaired people get with increasing concentrations of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mIssIng:nO
I more want to know why a site (and pretty well known organization) would actually just flat out lie to keep kids away from "big bad drugs", instead of just informing them of the actual facts.
One reason I can think of is society's current fear and resentment towards it. Many parents tell their kids that marijuana is bad as do many schools, so I'd venture to guess that the FDA doesn't want to create a massive shitstorm by being more truthful. Society often views those who use it recreationally as being in a different social class because they're doing illegal substances that are harmful. If society is told that it's illegal but not harmful, people are going to be confused why it's illegal, why so many are arrested for it and may question if other "bad drugs" are indeed bad. Marijuana does have some harms that have been verified empircally but also has many benefits so if the FDA were to release the proper information, it'd be a mix of saying it's harmful and harmless. People would get confused, possibly lose trust in the FDA, etc... .

Simple way is just say it's bad. It's a lie but it's a lie that makes things simpler, reinforces the "drug war" on marijuana and keeps faith in the FDA. Those are the reasons I think.

Quote:
I agree with them...
Then look up Marijuana or medical marijuana up on Wikipedia. Learn what it is first then decide on your stance.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Above The Influence. - July 19th 2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey. View Post
I actually love Above the Influence, though haven't been on that site in a long time. I love the message they are trying to spread. And I think you might be taking it out of context. Medical marijuana has no health benefits, it justhelps make life more comfortable, it doesn't cure or make it better.
Umm,
helping people eat when they completely lost their appetite?
helping insomniacs sleep?
helping relieve nausea and pain due to many different illnesses.

Chocolate and Television make life more comfortable, Marijuana has health benefits.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Above The Influence. - July 19th 2010, 06:18 PM

*I can not by law or under good judgment agree with with your statement that medical marijuana or illegal marijuana is can be used as medicine.*
Quote:
Smoked marijuana has no medical benefits of any kind and is NOT a medicine. The Food and Drug Administration, the only agency in the U.S that reviews drugs to make sure they are safe and effective, has not approved smoked marijuana for any condition or disease. Additionally, the FDA notes that "there is currently sound evidence that smoked marijuana is harmful," and "that no sound scientific studies supported medical use of marijuana for treatment in the United States, and no animal or human data supported the safety or efficacy of marijuana for general medical use."
The following quote is 100% true. In 2006 the FDA along with other fedraly aproved agencies did a study on smoked marijuana and they stated; "smoked marijuana has no currently accepted or proven medical use in the United States and is not an approved medical treatment." They keyword here is *ACCEPTED*. There are studies out there that say medical marijuana can have medical bennifits, but there are not accepted by ANY FEDERAL REGULATORY AND ENFORCEMENT DRUG AGENCY.

Now what I'm about to say may make you happy or ticked, if you want medical merijauna for the right reasons, then youll be happy. Here is a direct quote from the DEA on "Medical marijuana" and Marinol. Marinol is a legal drug when prescribed by a medical professional, has the medical benefits that could be possible in marijuana.

Quote:
"Medical" Marijuana - The Facts
  • Medical marijuana already exists. It's called Marinol.

• A pharmaceutical product, Marinol, is widely available through prescription. It comes in the form of a pill and is also being studied by researchers for suitability via other delivery methods, such as an inhaler or patch. The active ingredient of Marinol is synthetic THC, which has been found to relieve the nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy for cancer patients and to assist with loss of appetite with AIDS patients.

• Unlike smoked marijuana--which contains more than 400 different chemicals, including most of the hazardous chemicals found in tobacco smoke-Marinol has been studied and approved by the medical community and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the nation's watchdog over unsafe and harmful food and drug products. Since the passage of the 1906 Pure Food and Drug Act, any drug that is marketed in the United States must undergo rigorous scientific testing. The approval process mandated by this act ensures that claims of safety and therapeutic value are supported by clinical evidence and keeps unsafe, ineffective and dangerous drugs off the market.

• There are no FDA-approved medications that are smoked. For one thing, smoking is generally a poor way to deliver medicine. It is difficult to administer safe, regulated dosages of medicines in smoked form. Secondly, the harmful chemicals and carcinogens that are byproducts of smoking create entirely new health problems. There are four times the level of tar in a marijuana cigarette, for example, than in a tobacco cigarette
  • Morphine, for example, has proven to be a medically valuable drug, but the FDA does not endorse the smoking of opium or heroin. Instead, scientists have extracted active ingredients from opium, which are sold as pharmaceutical products like morphine, codeine, hydrocodone or oxycodone. In a similar vein, the FDA has not approved smoking marijuana for medicinal purposes, but has approved the active ingredient-THC-in the form of scientifically regulated Marinol.

