TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Hurricane Katrina - August 22nd 2010, 11:45 PM

I am watching a special on TV tonight about Hurricane Katrina and it is such a sad thing. They got no help and there wasn't any medical staff or anything. They didn't even have soldiers drop water or food to these people.

My question is... When the stuff with Haiti happened, they recieved help within hours, but why did no one help New Orleans, etc? Was it George Bush's fault?

Also, it has been 5 years, and there is still severe damage, why is no one doing anything?

Please explain, because this is all confusing me.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Slade Offline
Peep ^_^
Not a n00b

Name: Taylor

Re: Hurricane Katrina - August 23rd 2010, 12:33 AM

Bush was only half the blame, FEMA came in offering relief and put thousands into trailers to be exposed to asbestos. But let's back up. August 23, 2005. The city of New Orleans, and many others were given the word to evacuate, IMEDIATELY. In South Louisiana, there are Hurricane Evacuation roads, that give you the quickest way out of any city south of Alexandria, and they run vertical all the way up the state. While many packed and fled, others didn't have the resources to do so. (eg the elderly, or those in lesser wealthy parts of New Orleans, like the lower 9th) The governor of Louisiana urged everyone to try to leave. Charter buses were sent to South Louisiana from places as far away as Oklahoma to try to get everyone on the coast out. But the roads out of town backed up from everyone fleeing the iminate danger of Katrina, so trafic was often at a standstill, there was no possible way for the buses to make multiple trips, when what should be a 5-6 hour drive to safety took more like 10-12 or more.

Some people thought they could ride out the storm, so they boarded their windows and got comfy. A couple hundred thought they could wait out the storm, those that were trying to get on buses and leave, as Katrina got closer to making landfall, their chances of getting out became less and less, many were trapped in New Orleans due to lack of ways out of the city, and lack of resources. Blah blah blah, Katrina hit as thousands of people watched in awe and horror. The levees keeping Lake Ponchatrain and the Mississippi River out of New Orleans became very weak because there was no annual upkeep put into them to check for structural wear and tear or what have you. Hurricane Rita was the straw that broke the camel's back, causing levees to fail, or even break. New Orleans flooded, and when the storm clouds parted you had a city, underwater. When the levees failed all the water dumped into New Orleans, because geographically, the city is so far under sea level, it's a bowl shape.

Now then, you have people looting stores for food, and other merchandise (that probably was water soaked and didn't work) and people like Kanye West, who never went down to New Orleans to put any of his time, or money into helping the city rebuild, saying that "Bush doesn't care about black people". The president of the United States can not go to a city and forcefully push every single resident out of their homes and make them leave, they all had the option to go, some couldn't afford it, others were too stubborn to go. Haiti, you could go pick up and make progress basically from the get go. New Orleans you had to wait for the rain to stop, emergency crews to go in and check each house for any pets, or people, mark the houses, and essentially wait for all the water to receed before you could even consider letting anyone in the city to assess personal damage, or anything. FEMA made the effort, a very... lackluster effort, but an effort to help the citizens.

To be honest, alot of New Orleans, and greater New Orleans was rebuilt, but a whole lot of people that left before the storm, never came back. Houses in the lower 9th were still there, because the owners never went back to reclaim anything. All of the houses that were there, are no longer. The city of New Orleans tore them down to prevent various things, and because no one would come back for them if they just left them. Businesses also were the same way, some people just never came back.

February 14th, 2009;
The day I set my heart free, forever.

Send a message via AIM to Slade Send a message via MSN to Slade Send a message via Skype™ to Slade 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Hurricane Katrina - August 24th 2010, 04:01 AM

There was an episode on Holmes on Homes, where Mike Holmes and his crew went to New Orleans and built a house back for an old lady who had 10+ grandchildren and whatnot, served with the neighbourhood and was a kind lady. Mike said he'd build her house up to what it was but he decided not to do that, instead he built her a house that was 2-3x times larger and more stable.

Many residents in that area are in poverty so they cant renovate or easily move to somewhere good and safe. Many of the houses that were destroyed have parts still there because residents either were killed or moved elsewhere, so they had no reason to come back to their house. They showed lots of this on the Holmes on Homes where there were front steps with a railing but that's all that's left for some places. The rest either got torn to small pieces or was removed by people after the hurricane but some of it still was there. Most of this seemed to be in the poorer areas and the richer areas were all rebuilt.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread