TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - August 31st 2011, 11:43 PM

I was just watching something on mental health diagnosis' and researching some mental illnesses.

It got me thinking though. It seems like these days there's a label for everything. Disobedient kids have ODD, hyperactive kids have ADHD etc. and I was just wondering if anyone else thinks that we're just diagnosing for the sake of diagnosing? If we're actually turning normal behaviour into a mental illness just because then there's an excuse for why kids won't pay attention in class or why they're misbehaving.

It feels like whenever something's wrong we just throw drugs at people. I think I read somewhere that the US is the number one for prescription drugs and illnesses like GAD are becoming more and more commonly diagnosed.

What does everyone else think about this?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 1st 2011, 12:46 AM

ODD, ADHD and other mental illnesses are certainly real, but they're also grossly over-diagnosed. That's part of the problem of this country drowning in prescription pills. It's ridiculous.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 1st 2011, 12:52 AM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting their existence but it seems like EVERY disobedient child is being diagnosed with one of these, you know?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 1st 2011, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Cara View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting their existence but it seems like EVERY disobedient child is being diagnosed with one of these, you know?
My 6 year old nephew is a COMPLETE brat. He was brought to the doctor and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and ADHD. I personally think it's false. Kids always act up and he definitely has his moments but I don't think it's right to diagnose a child with bipolar disorder - especially being so young. There should be an age limit on those types of diagnoses.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 1st 2011, 01:18 AM

I always thought there was an age limit for bipolar? I thought in under 16s (18s?) it had to have been present for at least a year or something like that.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 1st 2011, 01:29 AM

I took Sociology II last semester, and the class had a discussion about this and we formed a conclusion: it's all a bunch of bullshit. I pretty much stand by that opinion.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 1st 2011, 02:36 AM

I'm convinced that most of it is an excuse for parents to dope their kids up.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
5 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 1st 2011, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Cara View Post
I always thought there was an age limit for bipolar? I thought in under 16s (18s?) it had to have been present for at least a year or something like that.
Actually I was taught that they didn't diagnose it in kids because the symptoms had to be present for at least 8 years. They've now back tracked on this and are saying that bipolar can and does exist in children, but diagnosing them is still controversial.

As for overdiagnosis I definitely think things are overdiagnosed. I read somewhere that only 3% of kids actually have ADHD, but it's one of the most common diagnoses! Some disorders whether they exist or not can be managed just by parenting better or changing behavior (even mild depression) I'm not saying that things don't exist, but the first resort to 'fixing' a behavior problem shouldn't be to throw pills at people. As a future counselor I won't be able to prescribe or manage drugs for my clients, but they won't be my first recommendation. If someone comes to me and is already taking something though, my goal will not be to get them off of it.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 1st 2011, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe.in.hope View Post

My 6 year old nephew is a COMPLETE brat. He was brought to the doctor and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and ADHD. I personally think it's false. Kids always act up and he definitely has his moments but I don't think it's right to diagnose a child with bipolar disorder - especially being so young. There should be an age limit on those types of diagnoses.
That's outrageous. Bipolar disorder is almost impossible to recognize before age twelve, and I've never known anyone under sixteen who has been diagnosed with it (and no one under eighteen who was diagnosed CORRECTLY).

I think that ADHD is even a stretch at six years old. Younger kids are inattentive and hyper by nature; there's not much to be done about arguing that point. I'm sure some of the kids really are developing ADHD, but a far greater number are just being kids (and a small number may have Antisocial Personality Disorder or a similar condition that won't actually surface in a recognizable state until at least a decade later).

On top of all of this, medicating for mental disorders is a bit of a shot in the dark. I was diagnosed with depression, and while I believe that the diagnosis was accurate, it took four different tries to find the right medication for me. Each of the previous ones had severe adverse effects on me, such as suicidal thoughts and attempts, involuntary shaking and tremors, extremely messed up sleeping patterns and so on. Gauging side effects and effectiveness of a medical becomes increasingly difficult when the patient is younger, especially since most people who are under about twelve to fourteen years old can't describe what they don't understand.

