TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Dangerous dogs... - August 30th 2010, 03:31 PM

I just read an article on my RSS feed, and damn =/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-11128124

I'm not sure how common this is in other parts of the UK, but in the cities of the UK, you often see huge, bear-like dogs barely kept under control by their protruding-forehead-ed owner, where you find yourself wondering whether you're in more danger of being mauled by the dog or stabbed by the owner...

I mean, let me make my stance clear, I think it's definitely the owner's fault when, at times like this, when dogs maul children, since all dogs can be trained, but if they're not, then it's no-one but the owners' fault. Since even if they know their pets to be aggressive, they should be muzzled when taken out for walks.

I guess I also have a personal viewpoint in this since I kinda get nervous around dogs, completely irrationally, just because of one that attacked me when I was 9-ish, doing a paper round. It's silly I know, hence 'irrationally', since I generally quite like dogs anyway ^^;

But that makes me think...imagine what the little girl would be like now? =/

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Dangerous dogs... - August 30th 2010, 05:37 PM

It is the owner's fault even if they have trouble controlling aggressive dogs they own. All dogs can be trained and become less and less aggressive. When the owners don't do this either because they couldn't be bothered or they don't know what to do, then they should think if they should even own a dog. At a nearby dog park where I take my dog to, I've helped stop a bunch of dog fights and helped get the dogs under control using the same methods every time. One owner owns a particularly aggressive attack dog but even when off-leash, he can tell the dog to stop attacking and the dog obeys. If the dogs don't, then that's the problem of the owner. Even aggressive dogs need to be provoked to go and maul someone. It's awful though because often the dog gets blamed, which is true because the dog did the attacking but it's not the dog's fault the owners are awful.

But for big dogs that are gentle, the owner still needs to be in control because the dogs can be strong. For example, a near-by dog owner owns a Newfoundland lab/retriever, and these dogs weigh at least over [Edited by Casey-Removing weight figures] but they're gentle. If they get excited around a small kid, even a small nudge can knock a kid over. The owner still needs to be there though.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Last edited by Casey.; September 3rd 2010 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Please do not post any weight figures, even of animals, as it is against the TOS

(#3 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Re: Dangerous dogs... - August 30th 2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! View Post
It is the owner's fault even if they have trouble controlling aggressive dogs they own. All dogs can be trained and become less and less aggressive. When the owners don't do this either because they couldn't be bothered or they don't know what to do, then they should think if they should even own a dog. At a nearby dog park where I take my dog to, I've helped stop a bunch of dog fights and helped get the dogs under control using the same methods every time. One owner owns a particularly aggressive attack dog but even when off-leash, he can tell the dog to stop attacking and the dog obeys. If the dogs don't, then that's the problem of the owner. Even aggressive dogs need to be provoked to go and maul someone. It's awful though because often the dog gets blamed, which is true because the dog did the attacking but it's not the dog's fault the owners are awful.

But for big dogs that are gentle, the owner still needs to be in control because the dogs can be strong. For example, a near-by dog owner owns a Newfoundland lab/retriever, and these dogs weigh at least over[Edited] but they're gentle. If they get excited around a small kid, even a small nudge can knock a kid over. The owner still needs to be there though.
i have to agree with that..

i really dont blame the dog or the owner in most cases i have read you'll later find out the kid was doing something that provoked the dog.. i was walking down the sidewalk one day and i saw this kids poking this german sheperd with a stick that was in someones yard... i bet if that dog would have attacked the brat. the brat would have said he wasnt doing nothing to it and it just attacked him....

theres 2 sides to every story all im saying.

Last edited by Casey.; September 3rd 2010 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Editing quote.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Dangerous dogs... - August 30th 2010, 06:17 PM

I don't think so in this case. I've read the same story at a few different sources other than the one I linked to (which was just the first at hand), and the wee girl was just riding her bike. And dogs do chase things that are moving, which is definitely the owners' fault for not training their dogs to not do this.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Dangerous dogs... - August 30th 2010, 06:27 PM

See, only times I've seen a vicious dog, it's been the owner's fault. The owners will neglect them, beat them, not train them, etc., causing the animal to have a bad temperament. Even the breeds that are supposedly known for being vicious (i.e. Pitbulls, Bulldogs, etc.), I've seen docile.

