TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.00 average.
  (#41 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Cameron
Location: a place surrounded by lakes: it's cold, and poor, and named Detroit

Points: 13,287, Level: 16 Points: 13,287, Level: 16 Points: 13,287, Level: 16

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 10th 2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlyheartbeat View Post
The difference is, its online, and it's controlled, whereas rape is not. In BDSM, you can stop when you need/want to, rape, obviously, you can't.
What exactly is that supposed to mean? BDSM games/movies tend to have someone in control, and abusing them, without consent... just like rape.

ENTER SHIKARI! BEST BAND EVER!!
(little thanks to Just.Tegan for showing me these guys)
  (#42 (permalink)) Old
A Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 10,052, Level: 14 Points: 10,052, Level: 14 Points: 10,052, Level: 14

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 10th 2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
The difference is, its online, and it's controlled, whereas rape is not. In BDSM, you can stop when you need/want to, rape, obviously, you can't.
Having a rape fetish is BDSM (bondage and discipline, dominance and submission, sadism and masochism). Many people enjoy staged rape, and that's what this video game is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesThisLookInfected? View Post
What exactly is that supposed to mean? BDSM games/movies tend to have someone in control, and abusing them, without consent... just like rape.
Not true. A lot of BDSM films have consent of the sub clearly displayed throughout the film.
  (#43 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Points: 32,279, Level: 25 Points: 32,279, Level: 25 Points: 32,279, Level: 25

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 10th 2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
But the thing is, anything could be triggering. People who have been in horrific car accidents could be triggered by seeing car accidents on the news or in the movies. I think it's more a matter of not seeking out what you know is going to make you angry.
That's a terrible comparison to make. Car accidents are far less horrific than rape.
I've experienced both, cars, car accidents do not scare me.
Perhaps someone types in rape to google, to get help, and that game comes up? Hardly seeking something to make them angry, and they get a terrible reminder, that people want to do this, people find what happened to them just a game. That people would want to rape them again.

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3
  (#44 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Points: 14,981, Level: 17 Points: 14,981, Level: 17 Points: 14,981, Level: 17

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 10th 2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Video games are controlled much better than online games, as they're rated and not open to anyone who wants to go online. And as someone who's heavily into the BDSM lifestyle, I can tell you that rape fantasies are often a part of it. And that's all this video game is; an elaborate rape fantasy.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius
  (#45 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 10th 2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesThisLookInfected? View Post
People choose to do that, they have a safe word.
It is not the same.
Don't even compare if you haven't experienced.

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3
  (#46 (permalink)) Old
A Offline
Not a n00b

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 10th 2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
That's a terrible comparison to make. Car accidents are far less horrific than rape.
I've experienced both, cars, car accidents do not scare me.
Perhaps someone types in rape to google, to get help, and that game comes up? Hardly seeking something to make them angry, and they get a terrible reminder, that people want to do this, people find what happened to them just a game. That people would want to rape them again.
I think that'd be their fault for typing "rape" into Google when they probably know how much it would upset them.
  (#47 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Points: 17,299, Level: 19 Points: 17,299, Level: 19 Points: 17,299, Level: 19

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 10th 2009, 09:41 PM

Are there really any arguments against this game over than "I don't like the subject matter of the game"?
  (#48 (permalink)) Old
A Offline
Not a n00b

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 10th 2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
It is not the same.
But it's not real rape, it's staged. And staged rape hasn't been proven to turn people into rapists. You're making very outlandish statements.
  (#49 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 10th 2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
It is not the same.
Not all master/slave relationships use a safe word. I've never had a safeword with my master - once I'm with him, all is fair game. That's the agreement we have for me serving him. But that's a bit offtopic.

And I'd just like to add that I'm also speaking as a rape victim, who also coincidentally happens to have rape fantasies. I can confidently say, I would play this game. I don't see the difference between this video game and the various other rape fantasy material I seek out online.

I'd also like to point out that the argument "what if a rape victim typed 'rape' into google and came up with this game" doesn't work. When you type rape into google (as I just tried) you get dozens of links to information and counselling for rape victims, things like that. To actually get the kind of material we're talking about, you specifically have to type in "rape fantasy". And I fail to see why a traumatized, easy-to-trigger rape victim would do that.