• The DEA helped facilitate the research on Marinol. The National Cancer Institute approached the DEA in the early 1980s regarding their study of THC's in relieving nausea and vomiting. As a result, the DEA facilitated the registration and provided regulatory support and guidance for the study.

• The DEA recognizes the importance of listening to science. That's why the DEA has registered seven research initiatives to continue researching the effects of smoked marijuana as medicine. For example, under one program established by the State of California, researchers are studying the potential use of marijuana and its ingredients on conditions such as multiple sclerosis and pain. At this time, however, neither the medical community nor the scientific community has found sufficient data to conclude that smoked marijuana is the best approach to dealing with these important medical issues.

• The most comprehensive, scientifically rigorous review of studies of smoked marijuana was conducted by the Institute of Medicine, an organization chartered by the National Academy of Sciences. In a report released in 1999, the Institute did not recommend the use of smoked marijuana, but did conclude that active ingredients in marijuana could be isolated and developed into a variety of pharmaceuticals, such as Marinol.

• In the meantime, the DEA is working with pain management groups, such as Last Acts, to make sure that those who need access to safe, effective pain medication can get the best medication available.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Above The Influence. - July 20th 2010, 01:57 AM

I know exactly what Marinol is.

Even if they didn't exactly lie, saying it has no "accepted" medical use is pretty much lying. Many highly respected doctors in the U.S agree that MMJ is a great thing. Many people in the U.S smoke medical marijuana and there is a great response from the people who do.

The government needs to listen to what the people are actually saying, weed is doing alot of the things that "regular" medicine is doing, but at alot less risk (i.e, not destroying your insides using painkillers daily).

MMJ is a great thing, people will disagree because Marijuana is Illegal and it shouldn't be used as medicine, and I'll respect that because some people don't agree with exceptions being made when its illegal for a reason (whether right or wrong).

According to the FDA, MMJ has no medical use. According to ALOT of people, it does.

I guess its up to opinion on this one.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Above The Influence. - July 20th 2010, 02:17 AM

I don't have a problem with MMJ at all. Just like I don't have a problem with the pain killers I'm taking several times a week. I know it has benefits. I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying that they aren't completely full of it. You have to see it from both sides of the coin though. I think that the point of that site is to keep teenagers from trying drugs because their friends do it, i.e, being above the influence. I doubt they are medical professionals, and although some people might take their opinion seriously, the majority of us will take it with a grain of salt.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Above The Influence. - July 20th 2010, 04:18 AM

Quote:
I agree with them...
The good thing about research is that it isn't a mater of opinion. Either the findings support or don't support the hypothesis.

The FDA has a serious backlog and it won't change its mind on marijuana due to the backlash of it.

Quote:
However the site does overplay the addictiveness of marijuana. Very few long term smokers become addicted, and the site makes it sound like anyone who smoke marijuana will become addicted.
The issue I have is the term medical benefits. Medical benefits go beyond curing a disease. It would be like telling people to stop taking their HIV medication or their diabetes medication because the meds won't cure it so
therefore it doesn't have medical benefits.
Quote:
I love the message they are trying to spread. And I think you might be taking it out of context. Medical marijuana has no health benefits, it justhelps make life more comfortable, it doesn't cure or make it better.
It also is one of the few anti-inflammatory agents that can pass the blood-brain barrier. Not curing a condition does not mean that it doesn't have medical health benefits.

The issue I have is that the site takes a Reefer Madness approach and tries to mislead children. The reason why nicotine is accepted and marijuana is not is because of lobbyists and because they know it would never work now a days. People can die from alcohol-poisoning but it is impossible to overdose on marijuana. It is just society brainwashing children into thinking that marijuana is this horrible thing when we have something a lot worse that is legal. Why do they not take the same actions against alcohol?

The wording on the site is very misleading. It also doesn't back it's information up with sources. It fails to mention that other sources of legal drugs like caffeine and alcohol can alter brain chemistry. It also doesn't take into account that if marijuana was legal, driving high would be illegal like drinking and driving is.