[/rant]

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 1st 2011, 05:19 AM

This is an excellent criticism for the DSM-V, soon to be released in a few years as the draft includes mental disorders that are frankly ridiculous. For example, having an unusual sounding voice that causes some disruption is deemed a mental disorder regardless of why the voice is abnormal. http://www.dsm5.org/ProposedRevision...n.aspx?rid=490

Other disorders, such as ADHD I do believe are over-diagnosed. Almost any kid who is hyper and energetic is deemed to have ADHD by non-medical people, who of course bring the kid to a psychiatrist in hopes of a quick pill for the kid.

An issue is with each new version of the DSM, there are more and more mental disorders added and some are removed. As a result, behaviours that were "normal" may now be "abnormal". Consequently, the overall rate of mental disorders increases, which in my view, transforms "abnormal" into "normal". It seems as though many people seek help in the hope of a single pill to pop with some water, have a rest and be fine. Of course, more and more pills are being made, which to me has another societal effect: if more methods of relief or "cure" are made, then it must imply there are more people ill. It goes round and round.

On a final note, although psychiatry is a medical field, it's very difficult to treat as the origins aren't known, which becomes counter-intuitive when using the "medical model". There are more and better forms of neuroimaging and neuro-measuring, however, they're usually not open for public use as they're expensive, so they're reserved for research or wealthy people. MRIs are the best neuroimaging open to the public and they're very effective, however, it's not easy to determine a diagnosis based on that. In addition to the assessments being a "needle in the hay stack", the medications are often a shot in the dark. While they try to reduce the amount and intensity of side-effects, they're like all medications, they all have an element of being a needle in a haystack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe.in.hope
He was brought to the doctor and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and ADHD. I personally think it's false. Kids always act up and he definitely has his moments but I don't think it's right to diagnose a child with bipolar disorder - especially being so young. There should be an age limit on those types of diagnoses.
Although the DSM doesn't impose an age-limit for bipolar disorder, clinicians are also bound by theory. If someone is diagnosed with bipolar at age 6, it has to be so incredibly severe they probably couldn't function. I haven't heard of a kid diagnosed with that at age 6, it's incredibly unlikely so I'm calling bullshit on it.

Although the DSM-V isn't planning to use an age-limit for bipolar disorder, they are planning to use scales to judge severity, one of which accounts for time called the CGI-BP:
http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/Mood%2...0al%201997.pdf (NOTE: PDF, FULL ARTICLE)

There isn't any actual age limit for bipolar disorder written in the DSM simply because doctors rarely ever diagnose people at such a young age. Bipolar disorder isn't considered a developmental disorder in any way (Freudian psychology may but I put very little value in it). I think you should take the kid to a different doctor because the current one seems to not know the difference between an arse and a hole in the ground.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 1st 2011, 06:41 AM

Yes it's gone too far and some people are using it as an excuse to get away with bad behavior. =/

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 1st 2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
Agreed, I knew someone who was "ADHD", and sure, she was a bit loud, and didn't always know when other people didn't want to hear her speak, but ADHD? That's bull. I think there's a difference between ADHD and either a brat, or someone who doesn't know how to shut up.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 1st 2011, 07:23 AM

My niece is 5 and she was just recently diagnosed with ADHD. We all saw the symptoms and now she takes medication and she is calmer and pays more attention in her classes. So, from my view, ADHD isn't over diagnosed. If it's helping the kid, ya know.

But I see where you are coming from. It does seem like everyone has a mental illness, and maybe that is normal. Maybe it is normal to act the way we do because it makes us who we are. Maybe, by us all being on meds, they are making us all the same and bland.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 1st 2011, 07:25 AM

This about describes what that medicine does to children who still have this thing called an imagination, which seems to be considered "dangerous" when we have a safe TV to watch....

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 1st 2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
But then it IS the doctors who are doing the diagnosing. Parents can take their kids to any doctor to try and dope them up, but they can't get the drugs if the doctor doesn't prescribe. So I dunno, not really the parents fault...

