TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 15th 2009, 11:50 PM

Article

(Warning: link could have triggering advertisements.)

I really hope she is able to wear pants to prom. I don't see why they should stop her from wearing pants. I think that's a stupid battle to fight to begin with.

--A

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 15th 2009, 11:53 PM

Not just for lesbians you should wear whatever you want to prom..

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Turquoise Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Emily

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 15th 2009, 11:54 PM

Yeah, honestly, I can think of a lot of straight girls that I know that just don't feel comfortable in dresses, and would like to wear a nice pair of pants and a blouse to prom.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 12:01 AM

She should be allowed to wear whatever she wants to the prom, within reason. Having a dress code where girls have to wear dresses is just ridiculous. Not everyone feels comfortable in a dress, whether they're lesbian or not is irrelevent really.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#5 (permalink)) Old
8evey8 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Evey

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 12:09 AM

schools are so stupid sometimes. i dnt c the problem w/ pants as long as they are dessy type pants. not like ripped jeans they should get over it, seriously

(#6 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 12:10 AM

I don't know about this one.
I'm sorry to anyone who disagrees, but isn't prom supposed to be kind of formal, and fancy? If there was no dress code, there would be people showing up wearing anything, and how would that look for a fancy formal dance? It does suck to have a dress code. But, when you have something like a job interview or some other formal party/dance, it's not okay to show up wearing jeans and a tank top. What will people think of you, and how you appear? It's an important part of society to know what not to wear to certain social events, isn't it?

On second thought, having a dress code can be a bit rough sometimes, especially if you're not a dress kind of person. So, that's where I kind of am on the border on this one.

But, personally, I think this girl is taking it a bit over the top. Suing the school? Getting the law involved, and the Constitution? I know that we have our rights to freedom, but you do have to follow rules and dress codes in school. That's just life. You can get used to it, or cause a ruckus every time you can't do something your own way. If the girl is so upset with the rules of prom, and she refuses to wear a dress, then don't go to prom. Or hey, show up in a suit. I'm all for lesbian and gay rights and all that, but in a way... this is just stupid. But hey, that's just my opinion.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#7 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Girl View Post
I'm sorry to anyone who disagrees, but isn't prom supposed to be kind of formal, and fancy? If there was no dress code, there would be people showing up wearing anything, and how would that look for a fancy formal dance? It does suck to have a dress code. But, when you have something like a job interview or some other formal party/dance, it's not okay to show up wearing jeans and a tank top. What will people think of you, and how you appear? It's an important part of society to know what not to wear to certain social events, isn't it?

On second thought, having a dress code can be a bit rough sometimes, especially if you're not a dress kind of person. So, that's where I kind of am on the border on this one.

But, personally, I think this girl is taking it a bit over the top. Suing the school? Getting the law involved, and the Constitution? I know that we have our rights to freedom, but you do have to follow rules and dress codes in school. That's just life. You can get used to it, or cause a ruckus every time you can't do something your own way. If the girl is so upset with the rules of prom, and she refuses to wear a dress, then don't go to prom. Or hey, show up in a suit. I'm all for lesbian and gay rights and all that, but in a way... this is just stupid. But hey, that's just my opinion.
Why should girls have to wear dresses when males can get away with pants, which they wear all the time?

I think she is suing the school for the publicity most likely

--A

(#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:

I agree with you that when it comes to things like work and job interviews you may be expected to wear certain things, and that's fair enough. Also, i do agree that suing her school is taking it a bit far. On second thoughts, i don't really know what i think about this. Although i don't think this girl should have to wear a dress is she doesn't want to, i can see where you're coming from that she can't just turn up in whatever she wants, because prom is something that comes with traditions and what not. I don't think i'm making much sense here.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxEllexx View Post
I agree with you that when it comes to things like work and job interviews you may be expected to wear certain things, and that's fair enough. Also, i do agree that suing her school is taking it a bit far. On second thoughts, i don't really know what i think about this. Although i don't think this girl should have to wear a dress is she doesn't want to, i can see where you're coming from that she can't just turn up in whatever she wants, because prom is something that comes with traditions and what not. I don't think i'm making much sense here.
But why should people expect you to wear very decent clothes to job interviews? It isn't what is on the outside that matters, it is what is on the inside. (I'd still probably dress up anyway, but I hate how you are judge the moment you walk into the door by what you have on.)

--A

(#10 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 12:28 AM

I don't see the big deal with letting her pants. I hate public schools for this reason, alone. We had an instance at my high school that almost had to involve the ACLU and it involved a students gender identity and graduation attire. My school ended up allowing the student to wear what they wanted for their gender identity and it ended up not being a big deal.
Schools just need to butt out on this instance. It isn't like she was asking to wear jeans. She can wear a female suit or something.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontno View Post
But why should people expect you to wear very decent clothes to job interviews? It isn't what is on the outside that matters, it is what is on the inside. (I'd still probably dress up anyway, but I hate how you are judge the moment you walk into the door by what you have on.)