I want to point out that their information is wrong as cigarettes are no longer advertised on television.

Yeah, it's not a cure for diseases but it is used for treatment. Like several other users have mentioned, drugs are sometimes used to treat adverse side effects. It also has been voted legal for medical use in some states so this old information. The usage of "medical benefits" does not equal "medical cure."

After exams, I am going to attempt to see if I can access some of the studies for free online through OhioLink. Some things that make me worried is the claim that early use of marijuana increases the risk of schizophrenia so I want to look at that study. It's in a British journal so OhioLink may not have access to it (although I did stumble through one that was in French last weekend.) I want to know exactly how it is worded because correlation does not prove causation.

The whole production seems like it would be counter-productive and I remember the commercials when they first started. I don't do drugs, I don't even drink, but trying to talk down like this would annoy me.

Last edited by MisplacedDreamer; July 20th 2010 at 04:40 AM.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Above The Influence. - July 20th 2010, 04:36 AM

Wow, it's a website that exists to prevent teenagers from getting addicted to drugs and ruining their lives due to drug abuse. HOW EVIL.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Above The Influence. - July 20th 2010, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
Wow, it's a website that exists to prevent teenagers from getting addicted to drugs and ruining their lives due to drug abuse. HOW EVIL.
Misinformation is evil. It is counterproductive. Convincing people that a drug that was made illegal for racist reasons should remain illegal when there are other drugs that are riskier on the market is certainly evil. Maybe they should try telling the truth and not have a slanted campaign. In fact, teenagers should realize that this is a very biased source. I don't think it would count as an academically-acceptable source back in high school due to the biased nature of it.
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Above The Influence. - July 20th 2010, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
Misinformation is evil. It is counterproductive. Convincing people that a drug that was made illegal for racist reasons should remain illegal when there are other drugs that are riskier on the market is certainly evil. Maybe they should try telling the truth and not have a slanted campaign. In fact, teenagers should realize that this is a very biased source. I don't think it would count as an academically-acceptable source back in high school due to the biased nature of it.
Side effects of Marijuana usage, according to http://www.marijuana-addiction.info/...de_Effects.htm

* Enhanced cancer risk
* Decrease in testosterone levels and lower sperm counts for men
* Increase in testosterone levels for women and increased risk of infertility
* Diminished or extinguished sexual pleasure
* Psychological dependence requiring more of the drug to get the same effect
* Sleepiness
* Difficulty keeping track of time, impaired or reduced short-term memory
* Reduced ability to perform tasks requiring concentration and coordination,
such as driving a car
* Increased heart rate
* Potential cardiac dangers for those with preexisting heart disease
* Bloodshot eyes
* Dry mouth and throat
* Decreased social inhibitions
* Paranoia, hallucinations
* Impaired or reduced short-term memory
* Impaired or reduced comprehension
* Altered motivation and cognition, making the acquisition of new information difficult
* Paranoia
* Psychological dependence
* Impairments in learning and memory, perception, and judgment - difficulty
speaking, listening effectively, thinking, retaining knowledge, problem solving,
and forming concepts
* Intense anxiety or panic attacks

Wow, that really sounds risk free.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Above The Influence. - July 20th 2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:

Side effects of Marijuana usage, according to http://www.marijuana-addiction.info/...de_Effects.htm

* Enhanced cancer risk
* Sleepiness
such as driving a car
* Increased heart rate
* Bloodshot eyes
* Dry mouth and throat
* Altered motivation and cognition, making the acquisition of new information difficult
* Paranoia
speaking, listening effectively, thinking, retaining knowledge, problem solving,
and forming concepts

Your kidding right? Look at the name of the site you got it from.

you have to have posted this in jest right?

http://www.drugscience.org/sfu/sfu_acute.html

edit:
to the one I bolded, its just whack, anyone who's done it knows anything sexual is amazing while high.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Above The Influence. - July 20th 2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
I agree.