(#16 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 1st 2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briana View Post

But I see where you are coming from. It does seem like everyone has a mental illness, and maybe that is normal. Maybe it is normal to act the way we do because it makes us who we are. Maybe, by us all being on meds, they are making us all the same and bland.
Probably because there IS a mental illness for almost everything! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...he_DSM_and_ICD LOL

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 1st 2011, 09:40 AM

Its the excuse isn't it? If your child is acting up, really misbehaving, you can just say "oh he has ADD", as if its nothing. Why can't the child just be naughty? No parent wants to admit that their child is extremely naughty for no reason. People look at you and think 'bad parent'.

Depression and anxiety are also too common. My mum went to the drs once to get signed off work as her boss was being an idiot and he was making her redundant. The dr then said she had depression and prescribed her citalopram. She never touched them, she knew she wasn't depressed. She just needed a weeks break!
Giving people pills is easier though. Drs think that it's easier for them as they don't need to do a whole referral to mental health teams, but just fill out a prescription.

It kinda seems to be a 'trend' at the moment to have a mental illness. Its horrible, people like me who have a genuine diagnosed illness just get pushed aside. "oh, you have bpd and psychosis?, i've got loads of friends like that".

Grr.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 1st 2011, 10:06 AM

It seems to be Oh I had to get out of bed this morning (any stupid excuse these days) I need a psychologist, Oh my kid has tantrums he has ADHD, Oh I'm feeling a bit down this week I must have depression, Oh I was happy but now I don't feel so happy so I must be bipolar. It's like really, in most cases people just need to toughen up. Most things are normal feelings and behaviours though they may not be the best ones, and can be easily sorted though without medication and the whole drama that the words mental illness include.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

Last edited by MegaMadness; September 1st 2011 at 10:26 AM.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 1st 2011, 10:58 AM

I think it's really stupid. Everyone is just stereotyping the other. And what was that about how we shouldn't be judgemental? That's exactly what they're promoting when they streotype. It's outrageous.
Kids are supposed to be kids. They will be hyperactive, they will not listen to what it being said, That's just how they are. Some are just a little bit more than the others. That doesn't make them ADD/ADHD children.
In fact, only when there's a lag in mental development should anyone be worried. As long as they are learning new things are able to grasp things, mentally, even if it a teeny bit slow, they will turn out fine.
Sometimes, just stop taking your child to a doctor just because the teacher says he/she is disruptive or isn't doing well in a subject. That's just because they are unable to understand.
People are taking the mental disorders thing to a whole new level, where everybody for being who they are has some problem of the other. So many "problems" are just part of life, and that's just how it is.
I'm not denying that some people do have acute mental disorders. Like I mentioned, if there is a serious lag or mental ability, then it really means something. Of course, when people get into bouts of depression, it is normal. we all have to go through it. But if no one helps that person out of depression, that's when the problems really happen.
I think on many levels, they are over hyping all this about mental disorders.

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 1st 2011, 11:39 AM

I think in some ways it has gone to far, I have ADHD and was not just labelled as a kid with ADHD due to my hyperactivity, there are other reasons to. Mainly an inability concentrate and multi-task do also define ADHD as well.

I've found where I work (pre school) most of the time the parents will just brush it off as the kid being a kid, Sometimes though, theres a line, When you have a child who constantly defies boundaries and disobeys and seems completely unable to follow instructions ect. Then a label such as ADD. ADHD or another label may be fitting. But usually I think its kids being kids, or parents having poor discipline. Or as I have found in the pre-school, I work in area where poverty is rife, and most of the families do not have much money ect, some children come into the preschool from backgrounds where the parents are having problems, Recently we had one child who's dad is an alcoholic and constantly lets the child down, like says he will see the child then does not, so the child's behaviour varies day to day depending on what has happened outside the pre-school at home.

It depends, Some people may look at the child and say yes they have this , this and this, Where as others who know the child and the child's history may actually find that there is more rational answer for the childs behaviour other than labelling the child with ADHD or some other disorder.