My one life-long friend had a pitbull for 15 years that was sweet as could be. And they currently have 2 more pitbulls, both sweet dogs. So it wasn't just a fluke. And we have a bulldog, who we got from the Humane Society, who was in an abusive situation beforehand, but with some TLC (Tender Loving Care), he's been broken of most of the nasty habits he had before (like freaking out at "Black" people, on TV or in real life; freaking out at sirens on TV and real life, and other things). The ONLY issue we have with him and people is when my oldest brother comes over. But my oldest brother is very obnoxious, loud, and he hugs, pokes, and bugs everyone against their will, so I guess he sees him as a threat..?

So honestly, I blame the owners entirely, UNLESS the dog was kind of "damaged beyond repair" by a previous housing situation. But many dogs can be trained, and even rehabilitated, as long as they're given the right care.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#6 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Dangerous dogs... - August 30th 2010, 07:05 PM

It's almost always the owner's fault for making the dog like that. That said, a lot of the time the dog is provoked. Not all the time though. Like in my town, there's a lady with three HUUUUGE dogs and they're reeally violent. Attacked a bunch of people and had a got at me and my dog (the most pathetically adorable dog in the world ). They don't need any provokation to attack someone. At the same time, it's very hard to willingfully put down your pet as they feel like your best friend or family or something in the end.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Tess* Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Tess

Re: Dangerous dogs... - August 30th 2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Circumstances View Post
Since even if they know their pets to be aggressive, they should be muzzled when taken out for walks.
Yup, should be trained or muzzled.

Quote:
Even aggressive dogs need to be provoked to go and maul someone.
Eh, usually, not always.
And what about other dogs? 9 times out of 10, a dog sees another dog and instantly barks at it. I have a really small dog. When she was younger we'd take her on walks.. we'd have her on a leash, she'd be minding her own business, then some huge dog would run over to her.. and not in a friendly way. A couple times I put myself in harms way to bend over and scoop her up. A couple times I had to gently push the dog away with my foot/leg.
I would just look at their owner flabbergasted that they let the dog do that.

How's your life? It's been a while
God, it's good to see you smile
<3

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Squid

Re: Dangerous dogs... - August 30th 2010, 09:21 PM

I really don't understand how some people just cannot accept the fact that some animals are naturally vicious and dangerous. Of course, the owner and their handling of the animal would contribute to the dog's behaviour and attitude, I am not saying that it is entirely the dog's fault.

A case like this is very serious, and I do not see why certain dogs are not banned, as they are naturally dangerous, it's their nature, hence why they are used by the police and as guard dogs, which is fine. They are of good use there as it is what they are naturally good at, being vicious and frightening people.

Rottweilers are also naturally good natured and obedient too, I am not ignoring that. Just when something like this happens (which it has quite a few times) it makes you wonder if those good qualities (which are prevalent in most of the dogs) are really worth the risks (which are possible in all of the dogs).

This little girl was completely innocent, luckily she will survive, yet will have to live life with severe scarring, just because of two dogs which were not controlled. I just believe it would be much wiser for us to live in a place where you don't need to have complete control over an animal (which is not always possible) to prevent something like this happening. As humans, we feel we can gain complete control over animals, that is what we want to do. Animals of course are seperate beings and should be able to do as the please, as it's their life. If this (mauling things) is what they want to do, then by all means, they can. But not when it means almost killing innocent passers by in the street. Do you see what I mean? Put them somewhere where they are free to do what they want, without getting killed for it (As these two dogs now will be). Let them do what they naturally do, hunt. They are just not suitable as pets and never have been.

I know it sounds like I am defending these animals, which I am a little, but I am mainly defending the safety of the public. It is not the dogs' fault to have this nature. It is what they were bred to do.