There should be more groups/people trying to keep kids off drugs. Marijuana is a drug.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Ngikhona Offline
Inkululeko.
I've been here a while

Re: Above The Influence. - July 20th 2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Your kidding right? Look at the name of the site you got it from.

you have to have posted this in jest right?

http://www.drugscience.org/sfu/sfu_acute.html

edit:
to the one I bolded, its just whack, anyone who's done it knows anything sexual is amazing while high.
I feel like the link you posted is equally biased. Both the About Us section and The Bulletin of Cannabis Reform pages show the site is interested in changing marijuana laws, and I'm pretty sure it's obvious they mean they want to make marijuana more available, whether for medical use or otherwise.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Above The Influence. - July 20th 2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:

* Enhanced cancer risk
* Sleepiness
such as driving a car

* Increased heart rate
* Bloodshot eyes
* Dry mouth and throat

* Paranoia
and forming concepts

What a nice list. It ignores the likelihood of each of them and the fact that some occur after long amounts of usage. Several of the items in that list are repeated over so the list is inflated to be longer than it really should be. For example, the bolded are all the same side-effect just re-phrased several different times.

Read some of the other ones: psychological dependence. Numerous things can be psychologically addictive, even things you don't ever ingest. If it were to be of worth mentioning, it should be if it were severely psychologically addictive but marijuana isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider*man(girl) View Post
I agree.
There should be more groups/people trying to keep kids off drugs. Marijuana is a drug.
I love whenever people say such things because I always wonder, what is a drug? When I ask this, the definitions can be so vague so as to include water as a drug or exclude substances such as alcohol. It's pointless to say it's a drug unless you can give a sturdy definition of it that doesn't let me say water is a drug (i.e. kids should never have that drug) or excluding other substances (i.e. pain medications aren't drugs so let kids have them). So what is a drug?

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Above The Influence. - July 20th 2010, 09:24 AM

Ok, this is going to go down real fast so I'm going to post some facts so it will hopefully calm thngs down a little.

-driving/boating while high is illigal and you will be charged with DUI/DWI
-Just becuese some states have passed laws allowing MM in perscription form in their state it does not suspend federal law. You take MM out of that state you can be charged with posation of a controlled substance/M
-MM can have positive effects with those who are suffering from CERTAIN aliments but the perpose of medication is to provide the most benifits with the lowest risk and MM being inhaled has not shown it's pro's to ot way it's con's for the FDA pass it as legal medication.

-The problem with merijuana is it is not just one drug making you high. It is multible substances within the smoke you inhale that negativelies effects you'd body that will caues you harm.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Allons-y! Offline
Don't blink.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: Above The Influence. - July 20th 2010, 01:17 PM

I, personally, have no problem with any site designed to keep teenagers away from illegal drugs, alcohol, or tobacco. Besides the fact that those under the age of 18 cannot legally use ANY of those, the fewer people who are addicted to substances that may harm them, the better. Marijuana may have its medical uses, yes. But a healthy twenty year old does not need to be smoking it. I for one think that it is an excellent program.

let me light up the sky, light it up for you
let me tell you why, i would die for you
When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.
9 out of every 10 problems in relationships can be solved by talking. So why are we so damn quiet?

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Steph-O
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stephanie

Re: Above The Influence. - July 20th 2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I, personally, have no problem with any site designed to keep teenagers away from illegal drugs, alcohol, or tobacco. Besides the fact that those under the age of 18 cannot legally use ANY of those, the fewer people who are addicted to substances that may harm them, the better. Marijuana may have its medical uses, yes. But a healthy twenty year old does not need to be smoking it. I for one think that it is an excellent program.
marajuana is not physically addictive... nor does it need to be smoked for the affects... I've tried all three of these substances, and marajuana is by far the safest to use. If my kid ever does any drugs, (not saying that I want them to, but kids are kids) I'd want them to smoke marajuana over anything other drug, including the legal ones.

Like a diet of the mind, I just choose not to indulge certain appetites; like my appetite for patterns; perhaps my appetite to imagine and to dream. - A Beautiful Mind

I met Steven October 3rd, 2008. We've been practically inseperable ever since. ♥
  Send a message via AIM to darkinnocenteyes Send a message via Skype™ to darkinnocenteyes 
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Allons-y! Offline
Don't blink.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Above The Influence. - July 20th 2010, 03:54 PM

Just because it's not addictive doesn't mean that it's good for you. Just because it's the safest doesn't mean that it should be used. People do, of course. But I'd really rather any children I have take the Above the Influence message to heart rather than get arrested.

9 out of every 10 problems in relationships can be solved by talking. So why are we so damn quiet?

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Above The Influence. - July 20th 2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -A- View Post
Ok, this is going to go down real fast so I'm going to post some facts so it will hopefully calm thngs down a little.