Then again some children do misbehave ect and seem to have no concept of right or wrong and that when a Dr or someone should see the child and decide if it is just poor discipline at home or if there is more to it than just poor discipline.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 1st 2011, 01:31 PM

My cousin is 12. He has ADHD... he is on medication and is exactly the same as he used to be... if not worse. He threatens people, plays up in front of people, and then my aunt and uncle use his ADHD as an excuse...

I think he is just generally bad behaved.

However I also have another cousin who is only 4. He can't sit still and it rocking back on forward all the time, mumbling to himself... not the normal behavior of a 4 year old I'd say. He also can't feed himself. We think he has a severe version of ADHD, yet the doctor refused to diagnose him at such a young age...

I think that it should be looked into properly, and monitored over a certain period of time before a diagnosis is made. The government also gives money to families caring for children with illnesses like ADHD, I agree with that, but there will probably be a whole lot of kids on medication which isn't necessary and receiving money which they aren't entitled to.

I also think depression is over diagnosed these days. But hey-ho.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 1st 2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
I haven't heard of a kid diagnosed with that at age 6, it's incredibly unlikely so I'm calling bullshit on it.
Hey, I was just telling you what I was told. I said it was completely stupid to diagnose a 6 year old with bipolar but I'm not a doctor and I don't know exactly why they chose that diagnosis. I was just telling the OP what my opininon about it was. That doctors are throwing around mental illnesses just to have a diagnosis.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 1st 2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluminate View Post
My cousin is 12. He has ADHD... he is on medication and is exactly the same as he used to be... if not worse. He threatens people, plays up in front of people, and then my aunt and uncle use his ADHD as an excuse...

I think he is just generally bad behaved.

However I also have another cousin who is only 4. He can't sit still and it rocking back on forward all the time, mumbling to himself... not the normal behavior of a 4 year old I'd say. He also can't feed himself. We think he has a severe version of ADHD, yet the doctor refused to diagnose him at such a young age...

I think that it should be looked into properly, and monitored over a certain period of time before a diagnosis is made. The government also gives money to families caring for children with illnesses like ADHD, I agree with that, but there will probably be a whole lot of kids on medication which isn't necessary and receiving money which they aren't entitled to.

I also think depression is over diagnosed these days. But hey-ho.
That is odd how your Dr refuses to diagnose your 4 year old cousin, I was diagnosed at the age of four with ADHD.

Videos team

Last edited by WhisperingSilence; September 1st 2011 at 03:23 PM.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 1st 2011, 04:39 PM

I'm fairly sure I have depression and have for at least 10 years. I'm sick of hiding it, but I don't want to tell my doctor simply because I don't want pills thrown at me. I can manage it better now so I don't want to take something if I don't really need it. Again, there are people with legit disorders, but overdiagnosis leads to people not taking them as seriously which causes all kinds of problems.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 2nd 2011, 06:31 AM

Honestly, I don't think ADD and ADHD are real. Somehow, my friend who can't concentrate in class, gets diagnosed with ADD, but he can sit and play video games for 3+ hours straight. Even though he repeatedly told his teacher he was having trouble in class. It's either ignorant parents or ignorant doctors looking for an excuse to medicate a child because they aren't behaving.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 2nd 2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briana View Post
My niece is 5 and she was just recently diagnosed with ADHD. We all saw the symptoms and now she takes medication and she is calmer and pays more attention in her classes. So, from my view, ADHD isn't over diagnosed. If it's helping the kid, ya know.
There's no denying that some kids really do have ADHD. But I think age five is too young to make a determination. There are so many different variables and circumstances that can make it extremely difficult to calm someone down.

Part of the problem is that parents just want a quick fix to make their kids be (for lack of a better term) less like kids. But also, many doctors work for clinics or organizations that have relationships with pharmaceutical companies (especially in the United States), so giving a prescription is helpful to both the doctor and the company, even if it doesn't do anything for the kid's condition, the kid has no condition, or it worsens their current condition.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

(#27 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 2nd 2011, 04:24 PM

ADHD is *ridiculously* overdiagnosed. If the kid is hyper and can't sit still "OMG he must be ADHD!"

