TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 12:41 AM

The story:
http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-news-ch...,2187386.story
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 01:06 AM

I could see how they suspended her because it does look like she is holding the beer, but on the other hand, why does the school care what she does outside of school?

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 01:12 AM

The girl is an idiot and her parents are idiots. If an underage person puts ANY pictures of them and alcohol online, whether they are the ones drinking or not deserve whatever repercussions they get because they are idiots. There's a whole fleet of these types of idiots at my old school, and it will come back to bite them.

I mean the mother's last quote shows how stupid she is. She says she knows that once pictures go out on Facebook that it's for the world to see, so why the hell did she allow her daughter to post a picture that made is LOOK like she was drinking whether she actually was or not?!

@Brittany: They care because they have a policy against it. A very clear policy. If there is evidence that they are ever in possession of alcohol or drugs they are suspended. Those are the rules.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 01:37 AM

Quote:
A copy of the photo was sent to the Principal of Cardinal High, along with an anonymous note.

If you are going to do such a dumb thing at least have the balls to revel your identity. The person who send the photo must really be immature, teenager trying to get some revenge typical teenage drama.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 01:48 AM

Being a cheerleader, I know why it's so important to not have that stuff on your FB or myspace.

Basically, you're representing your school all of the time. You are leaders of the school, and by leaders of the school,
people look up to you. Especially little girls. It's sending a bad message to those who look up to. I don't think she should have been suspended. I think she should of had to sit out at a game or get a demerit. I think it was too harsh of a punishment.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Connie Offline
Average Joe

Name: Connie

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 02:02 AM

I do agree that it was not smart to post the picture on fb. However, just by this one picture alone, it means nothing. All it shows is a girl holding a beer bottle. Is there evidence to show that there was beer in it?, is there any supporting evidence that she actually drank any alcohol?

Additionally why would the school care what she was doing at a personal event? She was not representing the school at that time nor was she wearing any official school clothes.

So, in my opinion, the school reacted unfairly and failed to investigate properly.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndsee View Post
Being a cheerleader, I know why it's so important to not have that stuff on your FB or myspace.

Basically, you're representing your school all of the time. You are leaders of the school, and by leaders of the school,
people look up to you. Especially little girls. It's sending a bad message to those who look up to. I don't think she should have been suspended. I think she should of had to sit out at a game or get a demerit. I think it was too harsh of a punishment.
She wasn't suspended from school, she was just suspended from two games.

@Connie Their rules state that all the student needs to do is be in possession of alcohol or drugs, which she was. And it wouldn't matter if she drank outside of school or not, what matters is that there was a picture of it for everyone to see. It shows poorly of the girl, and that would reflect on her school. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#8 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 02:07 AM

Like I said, she is representing the school. A lot of people look up to cheerleaders, and it just isn't very smart. Even if there was no beer in it, that's how it appears to everyone else. People aren't going to be like "was their really beer in there?". People jump to conclusions all the time.

They aren't punishing her for drinking. they are punishing for the message it's sending across. I think it's also a way to save their own butts. Because she is representing the school, the administration don't want them to seem bad. It's a reflection on the school, because everyone pays attentions to the cheerleaders.

EDIT:
@Taylor, sorry missed that part. Well in that case, I don't think they over-reacted at all.
Cheerleaders are given rules to abide by, and they know the consequences. She CHOSE to do that. Therefore, she CHOSE the consequence.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 02:57 AM

I don't think they went to far at all. I'm not sure if the parents actually have a case, because clearly posing with beer is against the terms of her being on the cheerleading squad, whether it was at school or not.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
@Brittany: They care because they have a policy against it. A very clear policy. If there is evidence that they are ever in possession of alcohol or drugs they are suspended. Those are the rules.
Yeah, I guess I didn't really think it though, after reading some of the posts here, I kinda agree with what others are saying..

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#11 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 03:59 AM

school has no bussiness in what a kid does outside of school... who cares if she was drinking or not as long as it wasnt on school ground or school events..

(#12 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 04:25 AM

It's on the Fb for the world to see. It's obviously going to affect those who see it and look up to her.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 04:43 AM

Quote:
It's on the Fb for the world to see. It's obviously going to affect those who see it and look up to her.
so ?
if people are gonna change there opinion of someone cause they have a beer in there hand in a photo then they must be pretty ignorant...