-driving/boating while high is illigal and you will be charged with DUI/DWI
-Just becuese some states have passed laws allowing MM in perscription form in their state it does not suspend federal law. You take MM out of that state you can be charged with posation of a controlled substance/M
-MM can have positive effects with those who are suffering from CERTAIN aliments but the perpose of medication is to provide the most benifits with the lowest risk and MM being inhaled has not shown it's pro's to ot way it's con's for the FDA pass it as legal medication.

-The problem with merijuana is it is not just one drug making you high. It is multible substances within the smoke you inhale that negativelies effects you'd body that will caues you harm.

Lowest risk?

Say someones using weed to help with pain.
Now lets say this person smokes more than they should of that day because the pain was worse. What happens to this person? Dry mouth and they'll probably pass out. Maybe a slight panic attack if they are new to using it.

Now lets say someone with the same pain takes to many pain killers that day because the pain was worse?

Marijuana is alot safer than alot of drugs that are out there right now.

You know how easy it is to OD on some Opiates(Percs, OC)? Some Benzo's?(Lorazepam, Valium) The shit you can get prescribed to you can do alot more damage than weed can.

Last edited by mIssIng:nO; July 20th 2010 at 05:34 PM.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Above The Influence. - July 20th 2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allons-y! View Post
Healthy twenty year olds don't need to be drinking either, its alot worse and I guarantee theres more people drinking them selves stupid than smoking weed.

This wasn't meant to be about weed being "bad", its more about why such a well known company is willing to spoon feed people bullshit facts, when in reality telling them the truth so they can make an informed decision about whether or not to try it, will do more than trying to brainwash kids.
People who grow up hearing this crap are going to want to smoke even more, its how teenagers work, they want to rebel. But if people tell them "hey, weed isn't as much a horrible thing as people say, but you should probably wait till your 18 or older and are responsible enough to use it" and then inform them of the pro's and con's. Not shove unsupported facts and bullshit down their throats.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I can't get enough

Name: Scott

Re: Above The Influence. - July 20th 2010, 05:40 PM

This thread confuses me. While it could be a debate, really it's only proved to me who the anti-drug members are and who the stoners are.

I wouldn't touch drugs. That's my own decision because of things I've seen happen around me, my friends, my family. I didn't get put off them because I read things online, or get taught them in school, but by first hand experience of the things that happen. Call me selfish here, but I think most people are the same way. If someone smokes marijuana, it's not because they've been uneducated or told not to.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Ngikhona Offline
Inkululeko.
I've been here a while

Re: Above The Influence. - July 20th 2010, 05:44 PM

To an extent, not completely, I can understand some uses of medical marijuana (though I know that I, myself, would never use it for medical purposes or otherwise). My main problem is that medical marijuana licenses are so easy to get that it's pathetic and there are so many dispensaries it's almost scary. I live in Colorado, a state where medical marijuana has been legalized, and my music school is literally within 100 yards of five medical marijuana dispensaries. It's like that everywhere in Denver, now. I don't remember where I read this, but 1/4 medical marijuana licenses are just so a person can have access to marijuana when they have no medical need for it at all. I literally had never seen anyone that was high in public (besides school settings) until these dispensaries got put up. Yes, I'm sure there have been plenty of people that I didn't notice, but now everywhere I go I'm seeing people blazed out of their faces. Crime rates also I believe have gone up in the Denver area since medical marijuana has been legalized. Some shootings have been tied to medical marijuana company competition. If marijuana is legalized for recreational use, I fear what it would do here and elsewhere.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Above The Influence. - July 20th 2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Roux View Post

I feel like the link you posted is equally biased. Both the About Us section and The Bulletin of Cannabis Reform pages show the site is interested in changing marijuana laws, and I'm pretty sure it's obvious they mean they want to make marijuana more available, whether for medical use or otherwise.

The site I used is biased, You kind of have to be when debating things don't you? Wouldn't really make for a good discussion if the sources were sitting on the fence would it?

The difference is, the site I posted has stuff that supports their claims with actual references, and goes in depth about the pro's and cons. Not a site that is just spouting nonsense. The site that was posted. http://www.marijuana-addiction.info
is worse than ATI, atleast ATI tries to support its claims, this site just puts anything down to make weed seem as bad as possible.