"Live a good life.
Marcus Aurelius

Last edited by Grizabella; March 10th 2009 at 09:53 PM.
  (#50 (permalink)) Old
lauren_160 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauren

Points: 12,783, Level: 16 Points: 12,783, Level: 16 Points: 12,783, Level: 16

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 10th 2009, 09:54 PM

I think this is vile too, I'm a rape victim too, and i understand what people are saying that its just fantasy etc.
But what about all the people who play grand theft auto or other violent games and then go out and kill someone.
It's then going to become a problem of people just going out and raping someone because the think its okay.

Lauren

"The stars are always there but we miss them in the dirt and clouds. We miss them in the storms. Tell them to remember hope. We have hope."

"But in the ruins there is still a canvas. There is still beauty in your brokenness. The faded scars show healing reminding me that even though I’ve been in dark places, I’ve survived and learned and become stronger".

(#51 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 10th 2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren_160 View Post
I think this is vile too, I'm a rape victim too, and i understand what people are saying that its just fantasy etc.
But what about all the people who play grand theft auto or other violent games and then go out and kill someone.
It's then going to become a problem of people just going out and raping someone because the think its okay.
Do you have news articles showing the multitude of people who play grand theft auto and then actually go out and kill people? (Isolated incidences do not prove a correlation) I would wager the numbers are very low, and almost certainly the number of people who consider rape okay due only to a video game would also be low.

There were two young university students who read Nietzsche's On the Genealogy of Morality, and interpreted it in such a way that they murdered a woman, claiming Nietzsche had taught them murder was acceptable. Should we ban his philosophy because of that?

"Live a good life.
Marcus Aurelius
  (#52 (permalink)) Old
Tericon Offline
The Waistcoated Wonder
Average Joe

Name: Nat

Points: 11,050, Level: 15 Points: 11,050, Level: 15 Points: 11,050, Level: 15

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 10th 2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Do you have news articles showing the multitude of people who play grand theft auto and then actually go out and kill people? I would wager the numbers are very low, and almost certainly the number of people who consider rape okay due only to a video game would also be low.
Agreed.

99.9% (not offical statistic) of people who play games like GTA fully realise that it is not reality, they also understand that any such actions in reality would be breaking the law. I really don't believe video games or films can truly influence violence, sure they plant the idea, but you cannot blame the game/wahtever for the outcome. The individual sorts actions from thoughts and thus it is the fault of the individual or the parent if the individual is not fully mature.

'If you've got the inclination
I have got the crime' - Oppurtunites - PSB <3

'Reel me in and cut my throat' - World- The Killerz <3

When we fall in love, we're just fallin' in love with ourselves... - Spiralling- Keane <3
  (#53 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 10th 2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren_160 View Post
I can honestly say that I've played games like that before and they've never encouraged me to go out and kill someone but I can see how they might encourage some people, it's happened before where someone's gone out and attacked someone in the same way as they did on a game. BUT these people were teenagers, around 16/17 I think and if the game's going to be AO then hopefully the adults that decide to play it won't be encouraged to rape people.
  (#54 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Points: 43,405, Level: 29 Points: 43,405, Level: 29 Points: 43,405, Level: 29

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 10th 2009, 10:23 PM

How do video games incourage violence?

(#55 (permalink)) Old
saffi101 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: saffron or saffi

Points: 10,421, Level: 14 Points: 10,421, Level: 14 Points: 10,421, Level: 14

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 11th 2009, 12:08 AM

thats discusting, for all those who are saying for it asin for it to be sold, how would you like it if it had happened to you, it could be someone playing the game right now that attacks you in the future, or someone you care about

as a few peoples opinions aint gonna change the fact there is a game on here, but at least it should be made with some precautions to make sure under 18 or 21s whatever cannot use it, and when they do get onto it there should be some information like 'this should not be attempted in real life' it probably wont make a difference but you never know, it might.

although one pro for the game is that if people feel the need to go and rape someone then they can do it online instead of in real life.

