TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Name: Jess

Boxing bad for youth? What do you think? - August 31st 2011, 03:59 AM

so the Canadian Pediatric society is saying that boxing is not the right sport for youth as it is too dangerous and violent and causes too many concussions. One of the guys who owned the gym my mma club used to be in posted this on facebook outraged by what the article said. I myself am angered by it there are soo many sports where concussions are an issue amoung other injuries. Boxing doesn't teach violence it is a sport of technique and tactic not "hit the other guy and take him out" boxing DOES save kids I think it is an excellent output for aggression. myself and many of the other athletes at my gym used to get into fights before training and since joining boxing/jiu jitsu/ or kickboxing they all said the same thing "i haven't beat anyone up outside the gym since." but here is the article for those of you intrested i would like to hear your thoughts and comments.

http://www.cps.ca/english/Media/News...011/Boxing.htm

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
PM me if you need to talk about ANYTHING.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Boxing bad for youth? What do you think? - August 31st 2011, 06:58 AM

That's utter nonsense as there are many other martial arts that involve violence and can lead to concussions. The article ignores the intended purposes of martial arts because you don't train to fight, you train to not fight in real-life but if it is required, then you fight. Yes there are risks in martial arts, but that doesn't mean they should be avoided altogether. The article implies hypothetical risks are factual risks that will happen.

I don't know why it singles out only boxing. For example, I practice karate (Goju-Ryu and some Kyukoshin), judo and self-defense. Kyukoshin karate is full-contact, bare-knuckle and you are rewarded for hurting the opponent on a point-based system. With that said, immense technique is involved as it's not wild swinging. Punches to the head are NOT allowed, only knees or kicks, which may sound even worse but you have to remember kyukoshin sparring usually ends up being close-contact so there's no opportunity for kicks/knees to the head.

However, if you look at other martial arts that always use padding, even in tournaments, such as modern taekwondoe, there are many head kicks and a kick is likely going to be more powerful than a punch. Why are they not targeted by the article?

I do find the article amusing as it trips over its own feet. It advocates to discontinue boxing ONLY but doesn't state any other martial art, implying other martial arts aren't as dangerous. However, even if the article attempts to say ALL martial arts are dangerous, that means tai chi is too dangerous for adolescents and kids, however, you're more likely to get hurt in basketball than tai chi.

The article fails to acknowledge there's more to martial arts than simply violence. You don't try to pound the shit out of your opponent until they're down and out, you're meant to always be respectful. Even martial arts such as krav maga where "anything is allowed", you're still meant to be respectful and acknowledge the danger of the techniques. You aren't meant to pound the living hell out of your training partner.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: Boxing bad for youth? What do you think? - August 31st 2011, 08:16 AM

Can it be bad? Sure, for some. Not all youth are negatively affected by boxing.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Re: Boxing bad for youth? What do you think? - August 31st 2011, 05:20 PM

It's infuriating! It's up to the parents to know what is best for their child or not and it's the child's choice if they chose that sport (of course provided the parent's are okay with it). The individual should KNOW what they are signing up for and NO ONE twists their arm to do it. It's tactic and technical not (as an above poster said "beat the living shit out of your oponent") also it makes more sense to train/fight at a gym with coaches and peers where we learn respect, dicipline, commitment and other such values that are good to learn from an early age that many other sports don't teach. More often than not football or even soccer are influenced by negative thinking far more so than boxing or other martial arts. It is safer to train and fight in a controlled enviroment where paramedics are needed IF necessary, rather than on the streets, schoolyard or basement where people could get shanked or shot let alone getting concussions. Boxing saves kids it gives them a postivie outlet for aggresion and teacher self control/dicipline (sorry if this is redundant) as well as better decision making. In my gym, as students we are often taught "think and follow through."

It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Boxing bad for youth? What do you think? - August 31st 2011, 05:32 PM

Am I the only one who sees no problem with youths sustaining injuries while willingly taking part in martial arts, sports or boxing?
I don't even care if they get a concussion, that's not a reason to stop them doing it, it just means they have a concussion.

