TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

After Removal of 6 Vital Organs, Hope for Little Girl - March 11th 2009, 03:45 AM

http://health.msn.com/blogs/daily-do...9450&GT1=31036

This is just amazing. Medicine works wonders again. :]

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: After Removal of 6 Vital Organs, Hope for Little Girl - March 11th 2009, 04:37 AM

That's awesome to see such small children get help. =) At least we're getting somewhere with medicine if not anything else.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: After Removal of 6 Vital Organs, Hope for Little Girl - March 11th 2009, 05:16 AM

It is truly amazing that something like that can be done successfully. we have really come a long way with medical science. it is always good to see all of our current understandings and technology put to good use for once.

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Re: After Removal of 6 Vital Organs, Hope for Little Girl - March 11th 2009, 05:43 AM

That's amazing. I love hearing stories like this. =]

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Katieeee Offline
that's what she said.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: After Removal of 6 Vital Organs, Hope for Little Girl - March 11th 2009, 05:47 AM

That's a really touching story to read. It's amazing how far we've come.

You gotta spend some time love
You gotta spend some time with me
And I know that you'll find love
I will possess your heart

(#6 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: After Removal of 6 Vital Organs, Hope for Little Girl - March 11th 2009, 07:33 AM

Finally something good in the news, eh? Sounds like something off of House. xD

I'm happy for her and her family.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Dasha Offline
Dude......woah.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Dasha

Re: After Removal of 6 Vital Organs, Hope for Little Girl - March 11th 2009, 07:36 AM

That's awesome, and scary at the same time. Pretty soon people wont need body's just machines to keep us alive.

I am curious though, is she lighter now that she's lost half most her innards?

"For is it not death nor dying that I fear. But lack of life and purpose."
-----------
Love what is mortal; hold it against your bones knowing your own life depends on it; and, when the time comes to let it go, let it go.
-Mary Oliver
  Send a message via AIM to Dasha Send a message via Yahoo to Dasha Send a message via Skype™ to Dasha 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: After Removal of 6 Vital Organs, Hope for Little Girl - March 11th 2009, 10:35 AM

That's amazing. What a beautiful little girl as well, it's great to hear stories like this. :]

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#9 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: After Removal of 6 Vital Organs, Hope for Little Girl - March 11th 2009, 11:47 PM

That's pretty amazing. :-)

--A

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: After Removal of 6 Vital Organs, Hope for Little Girl - March 11th 2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxEllexx View Post
That's amazing. What a beautiful little girl as well, it's great to hear stories like this. :]
I would say counter-evolutionary rather than amazing. I thought vital organs were vital...

kid should have died

Quote:
Heather McNamara is a lively and funny 7-year old who looks as carefree as any other girl her age. Nothing in her cheerful demeanor betrays that Heather underwent a risky procedure little more than a month ago, in which surgeons removed six of her vital organs and a tumor the size of a baseball. Today, Heather looked happy and untroubled upon being released from the hospital.

In a 23-hour procedure in early February, surgeons had to take out the young girl's small and large intestines, liver, pancreas, spleen and stomach so they could remove the myofibroblastic tumor, which was intertwined with her vital organs and major blood vessels. The surgery, which was only the second of its kind and the first one performed on a child, appears successful.

Heather's liver and small and large intestines were re-implanted, but her stomach, pancreas and spleen were too damaged to be saved. Instead of a stomach, Heather now has an intestinal pouch to hold food. Daily insulin injections and digestive enzymes will allow her to live without a pancreas. Without a spleen, she may be more susceptible to infections.

Smiling brightly, Heather appeared with her family at a news conference today at New York–Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital, where the surgery was performed. She said she was looking forward to going home and playing with her sister, and her dog, Angel.

The 7-year old girl, who looks like a little angel herself, gave an optimistic message to anyone who's sick, or has a child who's sick: "There is hope."
Red is an opinion. Respectable stories should have none of these in

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: After Removal of 6 Vital Organs, Hope for Little Girl - March 12th 2009, 04:21 PM

Wondeful story. Wow! The surgery was only the second of its kind... that's pretty crazy. I'm happy for the child.