Wow, I have written for a long time. Thanks, you kept my mind of other issues for a looooong time

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: Dangerous dogs... - August 30th 2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
I really don't understand how some people just cannot accept the fact that some animals are naturally vicious and dangerous. Of course, the owner and their handling of the animal would contribute to the dog's behaviour and attitude, I am not saying that it is entirely the dog's fault.

A case like this is very serious, and I do not see why certain dogs are not banned, as they are naturally dangerous, it's their nature, hence why they are used by the police and as guard dogs, which is fine. They are of good use there as it is what they are naturally good at, being vicious and frightening people.
Well here, pitbulls have been banned, because they're apparently "vicious", yet as I mentioned above, I know a family that has had 3 pitbulls, from different breeders, that are sweet as can be, not a vicious bone in their bodies.

So blaming it on the breed seems silly.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Dangerous dogs... - August 30th 2010, 11:42 PM

it makes me so sad when i see stories of little kids being mauled by dangerous dogs. yes obviously a large portion of the blame needs to be put on the owner but some dogs are just naturally more vicious than others. there are cases of completely unprovoked attacks.. all the time.

i saw a programme not long ago about battersea dogs home and how they were having to put down loads of staffies because they were too vicious and too much of a risk to keep. i fully support putting dogs down when there is a decent chance that they could attack and possible kill someone.

unfortunately having staffies has turned into some what of a status symbol within certain.. urrr.. groups (trying not to offend anyone here) of people. they breed these dogs for fighting and whatever else. it's horrible. it's very intimidating and quite scary when you go to a park and theres a group of chavs with a pitbull or staffy each.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Dangerous dogs... - August 31st 2010, 02:44 AM

Depends on how the dog was raised.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Dangerous dogs... - August 31st 2010, 06:00 AM

I think it is completely the owners fault when it comes to dog attacks, but it is not the owners fault that the dog is naturally agressive. And to be honest, whether a dog was provoked or not, if it is capable of attacking a human, i agree with it being put down. I mean sure theres the whole 'its not fair on the dog' but when you think about it, children are a lot more important and it is very unlikely that people will ever state the opposite.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Dangerous dogs... - August 31st 2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ArcAngel- View Post
Well here, pitbulls have been banned, because they're apparently "vicious", yet as I mentioned above, I know a family that has had 3 pitbulls, from different breeders, that are sweet as can be, not a vicious bone in their bodies.

So blaming it on the breed seems silly.
I also mentioned that they aren't all like that, I know that there are many exceptions, I do realise that. I was just saying is it worth the risk, there are hundreds of dog breeds to choose from, why keep one that is susceptible to turning nasty.

