TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Foot-binding - September 27th 2010, 07:20 PM

This thread has been labeled as non-PG13 by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for younger users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

It's pretty graphic, and possibly unsuitablefor younger members::Edit: Crux This link has been removed due to being in inappropriate and too graphic. Please display the picture another way. Thank you.

The image is of a Chinese woman (I believe it was taken in the 1920s, but I might be wrong) with her feet un-bound. I have to admit, I never realised how horrible it was. I always thought they just tied them with bandages to keep them small and stop the feet from growing, but if you read the description under the picture, it explains it all. I admit the guy does seem very forceful, but it seems pretty abhorent to me. Anyone else got an opinion?

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

Last edited by SimplyComplex; September 28th 2010 at 06:52 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Foot-binding - September 27th 2010, 07:33 PM

That's horrendous. I know it's kind of what they do over there, and it's 'normal' to have smaller sized feet, but to go to this extent is just crazy. Her feet weren't small, they were dis-formed. How could that be something you want to do?

I didn't read too much into it because it was a bit difficult to read, not to mention really long! But I think it's just so.. crazy, to do such a bizarre thing.

Poor women

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Re: Foot-binding - September 27th 2010, 07:39 PM

it's mainly saying how they had to break each toe in order to fold them back, and then some different theories on why they did it - because the affected walk it gave you was considered 'sexy', to stop women being able to leave their home, that sort of thing. It's illgeal now, but apparently they've estimated that 4.5 billion girls had it done to them ='(

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#4 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Foot-binding - September 27th 2010, 07:48 PM

It's just horrible.

I had heard of something like this a few years ago, where chinese women would do this in order to keep their feet small. I didn't know too much about it then (I was young, hohum!), but it's just so sad to think about. And I might even go back to read it, I'm quite interested now!

It's just so sad that so many poor girls had this done to them, and when through such an ordeal for no 'real' reason.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Foot-binding - September 28th 2010, 03:13 AM

Unfortunately I learned about this in a previous psychology course and in the link and the course, the photos were equally revolting. This link though gives more citing and quotes that what we learned because the prof saw so many were so squimish, he gave as little additional information as possible. Happily the practice stopped but I'm sure in some areas it still continues. The thing I find a bit weird though is that after all the bone-breaking, blood, nails falling off, etc..., men who were attracted to the tiny foot wouldn't always want to see it because they were too freaked out and nauseated by it. If all this is done for their pleasure, when they don't all want to see the end-product, it seems to have made the entire thing a big waste of time for the woman. For those men, by saying the deformed feet are so attractive yet don't want to see them, I wonder if their attraction was to something else of the woman.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Re: Foot-binding - September 28th 2010, 04:14 PM

The guy who put the image up mentioned that they found the swaying walk it induced to be sexy O.o

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Re: Foot-binding - September 28th 2010, 07:58 PM

If you want some pictures, there's a couple here: http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/a...rent=feet1.jpg
http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/a...3Dfeet2.jpg%26
http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/a...3Dfeet3.jpg%26

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Foot-binding - September 28th 2010, 09:55 PM

Hm... I always thought women did it to themselves. How accurate was that article? Pretty disturbing. Why would you do that to a little kid?

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Foot-binding - September 29th 2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Hm... I always thought women did it to themselves. How accurate was that article? Pretty disturbing. Why would you do that to a little kid?
When footbinding was popular in China, mothers would bind the feet of their daughters, usually before they were three. Because it hurt them much less to bind them early, than to do it later in life. A woman with unbound feet was often not considered suitable for marriage. (I took a class on Modern China last spring, I can provide links and such if need be.)

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Re: Foot-binding - September 29th 2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey. View Post
When footbinding was popular in China, mothers would bind the feet of their daughters, usually before they were three. Because it hurt them much less to bind them early, than to do it later in life. A woman with unbound feet was often not considered suitable for marriage. (I took a class on Modern China last spring, I can provide links and such if need be.)
I'd read (on the on the site that i found the images one) that girls older sisters were encouraged to do it bind the little sisters feet) because it was believed that the mother might back out of it, out of sympathy with the daughter.

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Foot-binding - September 30th 2010, 11:19 PM

I learned about foot-binding in World History. We even saw pictures and I was like THAT is supposed to be sexy? That's disgusting!

(#12 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Foot-binding - September 30th 2010, 11:44 PM

i think it's horrible and the pain that those girls must have gone through is unimaginable. i guess we can't really understand though since their culture is SO different to ours. can't really blame individuals since if that's what was the norm it's understandable that, that is what happened.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Foot-binding - October 1st 2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictional View Post
I'd read (on the on the site that i found the images one) that girls older sisters were encouraged to do it bind the little sisters feet) because it was believed that the mother might back out of it, out of sympathy with the daughter.
Wouldn't the older sisters also have sympathy for their younger sister?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Foot-binding - October 3rd 2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! View Post
Depends on the sister. In one of the books I read, an autobiography but I can't remember the title off the top of my head, the sister helped the mother bind the little girl's feet, but only because the family was being dishonoured because the child had unbound feet (and played with the little boys.) If it was a sadistic sister, they probably wouldn't have sympathy, but most probably would.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Re: Foot-binding - October 3rd 2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! View Post
They probably did have sympathy, but as children, they'd be less likely to refuse. They'd probably also have less idea how... well, permenant... it is, as the woman's feet would be crippled for life, but the sisters being young wouldn't necessarily realise that.

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Allons-y! Offline
Don't blink.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: Foot-binding - October 3rd 2010, 09:41 PM

A perfect example of why ivory tower anthropology is never a good thing. I'm glad that this is no longer legally acceptable.

let me light up the sky, light it up for you
let me tell you why, i would die for you
When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.
9 out of every 10 problems in relationships can be solved by talking. So why are we so damn quiet?

Closed Thread