(#34 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Above The Influence. - July 20th 2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Roux View Post
To an extent, not completely, I can understand some uses of medical marijuana (though I know that I, myself, would never use it for medical purposes or otherwise). My main problem is that medical marijuana licenses are so easy to get that it's pathetic and there are so many dispensaries it's almost scary. I live in Colorado, a state where medical marijuana has been legalized, and my music school is literally within 100 yards of five medical marijuana dispensaries. It's like that everywhere in Denver, now. I don't remember where I read this, but 1/4 medical marijuana licenses are just so a person can have access to marijuana when they have no medical need for it at all. I literally had never seen anyone that was high in public (besides school settings) until these dispensaries got put up. Yes, I'm sure there have been plenty of people that I didn't notice, but now everywhere I go I'm seeing people blazed out of their faces. Crime rates also I believe have gone up in the Denver area since medical marijuana has been legalized. Some shootings have been tied to medical marijuana company competition. If marijuana is legalized for recreational use, I fear what it would do here and elsewhere.

You do realize how easy it is to get prescriptions for anything right? As long as you know what to say to a doctor, you can get any drug you want. If anything, put the medical community at fault for not actually checking to make sure that its needed before giving it out. I do agree that they need to put more stress at how they distribute MMJ, because I do agree that people who don't need it for medical use, shouldn't be using it.

I won't disagree with this, but once again. Thats the fault of the doctors who give out the script for it. Its not like the plants them selves are going around giving out scripts for them to be smoked. MMJ is controlled, and you have to go threw doctors to get your prescription (as any medicine). When someone has a card who shouldn't, it comes down to the doctor neglecting to give a shit whether or not this person really needs it.
Also, as a side note, I'd like to know how many prescriptions for "legal" drugs are false or not actually needed. I'd imagine that opiates are easily at 1/4th or higher.

I'm not going to call you out on this, because I don't live in Colorado. But I'd like to see a source on this before I'm going to give it any actual though. Obviously some places are going to be crooked and shady, but I don't think I've heard of any actual violent crimes in relation to a dispensary.

Also, I get what your trying to say about your worried what will happen because of what your cities like now, but I've seen the bad side of "drugs" before, and alot worse shit happens the way it is now.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Above The Influence. - July 20th 2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Lowest risk?

Say someones using weed to help with pain.
Now lets say this person smokes more than they should of that day because the pain was worse. What happens to this person? Dry mouth and they'll probably pass out. Maybe a slight panic attack if they are new to using it.

Now lets say someone with the same pain takes to many pain killers that day because the pain was worse?

Marijuana is alot safer than alot of drugs that are out there right now.

You know how easy it is to OD on some Opiates(Percs, OC)? Some Benzo's?(Lorazepam, Valium) The shit you can get prescribed to you can do alot more damage than weed can.
Yes, I know that its nearly impossible to OD on M, but thats not the point. Being "high" is not good for the body, it negatively interferes with the neurological transmitters in the brain which causes the feeling of being high. You know when you get a prescription and it says on the bottle not to drive or do Manuel labor because there is a POSSIBILITY of being drowsy, light headed, disoriented? When you smoke M, you WILL get high and those effects will take place.

As I stated before, there is already a legal varytion of MM that will provide the benefits that MM could have.

Quote:
Also, as a side note, I'd like to know how many prescriptions for "legal" drugs are false or not actually needed. I'd imagine that opiates are easily at 1/4th or higher.

I'm sure what you mean by this, false as in being able to forge a prescription and then getting the drugs, cues you've got a slim chance there.

If you ment as in being able to fake the symptoms, yes, there is a possibly of this happening but the way everyone is trying to make a quick buck now-a-days, the days of of this happening is slowing decreasing.

I'm not going to call you out on this, because I don't live in Colorado. But I'd like to see a source on this before I'm going to give it any actual though. Obviously some places are going to be crooked and shady, but I don't think I've heard of any actual violent crimes in relation to a dispensary.

Also, I get what your trying to say about your worried what will happen because of what your cities like now, but I've seen the bad side of "drugs" before, and alot worse shit happens the way it is now.

(#36 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Above The Influence. - July 20th 2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -A- View Post
Yes, I know that its nearly impossible to OD on M, but thats not the point. Being "high" is not good for the body, it negatively interferes with the neurological transmitters in the brain which causes the feeling of being high. You know when you get a prescription and it says on the bottle not to drive or do Manuel labor because there is a POSSIBILITY of being drowsy, light headed, disoriented? When you smoke M, you WILL get high and those effects will take place.