+ I wasn't blaming it entirely on the breed, but they do play a part in it.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Dangerous dogs... - August 31st 2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess* View Post
Eh, usually, not always.
And what about other dogs? 9 times out of 10, a dog sees another dog and instantly barks at it. I have a really small dog. When she was younger we'd take her on walks.. we'd have her on a leash, she'd be minding her own business, then some huge dog would run over to her.. and not in a friendly way. A couple times I put myself in harms way to bend over and scoop her up. A couple times I had to gently push the dog away with my foot/leg.
I would just look at their owner flabbergasted that they let the dog do that.
The same goes usually for other dogs. Just because a bigger dog runs up to a smaller dog, doesn't mean it's going to maul it. If you could gently nudge the on-coming dog with your leg, then it wasn't a big dog attacking or it was a big dog not attacking. So what if another dog barks at a dog? It's a way for communication. It's like saying 9 times out of 10, a person says something to another person. What's your point, other than saying that dogs bark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainOnMe
It's almost always the owner's fault for making the dog like that
For the most part, I agree but I disagree that it's not always the current owners who may have influenced a dog in such a way. One of my dogs used to try to tear another dog to pieces if it came too close but what we found accidentally, was that he wasn't nasty to all dogs just because he was nasty. He was an extremely protective dog that took quite a long time for him to even become used to us. I don't know if he was naturally like this but I sincerely doubt it because when we saw him at the animal shelter, he was the only dog huddled up against the wall, terrified to death of any human's presence. The shelter told us of some of the things that happened to him, so we had trouble getting him to be friendly with other dogs. Even if he saw the same dog walking down the block with the same owner, he'd still do this. We finally managed to get him to stop it. The only time he got really aggressive later on was to certain people, which was a bit odd because the person wasn't even near us and he'd be growling as if he wanted to attack. Yet to all others, even kids, he'd let them fluff his fur and he'd lick them endlessly. But only to a few people, even during daylight, he'd become that aggressive. Fortunately we never took him off his leash when this happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma01
And to be honest, whether a dog was provoked or not, if it is capable of attacking a human, i agree with it being put down.
All dogs can attack a human. One of my cousin's chiauaus was a nasty damn dog that would attack almost every person's ankles because it couldn't reach that much higher. Even when I come over to her house and would do so for years and years, the dog kept doing this. Should it be put down? I sometimes did get some gashes along my ankles and my cousin would scoop the dog up or I'd just pick it up or use a basic technique to get it to piss off. But even a small dog can attack a human, just like a big pitbull can.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Dangerous dogs... - August 31st 2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma01 View Post
I think it is completely the owners fault when it comes to dog attacks, but it is not the owners fault that the dog is naturally agressive. And to be honest, whether a dog was provoked or not, if it is capable of attacking a human, i agree with it being put down. I mean sure theres the whole 'its not fair on the dog' but when you think about it, children are a lot more important and it is very unlikely that people will ever state the opposite.
ill state the opposite.. in my eyes its better the dogs nips there hand or ankle..specially if they just kicked or twisted my dogs ears. lot less severe then what id likelly do...

Last edited by The ANTI-Troll; August 31st 2010 at 02:34 PM.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Tess* Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Tess

Re: Dangerous dogs... - September 2nd 2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
The same goes usually for other dogs. Just because a bigger dog runs up to a smaller dog, doesn't mean it's going to maul it. If you could gently nudge the on-coming dog with your leg, then it wasn't a big dog attacking or it was a big dog not attacking. So what if another dog barks at a dog? It's a way for communication. It's like saying 9 times out of 10, a person says something to another person. What's your point, other than saying that dogs bark?
I didn't say they just bark. To make it short: Once I had a huge dog run up to my dog, no leash, no muzzle, teeth bared. I bent down to grab my dog which put my face inches away from this dog's teeth. Yes I pushed it away with my leg but that didn't do much. (I had used the work "gently" pretty much so no one misunderstood and thought I go around kicking dogs). It followed us (still growling) till the owner -finally- came looking for it.
Similar things have happened several times. Once I even asked an owner to grab their dog and they didn't.
Point is, I blame the owners for not controlling their dogs and that they can not only harm people, but other pets too.

How's your life? It's been a while
God, it's good to see you smile
<3

(#17 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Dangerous dogs... - September 2nd 2010, 11:33 AM

It's mainly the owners fault for not controlling their dog. That said, if they were a GOOD owner, they shouldn't need to control it. That said, if a child runs up and twists the dogs tail, a little nip on the ankle or something is justified. You can't expect dogs to just sit there and take it, and then put it down when it retaliates.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Dangerous dogs... - September 2nd 2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainOnMe View Post
That said, if they were a GOOD owner, they shouldn't need to control it.
I think what you mean is "if they were a GOOD dog, they shouldn't need to control it."

(#19 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Dangerous dogs... - September 2nd 2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
It's mainly the owners fault for not controlling their dog. That said, if they were a GOOD owner, they shouldn't need to control it. That said, if a child runs up and twists the dogs tail, a little nip on the ankle or something is justified. You can't expect dogs to just sit there and take it, and then put it down when it retaliates.
+1

i been bit countless times by dogs be it playing with them or messing with them with a laser pointer.... why would i want a dog put down for something i caused?

