TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Current Events and Debates (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f38-current-events-debates/)
-   -   13-year-old Jonathan Lee plans to visit North Korea (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f38-current-events-debates/t52036-13-year-old-jonathan-lee-plans-visit-north-korea/)

CROSSBOW August 11th 2010 11:24 PM

13-year-old Jonathan Lee plans to visit North Korea

link

A 13-year-old American plans to visit North Korea this week and perhaps meet leader Kim Jong Il to pitch his idea for a "children’s peace forest" in the demilitarized zone.
Jonathan Lee, who was born in South Korea and lives in Mississippi, is scheduled to fly to Pyongyang on Thursday from Beijing with his parents, the family told The Associated Press. They said North Korean officials in Beijing gave them visas Wednesday night.
Jonathan said he expects to meet with North Korean officials and will propose the children’s peace forest, "one in which fruit and chestnut trees would be planted and where children can play."

I wish him luck from being held captive. Hes very brave.!

off to a new life August 12th 2010 05:57 AM

Re: 13-year-old Jonathan Lee plans to visit North Korea

I think it's great he's so ambitious and I wish him lots of luck in his endeavor!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipers (Post 454491)

I wish him luck from being held captive. Hes very brave.!

Considering he has a visa, his cause is noble, he's a child, his parents are South Korean and likely know the laws of North Korea, and his story is in the press I'd say it's highly unlikely he'll be taken captive.

Guile August 12th 2010 07:01 AM

I'm having that whole "Journalists captured in Iran" flashback moment...

Frosty August 12th 2010 08:11 AM

I really don't see the creation of a playground in the middle of a potentially volatile and very militarised border as a good idea.

Marguerite August 12th 2010 09:49 AM

I wish good luck to Samantha Smith!

*****************Jonathan Lee, my bad.

MisplacedDreamer August 12th 2010 02:50 PM

Pretty sure the journalists entered illegally.

Although, wasn't there an actress who was kept in North Korea against her will?

CROSSBOW August 12th 2010 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kismet (Post 454803)
I think it's great he's so ambitious and I wish him lots of luck in his endeavor!

Considering he has a visa, his cause is noble, he's a child, his parents are South Korean and likely know the laws of North Korea, and his story is in the press I'd say it's highly unlikely he'll be taken captive.

Also the leader of Nk can't be trusted.

forfrosne August 13th 2010 07:50 PM

The original idea will be accepted, then their leader will require a barbed fence around the outside with guard patrols, and strict time limits and everything. Or he'll just take them hostage and blackmail money from other countries or something.

SonicFan August 13th 2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 454859)
I really don't see the creation of a playground in the middle of a potentially volatile and very militarised border as a good idea.

I agree, I certainly want any child I care about in a DMZ.

What's more how do we know they aren't being used for recces

Marguerite August 14th 2010 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainOnMe (Post 456074)
Or he'll just take them hostage and blackmail money from other countries or something.

LOL. There is no way that would happen.

forfrosne August 14th 2010 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marguerite (Post 456310)
LOL. There is no way that would happen.

That bit was a joke, but to be honest with North Korea, anything's possible.

Frosty August 14th 2010 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicFan (Post 456076)

I agree, I certainly want any child I care about in a DMZ.

What's more how do we know they aren't being used for recces

It really does sound like the sort of stupid idea you'd get written by a kid in primary school, only it's by an older kid who should know better and it's getting worldwide press like it's not completely stupid. HUURR DUURR LETS PUT TREES AND PLAY ALL HAPPY IN THE MIDDLE OF A POTENTIAL WARZONE DERPDERPDERP

dr2005 August 14th 2010 12:43 PM

You've got to admire the kid's bravery, whatever you think of the merits of the idea. Much as I am sceptical that it will have any real effect on the DMZ or the Korean peninsula as a whole, part of me is gladdened by the fact that there are still people out there willing to go out on a limb and try things like this, and I wish him success in doing so.

On the likelihood of being captured, he's flying from China and the visas were arranged in China which to me suggests China are playing a big part in organising this, so I don't think North Korea is going to piss off the one country that still really supports it by turning this into a hostage situation. If they did then they would find themselves completed isolated and probably would not survive as a country.