As I stated before, there is already a legal varytion of MM that will provide the benefits that MM could have.

Nah, forging your own script is nearly impossible, getting it isn't.

It'd shock you that 8/10 times (I'm just guessing from experience and stuff I know), if you go in knowing exactly what you need to say, you can get exactly what you want. Whether or not the symptoms are really there. Some doctors will try and get you try other things, but its easy enough to say there not working. Alot of people do this, and alot of money is made from it.
Its sad really, someone could smoke them selves to sleep, and for the same price could be getting way more pills than they should safely have. And alot of people aren't educated, so they take em all.

And, as you said the effects will take place, It depends alot on tolerance and how "high" you actually are. If I smoke a joint between me and my friend, I'm not going to be high enough that I'm having any problems doing any of my daily shit, maybe a bit impaired, but it won't interfere (I'd like to say I refuse to drive while intoxicated, I will only skateboard or bike or walk)
It all depends on the person, like all medication. I know people who feel drugged out after taking 5mg percs, while it takes another person to take 60mg of the same shit to feel it.

When it comes down to it,

Not nearly, it is impossible (in smoked form)

(#37 (permalink)) Old
Allons-y! Offline
Don't blink.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Above The Influence. - July 21st 2010, 12:22 AM

I still don't understand how encouraging kids not to use marijuana is a bad thing. You said yourself that
Quote:
people who don't need it for medical use, shouldn't be using it.
So...how exactly is it a bad thing if we tell kids...it's a bad thing?

As I believe Scott said earlier, the people who smoke marijuana are not uneducated. I'd be willing to bet that fewer than 5% of teens have garnered all they know about weed from one internet website.

(#38 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Above The Influence. - July 21st 2010, 01:20 AM

I'm afraid you'll have to excuse the internet slang, but my opinion here can be summed up as: "lol @ stoner rage".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mIssIng:nO
This is internet. Basically anything that isn't outright illegal exists here. If you think Above the Influence is bad, check out the various Westboro Baptist Church pages.

Regarding the unreasonably heated marijuana debate:

Yeah, on the whole marijuana is probably no worse than drinking and probably better than smoking. Yeah, all things considered, it really shouldn't be illegal. But to get so bent out of shape over it when getting your hands on weed is already trivial is just silly. If you want the more skeptical people to listen to you and, y'know, actually get some laws changed, try coming off as someone who's actually capable of sincere discussion, rather than just a raging pothead.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Above The Influence. - July 21st 2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allons-y! View Post
I still don't understand how encouraging kids not to use marijuana is a bad thing. You said yourself that

So...how exactly is it a bad thing if we tell kids...it's a bad thing?

As I believe Scott said earlier, the people who smoke marijuana are not uneducated. I'd be willing to bet that fewer than 5% of teens have garnered all they know about weed from one internet website.
Sorry, I guess I didn't really make my first post clear.

The only thing I was really trying to get across is the entire MMJ part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
I'm afraid you'll have to excuse the internet slang, but my opinion here can be summed up as: "lol @ stoner rage".

This is internet. Basically anything that isn't outright illegal exists here. If you think Above the Influence is bad, check out the various Westboro Baptist Church pages.

Regarding the unreasonably heated marijuana debate:

Yeah, on the whole marijuana is probably no worse than drinking and probably better than smoking. Yeah, all things considered, it really shouldn't be illegal. But to get so bent out of shape over it when getting your hands on weed is already trivial is just silly. If you want the more skeptical people to listen to you and, y'know, actually get some laws changed, try coming off as someone who's actually capable of sincere discussion, rather than just a raging pothead.

I'm Canadian, we're discussing American Laws. I frankly don't care if weed becomes legal or not lol. I strongly support MMJ for people who need it, and I'm not one of them. There is alot worse on the internet then WBC, I used to dwell on them (I bet you can figure it out).

I'm not a raging pot head man, I can't mad when uninformed people make up facts, or don't give any evidence to support their claims. I have no problem with an anti-drug group, kids should be educated about these things, but should be educated properly, not by a site like this.