(#20 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Dangerous dogs... - September 2nd 2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:

I think what you mean is "if they were a GOOD dog, they shouldn't need to control it."
No, I don't. Dogs are, by nature, wild animals. This is why they are raised in civilized society to be trained and taught what not to do. If the owner fails in raising the dog well, then it's the owners fault, not the dogs.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
KiwiGal Offline
Perfect just as you are
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Beka

Re: Dangerous dogs... - September 2nd 2010, 08:13 PM

it could be a sterotypically "visious dog" and raised by the right people, the dog will be sweet and nice. but thn those steroypical visious dogs will get brought up by gang members or people who abuse them therefore there is more chance of the dog being bloody visious.

KEEP YOUR CHIN UP!
NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY
YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!
<3<3<3<3

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Dangerous dogs... - September 3rd 2010, 12:27 AM

Breed has NOTHING o do with it, as yes they were BRED for certain things, BUT many times it has been BRED OUT of them just as it was bred in. If I mistreat a lab (usually "nice" dogs they are likely to become dangerous just like any dog tat is abused.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Dangerous dogs... - September 3rd 2010, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess* View Post
I didn't say they just bark. To make it short: Once I had a huge dog run up to my dog, no leash, no muzzle, teeth bared. I bent down to grab my dog which put my face inches away from this dog's teeth. Yes I pushed it away with my leg but that didn't do much. (I had used the work "gently" pretty much so no one misunderstood and thought I go around kicking dogs). It followed us (still growling) till the owner -finally- came looking for it.
Similar things have happened several times. Once I even asked an owner to grab their dog and they didn't.
Point is, I blame the owners for not controlling their dogs and that they can not only harm people, but other pets too.
I agree, the owners should be in control of their dogs, regardless if it is a big vicious dog or not. I've had some owners do the same when one of my dogs was still a puppy. I wasn't sure if it wanted to play or not but my puppy was almost shitting itself it was so scared. The owners always ran or walked to get their dog and it usually ended up in me grabbing their dog by the collar, then when the owner comes and if they apologize or say thanks, or even ask why I did that, I always begin by telling them if they were competent enough to walk and chew gum at the same time, this wouldn't have happened. Several times their dog just wanted to play roughly but other times it did take a snap at my dog.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Dangerous dogs... - September 3rd 2010, 04:27 AM

Animals, in general, are dangerous from a human perspective, because they are 'wild', and animals tend to act like, well animals. They don't know any better. I'm of a different mind here. The owners should train their dog, and treat it well, and they wouldn't have too big of a problem. A dog can still snap, ev en then, but at least if it's trained well and not used for fighting or treated cruelly, it should be able to interact with others okay. I personally want a pitbull, and not because they are 'cool', or even beautiful, which I think they are. I love animals, and I'm not afraid of them. I also know that many aren't treated well, and to change the life of one dog would make me happy. My point is, in essence, that yes, dogs are dangerous. But hey, at least they don't have guns.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Dangerous dogs... - September 3rd 2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love dogs View Post
Breed has NOTHING o do with it
... Yes it does.

Just like all other animals, breed does play a significant part. For example, different breeds of horses have very different temperements, an arab is typically quite jumpy and excitable and generally high strung whilst a Welsh is much more calm and docile.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Dangerous dogs... - September 3rd 2010, 06:29 PM

breed does play a part in it...

