TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#81 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Share the Road - December 4th 2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.14159265358979323846264 View Post

You think so? I've never really heard of cyclist being killed on the road (despite the fact cars still manage to kill people on the pavement). and you can still get serious accidents occurring between pedestrians and cyclist.
Well, I guess since you've never heard of it, that must mean it never ever happens. They must've just made this up.

Yes, you can get accidents between pedestrians and cyclists, but those generally happens at much lower speeds and between much smaller objects.

Quote:

Besides, roads are unsafe for everybody, and everybody knows this. If they don't like this then they shouldn't really be using the road, and should walk.
"cars still manage to kill people on the pavement"

Well shit, I can't bike or drive, and you made clear that walking isn't safe. What am I going to do?! Maybe, oh I don't know, try to work on making things safer for everyone? Or we could just resign ourselves to knowing they are unsafe and not worry about it. Hell, with overpopulation what do a few car accidents matter?

~Cody

Normal User

(#82 (permalink)) Old
Boobies Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Share the Road - December 4th 2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNumber42 View Post
Well, I guess since you've never heard of it, that must mean it never ever happens. They must've just made this up.

Yes, you can get accidents between pedestrians and cyclists, but those generally happens at much lower speeds and between much smaller objects.

"cars still manage to kill people on the pavement"

Well shit, I can't bike or drive, and you made clear that walking isn't safe. What am I going to do?! Maybe, oh I don't know, try to work on making things safer for everyone? Or we could just resign ourselves to knowing they are unsafe and not worry about it. Hell, with overpopulation what do a few car accidents matter?
I never said it didn't happen, just that I've never heard of it. Which would suggest it's not that common compared to other road related accidents.

And you're the one claiming that cycling on the path is safer, as an occasional cyclist I actually feel a lot safer biking on the road, I've nearly hit people plenty of times whilst biking on path, and felt like I'm going to be hit by cyclists plenty of times as well. I've never felt like a car has nearly hit me. Now, I know this is just my own experience but I'm guessing I'm not alone. And an extra note, drivers around here are such arseholes, and crap drivers for that matter.

Quote:
You're the one going on about how a pavement is so much safer to bike out, I was the one pointing out that it's still dangerous so what was the point?

(#83 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Share the Road - December 4th 2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:

I never said it didn't happen, just that I've never heard of it. Which would suggest it's not that common compared to other road related accidents.

And you're the one claiming that cycling on the path is safer, as an occasional cyclist I actually feel a lot safer biking on the road, I've nearly hit people plenty of times whilst biking on path, and felt like I'm going to be hit by cyclists plenty of times as well. I've never felt like a car has nearly hit me. Now, I know this is just my own experience but I'm guessing I'm not alone. And an extra note, drivers around here are such arseholes, and crap drivers for that matter.
As a frequent driver and pedestrian on a busy university campus overrun by both bikers and walkers, I feel much better with bikers on the sidewalks. I've never felt like I was going to get hit by one while walking. I HAVE felt like I was going to hit/be hit by one while I was driving though. They swerve and dart around cars, hold up traffic and generally aren't very safe on the road. Though maybe that's just my experience. Perhaps bikers there are better. I also know I'm not alone because other people from the university have told me they prefer bikers on the sidewalks.

Quote:
You're the one going on about how a pavement is so much safer to bike out, I was the one pointing out that it's still dangerous so what was the point?
I was pointing out that the danger is much less and that, while there is danger everywhere, the magnitude of said danger is also important to consider.

~Cody

Normal User

(#84 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: Share the Road - December 4th 2010, 08:40 PM

Can't you guys stop generalising cycalists? You make us out to all swerve around the road and generally be really crappy and unsafe. Just because you encounter more crappy cyclists in your area doesn't mean none of us are safe on a road. If you're gonna generalise cyclists in such a negative way, you should do the same for motorists.

It's unsafe to cycle on pavements, unless there's a cycle path painted onto it - and even then, pedestrians insist on walking on it, and giving you dirty looks when you try to over take them. As a frequent cyclist, it's way safer to be on the road than an over-crowded path.

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#85 (permalink)) Old
PGP Offline
Nothing
Junior TeenHelper

Name: PGP

Re: Share the Road - December 4th 2010, 09:21 PM

There aren't that many windy, dangerous roads in my area, but I've come close to hitting cyclists fairly often while driving.

It annoys the hell out of me when I get stuck behind a cyclist and I can't go around them. And nearly all of the cyclists in the area aren't very aware of anything else, so it makes everything that much more dangerous.

On the other hand, we've had a lot of accidents with bikes hitting pedestrians
nowhere is safe anymore (except, I suppose, for the inside of a 1.5 ton car)

Closed Thread