(#14 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ANTI-Troll View Post
so ?
if people are gonna change there opinion of someone cause they have a beer in there hand in a photo then they must be pretty ignorant...
I don't think it's ignorant at all. Certainly my opinion is going to, and has, changed about people stupid enough to put up pictures of themselves drinking when they are underage. It's not cause they are drinking, it's because of the idiocy of putting up the pictures.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 05:51 AM

Hmm...that's interesting how her Facebook picture was sent to the school with an anonymous note. Maybe someone was a bit jealous? Who knows. Anyways, I can't honestly say if she would have been caught by the school if the anonymous person didn't send in the picture. I personally think this was over-dramatized. Football players are looked up to as well, but I don't think that they'd be suspended from the team by having an innocent picture that has alcohol in it on their Facebook profile. But then again, who am I to judge? Personally, I think that the parents have an argument but people could argue otherwise.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
school has no bussiness in what a kid does outside of school... who cares if she was drinking or not as long as it wasnt on school ground or school events..
My school was very strict with their athletes and we all had to sign contracts saying we would not participate in any activities in or out of school that would represent the school in a bad light including participating in illegal activities. And if we violated that, there were consequences.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#17 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
I don't think it's ignorant at all. Certainly my opinion is going to, and has, changed about people stupid enough to put up pictures of themselves drinking when they are underage. It's not cause they are drinking, it's because of the idiocy of putting up the pictures.
i think we can agree the the pic was stupid.. but i think were gonna have to dissagree on wether the school should have done something...

maybe im just old fashioned but i really dont see how a school has any bussiness in what a kid does off school grounds and not during school hrs..its not like she was at a bar in her cheerleader outfit dirty dancing with some guy. she was at a wedding having a good time and someone got a photo of her with a beer she may or may not have been drinking..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post

My school was very strict with their athletes and we all had to sign contracts saying we would not participate in any activities in or out of school that would represent the school in a bad light including participating in illegal activities. And if we violated that, there were consequences.
i still dont see why a school has ANY bussiness in a kids life outside of school...this country has went to the dogs if schools are allowed to police what a child does outside of school. makes me wish i was back in the 60's or 70's.... the photo had her holding a beer not actually drinking it till they get one of her actually drinking it they have no case to punish her..

Last edited by The ANTI-Troll; October 22nd 2010 at 10:30 AM.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 04:23 PM

It doesn't matter if they have any business what the kids do outside of school. They still signed the contracts. Now, we aren't for sure if a contract was signed in this situation, but MOST sports teams make you sign one saying things like "I will respect others, keep up with my homework, not drink..blah blah blah" So, not maybe it's not their business. But that doesn't really change anything

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 05:14 PM

I think it's ridiculous :| even if she was drinking the beer or not she wasn't drinking it AT school :/

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Saphire Offline
♥♥♥
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Saphire

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 05:54 PM

Urgh I think that is way over the top.

Saphire

(#21 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter if they have any business what the kids do outside of school. They still signed the contracts. Now, we aren't for sure if a contract was signed in this situation, but MOST sports teams make you sign one saying things like "I will respect others, keep up with my homework, not drink..blah blah blah" So, not maybe it's not their business. But that doesn't really change anything
who says she was drinking it ?...... do you have any proof she was drinking it ? all i see is a pic of her HOLDING a beer which im sure most off us have done at one point in are life......that would be like throwing someone in prison for murder when all they did was a pointing a weapon at someone...

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 06:12 PM

No one's discussing the fact that it apparently wasn't even in HER hand? They said it was in the hand of the woman standing next to her.

I don't think she should have been suspended, but definitely should have been given detention or something, so she can learn to not put potentially incriminating pictures on facebook.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
i think we can agree the the pic was stupid.. but i think were gonna have to dissagree on wether the school should have done something...

maybe im just old fashioned but i really dont see how a school has any bussiness in what a kid does off school grounds and not during school hrs..its not like she was at a bar in her cheerleader outfit dirty dancing with some guy. she was at a wedding having a good time and someone got a photo of her with a beer she may or may not have been drinking..

i still dont see why a school has ANY bussiness in a kids life outside of school...this country has went to the dogs if schools are allowed to police what a child does outside of school. makes me wish i was back in the 60's or 70's.... the photo had her holding a beer not actually drinking it till they get one of her actually drinking it they have no case to punish her..
This is straight from my old high school, in hopes you understand why the school cares what you do after school hours.

