TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Peer Pressure and Bullying (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f20-peer-pressure-bullying/)
-   -   "My Teacher Bullied Me" (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f20-peer-pressure-bullying/t59604-my-teacher-bullied-me/)

FlyingTrue November 12th 2010 07:30 PM

"My Teacher Bullied Me"

Why hasn't this teacher been fired yet?
http://www.kpho.com/news/25764910/detail.html

Kumagoro November 12th 2010 07:45 PM

Re: "My Teacher Bullied Me"

I can't believe some people have the nerve to say such horrible things and then call it "a joke". The teacher spoke as though that gave him legitimacy to wreck her life. Whatever he wants to call it, it's hurtful and it's not acceptable.

Pelios November 12th 2010 07:47 PM

That's sad, I had a similar situation in my high school with a world history teacher but he made fun of everyone in the class not just a certain person but it was all a joke no one ever felt hurt by it. I feel sorry for her she was smart in taking a recorder to prove her case.

OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! November 13th 2010 08:26 AM

She said she wasn't sure who the bully was and was surprised it was the teacher. Assuming other verbal things were said (probably were since she brought a tape recorder), couldn't one identify the teacher's voice while in that teacher's class? That part is a bit odd.

As for what the teacher said, it probably started off as a laughing matter but the content isn't appropriate for a teacher to be saying. It's something you'd say to a friend if you and the friend joust back and forth like that, knowing it's a joke and taking it in good humour. But it's not appropriate and even if others knew it was a joke, this student didn't feel it was.

thebigmole November 13th 2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! (Post 519196)
She said she wasn't sure who the bully was and was surprised it was the teacher. Assuming other verbal things were said (probably were since she brought a tape recorder), couldn't one identify the teacher's voice while in that teacher's class? That part is a bit odd.

As for what the teacher said, it probably started off as a laughing matter but the content isn't appropriate for a teacher to be saying. It's something you'd say to a friend if you and the friend joust back and forth like that, knowing it's a joke and taking it in good humour. But it's not appropriate and even if others knew it was a joke, this student didn't feel it was.

I think you misunderstood what the beginning of the article was saying. It was saying that she is constantly picked on by the students so she brought a tape recorder to catch the student bullies on tape and was surprised when her teacher became on of the bullies that day.

What I don't understand is if she has it on tape what the school is waiting for. They've got what the teacher said on tape, he can't deny he said it, what's there to investigate?

OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! November 13th 2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebigmole (Post 519333)
I think you misunderstood what the beginning of the article was saying. It was saying that she is constantly picked on by the students so she brought a tape recorder to catch the student bullies on tape and was surprised when her teacher became on of the bullies that day.

What I don't understand is if she has it on tape what the school is waiting for. They've got what the teacher said on tape, he can't deny he said it, what's there to investigate?

Oh OK, I thought the article was saying the teacher was doing the bullying to her before but she was surprised it was that teacher. Makes more sense now.

I agree, there's not a lot to investigate but perhaps the school wants to ensure other students haven't been bullied by the same teacher, if the teacher was joking in the past or some mindless thing.

Guile November 13th 2010 11:24 PM

To be the technical Nazi here it is illegal to record someone without their consent unless they are on public property. But I just love to play devil's advocate.

thebigmole November 13th 2010 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guile (Post 519484)
To be the technical Nazi here it is illegal to record someone without their consent unless they are on public property. But I just love to play devil's advocate.

Well it's a public school, therefore public property.

DeletedAccount31 November 14th 2010 12:13 AM

I'm probably going to be bashed for this, but I actually think this girl is overreacting. I have been picked on in the past, I have low self-esteem, but I can also take a joke. Teachers have joked with me like this before, and I know that they don't mean anything by it. The teacher was just trying to be funny. He wasn't trying to hurt her or "bully" her. If you watch the video and listen to the recording, this is evident. His voice just drips sarcasm.

I think removing her from the class was a bit extreme. From what I gathered, this is the teacher's first offense. I'm sure if she had simply spoken to him and let him know how this made her feel, he would have stopped. I don't see that she had any reason to report him to the school straightaway. This teacher had no malicious intent. I feel that kids in this day and age lead a much too sheltered life. People can hardly say or do anything without someone turning around and accusing them of something.

But that's just how I feel.

Guile November 14th 2010 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebigmole (Post 519491)
Well it's a public school, therefore public property.

Nope, a school is not included in this, anyway minors legally have to have their parents sign permission for their image/voice to be used for anything, so actually bringing that tape recorder into school is against the rules, along with using it in trial being well, pointless as the evidence is dismiss-able.

girl_pants November 14th 2010 09:54 AM

When you join most schools or anywhere involving children. the parents are asked to sign a form stating whether the child can be filmed, pictured etc. well thats how it happens in Britain anyway.

forfrosne November 14th 2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guile (Post 519674)
Nope, a school is not included in this, anyway minors legally have to have their parents sign permission for their image/voice to be used for anything, so actually bringing that tape recorder into school is against the rules, along with using it in trial being well, pointless as the evidence is dismiss-able.

Curses, foiled again! You're a good Devils Advocate. However, I think they'll probably overlook it in this case.

thebigmole November 14th 2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guile (Post 519674)

Well first of all this isn't going to trial. Secondly I've never heard a rule against brining a tape recorder to school. I recorded things in school all of the time, and at college pretty much everyone does it. People record voice lessons, they record dance classes (video), the record lecture classes. I've never seen anyone being told they couldn't use it. And there are some kids in college that are still 17 for a little while.

Guile November 15th 2010 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebigmole (Post 519852)
Well first of all this isn't going to trial. Secondly I've never heard a rule against brining a tape recorder to school. I recorded things in school all of the time, and at college pretty much everyone does it. People record voice lessons, they record dance classes (video), the record lecture classes. I've never seen anyone being told they couldn't use it. And there are some kids in college that are still 17 for a little while.

It's one of those commonly ignored rules, but any lawyer worth his salt would bring that up in trial.