TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough
*********
 
escape_thereal_world's Avatar
 
Name: Kelly
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Charleston, SC

Posts: 3,097
Blog Entries: 98
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 23rd 2011, 05:55 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/20...t_12764666.htm

A few months old, but it has stayed in headlines since. Very moving story and a few pictures (nothing graphic, just boy on a ledge - he does not jump)
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
LlamaLlamaDuck's Avatar
 
Name: Louise
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Scotland

Posts: 6,046
Blog Entries: 295
Join Date: July 14th 2009

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 23rd 2011, 06:13 PM

This is beautiful. <3


Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right


We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
LostTeen011 Offline
Blah :P
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
LostTeen011's Avatar
 
Name: Noelle
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Virginia, USA

Posts: 260
Join Date: December 11th 2010

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 23rd 2011, 06:37 PM

That was so romantic! I am just in awh over the story, seems like something right out of a movie.


Pure Imagination

"Music is the universal language that connects the world as one" -LostTeen011
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Daivia's Avatar
 
Name: Maeve
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: The Peach State

Posts: 878
Blog Entries: 13
Join Date: July 30th 2011

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 23rd 2011, 06:50 PM

http://www.cracked.com/blog/8-tiny-t...pped-suicides/

They weren't going out, and they were three years apart in age. They were just strangers. Still pretty cool though I guess.
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough
*********
 
escape_thereal_world's Avatar
 
Name: Kelly
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Charleston, SC

Posts: 3,097
Blog Entries: 98
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 23rd 2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
http://www.cracked.com/blog/8-tiny-t...pped-suicides/

They weren't going out, and they were three years apart in age. They were just strangers. Still pretty cool though I guess.
The article I posted states this already

I think it's even more awesome.
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while
********
 
Obliviate's Avatar
 
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Location: Earth, England

Posts: 1,633
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: June 6th 2010

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 23rd 2011, 08:53 PM

This is so inspirational.

Such a lovely story and a happy ending <3




   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while
********
 
Fictional's Avatar
 
Name: Jessy
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: here, stealing all your help =P

Posts: 1,520
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 9th 2009

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 23rd 2011, 09:17 PM

awwwwwww


There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.



Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while
********
 
Heretic's Avatar
 
Name: [060191.1723]
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: 43.337557, -89.638498

Posts: 1,695
Blog Entries: 9
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 23rd 2011, 10:40 PM

Aww, that's so cute.


Ethos
Pathos
Logos

050516.0029
  Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Stargazed.'s Avatar
 

Posts: 3,532
Join Date: October 3rd 2010

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 23rd 2011, 11:10 PM

This is the most inspirational thing I've read, ever<3
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 24th 2011, 06:23 AM

Bravery and stupidity can occur together, as it did here. If a guy is threatening to kill himself, has a weapon and others failed to help him, it's clear he has some determination but is quite unstable. She was brave and stupid by hugging him because he had more than ample time to stab her at least a few times before the police reacted.

But hey, he seemed to have changed a fake girlfriend into a real girlfriend, not a way I'd get a girl though.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Haruhi Offline
Kpop Fan ~
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Haruhi's Avatar
 
Name: Jorddii
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: England

Posts: 205
Join Date: August 18th 2009

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 24th 2011, 10:47 AM

This is fairly sweet.
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
MegaMadness's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: Aussie Land

Posts: 5,564
Blog Entries: 16
Join Date: October 11th 2009

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 24th 2011, 11:26 AM

That was brave and really nice of the girl to do that.


Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Bubbly751 Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Bubbly751's Avatar
 
Name: Sarah
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Location: Nebraska

Posts: 352
Blog Entries: 22
Join Date: June 16th 2010

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 27th 2011, 06:01 AM

Aww what she did for him was so amazing!


Feel free to PM or VM me

Sh free since 7/10/16

I've been here for 3 years and counting!!
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran
*************
 
Eternal's Avatar
 
Name: Nicole
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: PDX

Posts: 12,425
Join Date: October 14th 2010

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 27th 2011, 08:01 AM

Thats so cute and really amazing <3


And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while
********
 
Loving Linux Penguin's Avatar
 
Name: Chris
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 1,634
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: December 27th 2009

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 27th 2011, 08:09 AM

Feels good to know that there is still a bit of love in this world


Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)


last updated on 11/11/17
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict
************
 
Coffee.'s Avatar
 
Name: Traci
Age: 26
Gender: she/her/hers
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 8,147
Blog Entries: 639
Join Date: October 29th 2009

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 27th 2011, 08:33 AM

This story made my night.


I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said ďit hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
This Time I'll Make You Proud.
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Fabrication's Avatar
 
Name: Fallon
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Location: Kansas

Posts: 585
Blog Entries: 4
Join Date: April 20th 2011

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 28th 2011, 09:02 PM

aww! truly amazing <3


"..And if you're perusing the social media networks, I urge you to keep your fucking opinions to yourself. If you're going ruin someone's day, ruin your own."
- Bert McCracken
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Marguerite's Avatar
 
Name: Marguerite
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Australia

Posts: 1,064
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: June 1st 2010

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 28th 2011, 10:03 PM

I don't see how this is cute or inspirational. Good thing he didn't jump but we're still talking about a disturbed, suicidal 16 year old here. Not exactly the stuff rom coms are made of.


To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough
*********
 
dr2005's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Posts: 2,221
Join Date: February 14th 2010

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 28th 2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerite View Post
I don't see how this is cute or inspirational. Good thing he didn't jump but we're still talking about a disturbed, suicidal 16 year old here. Not exactly the stuff rom coms are made of.
You'd be amazed what they make rom coms out of nowadays, especially over here. But yes, I suppose it does overlook the poor young man's problems somewhat. Nonetheless, her act of courage and compassion and the effect it had is pretty inspirational you'd have to admit.

On a separate note, this all kind of reminded me of the Hurts song "Wonderful Life" - if you haven't heard it, Google the lyrics and you'll see what I mean.


"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 29th 2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerite View Post
I don't see how this is cute or inspirational. Good thing he didn't jump but we're still talking about a disturbed, suicidal 16 year old here. Not exactly the stuff rom coms are made of.
First person I agree with in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005
You'd be amazed what they make rom coms out of nowadays, especially over here. But yes, I suppose it does overlook the poor young man's problems somewhat. Nonetheless, her act of courage and compassion and the effect it had is pretty inspirational you'd have to admit.
I only agree with the bold part.

The article glamorizes suicide by ignoring the boy's psychiatric problems. Instead, it focuses on the girl's actions, which I don't view as inspirational, cute, compassionate, etc... . They were irrational and nonsensical. She had no clue of his psychiatric problems, for all she knew, he could've fileted her alive, pull her over the edge with him, take her hostage, etc... . I suppose I have to agree with the fact she was courageous but courage doesn't go hand-in-hand with inspiration or compassion.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough
*********
 
dr2005's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Posts: 2,221
Join Date: February 14th 2010

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 29th 2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
The article glamorizes suicide by ignoring the boy's psychiatric problems. Instead, it focuses on the girl's actions, which I don't view as inspirational, cute, compassionate, etc... . They were irrational and nonsensical. She had no clue of his psychiatric problems, for all she knew, he could've fileted her alive, pull her over the edge with him, take her hostage, etc... . I suppose I have to agree with the fact she was courageous but courage doesn't go hand-in-hand with inspiration or compassion.
When does something have to be rational to be a demonstration of compassion? Emotion generally is hardly an area much governed by reason or logic, after all. On the other points, having had experience of suicidality herself I would imagine she could work out he was more likely to harm himself with the knife than anyone else - in such circumstances, people who wield weapons do so as a deterrent to aid them rather than to actually cause harm to others. There is certainly nothing in the behaviour to suggest any other kind of psychiatric condition, particularly in the comments he gave which chime with suicidality triggered by depression. I disagree strongly with the claim that it glamourises suicide - that to me seems utterly wide of the mark - and while I agree that it overlooks his own plight (as acknowledged in my first post) it is merest speculation to suggest there was something she was unaware of that put her in undue harm's way. I am of the view we can credit her with at least enough intelligence to be aware of what she was getting herself into.


"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough
*********
 
WhisperingSilence's Avatar
 
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: where ever the coffee is

Posts: 3,465
Blog Entries: 1474
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 29th 2011, 09:47 PM

that is such a sweet story, its great that they are friends and call each other from time to time.



BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.
   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough
*********
 
escape_thereal_world's Avatar
 
Name: Kelly
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Charleston, SC

Posts: 3,097
Blog Entries: 98
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 29th 2011, 10:11 PM

I do not see how it "glamorizes" suicide. The only thing I felt it does is show that there are people who care and will go to crazy lengths to show people. This is one GOOD story of many BAD stories about suicide. I just feel it was inspiring to show others care, no matter who they might be or who you might be.

Take it as you will, but I took it as a good story and left it at that. Granted, the boy is still going through problems, but he obviously found a reason to live or he would have just jumped or hurt himself. He did not. So he found a light. Now he is getting the help he should and has a new friend. So, I do not see how the article "ignores" his issues, either.
   
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
savealife723 Offline
i live. i laugh. i love.
I've been here a while
********
 
savealife723's Avatar
 
Age: 24
Gender: girly girl (:
Location: LaLaLand.

Posts: 1,787
Join Date: April 21st 2009

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 29th 2011, 11:19 PM

Wow, that's... Wow.


That's so awesome.


When you can't find your way home,
and when life gets too hard to face on your own.
I will stand as a light through the darkness unknown,
I will walk with you, so you're never alone.
   
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 30th 2011, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
When does something have to be rational to be a demonstration of compassion?
Emotion isn't completely rational, you're right on that. However, she m

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
On the other points, having had experience of suicidality herself I would imagine she could work out he was more likely to harm himself with the knife than anyone else - in such circumstances, people who wield weapons do so as a deterrent to aid them rather than to actually cause harm to others. There is certainly nothing in the behaviour to suggest any other kind of psychiatric condition, particularly in the comments he gave which chime with suicidality triggered by depression.
I agree, the weapon was to deter others to aid him, however, the mere fact he has a weapon and was not mentally stable at the time does open to possibility of him using the weapon to harm her. Perhaps he would have, perhaps he wouldn't have, she had no clue. She could empathize with him in terms of suicidal terms but not with wielding the knife as a weapon to cause possible harm. The comments he gave do coincide with depression but it would be false to say it means he may only have depression. For example, the article paraphrases his step-mother treated him poorly, which opens the door to numerous psychiatric disorders.

However, I feel you're acting in hindsight. We now know the boy didn't and wouldn't gut her but at the time, we didn't know that. He must have given enough threats to the police so they wouldn't try to move in to save him as they were afraid he'd stab them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
I disagree strongly with the claim that it glamourises suicide - that to me seems utterly wide of the mark - and while I agree that it overlooks his own plight (as acknowledged in my first post) it is merest speculation to suggest there was something she was unaware of that put her in undue harm's way. I am of the view we can credit her with at least enough intelligence to be aware of what she was getting herself into.
She had enough intelligence to understand the self-harm element and want to kill herself but couldn't know if he suffered from other psychiatric or general health conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape_thereal_world View Post
I do not see how it "glamorizes" suicide.
The article emphasizes the girl's actions and suicidal past as a tool she harnessed in a positive way. She delved into her suicidal and self-harming past to basically say, "it's alright, look at me, I wildly cut myself, let's be friends so we can share our emotional baggage". By taking a positive view of suicide being a mechanical device to save lives, it glamorizes the fact suicide does the exact opposite, it ends lives. The article also glamorizes suicide by making it seem selfless when used as a device to help, however, suicide is an extremely selfish act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape_thereal_world View Post
So, I do not see how the article "ignores" his issues, either.
The situation is centered around the boy's suicidal actions but the article de-centers it and focuses on the girl. While I'm sure the boy is getting help for his issues, the article gives short mention of that and instead focuses on how the girl dealt with her issues.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 29
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,540
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 30th 2011, 02:33 PM

If all it takes is a kiss to change your mind, then that just shows how weak the idea of committing suicide really is.
   
5 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough
*********
 
escape_thereal_world's Avatar
 
Name: Kelly
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Charleston, SC

Posts: 3,097
Blog Entries: 98
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Girl Saves Suicidal Boy with a Kiss - August 30th 2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
If all it takes is a kiss to change your mind, then that just shows how weak the idea of committing suicide really is.
Well, suicide is generally committed because it is a last resort. Sometimes the smallest kind action keeps people from doing it. It's not a "weak" idea. It's one many people would do if we didn't have some kind people in the world.

So, yes and no.
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
boy, girl, kiss, saves, suicidal

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.