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Dangerous dogs... - September 3rd 2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ArcAngel- View Post
See, only times I've seen a vicious dog, it's been the owner's fault.
It's ALWAYS the fault of a human, whether the current owner or a previous owner. (Healthy) Dogs aren't just born aggressive.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Re: Dangerous dogs... - September 3rd 2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love dogs View Post
Breed has NOTHING o do with it, as yes they were BRED for certain things, BUT many times it has been BRED OUT of them just as it was bred in. If I mistreat a lab (usually "nice" dogs they are likely to become dangerous just like any dog tat is abused.
Nature vs. nurture is another debate.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Dangerous dogs... - September 4th 2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:

No, I don't. Dogs are, by nature, wild animals. This is why they are raised in civilized society to be trained and taught what not to do. If the owner fails in raising the dog well, then it's the owners fault, not the dogs.
I never said it wasn't the owners fault, and I agree with that point entirely. I was just saying that some dogs have qualities which you can't "train out". Of course if the owner doesn't train the dog well, obviously blame is put onto the owner, that's just common sense. But I have heard that some of these cases of dogs mauling people have been done by, in most people who new the dog's eyes, a good dog who had been trained. You can only train out aggressive animal instinct to a certain extent.

And to those who said that dogs react to being hurt: You say that many of these dogs are good and only react to being provoked, which you say is fine and understandable. What about, if a child (Who knew no better and was just playing) pulled a dog's tail, and the dog reacted aggressively and seriously hurt the child. Yes, the dog was reacting on instinct, but is that really acceptable? It could have been a perfectly fine family dog, but just out on a walk, on a lead, and a child runs up... You cannot blame the dog for being what it is, but in some cases that is what it is and it isn't safe.

I would say all of these dogs susceptable to aggression should wear a muzzle, but I just think that that is kind of cruel. We have already selectively bred dogs to tailor our needs, they have to follow our every command etc... How would you feel with this mesh thing around your nose and mouth? It would just be a lot easier if people chose other breeds of dog instead of an aggressive one which they have to train and train and train and then lock its mouth up to prevent it injuring people...

I don't know, it's just how I feel.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Alrex Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Dangerous dogs... - September 4th 2010, 11:30 AM

Didn't read any of the posts here, but

I got a chunk of my arm torn out by a dog while walking home from work at 1:00 am

Later on that week the same pitbull bit a child.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
PGP Offline
Nothing
Junior TeenHelper

Name: PGP

Re: Dangerous dogs... - September 4th 2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrex View Post
Didn't read any of the posts here, but

I got a chunk of my arm torn out by a dog while walking home from work at 1:00 am

Later on that week the same pitbull bit a child.
similar thing happened to me, cept the dog didn't get a chance to bite me

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Dangerous dogs... - September 4th 2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:

... Yes it does.

Just like all other animals, breed does play a significant part. For example, different breeds of horses have very different temperements, an arab is typically quite jumpy and excitable and generally high strung whilst a Welsh is much more calm and docile.
What I meant is although certain breeds have different personallities ALL dogs can be trained one way or the other when started early enough and given the right care and treatment.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Dangerous dogs... - September 4th 2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:

I never said it wasn't the owners fault, and I agree with that point entirely. I was just saying that some dogs have qualities which you can't "train out". Of course if the owner doesn't train the dog well, obviously blame is put onto the owner, that's just common sense. But I have heard that some of these cases of dogs mauling people have been done by, in most people who new the dog's eyes, a good dog who had been trained. You can only train out aggressive animal instinct to a certain extent.

And to those who said that dogs react to being hurt: You say that many of these dogs are good and only react to being provoked, which you say is fine and understandable. What about, if a child (Who knew no better and was just playing) pulled a dog's tail, and the dog reacted aggressively and seriously hurt the child. Yes, the dog was reacting on instinct, but is that really acceptable? It could have been a perfectly fine family dog, but just out on a walk, on a lead, and a child runs up... You cannot blame the dog for being what it is, but in some cases that is what it is and it isn't safe.

I would say all of these dogs susceptable to aggression should wear a muzzle, but I just think that that is kind of cruel. We have already selectively bred dogs to tailor our needs, they have to follow our every command etc... How would you feel with this mesh thing around your nose and mouth? It would just be a lot easier if people chose other breeds of dog instead of an aggressive one which they have to train and train and train and then lock its mouth up to prevent it injuring people...

I don't know, it's just how I feel.
acceptable in my eyes parents should be watching the kid...everytime i read about a dog attack with a small child no parents were around... personally i wouldnt trust a small child around any dogs alone on account i seen how kids treat animals.....

