TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

child support - November 9th 2010, 11:14 PM

i know there have probally been past threads on this but i dont think theres been one recently since i been here..

im interested in what people think about it personally i think insome cases its wrong and how much they get per child is way off base.. i only know from a few cases personally where the wives were getting 125-350 per kid per week. which is about 1/2 to 3/4 of most people paychecks.. i think there should be alot more rules for recieving and paying it.. they should also monitor what the reciepants are spending the money on..

i know of one case (brotherinlaws exwife) who spends all the childsupport on herself and gets wellfare and goes to the salvation army to get clothes for the kids when she recieves about 1k a month for child support. she also strips under the table and claims she doesnt work so they dont lower the child support. i personally think the system is way favored for woman. they dont check to make sure the money is spent on the kids but they make sure the man pays it...

one of the rules i think they should add for being eligable is if the woman leaves and runs off with kids she SHOULDNT be allowed to request child support ..

so what do you think on the subject ?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: child support - November 9th 2010, 11:36 PM

This is definite tricky subject.

I completely think that there needs to be more rules on child support.

My dad passed away when I was eleven. A result of that happening was I got 1000$ a month to help pay for anything I needed. INCLUDING college. The social security I got stopped one I hit 18, as will child support. My mother used this money on her own personal gain. She didn't work, because she relied on my SS check to support her needs and wants. I ended up with no money for college, and didn't get a lot of my needs met.

It's almost the same thing as people having kids just to get more money from the government. Obviously, the more kids you have, the more money the government will give. Of course there are actually people who genuinely need to money, and don't have more kids just for the free money.

Back to the point, I think that they need to be able and track where that money goes. There needs to some sort of outline. My uncle, who is handicapped, is able to take money from the this program for things he NEEDS. They manage the money for him. The way they track his money by receipts and what not. I know that that isn't efficient for child support, but something needs to be done. People are ripping off the government claiming they need all this money. People who actually need the money, aren't getting it, because of the government being ripped off. I don't think it's fair.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
mommy to be <3
Junior TeenHelper

Re: child support - November 10th 2010, 01:00 AM

Child support should definitely be reasonable in regards to the paying parent's income, but I don't think every parent recieving child support needs to be monitored. Perhaps if there are multiple complaints about a particular parent they could check it out, but otherwise it's just an unecessary waste of time and resources.

From your head down to your toes,
You're not much, goodness knows.
But you're so precious to me,
Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: child support - November 10th 2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitter View Post

Obviously, the more kids you have, the more money the government will give.
Actually, I don't know if it's just my state, but that doesn't work anymore. The money stacks up to 2 or 3 kids I think. After that, no more raises.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: child support - November 10th 2010, 02:02 AM

I think it's not only the rules that should be added but enforcing those rules. People who get away with stuff the OP said are going to still do so as long as they get roughly the same amount of money through stricter rules. They'll only stop doing that if the rules and consequences get enforced on them. That's the problem though, how to monitor all those on child support. I think they should be monitored if there's complaints about the parents and if possible (doubt it though but let's pretend anyway) monitor them for a short while once they begin receiving their very first payment up to a few later payments and if all goes well, then stop monitoring. I don't know if it would work or if it would just have the parents acting perfect then going about and violating the rules but as long as they're given a range as to how long they'll be monitored, they cannot wait until one specific date. This is assuming there are the resources for this without killing the system. Alternatively, have it so people are monitored for random times and they're not told when they're being monitored. If they don't break any rules, then the monitoring stops and all is well but if they do break rules, then the consequences get enforced. Sort of like having the idea behind randomized drug screenings but they're only told of the screening time without enough time to hide it up.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Re: child support - November 10th 2010, 02:19 AM

