TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Points: 19,635, Level: 20 Points: 19,635, Level: 20 Points: 19,635, Level: 20

'alleged' Libyan rape victim abducted from hotel - March 27th 2011, 06:09 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Basically, a woman burst into a Libyan hotel full of Western reporters and started to yell that she had been raped and beaten by government forces. She told her story as government officials and waiters in the hotel tried to take her away and stop her from talking. Reporters tried to protect her and pull them away from her.

Journalists tried to smuggle the footage out of the hotel but were forcibly stopped... one British journalist got punched in the face and a few had their cameras smashed. Fortunately some footage survived so her story isn't lost.

Eventually she was dragged outside, pushed into a car and taken away.

You can see all of this here (but I should warn that if you are easily affected by these types of things it best to not click the link):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcZaQF_p45I

I have to say this story really got to me. Not because I am shocked that rape and brutallity occurs in Libya. Not because I'm shocked that freedom of speech was swiftly shut down the way it was. Mostly I am shocked because it's one thing hearing about it, acknowledging it... It's another thing seeing it.

We've seen a lot of footage over the past few weeks come out of Libya and a lot of it has been awful. I guess this shocked me more than that because we've become accustomed to seeing shocking scenes on our televisions be it natural disaster or war. It just all seems so detached. You come to see it as the West vs X, protesters vs government... it's awful, but not very personal. This really reminded me of the individuals involved in this whole thing, and all I can say is that I hope she is alive.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 20,934, Level: 20 Points: 20,934, Level: 20 Points: 20,934, Level: 20

Re: 'alleged' Libyan rape victim abducted from hotel - March 27th 2011, 02:33 PM

I saw this on CNN yesterday. It is very horrible, at the same time this event pretty much clears up any doubt of the illegitimacy of the Gaddafi regime. I hope those responsible are charged as war criminals.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Points: 36,386, Level: 27 Points: 36,386, Level: 27 Points: 36,386, Level: 27

Re: 'alleged' Libyan rape victim abducted from hotel - March 28th 2011, 08:56 AM

That was really awful to watch. Awful that it happened too. :/

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
You’re the diamonds, you’re the pearls
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
It’s your future, it’s your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/
Closed Thread