TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

14-year-old Attacked On City Bus, 911 Dispatcher Refuses To Send Help - February 18th 2011, 10:58 PM

Should 911 dispatchers be charged in some way when this type of thing happens?
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/116456603.html
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: 14-year-old Attacked On City Bus, 911 Dispatcher Refuses To Send Help - February 19th 2011, 02:37 AM

That's really stupid.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: 14-year-old Attacked On City Bus, 911 Dispatcher Refuses To Send Help - February 19th 2011, 02:42 AM

The article intentionally didn't provide a written transcript of the entire 911 calls made by both people. According to the dispatchers and sheriff spokesperson, the calls were confusing but the article doesn't show any of that. There was intentional editing to make it seem like the calls were not confusing in the slightest and the reason for no police dispatch was due to the reasoning given by dispatchers. If there is a law saying that only the victim of the theft can report the stolen items and no police action will be done otherwise, then the dispatchers did what was legal. May not be right or protecting safety but if that is what the law specifically states, then it was legal. If there is no law stating that, then the dispatcher should have sent police, if not from the first call, then from the second call because it was obvious that something drastic occurred requiring police investigation.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: 14-year-old Attacked On City Bus, 911 Dispatcher Refuses To Send Help - February 19th 2011, 02:47 AM

Quote:
"When you somebody being robbed in front of you, you shouldn't be denying a 911 call because they're not the victim," she said. "I mean, what? The victim's supposed to have a cell phone and say, 'Oh, I'm being robbed right now."'
I totally agree with this. There is no excuse for denying a 911 call just because you are not the victim. We are all supposed to help each other, are we not? She was trying to do something rather than be a bystander.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
BabyGirl767 Offline
Meow! Woof Woof! Moooo! Baaaa!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Re: 14-year-old Attacked On City Bus, 911 Dispatcher Refuses To Send Help - February 20th 2011, 06:50 PM

This makes me ASHAMED to live in the state where this happened,
Honestly there is no excuse for the dispatcherís heartless actions, and I don't think its right to blame the callers when it was obvious that it was the dispatchers fault for not doing their job seriously what is wrong with that dispatcher? He should pay for what he did meaning something should happen like he should be suspened from his job or be charged with a crime.

I had to call the police department once when Obama was here and some guy flew into restricted airspace and when two F-15's took of they caused two sonic booms because they were breaking the sound barrier, I thought it was gunshots at first, and I could not get through to 911 because so many people called into 911 that the 911 system went down and was offline due to too many callers, so I called the police station and I told the lady that answered that I needed police right away because I heard gunshots and I am home alone, the lady who answered was extremely rude and said to me in a snooty rude voice "ma'am it wasnít gunshots it was an explosion we got a lotta people calling in and right now we are trying to figure out what happened". After that I said thanks and hung up, then my mom called me and told me what had happened and that the booms were two sonic booms from two F-15's breaking the sound barrier. This is the link to the story about what I am talking about
LINK TO STORY: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/0...le-region.html

Honestly there is no excuse for the dispatcherís heartless actions, and I don't think its right to blame the callers when it was obvious that it was the dispatchers fault for not doing their job

I was born with a genetic disorder called neurofibromatosis, it causes tumors to grow in my body on nerves,my spine,and under my skin. I have a tumor in the thalamus region of my brain. I also have heartburn,hypothyroidism and secondary adrenal insufficiency these are under control with medication.
I also have hip dysplasia and scoliosis.

Send a message via AIM to BabyGirl767  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: 14-year-old Attacked On City Bus, 911 Dispatcher Refuses To Send Help - February 20th 2011, 08:05 PM

I've never heard of a 911 dispatcher needing to know the victim's identity before - that is surely for the police to determine once they arrive on the scene? I've certainly never heard of any restriction on who can report a crime insofar as them needing to be the victim, particularly as in some cases the victim cannot (e.g. murder) and in others they may be in no position to (e.g. assault, GBH, rape). At the very least they should radio in the call to units in the vicinity so they can investigate, even if they don't specifically send a unit to the bus. This sounds like a screw-up by the call handler and I would imagine there will be some kind of internal disciplinary for something like this.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: 14-year-old Attacked On City Bus, 911 Dispatcher Refuses To Send Help - February 23rd 2011, 06:07 PM

Really really dumb in my opinion

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: 14-year-old Attacked On City Bus, 911 Dispatcher Refuses To Send Help - February 24th 2011, 08:58 PM

That shouldn't have happened. It shouldn't matter if you are the victim or not. I was always taught that if you see something bad happening, you should report it. Now what if the robbers did more damage to the victim? What if they had beaten him or something? Would that have changed things? Is the person supposed to pull out a phone in the middle of being robbed, or have one on them at all times just in case it happened? They should have sent help. The person who reported it was doing the right thing, and it was ignored. That's just wrong.

Closed Thread