Michaela Louise my beautiful baby girl RIP
I am the type of girl who can watch tonnes of horror movies and ot flinch
but scream at the top of my lungs when toast pops out the toaster
fall in love or fall in hate
get inspired or be depressed
ace a test or flunk in class
speak the truth or lie and cheat
dance on tables or sit in silence
make babies or make art
life is chaos
embrace it
forgive yourself
breathe
...enjoy the ride
  (#56 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: Jessi

Points: 18,014, Level: 19 Points: 18,014, Level: 19 Points: 18,014, Level: 19

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 11th 2009, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A View Post
What statistics have you got which prove that "video games make people violent"?
Quote:
  • More than 70 percent of American teenage boys have played the violent and adult-rated Grand Theft Auto video game, and those teens are more likely to have been in a fight than those who have not played, according to a new Gallup poll quoted in the Washington Post.
  • A recent Dateline expose shows just how easy it is for underage children to purchase adult-rated video games such as Grand Theft Auto, even at stores that allegedly have a system for checking age identification. Two years after a dramatic Federal Trade Commission report found that adult-rated entertainment products are pervasively and aggressively being marketed to children, 80 percent of the minors who attempted to buy Mature-rated products were still able to do so.
This is not "just a game". Simulators intend to create realistic situations to stimulate the brain of the person playing. I am unsure if I would go so far as to advocate a ban, although that's my first instinct...but there should definitely be MANY legal restrictions and requirements.

This is the sickest thing I have ever heard. I don't care who decides to deal out personal attacks, I may state my opinion on the matter; other members have the same right. Whoever thought of this game is most likely very disturbed and should be committed to a mental ward.

[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  (#57 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 11th 2009, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffi101 View Post
thats discusting, for all those who are saying for it asin for it to be sold, how would you like it if it had happened to you, it could be someone playing the game right now that attacks you in the future, or someone you care about

as a few peoples opinions aint gonna change the fact there is a game on here, but at least it should be made with some precautions to make sure under 18 or 21s whatever cannot use it, and when they do get onto it there should be some information like 'this should not be attempted in real life' it probably wont make a difference but you never know, it might.

although one pro for the game is that if people feel the need to go and rape someone then they can do it online instead of in real life.
Exactly, I'm for the game being sold, just not to minors. It should be rated AO, as I've said...

(#58 (permalink)) Old
Katieeee Offline
that's what she said.
Average Joe

Name: Katie

Points: 11,990, Level: 15 Points: 11,990, Level: 15 Points: 11,990, Level: 15

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 11th 2009, 03:32 AM

Though I understand the opposite point of view, I still believe this is wrong. I think it's an excellent example of how the world is heading into moral and ethical ambiguity. We no longer know where to draw the lines. Rape is a scary situation, and it should not be taken lightly and put into something as mundane and commonplace as a video game. That's just qualifying that it's an accepted action. Creating a rape simulator just blurs the lines and makes it seem like less of a horrible situation. Like violent movies, one can easily become desensitized and become unable to see the distinction of why it is in fact so wrong. And although it may not be encouraging one to go out and rape someone, it is still placing innapropriate thoughts in a person head. The concept of it is wrong. It reminds me of that ethical cleasing video game a while back, where the white people would go out and shoot all the the other ethnic minorities, (i.e. mexican, black). And like in that situation, it just makes ideas like that more embraced by society.

Last edited by Katieeee; March 11th 2009 at 04:55 AM.
  (#59 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Points: 52,404, Level: 32 Points: 52,404, Level: 32 Points: 52,404, Level: 32

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 11th 2009, 03:42 AM

Who the hell would invent a game like this.... I find this... completely inappropriate in every way, shape and form. Rape isn't a game. It's not fun and shouldn't be portrayed in that way. It's not something to mess around with or mock.

I am taken aback by this..... how rude and offensive.

(#60 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Points: 24,469, Level: 22 Points: 24,469, Level: 22 Points: 24,469, Level: 22

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 11th 2009, 04:11 AM

I haven't read everyone's response, but I know realize where my philosophy got this scenario from

At first, I thought it was horrific, as most you the posts I read had said.
But then, if it stopped rapists? If it satisfied their needs enough? And you could prove it would help? Then I'm all for it.