(#40 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Above The Influence. - July 21st 2010, 03:56 AM

Call me paranoid, but who owns Marijuana-addiction.info? I would take a leap of faith and assume it has something to do with the drug rehab link. It still doesn't list any physical centers and I am curious to call, but I don't want to find out it is a scam or something like Scientology running it. Plus I love how selecting a city will insert the same generic text into the wording but still doesn't give any actual information at drugrehab.com.

I personally don't trust that site. Maybe you can shine some light on it, but it seems like a scam designed to lure people into calling the number. There is zero company info and they want you to either call or send an email. It just sounds like a scam all over.

A large difference between the first site and the second site is that we know who we are dealing with. Jon Gettman owns the second one. There is only a phone number or a form to call. The whois info is private for the marijuana-addiction.info.

Second is that there are sources listed so if you wanted to, you can check out the information and try to find repeated studies on the studies done (I am interested in the driving simulator one.) The first one is not reliable.

There are zero sources listed for the first one.

Seriously, I do hope it was listed in jest. I want to call the number, but I am really scared of it being some number that after I dial the 800 number, it'll dial another number to charge me per minute. It's illegal, but people do do that.
Quote:
I, personally, have no problem with any site designed to keep teenagers away from illegal drugs, alcohol, or tobacco. Besides the fact that those under the age of 18 cannot legally use ANY of those, the fewer people who are addicted to substances that may harm them, the better. Marijuana may have its medical uses, yes. But a healthy twenty year old does not need to be smoking it. I for one think that it is an excellent program

I didn't quote it earlier and I wasn't going to mention it, but the wikipedia article on the site links here: http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d06818.pdf from August of 2006. I know the media ads were going on before that as I graduated in 08 so probably around seventh grade for me. Still think it's a great site?

I don't smoke it, but I don't think I should be the one to judge what people do that may harm them. Swimming in water may harm someone. Want to know about the outbreaks with parasites that are resistant to chlorine at water parks? Want to know about people who drink so much caffeine they have seizures? Want to know about people who binge drink and kill themselves? My roommate binge drank so much he passed out and we thought we were going to have to call 911.

I for one just drink caffeine, but that's a substance that can harm me. In fact, any drug has a potential to harm a person. I could develop blood clots that can travel to my lungs or brain from my birth control. I am not addicted to birth control, but I am addicted to caffeine.

Nothing in excess is good for you. Plus "good for you" is very misleading. Eating enough fiber can lead to a blockage, but it's "good for you." Drinking too much water can kill you, but it's "good for you."

I remember sitting in a room and listening to a marijuana researcher from a respected medical college tell us that marijuana will never be legal due to public backlash so there needs to be a greater understanding how it works so the synthetics can be improved.

Quote:
This thread confuses me. While it could be a debate, really it's only proved to me who the anti-drug members are and who the stoners are.
Considering I have never been drunk (or even affected by alcohol because I drank less than a glass in over several hours and yes, I am of legal age), smoked cigarettes, or any illegal drug, I don't think being pro-choice would make me be a stoner. I don't have to partake in an activity to support someone's right.
Quote:
Yes, I know that its nearly impossible to OD on M, but thats not the point.
You do know that you would probably die of an exploding stomach or of sleep exhaustion before overdosing if you tried to overdose?

Quote:
You know when you get a prescription and it says on the bottle not to drive or do Manuel labor because there is a POSSIBILITY of being drowsy, light headed, disoriented? When you smoke M, you WILL get high and those effects will take place.
Yeah, and so what? Alcohol has those effects and alcohol can kill you if you drink too much whereas you'd die of something else before you could overdose on marijuana. It still would be illegal to drive while high like it is with alcohol. Companies can still drug test if they are doing manual labor. Actually, are you positive that drowsy, light-headed, and disorientation will take place? From talking to people, I was under the impression that it depended on the person and how much rather than a guarantee. It's like benedryl. I take some and I pass out but other people who take it are just fine.

Honestly, lying to kids doesn't work and trying to patronize them doesn't work either. I don't smoke or drink because the sites said it is bad, I don't do it because I don't feel the need to. I do support other people simply because people will still do it and I try to learn from history (Prohibition.) Let adults make their own choices, but don't pretend that running campaigns will change anything.

I think most of you guys are too young to remember the ad campaigns in the nineties that were very untrue. Kids getting knocked up on radio ads because they were high or a girl beating the shit out of the kitchen because "it's your brain on drugs."
Closed Thread