And Hyper Sonic, honestly... get off your high horse. I'm sure you wouldn't be acting so holier-than-thou if you or someone close to you had cancer and was going through something like that. Seriously. You're not impressing anyone.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: After Removal of 6 Vital Organs, Hope for Little Girl - March 12th 2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
Wondeful story. Wow! The surgery was only the second of its kind... that's pretty crazy. I'm happy for the child.

And Hyper Sonic, honestly... get off your high horse. I'm sure you wouldn't be acting so holier-than-thou if you or someone close to you had cancer and was going through something like that. Seriously. You're not impressing anyone.
Almost certainly not but that's not the case. I suggest you look up "objective" in the dictionary

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: After Removal of 6 Vital Organs, Hope for Little Girl - March 12th 2009, 05:07 PM

Does she have a chance at a long life?

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: After Removal of 6 Vital Organs, Hope for Little Girl - March 12th 2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
Almost certainly not but that's not the case. I suggest you look up "objective" in the dictionary
Whether the article is subjective or objective doesn't matter, The point is a little girl's life was saved. Instead of saying "she should have died," it's be decent to be happy for her and her family. But whatever, your persona is no concern of mine.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: After Removal of 6 Vital Organs, Hope for Little Girl - March 12th 2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
Whether the article is subjective or objective doesn't matter, The point is a little girl's life was saved. Instead of saying "she should have died," it's be decent to be happy for her and her family. But whatever, your persona is no concern of mine.
The article's undertone is of utmost importance. A highly subjective article will divert people from the facts to the point where it becomes an anecdotal story. Not to mention who said I wasn't glad she survived? From a evolutionary point of view she should have died, natural selection says she should have died, not me. At it's most basic the weak (like those needing 6 organs replaces) die and the strong survive to pass on their genes to the next generation. Medical "Advances" are stifling evolution. Not to mention Zack's point about lifespan and possibly quality of life.

But whatever, your inability to argue on the points I raise and the resorting to personal attacks validates my point more than I could have hoped for

Last edited by Hyper Sonic; March 12th 2009 at 09:11 PM.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Cameron
Location: a place surrounded by lakes: it's cold, and poor, and named Detroit

Re: After Removal of 6 Vital Organs, Hope for Little Girl - March 12th 2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
The article's undertone is of utmost importance. A highly subjective article will divert people from the facts to the point where it becomes an anecdotal story. Not to mention who said I wasn't glad she survived? From a evolutionary point of view she should have died, natural selection says she should have died, not me. At it's most basic the weak (like those needing 6 organs replaces) die and the strong survive to pass on their genes to the next generation. Medical "Advances" are stifling evolution. Not to mention Cameron's point about lifespan and possibly quality of life.

But whatever, your inability to argue on the points I raise and the resorting to personal attacks validates my point more than I could have hoped for
Whose point about lifespan? lol, I'm the only Cameron I know...

ENTER SHIKARI! BEST BAND EVER!!
(little thanks to Just.Tegan for showing me these guys)

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: After Removal of 6 Vital Organs, Hope for Little Girl - March 12th 2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesThisLookInfected? View Post
Whose point about lifespan? lol, I'm the only Cameron I know...
Hmm, I thought it was you. Must have misread. I've edited my last post now and apologies if I attributed to you something that you do not believe

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough

Re: After Removal of 6 Vital Organs, Hope for Little Girl - March 12th 2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
The article's undertone is of utmost importance. A highly subjective article will divert people from the facts to the point where it becomes an anecdotal story. Not to mention who said I wasn't glad she survived? From a evolutionary point of view she should have died, natural selection says she should have died, not me. At it's most basic the weak (like those needing 6 organs replaces) die and the strong survive to pass on their genes to the next generation. Medical "Advances" are stifling evolution. Not to mention Zack's point about lifespan and possibly quality of life.

Isn't that the point of nearly all of human advancement, to be counter-evolutionary? I see it as a mark of our intelligence that, instead of primarily evolving through natural selection, we use our intellects to achieve the survival advantages of evolution while avoiding the pain of natural selection.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Kryptonite Offline
Hmph
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: After Removal of 6 Vital Organs, Hope for Little Girl - March 13th 2009, 01:27 AM

Haha, that did sound like something from House. Good news = me happy.

Alex
[Click to PM me.]

"If I go crazy then will you still
call me Superman
If Iím alive and well, will you be
There holding my hand
Iíll keep you by my side
With my superhuman might...
Kryptonite"

<3

Closed Thread