I agree that it should be whats on the inside that counts, but unfortunately it just doesn't seem to work like that. It's sad that people should feel like they have to dress or act a certain way, but eh, i don't see it changing when it comes to interviews and such any time soon.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 12:42 AM

I can understand wanting to keep a sense of formality at prom, but girls can be just as dressy and still wear pants. It's not like she's going to show up in ripped jeans and a tube top. As long as she keeps it dressy, what's the problem?

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:

As long as it's still formal, why does it matter if it's a dress or not? Do boys look under dressed too unless they're wearing a dress? We're supposed to be going for gender equality, people. Either everyone(boys and girls) have to wear dresses or no one has to wear dresses. Also, this isn't an issue of sexual orientation. It doesn't really matter if she's a lesbian or not.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 02:00 AM

If you go to the school you follow their rules for prom. Sexual orientation has nothing to do with it and I'm disappointed the OP implied it was.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:

Save the suits and ties for jobs. If I want to wear a kiss tshirt and torn jeans to a school function that should be my choice not the schools.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
Save the suits and ties for jobs. If I want to wear a kiss tshirt and torn jeans to a school function that should be my choice not the schools.
It is then the school's choice whether or not to forbid you entry, not yours. The school is only obliged to provide an education for you and it would take a huge stretch of the imagination to make an event such as a prom educational

(#17 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 02:25 AM

I do think that prom should remain a formal affair, and you can obviously wear pants as a girl and still be formal. But I also think this issue has nothing to do with sexuality. I knew plenty of straight girls in high school that would have felt more comfortable in pants. The fact that it's being made into a sexuality argument is what's annoying. But girls should be allowed to wear pants to prom.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
I do think that prom should remain a formal affair, and you can obviously wear pants as a girl and still be formal. But I also think this issue has nothing to do with sexuality. I knew plenty of straight girls in high school that would have felt more comfortable in pants. The fact that it's being made into a sexuality argument is what's annoying. But girls should be allowed to wear pants to prom.
Yeah, I think she's trying to play the discrimination card when it does not apply here. After all, there are probably thousands of straight girls who don't get anywhere or anything like the media attention. You cannot have one rule for homosexuals and another for heterosexuals, that's in breach of sexual discrimination laws

(#19 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
I personally think she's turning it into a sexuality argument for the media attention. Any girl should be allowed to wear pants to prom.

--A

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 02:36 AM

No matter the reasons behind it, the issue is still there.

A girl should be able to wear pants to prom. While I'm okay with a dress code, forcing a girl to wear a dress is so 1800's

I think suing the school is okay. It's her right, and sometimes things need to be done. *shrugs*

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 02:40 AM

What would suing the school bring apart from cash? The only problem I could see is fear spreading across the district making schools cave into media pressure which is good for nobody. I hope the court throws it out forthwith.

Quote:
While I'm okay with a dress code, forcing a girl to wear a dress is so 1800's
To be fair the whole idea of a prom is 1800s. Boy meets girl and they dance. They only difference is that in Victorian times they'd court and perhaps marry

Huh? That implies to me that you're ok with the 'so 1800's'. A dress code is essentially forcing entrants to wear something what they want. Whether explicitly stated or via a list of forbidden dress it enforces then to wear a dress.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 09:52 AM

First: LOL at the photo of Ellen. xD

Second: Good for her! I wore pants to a few high school dance thingys. That was never an issue. I did have to fight to go to graduation in "boy" colors. I won that battle, but that's a story for another time.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#23 (permalink)) Old
fallen fairy Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Fairy

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 05:28 PM

This is so dumb, we had that dress code up until our years leavers prom, at which point my (oddly enough lesbian) friend wore a suit, because she is so painfully uncomfortable in dresses and it was fine, she was still smart and still pretty and all but just in her own way

(#24 (permalink)) Old
molliegym Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Molly

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 05:33 PM

Didn't they offer to let her wear a pantsuit? So I think the issue is that she wants to wear a tuxedo, which is traditionally male attire, not just "pants". Personally, I don't see a problem with a girl wearing a pantsuit or a tuxedo.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/MOLLYH%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]A few clicks will help @TWLOHA win $1 Million for suicide prevention. Please share this with others. Vote here:http://bit.ly/7si7Be

My music

I never conquered, rarely came
Tomorrow holds such better days

Check out my blog, Cold Fusion, with music news, reviews, and other related musings.

Send a message via AIM to molliegym Send a message via MSN to molliegym  
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Lozzaa Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 05:47 PM

People should wear any type of formal wear to prom. She could always wear a formal (female) suit. I know it has been done at my school before.

If there was a dress code here, I don't think all guys would be pleased at wearing kilts, and girls dresses.

As long as it's some type of formal wear it should be allowed for everyone, no matter what sexual orientation and gender.
  Send a message via MSN to Lozzaa Send a message via Skype™ to Lozzaa 
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzaa View Post
People should wear any type of formal wear to prom. She could always wear a formal (female) suit. I know it has been done at my school before.