Though I can (And I'm sure many of you) can argue both sides of it well. I do understand it could up the rape rate. If it does, then stop letting it be legal. Rapes go on. Many of us have experienced something like this, a game is not going to make or break if that happens. (I don't mean to sound rude, and no disrespect to anyone, that is just my view)

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#61 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Points: 20,103, Level: 20 Points: 20,103, Level: 20 Points: 20,103, Level: 20

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 11th 2009, 04:44 AM

where is censorship when you need it?

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.
  (#62 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 11th 2009, 07:36 AM

I find this to be awesome. People have their own fantasies, and I think this game would be amazing to play.

I haven't read all the previous comments but from what I read of most of them, some advice for you: don't like it, don't play it. Yes it may be controversial or if it triggers you or whatever your excuses are, just don't associate with it. It's unfair for your whining to ruin the fun for others.

There doesn't seem to be much of an arguement here anymore (if there ever was) as it seems to be revolving around "I don't like it". Too bad, you don't have to like it. Don't like it, don't play it.

And for those of you who used the card "im a rape victim blah blah", sorry, you're getting no sympathy if you wanted any. Nice try though to play the game of inducing guilt or sadness into others to win your point.
  (#63 (permalink)) Old
delilah Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 11,298, Level: 15 Points: 11,298, Level: 15 Points: 11,298, Level: 15

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 11th 2009, 07:39 AM

eh i commented in the other thread for this but i'll say it again

i'm a girl.
i've had two best friends who have been raped and i've been sexually assulted.
i have sexual fantasties about being raped or having sex against my will etc which i play out with my partner
although i obviously would not, under any circumstances actually enjoy being raped if it were to happen.

this video game is therefore in my eyes perfectly acceptable. if you are a rape victim then i obviously feel that it could be triggering or offensive, that being said, no need to watch/play it. And further more someone else said this was shocking? it's hardly suprising to me at all, heaps of fake rape porn, heaps of people into bdsm, so heaps of people who liket o live out their fantasties without actually harming themselves or other people.

i think the game is a little odd haha but each to their own.
  (#64 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Points: 43,405, Level: 29 Points: 43,405, Level: 29 Points: 43,405, Level: 29

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 11th 2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul View Post
where is censorship when you need it?

Doesn't solve the problem makes it worse.

(#65 (permalink)) Old
8evey8 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Evey

Points: 9,903, Level: 14 Points: 9,903, Level: 14 Points: 9,903, Level: 14

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 11th 2009, 05:50 PM

Yea i heard about this from my bf and he seemed pretty enthused about the whole thing, he see's it as just some other game. I personally was horrified, and I think it is a sick game. I think it's because I'm a woman and the whole rape thing is just scary for us all.

I have played violent games but killing zombies and raping women are just two totally different extremes I think.

(#66 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 11th 2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
Doesn't solve the problem makes it worse.
how so... in this case for me at least... it gets rid of the problem (not that i endorse censorship)

(#67 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 11th 2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
how so... in this case for me at least... it gets rid of the problem (not that i endorse censorship)
For you it may help but you are not the general population of people who like the game, so for them, if it helps them or if it's just a fun and cool game, you've taken that away. That makes them pissed off, which then tends to lead to bad results and if gone far enough, riots and protests. Or, those who want to rape go out and do it because they no longer have a simulated version.

Hence, why I say don't like it, don't play it but let others play it.
  (#68 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Points: 17,299, Level: 19 Points: 17,299, Level: 19 Points: 17,299, Level: 19

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 11th 2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
In what manner would it get rid of the problem? By banning this game all you would be managing would be to allow one less method of constructively removing dangerous sexual urges. By banning it all you could concievably do would be to make matters worse, as the more liberal the laws regarding pornography the less sex crimes are committed as people have access to materials they find sexually pleasing rather than resorting to going out and doing it themselves.

Violent movies make people less violent, violent video games don't make people more violent so I don't see how this game could make an adult more likely to rape anyone. I'm pretty sure most adults can tell reality from fantasy.
  (#69 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 11th 2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
I find this to be awesome. People have their own fantasies, and I think this game would be amazing to play.

