TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Frankie Boyle - December 12th 2010, 02:03 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Frankie Boyle can be quite offensive in his comedy and he is now in the news for making a joke about Katie Prince's disabled son Harvey.

Quote:
‘Apparently Jordan and Peter Andre are fighting over Harvey. Eventually one of them will lose and have to keep him.’
‘I have a theory that Katie Price married a cage fighter because she needed someone strong enough to stop Harvey from f****** her.’
This article talks about all of his offensive jokes, including some about Down Syndrome.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz17uPdjND7

What do people think of this?

I think some of the things he says are worse that what Jonathon Ross and Russell Brand said to Andrew Sachs and they were punished very severely and aren't allowed on the BBC anymore...

I do find some of Frankie Boyle's material funny and he is famous for his dark comedy but I don't find this funny in the slightest. I am not a fan of Katie Price either but I don't find this one funny or any of his jokes about disabilities funny.

Even after complaints came in the show was still repeated on Channel 4 +1 with the joke included and it is available to watch online.

Last edited by Melody Pond; December 12th 2010 at 02:32 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Frankie Boyle - December 12th 2010, 02:18 PM

Meh... I guess it's low but Sickipedia is full of far worse. I think he's hilarious and people need to learn to take a joke. They're jokes, they're NOT meant to be taken seriously.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Frankie Boyle - December 12th 2010, 02:19 PM

I find him absolutely hilarious.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Frankie Boyle - December 12th 2010, 03:06 PM

Being brutally honest, neither of those "jokes" are actually that funny. Frankie Boyle seems to be one of those people whose only form of comedy is insulting other people, and to my mind that is not the mark of a good comedian. I know for some it comes across as "edgy" or "modern", but to my mind it's just desperation and lack of imagination. I'd much rather watch Michael McIntyre, Dara O'Briain, Rhod Gilbert, Andi Osho or the old double-acts such as The Two Ronnies and Morecambe and Wise. Truth be told, there's a whole list of comedians I'd sooner watch than Frankie Boyle, and I will admit I found it quite amusing when an audience member challenged him about his routine at one show where he made a similarly ill-judged joke about Down's Syndrome.

I'm no fan of Katie Price by any means - far from it - but I think the Ofcom complaint is justified.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Re: Frankie Boyle - December 12th 2010, 04:03 PM

I don't really like him or find him funny, but I don't think he should be censored for making a joke.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Frankie Boyle - December 13th 2010, 04:07 PM

It is rude, wrong, and insulting to make a joke about something like Down Syndrome.
It's not funny at all.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Frankie Boyle - December 13th 2010, 04:26 PM

People with Down Syndrome are no exception to dark humor. You can't expect everyone to like dark humor, but that doesn't make the comedians immoral or "personally attacking" people with Down Syndrome. It's a joke -- it's not to be taken seriously. If you don't like it, then don't listen to him, don't watch him, or just don't support him. He could probably care less what you do. As long as he brings in an audience and as long as he makes people laugh, then he's being a professional comedian and there's nothing more to it. It's just business.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Frankie Boyle - December 13th 2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
People with Down Syndrome are no exception to dark humor. You can't expect everyone to like dark humor, but that doesn't make the comedians immoral or "personally attacking" people with Down Syndrome. It's a joke -- it's not to be taken seriously. If you don't like it, then don't listen to him, don't watch him, or just don't support him. He could probably care less what you do. As long as he brings in an audience and as long as he makes people laugh, then he's being a professional comedian and there's nothing more to it. It's just business.
This. No one is forcing you to listen to or watch him. The power of your remote control is limitless.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Frankie Boyle - December 13th 2010, 07:29 PM

I see nothing wrong with it. Anymore it seems like people expect that it is their right to never be offended. Well, it's not. I personally don't think it's hilarious or anything, but he has a right to make whatever jokes he wants, and people who don't like it have the right to not listen. Simple as that.

~Cody

Normal User

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Frankie Boyle - December 13th 2010, 07:51 PM

Everyone can be subject to jokes. Emos, white people, black people, indian people, smart people, dumb people, everyone is if we had to stop making jokes about people with down syndrome then we would have to stop make jokes about another group and so on. Yes it's kinda messed up to make jokes about that but they are joke meant to make people laugh. I don't know who Frankie Boyle is but there is a similar comedian here that makes fun of everyone and everything and some people give him a hard time but at the end of the day he is funny.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Frankie Boyle - December 13th 2010, 09:15 PM

I quite like him. But what he did say was a little rude. But, as always, if you don't like it, don't watch it.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Frankie Boyle - December 13th 2010, 09:25 PM

I'm sure the people with down syndrome have no problem with it ¬.¬

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Frankie Boyle - December 14th 2010, 08:06 AM

Hahaha! Man, that was funny, suck it up woman, you had a messed up child, nobody will want then around, your choice.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Frankie Boyle - December 14th 2010, 11:17 AM

I actually really like offensive jokes

Not a huge fan of Frankie Boyle though but he was always funny on Mock the Week.

I can see all of your points but I think what was most offensive about this joke is that it specifically targetted someone rather than just being a general joke about people with down syndrome.

Either way, it's a joke people don't have to listen to it and I'm sure most of these offensive jokes aren't meant maliciously.

Last edited by Gingerbread Latte; December 14th 2010 at 02:18 PM.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
cptdean Offline
Runs this Ship
Average Joe

Name: Dean

Re: Frankie Boyle - December 14th 2010, 11:51 AM

He was funniest on mock the week, but his new tamadol nights is just plain wierd.

I have also read his book 'my shit life so far' and that was interesting

You are never going to be able to stop jokes like these so people just have to ignore it if they dont like it

BaconStrips&
BaconStrips&
BaconStrips&
BaconStrips&
BaconStrips...

Closed Thread