Conduct, Whether Inside or Outside the School
A student is a [school name] student at all times, seven days a week. A student who engages in conduct, whether inside or outside the school, that is detrimental to the reputation of the school, may be disciplined by school officials.

If you are damaging the reputation of your school with your outside activities than the school can do something about it, it basically comes down to being proud of your school and showing respect.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 08:39 PM

I think that some of you guys aren't understanding exactly what happened. She was NOT suspended from school, she was suspended from cheer leading. Which is perfectly reasonable, if the girl is going to post pictures that make it look like she's drinking a beer up for everyone to see then if I was the school I wouldn't want her to be representing me either.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
who says she was drinking it ?...... do you have any proof she was drinking it ? all i see is a pic of her HOLDING a beer which im sure most off us have done at one point in are life......that would be like throwing someone in prison for murder when all they did was a pointing a weapon at someone...
I didn't say she was drinking it. I said that's how everyone else is going to see it.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 09:34 PM

I just learned about this is Journalism class. Legally the school does have the right to suspend someone for their behavior outside of school, which was ruled by the supreme court in some case name that I can't remember. Personally I'm not sure whether I agree with that or not, because I don't think that you should be held accountable in school for the things you do outside of school. But legally it's perfectly fine.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#27 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 22nd 2010, 10:53 PM

She wasn't suspended from school.
She was suspended from two athletic events at her school

(#28 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 23rd 2010, 04:51 AM

The main issue that is being raised in the story is that the girl was confronted, coerced into a confession, and punished without her parents knowledge without any opportunity for a proper explanation to be given about the photo. Most districts have policies requiring that parents be notified about any discovery like this before any punishment can be rendered. Thus the family has an attorney and may be preparing to sue over this.
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Chaos Theory Offline
Knowledge will truimph.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 23rd 2010, 07:24 AM

If the similar situations occurs in my school, that said person will be punished with suspension, ACTUAL suspension and police are involved. That's like putting pictures of you committing a crime- you are going to get into trouble for your action and your stupidity.

To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To give of one's self; To leave the world a bit better...; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - This is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.formspring.me/ToucheTurtle <-- Ask me a question

(#30 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 23rd 2010, 07:37 AM

Yep exactly.
So i think we can agree that these things are a big deal in a lot of schools.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Chaos Theory Offline
Knowledge will truimph.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 23rd 2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
It doesn't even matter she was drinking it or not that night- she has possession of the alcohol beverage as an underage. MIP is a criminal offense, different states have their own punishments, however. The picture she posted online foolishly is an iron proof. Polices are within their rights to arrest her if they so choose to, and in my school at least, she will be suspended and possible further disciplinary action.

To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To give of one's self; To leave the world a bit better...; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - This is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.formspring.me/ToucheTurtle <-- Ask me a question

(#32 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 23rd 2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Theory View Post

It doesn't even matter she was drinking it or not that night- she has possession of the alcohol beverage as an underage. MIP is a criminal offense, different states have their own punishments, however. The picture she posted online foolishly is an iron proof. Polices are within their rights to arrest her if they so choose to, and in my school at least, she will be suspended and possible further disciplinary action.
first off i dont know any cop and i know quite a few of them that would arrest someone for holding a beer when there around a bunch of adults and theres a good chance they might have been fetching drinks.... second maybe you should research the laws for the state shes in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tates_by_state

Alcohol can be sold/given to people under the age of eighteen if given by a physician in the regular line of his practice or given for established religious purposes, or the underage person is accompanied by a parent, spouse who is not an underage person, or legal guardian.[37]

Last edited by The ANTI-Troll; October 23rd 2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: was in bad mood..

