TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

View Poll Results: What organized religion do you belong to?
Christianity 6 46.15%
Catholicism 3 23.08%
Mormonism (LDS) 0 0%
Islam 0 0%
Judiasm 0 0%
Buddism 1 7.69%
Evangelical Christian 0 0%
Hinduism 0 0%
other 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
footfoot Offline
My pal's name is foot foot.
Average Joe

Points: 10,569, Level: 15 Points: 10,569, Level: 15 Points: 10,569, Level: 15

do you feel marginalized by your religion? - September 3rd 2010, 03:56 AM

I wrote a final paper focusing on the the role of women in Islam and Mormonism and how these women balance their identities in faiths that seemingly marginalize their gender.

For example: In Mormonism only men are allowed the Priesthood, which basically means that only men are considered worthy enough to talk to God directly. In certain places in Islam, women are forced to wear veils and cover their skin in order to stay pure and not offend others.

In my research I found women that put aside the veil and women that welcomed the veil and did not find its meaning offensive. I found Mormon women that thought men deserved the priesthood because it made them feel important and that women had enough responsibilities that they didn't need official ones. I also found Mormon women that objected to men monopolizing official religious positions.

These are just two religions.

I am curious how you feel you identify with your religion as it hinders, helps, or otherwise affects you as a woman or a man. This applies to people that belong to organized religion.

For the record, I belong to no organized religion.

Last edited by footfoot; September 3rd 2010 at 04:42 AM.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Points: 39,834, Level: 28 Points: 39,834, Level: 28 Points: 39,834, Level: 28

Re: do you feel marginalized by your religion? - September 3rd 2010, 04:03 AM

I actually voted Christian, but sometimes I feel rejected by both the church and the outside. More the church at this point and time.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
footfoot Offline
Average Joe

Re: do you feel marginalized by your religion? - September 3rd 2010, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
I actually voted Christian, but sometimes I feel rejected by both the church and the outside. More the church at this point and time.
Can you elaborate? Do you feel rejected on a gender level or on a imbalance in what you believe and what the church/outside wants you to believe? And
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: do you feel marginalized by your religion? - September 3rd 2010, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfoot View Post
Can you elaborate? Do you feel rejected on a gender level or on a imbalance in what you believe and what the church/outside wants you to believe? And
I feel that since my views are based on Christianity, but are not pure to what they would like me to believe, they feel as if I'm a sinner to be saved.... Still. Even thought I have attained my Salvation they still want to mold me. If I speak up, they don't like it. If I stick up for people that are not of my religion or say I'm against converting others they don't like that either. Just things like that.

I feel rejected by the outside world because they are judging me based off the fact that I'm a Christian. They label me to be like the rest and It pisses me off. Because I believe in a creater, a Lord, a higher power... I'm considered stupid. And when I say science and faith go hand in hand.. They simple ignore that because they don't know what to say.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
John 6:29 Offline
Romans 2:6-8
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 17,013, Level: 18 Points: 17,013, Level: 18 Points: 17,013, Level: 18

Re: do you feel marginalized by your religion? - September 3rd 2010, 04:38 AM

I voted other. The reason being is because if my organized religions standards are opposed to the Bible I do not mold to their views, but to what the Bible says. If that makes sense. I do go to a building every Sunday, but I can tell you if something overtly heretical is said by a Pastor, I'm gone.

It seems there's a lot of heresy going on in Churches all over and splits in denominations and the like, so yes, I'm part of Christianity, but there's a whole sect of it that is just counter-biblical teaching.

I go to a non-denomination bible church. I am a "High Calvinist" in my doctrinal beliefs. That is, in regards to TULIP.

"Daniel broke the kings decree, Peter stepped from the ship to the sea, there was hope for Job like a cut down tree... I hope that there's such hope for me... Blind as I've become, I used to wonder where you were. These days I can't find where You're not. Mine's been a yard carefully surface tended, foxes burrowed underground. Gardening so highly self-recommended, what could I have done but let You down? The sun and the moon, I want to see both worlds as one." -Aaron Weiss, mewithoutYou
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
footfoot Offline
Average Joe

Re: do you feel marginalized by your religion? - September 3rd 2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
I feel that since my views are based on Christianity, but are not pure to what they would like me to believe, they feel as if I'm a sinner to be saved.... Still. Even thought I have attained my Salvation they still want to mold me. If I speak up, they don't like it. If I stick up for people that are not of my religion or say I'm against converting others they don't like that either. Just things like that.

I feel rejected by the outside world because they are judging me based off the fact that I'm a Christian. They label me to be like the rest and It pisses me off. Because I believe in a creater, a Lord, a higher power... I'm considered stupid. And when I say science and faith go hand in hand.. They simple ignore that because they don't know what to say.
I can understand the frustrations here. I struggle not to judge my intensely religious friend. However, I always welcome her to defend her faith, contradict it, and explain it to me.

On a general level, I think a lot of people find these personal contradictions in their churches. Specifically, though, I'm wondering if you feel judged as a woman by your church or by outsiders seeing you as a christian woman.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Re: do you feel marginalized by your religion? - September 3rd 2010, 08:21 PM

Im Catholic, and girls that dont become priests are extremely happy to be nuns, so they dont mind that they cant be priests. Its a generalization, I guess, but oh well.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: do you feel marginalized by your religion? - September 3rd 2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfoot View Post
I can understand the frustrations here. I struggle not to judge my intensely religious friend. However, I always welcome her to defend her faith, contradict it, and explain it to me.