No, he's a fucking kid. Kids are hyper. You cannot be diagnosed with ADHD at the age of four or five, because there's no way to separate normal behaviour from ADHD-related behaviour.

I know a bunch of people who say they're ADHD when they're absolutely obviously not because there's a guy in my year who has serious ADHD and it's actually apparent in his behaviour, his social understandings etc. They're just attention whores looking for sympathy.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 2nd 2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterCosmonaut View Post
ADHD is *ridiculously* overdiagnosed. If the kid is hyper and can't sit still "OMG he must be ADHD!"

No, he's a fucking kid. Kids are hyper. You cannot be diagnosed with ADHD at the age of four or five, because there's no way to separate normal behaviour from ADHD-related behaviour.

I know a bunch of people who say they're ADHD when they're absolutely obviously not because there's a guy in my year who has serious ADHD and it's actually apparent in his behaviour, his social understandings etc. They're just attention whores looking for sympathy.
I was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 4 as I would sit in the classroom making monkey noises at inappropriate times, I was the sort of child that the teacher had to watch every second, I was very defiant, and would often be sent home at lunchtime simply because the teacher could not cope with me. Also my childminder thought I may have ADHD as-well. Though I was not given medication till the age of 6. Diagnosed age 4 no medication till the age of 6.

You can diagnosed age 4, there is a difference between a child who is hyper and a child who can never sit still, there is a difference, say you have a 5 year old you should be able to concentrate for at least 5 minuets but can only concentrate for 1 minuet, Are you really telling me that you would not be maybe a tiny bit concerned about the child's development ? Because let me tell you something I most certainly would be and would almost certainly be question if the child has some sort of developmental problem.

Videos team

(#29 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 2nd 2011, 06:17 PM

I think that while there is obviously a danger of over-diagnosis and in effect "medicalising" traits which aren't themselves mental illnesses, at the same time there is also the danger of not diagnosing actual mental illnesses properly when they arise. A lot of doctors do genuinely struggle with spotting and diagnosing mental illness, partly because it's not that big a part of their general training (being, as it is, a specialism) and partly because not only do a lot of disorders crossover in terms of symptoms but also the diagnostic criteria are not always the best (as The Man And XX Master points out with the DSM, but it's by no means alone in that regard). As such, you get both over-diagnosis and under-diagnosis, both of which are harmful for obvious reasons. In particular responding to mental illness solely through medication can be both harmful and highly counterproductive - while there is a physiological cause, in a number of cases it's because of things the medication alone can't resolve and is solely managing the problem, not solving it. As such, I wouldn't say that mental health is necessarily "going too far", but that there is considerable room for improvement in how it is being utilised. There have been significant steps forward compared with how it once was, but there's still a long way to go in my opinion.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#30 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 2nd 2011, 08:08 PM

My grandma died and I've been sad for a few days. Time to get hyped up on medication for my severe manic depression.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 3rd 2011, 12:18 AM

People have been going overboard these days. Of course, there are people who do actually have these conditions, but a lot of the time I'm sure that the people don't really have the condition, or don't need the medications for it.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 3rd 2011, 04:44 AM

ADHD is mostly certainly overdiagnosed. It's really because the guidelines for diagnosis are so ambiguous and limited that psychologists and psychiatrists are all like: "NO, WE CAN'T TAKE THE CHANCE!! "
For the most part, the diagnosis of mental illnesses and other associated mental health issues are usually appropriately diagnosed. Depression, for example, may experience some overdiagnosis in the patients that actually seek help, but there are so many undiagnosed cases that professionals can't really be taking chances, especially with suicide rates the way they are now. That said, depression isn't generally a misdiagnosis, and is typically genuine.

One million miles away...

(#33 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 12th 2011, 04:59 AM

I know this is mostly talking about ADHD, but ADD often goes untreated in girls and adults. Girls don't have the hyperactivity part often and their symptoms don't become obvious until later grades. Girls can also hide it. It wasn't very commonly known when adults were children. I looked stuff up about it.