I feel very strongly about this subject because my dad was a victim, yes victim, of having to pay child support. When my mom and dad got a new house, my mom almost immediately divorced my dad. She took everything he had. My mom is a math teacher; doesn't make a considerable amount of money, but my dad works part-time as a salesman for woman's shoes. He makes jack shit (considering he doesn't have higher than a high school education). Because he makes jack shit, he can't afford to live on his own, let alone afford his own healthcare. He has no retirement money, he's 45 years old, suffers with diabetes, and spent most of his money on child support. Before I got kicked out of my mom's house, at 13 years old, he was paying child support for five years. After that, he only paid child support for my sister until she was 18 (and even THEN my mom took him to court to try and get more money). Financially, my mom swallowed him up and spit him out dry. Yes, my dad chooses to be in the situation that he is in, but so does my mom. Y' see, my mom has bought my sister and I everything. She took us to the doctor all the time. She paid for a two story house when she was in financial debt. The only reason why she isn't living with her family now is because she had a high enough income to make payments and such. But because she was struggling to make it through, she relied on my dad for financial support (she was, after all, raising two kids on her own). Essentially, my mom used child support to benefit her, and destroy my dad. She abused the system, and it's clearly not fair. At some point, there is an "agreement" on how much money is spent on child support, but when you're dealing with the law...you don't have much of a choice. It's clear that she abused the system and as an advocate of gender equality, I tend to support fairness. No one deserves to take advantage of the justice system like that -- doesn't matter who you are or what you stand for. I definitely think that child support should be much more strictly dealt with. I don't want to have to worry about marrying a woman who only wants to have kids and not only give me limited access to my own children, but make me pay for them too. Just doesn't seem right at all.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: child support - November 10th 2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
I feel very strongly about this subject because my dad was a victim, yes victim, of having to pay child support. When my mom and dad got a new house, my mom almost immediately divorced my dad. She took everything he had. My mom is a math teacher; doesn't make a considerable amount of money, but my dad works part-time as a salesman for woman's shoes. He makes jack sh** (considering he doesn't have higher than a high school education). Because he makes jack sh**, he can't afford to live on his own, let alone afford his own healthcare. No one deserves to take advantage of the justice system like that -- doesn't matter who you are or what you stand for. I definitely think that child support should be much more strictly dealt with. I don't want to have to worry about marrying a woman who only wants to have kids and not only give me limited access to my own children, but make me pay for them too. Just doesn't seem right at all.
Your father is a tragic case that is unfortunately more common than uncommon. 85% of fathers arrested for being behind on child support do not pay because they CANNOT, not because they WILL NOT.

http://deltabravo.net/custody/stats.php - Really says it all really.

It's blindingly obvious that it's balanced unfairly in favor of the mother, on the reasoning that they're by default better parenting figures. I think Child Support is needed, but at the same time it needs to go through a radical re-haul to stop it being discriminatory towards men and fathers in general, and needs to reflect their financial situation. If a parent cannot afford to pay for the children that isn't in their care, then they should not be sent to prison for it. If they choose not to pay, that's different, but if they can prove that they cannot afford it, then they don't deserve punishment.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: child support - November 11th 2010, 06:17 AM

Maybe people should be given food hampers and the actual necessity GOODS, which they can only use for the intended purpose, rather than money which could be used for anything.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Elizabeth Offline
Just keep swimming!
I've been here a while

Name: Elizabeth

Re: child support - November 11th 2010, 12:48 PM

My dad moved out of state. He lives in a new seven bedroom house with his new wife and new kid. I'm living pay check to pay check, with one parent who just lost her job tonight. My father doesn't pay child support because he claims she using the money unwisely because our house got foreclosed on. The only reason we lost our home was because he stopped paying.
It really grinds my gears to hear people lumping all people getting child support into one category. People don't get arrested for back child support. He has 20,000 dollars in back child support and the judge believed my father when he said it was just "too much of an inconvenience right now with his new child.".
Raising a child is just more than just food. Its the house and all the random school supplies. It is the used clothes and the computer to help them keep up in school. Its putting a fund for a car so they don't have to walk everywhere in the dark. It's having a little extra money so we can go to an aquarium.
I really am upset with everyone who just assumes that my mom just blows off the money. You can say "Don't take it personally" but I do because now people read this and can apply it to all divorced parents paying child support.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: child support - November 11th 2010, 01:12 PM

I complete agree. I think what a few women do with their child support is sick. I know one girl who spends practically all the money on alcohol when she goes out with friends :/ I also know a lot of women who dandle the baby in front of a man like a carrot on a stick It really does need to be monitored.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Re: child support - November 11th 2010, 02:14 PM

I'm all for child support, but that's probably because I have a child and I know how difficult it could be to try to take care of one, or even more, without the right finances. As far as I'm concerned, if the biological father of the child consented to sex and helped create this baby, he's just as financially responsible for the child as I am.

I don't think that child support should just have to be spent on things for the child and that is absolutely it, like diapers, wipes, formula, clothes, etc... I think that the woman is well within her rights to use it for bills, since the child is also benefiting from most of the services that those bills are coming from.

As far as the mother going out and buying things for herself, I don't really have a problem with that either as long as the children have everything that they need first, bills are paid, and it happens to be something that she needs for work/class/etc. That's completely fine with me.

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

Closed Thread