On a general level, I think a lot of people find these personal contradictions in their churches. Specifically, though, I'm wondering if you feel judged as a woman by your church or by outsiders seeing you as a christian woman.

It's strange because my church doesn't do anything wrong to their women. We have equal rights... But there are a few men who I've heard that use the old "submit to your husband" scripture. There is a huge thing I do not like though... My church is very sports oriented and we actually own a community gym called Lords Gym. It's awesome but with that I find that with sports.. Comes masculinity.

So sometimes I do feel rejected as a women in a passive way, but not directly.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Points: 16,580, Level: 18 Points: 16,580, Level: 18 Points: 16,580, Level: 18

Re: do you feel marginalized by your religion? - September 7th 2010, 02:29 AM

I voted Christianity for the most part. I'm still working on defining my religoous beliefs

I was raised mormom so i know all about the marginalzation and the justification of it. Basically it comes down to woman can give birth and "create life" and thus have so much holy burden that it is that it would not be fair to give them another duty to fullfill. It was one of a madryd of reasons I left the church. I am a strong beliefer in equal oppotunity for those willing. so i think it is bullshit to give men a closer position to god and the church so that the wife can stay home.

As for if I feel marginalized now...Well it's not because of my gender but because of my sexuality. I am bisexual. I haven't really come out in front of an envangilical or anything, but i am out spoken on LGBT rights, and that has gotten me a lot of flak here already.

That along side that I honestly to not belief that I am a sinner and that you can think sexual and violent thoughts every once in a while and still make it into heaven. And I belief that mastubation is 100% normal and healthy, and that pre-marital sex is ok as long as you are aware of what you are getting into. And that homosexuality is just another expression of human sexuality and it is not a sin or makes for bad or imoral citizens or parents. And that I still belief in basic cosmology and intelligent design instead of the strict Genesis account. And that I voted for Obama...the list goes on

Yet i am a believe in God and that Jesus walked the earth and died for our sins. I am a black sheep by my own making and i wouldn't change it for the world

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bernadette

Points: 12,829, Level: 16 Points: 12,829, Level: 16 Points: 12,829, Level: 16

Re: do you feel marginalized by your religion? - September 7th 2010, 03:06 AM

I myself have never felt marginalised in my practice in Wicca, but that might be due to the fact that I was a Solitary for so long and never went through the "proper" initiations/degrees. Though I could see where some women could feel marginalised in the area of the maiden-versus-mother-versus-crone aspects.

There was and, I still believe, still is a lot of controversy about training women to "replace" the high priestess once she retires, mostly because it seems to fuel the idea that once a woman is old and no longer beautiful, her duties are no longer wanted. However, like I said, I myself have never felt marginalised.

Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Jenny. Offline
~Computer Hugger~
Not a n00b

Name: Jenny

Points: 10,023, Level: 14 Points: 10,023, Level: 14 Points: 10,023, Level: 14

Re: do you feel marginalized by your religion? - September 7th 2010, 12:54 PM

In my religion, I don't feel like any gender has the upper hand at anything. I used to lead worship at my church and no one thought anything about it. So no, I don't feel marginalized.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
ralphedison Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ralph Edison

Points: 8,943, Level: 13 Points: 8,943, Level: 13 Points: 8,943, Level: 13

Re: do you feel marginalized by your religion? - September 7th 2010, 03:24 PM

I'm a Catholic and voted for it. For me, I never felt restricted by my own beliefs, men and women have basically equal rights except that only men can be priest but women can be nuns (but being one of those are only optional) and we are very much liberal, maybe that's also a part of my nation's culture, anyway all the teachings here are what my culture depicts as morally correct.

"He who does not know how to look back at where he came from will never get to his destination."
Jose Rizal
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
John 6:29 Offline
Romans 2:6-8
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 17,013, Level: 18 Points: 17,013, Level: 18 Points: 17,013, Level: 18

Re: do you feel marginalized by your religion? - September 7th 2010, 11:17 PM

I don't feel marginalized, but I am a man. I believe that God has given specific roles to man and woman. Not that one is more important than the other, but woman can do such things that man can't, and vice versa.

Not to be stereotypical, but an example of this would be: Men ask for help with childcare, and women ask for help lifting things.

There's just certain things than men and women seem to be consistently more efficient on an overall basis. But psychology does the same thing. It marginalizes billions of people into a few groups.

IMHO, a lot of people are for "equal rights," but only when it benefits them. In areas where it doesn't benefit them, then they don't want equal rights in that specific area. In fact, it seems like more equal rights issues tend to treat the minority better, not equal. It's kind of contradicting.

Anyways, whether we like our "roles" or not is another story.

"Daniel broke the kings decree, Peter stepped from the ship to the sea, there was hope for Job like a cut down tree... I hope that there's such hope for me... Blind as I've become, I used to wonder where you were. These days I can't find where You're not. Mine's been a yard carefully surface tended, foxes burrowed underground. Gardening so highly self-recommended, what could I have done but let You down? The sun and the moon, I want to see both worlds as one." -Aaron Weiss, mewithoutYou
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
ThisIsMe Offline
Common sense ain't common
Not a n00b

Points: 10,982, Level: 15 Points: 10,982, Level: 15 Points: 10,982, Level: 15

Re: do you feel marginalized by your religion? - September 7th 2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:

Well said.

In this world of hate there has to be a light Be that light and spread some love Maybe this day the youth can make a difference, No more hate.
-Christofer Drew

days since i last SHed.
Closed Thread