Mother-f'n-nanny-state.. Had hoped we were moving away from that douchebaggery.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Re: Boxing bad for youth? What do you think? - August 31st 2011, 05:37 PM

As a youth in kick boxing, I don't care is i get a concussion...I know it is a possibility but I love what I do and still participate as there is danger in everything we do everywhere we go boxing should be the LEAST of our worries. Also at a beginner level (which I hope it's safe to asume is where most young athletes would start) coach's and older students arn't going to hit you as hard as they can we are taught respect and control. We arn't there to beat up little kids in training we are there to develope and grow as athletes together

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Boxing bad for youth? What do you think? - September 1st 2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterCosmonaut View Post
Am I the only one who sees no problem with youths sustaining injuries while willingly taking part in martial arts, sports or boxing?
Since most of the responses in this thread are in agreement, you're not the only one, unless you were being sarcastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazonQueen
Also at a beginner level (which I hope it's safe to asume is where most young athletes would start) coach's and older students arn't going to hit you as hard as they can we are taught respect and control.
Agreed. For our dojo, no matter how much they want, beginners are not allowed to do any sparring until they learn some basic moves and sparring strategies. When they spar someone better, the person doesn't go all out and try their best to beat them up. Instead, it's encouraged to spar at the same level or slightly above from your opponent to give them a challenge. Last day I was sparring a beginner and I let him get a lot of hits on me but I didn't stand still like a human punching bag, I did block, dodge and strike back but not going as fast or hard as I can. It's no point for me to beat the hell out of him and he gains nothing from it either. After a while, other high-ranked belts showed him some strategies he could use against me and I let him use them, even encourage him.

While I don't care about getting a concussion (had a few already), I don't stick my head out saying, "knee me in the head" or intentionally hit the beginner as hard as I can to injure him. I'm not thrilled about getting a concussion but if it happens, it happens.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Boxing bad for youth? What do you think? - September 1st 2011, 07:11 AM

I agree, there are plenty of sports that cause injuries, but at least in boxing you learn something you can apply outside of the sport if need be. I am a 1st Dan in Taekwondo, and although I may not be the patron saint of peace , I think it taught me important skills, and shaped my personality.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#9 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Re: Boxing bad for youth? What do you think? - September 1st 2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
I agree, there are plenty of sports that cause injuries, but at least in boxing you learn something you can apply outside of the sport if need be.
Where I go if you use your knowledge/skill outside the gym you don't get to come back UNLESS for self defense which i guess is the "need be" part. Martial arts also teach one to make better choices as well. When or when not to fight.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Boxing bad for youth? What do you think? - September 1st 2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazonQueen View Post

Where I go if you use your knowledge/skill outside the gym you don't get to come back UNLESS for self defense which i guess is the "need be" part. Martial arts also teach one to make better choices as well. When or when not to fight.
Well yes, martial arts wasn't made to be for offensive reasons, it was designed to protect oneself if need be. I don't think it would be viewed well to be found fighting for the fun of it.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#11 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Boxing bad for youth? What do you think? - September 1st 2011, 10:08 AM

I see nothing wrong with it. If the kids want to do it and their parents let them, then whatever it's their choice.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#12 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Re: Boxing bad for youth? What do you think? - September 1st 2011, 10:23 AM

This is seriously laughable. Are they serious? This pediatric society were probably kids brought up without much authority and they're over compensating.

Because in the end, it doesn't even matter.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Boxing bad for youth? What do you think? - September 1st 2011, 01:23 PM

Boxing is like any other martial art, All martial arts are dangerous, But that being said boxing CAN and SOMETIMES is more dangerous than say judo or karate.

I don't think is it bad for youth as it helps get out aggression and teaches self defence and can teach discipline as well.

I do karate and have found since starting that the urges to self harm have been easier, Though over the summer it's not been on so I have not been able to go. I have also found that it has helped to build up my confidence a-bit as-well.

Boxing and other martial arts are not bad for youth as long as they taught the rules and are told when to and when not to use it. Yes martial arts can cause injury, But can't all sports ? Horse riding can cause injury, so can tennis, netball, basketball, golf, hockey, swimming can also cause injury. I don't see why they think boxing is bad for youth when the same could be said about any other sport.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Re: Boxing bad for youth? What do you think? - September 1st 2011, 03:50 PM

Ametuer boxing is much different than the professional boxing we see on tv. People think that all boxing is like that all the time, which in my opinion is ignorant. Ametuer boxing is different...fights are stopped sooner, there is almost ALWAYS a paramedic or someone with some sort of medical knowledge near by, it can sometimes be a far safer enviroment and occasionally less corupt. People don't sway fights for promoters in ametuer boxing as far as i know but i will admit I don't know a whole lot about the inside world yet

Closed Thread