I haven't read all the previous comments but from what I read of most of them, some advice for you: don't like it, don't play it. Yes it may be controversial or if it triggers you or whatever your excuses are, just don't associate with it. It's unfair for your whining to ruin the fun for others.

There doesn't seem to be much of an arguement here anymore (if there ever was) as it seems to be revolving around "I don't like it". Too bad, you don't have to like it. Don't like it, don't play it.

And for those of you who used the card "im a rape victim blah blah", sorry, you're getting no sympathy if you wanted any. Nice try though to play the game of inducing guilt or sadness into others to win your point.
I'm not looking for sympathy, but perhaps an understanding, to see rape casually thrown around in that manner disturbs me, that is the point I was trying to get across. Also, if you don't like my opinion, don't pay it attention. Same as your don't like it, don't play it. You might not like it, but its still there, and it won't ruin your fun if you ignore it :]

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3
  (#70 (permalink)) Old
asyoulikeit Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Marissa

Points: 11,765, Level: 15 Points: 11,765, Level: 15 Points: 11,765, Level: 15

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 11th 2009, 06:22 PM

I've read through this entire thread, and I'm a little disgusted at the personal attacks over a thread that is simply asking for people to state their opinions. Lou and the others weren't "playing a card", they were showing their experience which not everyone has; just like those who liked the game were throwing in their opinions. It adds variety to the debate, which is the point. Name-calling isn't the purpose here.

As for the game itself, I think that it's another step towards desensitizing the public to horrific acts but I doubt we could (or should) get it banned. Yes, I would rather it didn't exist since this is a sick idea (just like the vids endorsing murder are sick) but that won't change anything so I don't think we should try to eliminate it. Adult ratings will go a ways to restricting it, but as proved before that's not completely effective either. I just overall think that it's an insult to anyone who has lived this game, that others would even pretend to play something so traumatizing. No, I'm not a rape/sexual assault victim, but you have to admit the game belittles something that has caused alot of people pain. That's why I don't like the fact that it's coming out.

When you say "never", I'll say "lie"
When you say "always", I'll say "true"
When you say "love", I'll say "you"
I'll say "you"

It gets better.
  (#71 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Experienced TeenHelper

March 11th 2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
In what manner would it get rid of the problem? By banning this game all you would be managing would be to allow one less method of constructively removing dangerous sexual urges. By banning it all you could concievably do would be to make matters worse, as the more liberal the laws regarding pornography the less sex crimes are committed as people have access to materials they find sexually pleasing rather than resorting to going out and doing it themselves.

Violent movies make people less violent, violent video games don't make people more violent so I don't see how this game could make an adult more likely to rape anyone. I'm pretty sure most adults can tell reality from fantasy.
While for some this would be a good sexual outlet it could condition others to believe rape is okay (as I am sure in the game there are no consequences for their actions). Furthermore treating rape like a game is not okay in my opinion because it makes it seem like it is no big deal, it is fun/enjoyable, or even okay to do WHICH IT IS NOT!!! People clam that constant exposure to graphically violent movies, tv, media, and games make people more likely to commit violent acts themselves because of the conditioning that occurs (violence starts to seem okay) could this also occur in this case? As asyoulike it stated I just fear the desensitization to rape this could cause and what that would mean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
For you it may help but you are not the general population of people who like the game, so for them, if it helps them or if it's just a fun and cool game, you've taken that away. That makes them pissed off, which then tends to lead to bad results and if gone far enough, riots and protests. Or, those who want to rape go out and do it because they no longer have a simulated version.

Hence, why I say don't like it, don't play it but let others play it.
Your comments thoroughly disgust me. Rape is by no means cool or fun. They can protest all they want this is wrong. You don't stop yourself from changing something just because you think it could make people angry if it is the right thing to do. This is just horribly insensitive to rape victims and just plain sick. I understand that a simulated version of rape could possibly help some people but what if that isn't enough... what if that just triggers them and they want more...

I am done arguing.... i just think this is wrong and some people are treating this insensitively and borderline cruelly

Last edited by udontno; March 12th 2009 at 12:43 AM. Reason: merge--please don't triple post, edit your orginal post please. :-)
  (#72 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 12,319, Level: 16 Points: 12,319, Level: 16 Points: 12,319, Level: 16

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 11th 2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Which problem is that? Pixels raping pixels? Oh the attrocity! It must be stopped!