If there was a dress code here, I don't think all guys would be pleased at wearing kilts, and girls dresses.

As long as it's some type of formal wear it should be allowed for everyone, no matter what sexual orientation and gender.
This is amazingly well put.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 06:28 PM

I think the fact she has bought her sexuality into this is really uncalled for because it makes it seem as if only lesbians are uncomfortable in dresses when there is probably a large amount of girls who are uncomfortable in dresses as well. As said, she's just trying to use that to her advantage when it isn't needed in this situation.

The school stating that girls have to wear dresses is pretty unfair, it should just state that it has to be formal so that girls could wear other formal outfits instead of dresses like a skirt and blouse or something. But at the same time, it seems like she's making a big deal out of something really small.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 07:06 PM

I don't agree with dress codes but hey, it's the schools rule, apparently. You have to follow it. My school doesn't allow guys to have long hair and they are made cut it if it gets too long. Most people don't agree with this but you just have to get on with it.

I don't see what being a Lesbian has to do with it. I know straight people who loathe the thought of wearing dresses to prom.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Lozzaa Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 07:09 PM

I found this link :here.

It sounds like the press are making the big deal out of it rather than the student to be honest. She doesn't want to wear a dress, fair do's. It sounds like her sexual orientation is just known about at school and good on her for being so open.

Quote:
The ACLU says the student won't be breaking any dress codes should she wear a tux. Many of her fellow classmates not only agree, but are supportive.
I don't see why the school is truly against it, if its not against any dress codes.
  Send a message via MSN to Lozzaa Send a message via Skype™ to Lozzaa 
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Kryptonite Offline
Hmph
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 08:21 PM

I'm fine with her wearing a tux, but she has to stay under the dress code. Just because she is a lesbian doesn't mean she can get out of it just like that.

Alex
[Click to PM me.]

"If I go crazy then will you still
call me Superman
If Iím alive and well, will you be
There holding my hand
Iíll keep you by my side
With my superhuman might...
Kryptonite"

<3

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 08:58 PM

A girl in my school wore smart womens pants, a shirt and waistcoat to the prom.
My school was fine wit it..

She isn't a lesbian she is just very sporty and tomboyish.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
What would suing the school bring apart from cash? The only problem I could see is fear spreading across the district making schools cave into media pressure which is good for nobody. I hope the court throws it out forthwith.

To be fair the whole idea of a prom is 1800s. Boy meets girl and they dance. They only difference is that in Victorian times they'd court and perhaps marry

Huh? That implies to me that you're ok with the 'so 1800's'. A dress code is essentially forcing entrants to wear something what they want. Whether explicitly stated or via a list of forbidden dress it enforces then to wear a dress.
So we aren't allowed to keep "good" things or things that don't harm anyone from the past unless we keep everything? We can still keep traditions, but that doesn't mean we can't alter them so they are improved. No reason it can't be boy meets boy or whatever. (That was actually irrelevant to her being a lesbian, because I don't think it matters what gender she prefers. I just used the homosexual example because both the attire and what is in your date's pants are forms of sexism.)

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

Last edited by Toast; March 16th 2009 at 09:30 PM.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Mel Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Mel

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 10:05 PM

I don't really see what the issue is. If she wants to wear a tuxedo, let her? It isn't harming anyone.

∞ 1.16.07 ∞ 7.4.07 ∞ 9.16.08 ∞

Click here to PM me. | Never Give Up ツ

I have not failed.
I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

(#34 (permalink)) Old
drowningangel Offline
.Surrender.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathy

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 10:54 PM

I know my school didn't have an issue with what you wore, but we had a big issue with the administration not allowing girls to come as friends because they were trying to prevent "homosexual couples" at the dance. How stupid.

Married since 28 June 2009 to my DevilDog

-----

"Whatever souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
- Emily Bronte

(#35 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 16th 2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowningangel View Post
I know my school didn't have an issue with what you wore, but we had a big issue with the administration not allowing girls to come as friends because they were trying to prevent "homosexual couples" at the dance. How stupid.
Can they really do that? I have a lot of girlfriends who (if they are dateless) will pair up to get cheaper tickets to get into a dance. No one ever says anything about that. Heck, teachers have even suggested it.

--A

(#36 (permalink)) Old
molliegym Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Molly

Re: Lesbian Fights for Her Right to Wear Pants to Prom - March 17th 2009, 12:31 AM

Update: "School policy for this year's prom will be that all attendees shall wear appropriate formal attire with no gender-based attire requirements imposed," the statement said. "Female students will be permitted to wear tuxedos if they choose."

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...AL02/903160367

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/MOLLYH%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]A few clicks will help @TWLOHA win $1 Million for suicide prevention. Please share this with others. Vote here:http://bit.ly/7si7Be

My music

I never conquered, rarely came
Tomorrow holds such better days

Check out my blog, Cold Fusion, with music news, reviews, and other related musings.

Send a message via AIM to molliegym Send a message via MSN to molliegym  
Closed Thread