(#33 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 23rd 2010, 01:03 PM

wow, i can't believe someone was pathetic enough to send it to the principal and snitch on her. and no, i don't think she should be suspended. she's not drinking it.. and her story sounds plausible.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#34 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 23rd 2010, 06:29 PM

This is seriously ridiculous.
There are pictures in our YEARBOOK of students who are drunk, some of them (though they were supposed to have been edited) have students holding the drinks, others there are drinks in the background.
For crying out loud there's one of our Captain (head of our yeargroup) sitting on a toilet with his trousers round his ankles! The school didn't care. We used to tease our English teacher because people saw her at clubs at the weekend. Students and teachers exchanged stories about their nights out drinking and clubbing. The legal age here is 18 and not even half of us were 18 before the year finished.
People should realise that she's a teenager. When the school board or whatever were that age, they were probably doing the same, if not something just as 'bad'
She was outside school, at a family event. It has nothing to do with the school. They had no right to interrogate and punish her without her parents being there either.
The parents have every right to go against what the school have done, I think it's unjustified.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 24th 2010, 02:01 AM

I do not think this was blown out of proportion at all. This is precisely why teenagers are admonished to never post pictures like that online. Ultimately, what you do in your personal time can infiltrate and affect other aspects of your life. Maybe the picture was misleading, but I feel like she should have been a better judge and should have recognized that people might be misled by it. Regardless of where she is, she is always representing the school, particularly where she is a cheerleader. I do not believe that under-aged drinking should be condoned.

(#36 (permalink)) Old
Lotus Eater Offline
You are not alone.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 24th 2010, 02:15 AM

I think she was just unlucky as I know of people from school (prefects and stuff) who actually drank when they were underage and took pictures and stuff. She should've been more careful about where she uploaded the pictures though, considering Facebook is open to the world.

We're warned at school too that the teachers occasionally trawl through our accounts/look through our posts and that there are people on the look out for posts that "bring shame to the school", as long as we attend said school that is. It's all a matter of being careful with what you post, and making sure not to do or say anything that makes your school look bad. Invasion of privacy? Definitely. But it's fair enough that you should abide by school rules/policy while you attend said school.

But they're being a little too harsh on her...considering she wasn't even drinking to begin with, and that it was at an out-of-school occasion. She's not wearing school uniform either...

Hard to say, really.

You have me.
Until every last star in the galaxy dies.
You have me.

- Amie Kaufman

NEED TO VENT? CLICK HERE.
Never forget, you are not alone. ♥

(#37 (permalink)) Old
mIssIng:nO Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 26th 2010, 01:59 AM

I got called into the office in grade 11 because i had a picture of me smoking a blunt as my profile picture on facebook

when they called me into the VP's office, i gave him a "are you fucking serious?" look and walked out.

This entire situation is completely fucking retarded, who gives a shit really, in fact i know people in my school who deliberatly put up innapropriate pictures because we had a feeling our school was creeping our pages, so we got back at em, fuck them if they think they can control what we do outside of school.

(#38 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 26th 2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post
I think she was just unlucky as I know of people from school (prefects and stuff) who actually drank when they were underage and took pictures and stuff. She should've been more careful about where she uploaded the pictures though, considering Facebook is open to the world.

We're warned at school too that the teachers occasionally trawl through our accounts/look through our posts and that there are people on the look out for posts that "bring shame to the school", as long as we attend said school that is. It's all a matter of being careful with what you post, and making sure not to do or say anything that makes your school look bad. Invasion of privacy? Definitely. But it's fair enough that you should abide by school rules/policy while you attend said school.

But they're being a little too harsh on her...considering she wasn't even drinking to begin with, and that it was at an out-of-school occasion. She's not wearing school uniform either...

Hard to say, really.
Haha if we got in trouble for inappropriate posts at my school I'd be thrown out, I mean technically what I have said isn't against policy, unless they have a rule against Fascism

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#39 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 26th 2010, 10:56 AM

Seems to me like they're over-reacting. The job of a teacher isn't to punish the kids for enjoying themselves during their free time, it's to teach them to be responsible about it. There are teachers at my school who've calmly discussed my classmates drinking problems with them - even when the girls were 14 and 15 years old. Maybe it's just that we here in the UK have a way more lax attitude to teenagers being teenagers and coming into contact with alcohol, but I don't feel that the school should've done anything other than say 'oh well. She's a teenager.'

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#40 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: High School Cheerleader Suspended Over Facebook Photo - October 26th 2010, 12:03 PM

I can't believe how many people are missing the point of this punsihment. She is NOT being punished for drinking, they have no really proof that she actually drank anything. She's being punished for putting a picture for the world to see that looks like she is drinking, which wouldn't matter except that she is a cheerleader and therefore a representative of the school. And once again she wasn't suspended from school she was suspended from cheerleading, two little games. I personally believe that stupidity should be punished and am glad to see that her's is being punished, and fairly.

Closed Thread