Furthermore, what censorship are you talking about?
The game is already not allowed outside Japan by the original company themselves + has a certain age limitation on it.

(#73 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 11th 2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I am done arguing.... i just think this is wrong and some people are treating this insensitively and borderline cruelly
I'm not seeing really insensitivity. It is a debate. People have different opinions, and you have to be ready for that. If you're offended, that's okay, but you don't need to keep revisiting the thread.

I think you should try to look at it, as not a thing trying to lessen the meaning of rape. Rape, is a bad thing, it shouldn't happen to anyone.
While it is being casually rolled around with this game, think of it this way. What if someone who got raped, may not have if the attacker had played this game and got the urges out of their system with a game?

That's the side I'm looking at.

-Robert Frost

(#74 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 11th 2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.K. View Post
Which problem is that? Pixels raping pixels? Oh the attrocity! It must be stopped!

Furthermore, what censorship are you talking about?
The game is already not allowed outside Japan by the original company themselves + has a certain age limitation on it.
Although the game isn't allowed outside Japan I'm sure someone will find a way of getting hold of it if they desperately wanted to.
  (#75 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 12,319, Level: 16 Points: 12,319, Level: 16 Points: 12,319, Level: 16

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 11th 2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Ghost View Post
Although the game isn't allowed outside Japan I'm sure someone will find a way of getting hold of it if they desperately wanted to.
Just like if the game or similar products are "censored" whatever the poster meant, people will be able to get a hold of it.

(#76 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 11th 2009, 08:11 PM

The only way I could possibly endorse censoring this game is if a reliable study was carried out which proved a direct correlation between people playing this game, and then actually going out and raping women. Until then, it's not an issue. Similar to how I wouldn't suggest censoring porn depicting rape unless it was proven that it caused real life rapes.

"Live a good life.
Marcus Aurelius
  (#77 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 11th 2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
The only way I could possibly endorse censoring this game is if a reliable study was carried out which proved a direct correlation between people playing this game, and then actually going out and raping women. Until then, it's not an issue. Similar to how I wouldn't suggest censoring porn depicting rape unless it was proven that it caused real life rapes.
I like this statement. And I agree to a certain extent. The only problem is that you'd have to allow the game to be legal first to get the study carried out And you couldn't tell the differences between if it's correlation, or causation.

-Robert Frost

(#78 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 11th 2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Your comments thoroughly disgust me. Rape is by no means cool or fun. They can protest all they want this is wrong. You don't stop yourself from changing something just because you think it could make people angry if it is the right thing to do. This is just horribly insensitive to rape victims and just plain sick. I understand that a simulated version of rape could possibly help some people but what if that isn't enough... what if that just triggers them and they want more...
The thread has a triggering warning, so you were warned when you read it. If it digusts you, that's not my problem.

Oh, yes, it's insensitive. If you want to argue this then damn near everything is insensitive. GTA is insensitive to victims of violence or theft, this game is insensitive to rape victims, hell, donkey kong is insensitive to people who were beaten by a large male/female. Just about every single damn thing is insensitive. People need to learn to grow some skin and live with it. Don't like it, don't use it.

And what if it triggers them, oh no. What if GTA triggers someone to steal a car, or what if simpson's road rage triggers people to joyride around town recklessly, or what if hitman triggers people to kill someone, hell, what if austin powers triggers people to go out about and sexually assault/hit on someone.

Anything can trigger anyone, this is no different. Anything can be insensitive, we have to grow skin, a spine and live with it.
  (#79 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Points: 36,109, Level: 27 Points: 36,109, Level: 27 Points: 36,109, Level: 27

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 11th 2009, 11:26 PM

*comes out of nowhere*
Wouldnt this have been better suited in the Debate Forum?
  (#80 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: "Rape Simulator" Video Game - March 11th 2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape_thereal_world View Post
*comes out of nowhere*
Wouldnt this have been better suited in the Debate Forum?
It is in the debate forum...

Closed Thread