My parents and teachers in the past have suspected I have ADHD or ADD. I don't behave poorly, I just fidget excessively. I fail to complete work and turn things in, but I'm not doing it on purpose. There are times I really want to focus and try too, but I can't. You guys need to hear the song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K-m-jLjmtQ

Last edited by vrgtfvgt4vg; September 12th 2011 at 05:19 AM.

(#34 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Muse

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 12th 2011, 09:57 AM

i agree that too many people are being diagnosed with things. i think its about time everyone took a step back and had a reality check, rather than getting so wrapped up in symptoms and drugs. some people need the help, and get overlooked due to there being so many others who dont and are just wasting time.

"Friends are like stars; you don't always see them but you know they are always there"

"It gives me hope. I love you so much. You give me a reason to breathe. Its something for me to not kill myself for" >>> means so much :')

Paramore! <3
Pm me anytime, I like to help!
  Send a message via MSN to Nomophobia  
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 12th 2011, 11:04 AM

I agree, it seems like doctors are too lazy to explain to parents "Look, your kid is NORMAL. This is what kids DO." so they just throw a diagnosis at them, pass some pills over, and move on with their day. And I've seen a lot of people in the past who really do have a problem, even I can see that there really is something not right with them and I'm not trained, yet they're being told that they're fine and being sent off. People need to grow a backbone and realise when there actually is and is not a problem that needs addressed so that others who actually do need help aren't falling through the cracks so much.
Example, I live in a small community. The nearest doctors is 5 minutes drive away and in that same town is where they have psychiatrists, CPNs, counsellors, etc. In another town just 10 minutes away, they have the same thing. And in the next town up, again, the same. Yet I've been told I need to wait 8 months to see a counsellor because despite the fact there are about 10 of them, at least, in the town nearest me, they're fully booked.
I'm wondering how many of the people going to see them are going because they got sad and their doctor has gone "YOU NEED A COUNSELLOR" and how many actually do need to talk to someone and work out their problems.

/rant

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#36 (permalink)) Old
Formerly Puppy-Sized Elephant
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Elsa

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 13th 2011, 04:24 AM

I also hate that people are throwing mental illness terms around. For instance someone saying, "oh yeah, I had and OCD moment" or "I'm feeling depressed today." Those are mental disorders! You can't only have them for a day!!! I still haven't told anyone I think I'm depressed, and I'm afraid if I did, they would take me seriously.....

(#37 (permalink)) Old
BECCALICIOUS! Offline
take me as you found me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 14th 2011, 12:31 PM

I think the overdiagnosis and over-prescription of meds is ridiculous. I was suspected of having a mental illness when I was 12 and I was diagnosed when I was fifteen and wasn't given meds until then.

I think it needs to be taken in steps. Especially with kids, I'd understand the idea of therapy/CBT/DBT to teach life skills/ways to handle things. That can be very effective.

when you love and laugh abundantly you live a beautiful life.

(#38 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Is Mental Health Going Too Far? - September 14th 2011, 03:08 PM

Obviously medical diagnoses are motivated more by profit than by concern for people. Abnormal psychology (and corresponding psychiatry) is pseudo-science because diagnoses are determined by a bunch of 'professionals' who get together and vote (for the DSM) what constitutes a disorder. They can make anything a disorder. They even used to have homosexuality be a disorder, which shows that their diagnoses are based more on convention than actual, testable, medical fact (like real doctors use). It does not help that drug companies lobby them. It benefits drug companies to have new disorders created because they then can sell drugs for those supposed disorders.

The sad thing is that there are people suffering from things like bipolar who do need help, but this system makes it harder to help those people because the first response to everything is to give them strong anti-depressants, anti-anxiety, and adhd meds. On the other hand, some people are just having a hard time in a way that is not actually abnormal; many (but not all) of the kids diagnoses with ADHD are a good example. Maybe it is normal for kids to want to move around, be loud, and not sit still and study and be quiet all the time?

So I think it is unethical.

This chart shows rates of adhd in children. As you can see, ADHD is not so bad in the western half of the country, but once you hit the midwest you start to have problems, and then once you get to the eastern half, people have completely lost it. Especially in the south- lots of adhd meds for kids in the south.

Closed Thread