TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci

Sorry you're sick, but wow, you look great! - August 10th 2011, 05:39 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Warning: content of article may be triggering
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/440110...ure-so-skinny/
What do you guys think about this article?
It's funny how our society is liking smaller and smaller girls.
I know there is a part about how psychologically, people don't want to face the illness.
But I still got...disturbed...reading this.
My cousin in law got really sick before her wedding, and she lost a lot of weight, and the same thing happened, everybody was complimenting her about how good she looked and she was like "I've been puking for a week, thanks."
When I was at my lowest weight, I also got a lot of compliments, and I was sick.
I don't know. It's a hard subject.

"Fight the long defeat."

"Iím not going to stop because we keep losing. Now I actually think sometimes we may win."
Rest in Peace Peter.
Skittlify

Last edited by Coffee.; August 10th 2011 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Added triggering prefix within content.
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Sorry you're sick, but wow, you look great! - August 10th 2011, 06:30 AM

I'm not trying to be sexist here, but I truly believe that the majority of people who have complimented her "fabulous" weight loss is women. I believe the media concentrates these types of articles on the things that you hear rather than the things you don't hear. Of course women are going to compliment another woman for losing weight; women lead themselves to believe that you can't be beautiful without being skinny and wearing make up. Some pressure themselves more than others, but typically a woman is curious on how to improve yourself, and I think that they would obviously comment to a woman about losing a dramatic amount of weight because they want in on that "secret."

I've witnessed it personally when my girlfriend got an operation about a month ago and started losing a lot of weight, and to no surprise, many women commented on her Facebook about her "secret." So I believe that I am justified in my opinion that the only people who think that losing weight through sickness is "great" is just women. Ask for a man's opinion on the matter, and I believe you'll get a totally different perspective, and I don't think the media focuses these articles on what they don't hear but rather what they do. To me, looking like skin and bones regardless of why is completely unattractive regardless.

"I may not be smart, but I am stupid." - Brandon

Got a question and want brutal honesty? PM me!
  Send a message via MSN to Brandon Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon 
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Sorry you're sick, but wow, you look great! - August 10th 2011, 07:08 AM

To be honest, I agree with you, and that part of the article did make me raise my eyebrows. I think the majority of guys like healthy looking women. It's women who want that sense of "perfection" and will compliment a sick woman just because of her loss of weight.

"Fight the long defeat."

"Iím not going to stop because we keep losing. Now I actually think sometimes we may win."
Rest in Peace Peter.
Skittlify
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Sorry you're sick, but wow, you look great! - August 10th 2011, 07:45 AM

Looking at her first picture, I don't find anything attractive about it. When someone is a walking skeleton, they look incredibly unhealthy like the walking dead. I do not understand how any man finds her body nice-looking, perhaps they were compliments out of pity or sympathy. I find it more likely fellow women complimented her because they are more likely to want to have that body figure than men.

In my clinical psychology class last year, we saw a lady in her 30s to early 40s who looked thinner than the first picture in the link. Her body figure was due to intentional self-starvation. She wore a hat because her hair was falling out, her nails were already cracked and chipped, a few fell out already. She couldn't even walk because she was too weak and her skeletal body was too heavy for her. After she gained a bit more weight due to being force-fed (looked a bit thinner than the first picture still), she could walk on her own, she said she also received compliments from others. At first I thought she was joking but our professor (a clinical psychologist) said she wasn't joking at all. Ironically, not a single man complimented her, only women, even a few female students in the class complimented her but the remaining students thought she looked like the walking dead.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Re: Sorry you're sick, but wow, you look great! - August 10th 2011, 08:22 AM

How can they be so inconsiderate?

The article may be triggering to some members due to the photo and weight figures. Maybe you could add a warning to the beginning of your post?

"Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Sorry you're sick, but wow, you look great! - August 10th 2011, 08:54 AM

Thanks Sylvie! I will do that.

"Fight the long defeat."

Rest in Peace Peter.
Skittlify
Closed Thread