TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Levi Bellfield proved guilty and sentenced to life. - June 24th 2011, 09:13 PM

This is the article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-13875507

Whilst I think it is amazing that justice has been made, I honestly find the reaction of Milly's sister really ignorant. I understand that she has lost her sister in a horrible way, but in the great words of Gandhi 'An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind'
It just annoys me the way she says that it should be a life for a life.

But that's me.

Also, do you think the judge should have dismissed the jury? ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-13903710 )

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Levi Bellfield proved guilty and sentenced to life. - June 25th 2011, 02:05 AM

It's a sad case, but life in prison is really the only bit of justice to be had. If I remember correctly, the death penalty no longer exists in the U.K but I could be wrong. Besides that, he won't live for long in prison. He murdered, and who knows what else, several young women. Most harden criminals do not like those who kill children and she was technically a child.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: Levi Bellfield proved guilty and sentenced to life. - June 25th 2011, 08:46 AM

The man sounds like he needs a life intensive corrections order (whilst being detained in a centre) rather than a life in prison.

One million miles away...

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Joe

Re: Levi Bellfield proved guilty and sentenced to life. - June 25th 2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey. View Post
It's a sad case, but life in prison is really the only bit of justice to be had. If I remember correctly, the death penalty no longer exists in the U.K but I could be wrong. Besides that, he won't live for long in prison. He murdered, and who knows what else, several young women. Most harden criminals do not like those who kill children and she was technically a child.

I don't think I have heard in my lifetime of a prisoner being murdered by other prisoners in the UK. But he's serving a life term.

However, I think it rather arrogant on the OP's part to call Mily's sister ignorant. While I don't agree with what the sister had to say either I can understand why she said, and I'm sure that doesn't need to be explained. Its why the hand of justice always belongs to those with no personal feelings in the case.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Levi Bellfield proved guilty and sentenced to life. - June 25th 2011, 11:32 AM

Some prisoners do get murdered in prison, but its not some prisons will happily allow the media to hear due to confidentiality laws. If a murder does occur however, there has been a great deal of omission and misconduct on the part of the staff not to remove an in danger prisoner to another place. For example, pedophiles will often have to be moved if their charge is found out, or they will get killed. Murder in prisons, not that common, but can happen. It has happened in your life time, like with this child sex offender:

(Triggering: Rape)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-12549804

It also doesn't only happen to child sex offenders. E.g. racism.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5126614.stm

Last edited by Marvin; June 25th 2011 at 11:39 AM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Levi Bellfield proved guilty and sentenced to life. - June 25th 2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
As is stated, I don't know exactly what things are like in the U.K., but here in the U.S., there are a fair number of prisoners who, even though they have done wrong, still feel that someone who murders children is scum beneath even other prisoners. There have been a few incidents of child rapists/murderers being assaulted or killed by their cellmates or others in the prison.

I don't support the death penalty, and although this man did some terrible things, I stand by that. He can rot in a cell for the rest of his miserable life for the horrible things he's done.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Levi Bellfield proved guilty and sentenced to life. - June 25th 2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
It's a sad case, but life in prison is really the only bit of justice to be had. If I remember correctly, the death penalty no longer exists in the U.K but I could be wrong.
Yep, we got rid of that in 1969 on the mainland and 1973 in Northern Ireland - although technically it wasn't until 1998 that it was finally removed from the statute book completely by the Human Rights Act. Before then you could still be executed for certain acts of treason in times of war. Now that we've signed up to the 13th Protocol of the European Convention on Human Rights, we cannot bring it back without breaking that treaty either.

Anyway, I am glad that he has been brought to justice - I remember when this all happened in 2002 and it's stuck with me ever since. What I am not so glad about, however, are both comments like her sister's "life for a life" statement - which, while perfectly understandable, is not to do with justice as it is usually defined and more about revenge - and the way the Dowler family were attacked by the defence counsel in an attempt to discredit the case against Bellfield. I understand all too well the reason we have an adversarial model, but that to me overstepped the mark completely and I think some stricter guidelines need to be brought in as a matter of urgency so judges can step in more readily when this happened. I fail to see how much of what the defence dragged out into public had any relevance to the case against their client.

On the being murdered in prison issue, Invert has already covered the fact that it does happen and I personally feel that is as abhorrent as any other form of murder and should not be advocated by any means.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: Levi Bellfield proved guilty and sentenced to life. - June 25th 2011, 08:32 PM

You can technically still be hung for treason...

(#9 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Re: Levi Bellfield proved guilty and sentenced to life. - June 25th 2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSkies View Post
You can technically still be hung for treason...
That went in 1998 as well - it was in part of the Crime and Disorder Act after an amendment was proposed by Lord Archer and accepted by Parliament. Hanging would still breach the 13th Protocol if that amendment had not been made.

EDIT: Yes, I am that much of a law geek.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: Levi Bellfield proved guilty and sentenced to life. - June 25th 2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
That went in 1998 as well - it was in part of the Crime and Disorder Act after an amendment was proposed by Lord Archer and accepted by Parliament. Hanging would still breach the 13th Protocol if that amendment had not been made.

EDIT: Yes, I am that much of a law geek.
No way. My history teachers are wrong

So... you can't be killed at all for treason?

(#11 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Re: Levi Bellfield proved guilty and sentenced to life. - June 25th 2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:

No way. My history teachers are wrong

So... you can't be killed at all for treason?
Nope - not since 1998 at least. Lord Archer's amendment specifically dealt with treason and piracy with violence, and any loopholes left in military law or under the auspices of "in time of war" were removed by the Human Rights Act. Source. In their defence I had to study the HRA for one of my first year modules so that's the only reason I know about it, and I think it's one of those that you wouldn't realise unless you read the Act, but yes you can no longer be killed for treason. So there you go - you can correct your history teachers.

Quote:
RIP Nick

(#12 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Levi Bellfield proved guilty and sentenced to life. - June 26th 2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
This is the article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-13875507

Whilst I think it is amazing that justice has been made, I honestly find the reaction of Milly's sister really ignorant. I understand that she has lost her sister in a horrible way, but in the great words of Gandhi 'An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind'
It just annoys me the way she says that it should be a life for a life.

But that's me.

Also, do you think the judge should have dismissed the jury? ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-13903710 )
Ignorant? Really? If that's how she feels then she has every right to say and think that. This evil man brutally murdered her sister, i actually think she was quite dignified in her statement. It's easy for you to call her ignorant when you're not in her position.

As for Levi Bellfield, i think he's absolute scum and i'm glad he has finally been found guilty of Milly's murder - at least now the family can attempt to regain some sort of normality.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

Closed Thread