(#34 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Dangerous dogs... - September 4th 2010, 05:50 PM

Yeah ok I was saying "IF", but parents can lose control of children very easily, all I am saying, just like owners can lose control of dogs etc...

Shrug

(#35 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Dangerous dogs... - September 4th 2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah ok I was saying "IF", but parents can lose control of children very easily, all I am saying, just like owners can lose control of dogs etc...

Shrug
you asked a question. i answered...

(#36 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: Dangerous dogs... - September 4th 2010, 10:52 PM

Okay, I have a personal story to add to this.

We have a bulldog, came from an abusive situation. He used to get angered easily. Since we got him, about 5 years ago, he has developed a better attitude.

Now, when we have my youngest nephew over (who is 1 1/2), the nephew can fall on the dog, sit on the dog, hit the dog (when trying to pet him of course), accidentally step on the dog, and so much more, and he won't even flinch. He understands now how to behave properly.

However, he is always watching my oldest brother when he comes over, since my oldest brother likes latching on to us against our will, playfighting, yelling, etc. and well, I guess he sees my brother as a threat to the family.

So, a bulldog, that WAS in an abusive situation and is KNOWN for being a "Red Zone" dog (bad temperament, easily aggravated, etc.), can handle a child HURTING him unintentionally, because of how THE OWNERS treated the dog.

(#37 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Dangerous dogs... - September 5th 2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
All dogs can attack a human. One of my cousin's chiauaus was a nasty damn dog that would attack almost every person's ankles because it couldn't reach that much higher. Even when I come over to her house and would do so for years and years, the dog kept doing this. Should it be put down? I sometimes did get some gashes along my ankles and my cousin would scoop the dog up or I'd just pick it up or use a basic technique to get it to piss off. But even a small dog can attack a human, just like a big pitbull can.
Okay okay I am not talking about a dog getting over excited and biting an ankle. Oh my god get an ambulance. Sorry but I am talking about people that are put in hospital, I am sure you are well aware of cases out there where peoples faces are destroyed and people are killed. Im talking about dog ATTACKS, not a nip on the ankle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ANTI-Troll View Post
ill state the opposite.. in my eyes its better the dogs nips there hand or ankle..specially if they just kicked or twisted my dogs ears. lot less severe then what id likelly do...
Once again I am not talking about being nipped in the ankle!!! Gosh, I thought that was kinda obvious! I am talking about dog ATTACKS where people are mauled by dogs, sometimes even killed. Do I have to put a picture on here of what I mean!??!?

(#38 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Dangerous dogs... - September 5th 2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma01 View Post

Okay okay I am not talking about a dog getting over excited and biting an ankle. Oh my god get an ambulance. Sorry but I am talking about people that are put in hospital, I am sure you are well aware of cases out there where peoples faces are destroyed and people are killed. Im talking about dog ATTACKS, not a nip on the ankle.

Once again I am not talking about being nipped in the ankle!!! Gosh, I thought that was kinda obvious! I am talking about dog ATTACKS where people are mauled by dogs, sometimes even killed. Do I have to put a picture on here of what I mean!??!?
dont care...if they provoked the dog and twisted its ears stepped on it pulled its tails,etc,.... it can do what it wants to the person to make them stop

Last edited by The ANTI-Troll; September 5th 2010 at 05:00 PM.

(#39 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Re: Dangerous dogs... - September 5th 2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:

Well obviously, they're animals. You can't blame a dog for being a dog. People tend to humanize dogs way too much. If a child touches fire they get burnt, is it the fire's fault? If a child hurts a dog they are going to get bitten, it's not the dog's fault. Most dogs aren't going to attack unless they are attacked first(or think they are being attacked), and just because they defend themselves it does not make them dangerous.

(#40 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Dangerous dogs... - September 8th 2010, 01:39 PM

I saw this update on the original story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-11227972

Closed Thread