TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 20th 2009, 10:39 PM

Obama’s Special Olympics comment last night on Jay Leno made headlines today. But honestly I do not think he is getting the same treatment that past presidents would have gotten. Past presidents would have been ridiculed to no end for this hurtful statement Obama made. Why do you think that we are just looking the other way with him? Is it because people had so much faith in him to be the end all for our problems? Is it because he is the “cool” guy? I would honestly like to know why you think about what he said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=7129997&page=1

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#2 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 20th 2009, 10:43 PM

He's human. Humans make mistakes and say the wrong things. It happens. =/

But you're right, I mean, if that was Bush, you'd never hear the end of it. People will probably forget about this soon.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 20th 2009, 10:44 PM

Because he is well liked among most Americans+World.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 20th 2009, 10:45 PM

George Bush didn't say it, so nobody cares, I guess. If it would have been George Bush or Sarah Palin, it would be headline material and people would be making a huge deal out of it. Soon enough, everyone is going to realize that Barack Obama isn't the "Messiah".

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 20th 2009, 10:47 PM

Because Obama is a (demi)-God and is ranked higher than the Christian God in the European media ergo he can do nothing wrong

Last edited by Hyper Sonic; March 20th 2009 at 10:47 PM. Reason: clarifying my point

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 20th 2009, 10:50 PM

Honestly, this completely reinsures my idea that Obama is a complete and utter bonehead.
This past Wednesday, I worked with kids in the Special Olympics swimming competition. For the past several weeks, I had been working with the kids getting them to improve from week to week.
After watching them, and hearing the comment that Obama made, it literally just lights a fire under my ass. I was PISSED beyond belief.

And you're absolutely right. If Bush had said it, he wouldn't be able to live it down. I don't understand how people are saying, "It was just a mistake," now. What makes him different from Bush or any other president that would have gotten ridiculed?

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 20th 2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Emily~ View Post
What makes him different from Bush or any other president that would have gotten ridiculed?
Because Bush had form when it came to slipping up verbally. It became a running joke. With Obama? Not yet.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 20th 2009, 10:51 PM

I think people might have this whole ''If we say bad things about Obama, then we're being racist'' thing going on.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 20th 2009, 11:26 PM

I agree that if Bush or someone else would have said this, a huge deal would have been made over it. It is a big deal though, I'm offended by it.

--A

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 20th 2009, 11:26 PM

I would be offended by anyone who made such an ignorant statement. I'm glad he apologized but I still can't understand why he ever considered saying it in the first place...

The sad thing is, someone else most likely had to aid him in apologizing, most likely. By that I mean one of his assistants/aids probably had to point out to him that the statement was going to upset people.

Yeah, he may have been making fun of himself in the process, but he made fun of those with special needs as well.

Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Nirerin Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Erin

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 20th 2009, 11:38 PM

A rather stupid comment to make....

"We are defined by opportunities. Even the ones we miss."
-- Benjamin Button.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 20th 2009, 11:40 PM

I think it's because it's the sort of comment that regular people make rather than an incoherent made up word (Bush's speciality).

(#13 (permalink)) Old
primus diddy Offline
Average Joe

Name: Mike

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 21st 2009, 01:08 AM

I don't really care. Sure it was a bad political move, but we all need to lighten up some. If Bush as said it I don't think I'd care any more than I do now. He was having a candid conversation, people slip up. How many times have you guys said things in YOUR conversations that caused you to put your foot in your mouth? Expect no less of the president. When it's scripted it's a different story, as with Bush and his speeches. I think he's doing a pretty good job at running our country.

Considering the other stuff in the video accompanying the article, give me a break. It was a fantastic idea for him to go on the Jay Leno show. Jay Leno gets more viewers late at night than the Fox News and CNN cable news networks do during prime time. That is as of 2006. That was the only year I could match up with all three. That gives an entirely different audience and probably more entertaining medium. And so what if he makes predictions for basketball championships? People do that every day, but it's somehow bad if the president does it? People seem to think that it's reasonable to expect him to only think about problems with America that need fixing. If he did that he'd go absolutely nuts. He can't be blamed for AIG's idiocy either. That's just silly. That severance pay was in contracts before they got the stimulus packages, or at least I would think they were. Otherwise AIG wouldn't really have any grounds to say that they were legally obligated to pay that money out.

Just because he's not a demigod doesn't mean it's appropriate to point out every mistake he makes and yell "ZOMG LOOK HE'S NOT THAT GREAT!" But that's just my .02

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ton...y_Leno#Ratings
http://www.stateofthenewsmedia.org/2...?cat=3&media=6

Searching my heart for its true sorrow,
This is the thing I find it to be:
That I am weary of words and people,
Sick of the city, wanting the sea;

Wanting the sticky, salty sweetness
Of the strong wind and shattered spray;
Wanting the loud sound and the soft sound
Of the big surf that breaks all day.

-Exiled, Edna St. Vincent Millay

(#14 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 21st 2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph View Post
The sad thing is, someone else most likely had to aid him in apologizing, most likely. By that I mean one of his assistants/aids probably had to point out to him that the statement was going to upset people.
I've said things before which I then immediately regretted. Obama is a smart man and something terrible left his mouth. I don't like it and, no, the apology doesn't make it "all better." But I seriously doubt he's proud of himself.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 21st 2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
I've said things before which I then immediately regretted. Obama is a smart man and something terrible left his mouth. I don't like it and, no, the apology doesn't make it "all better." But I seriously doubt he's proud of himself.
I wasn't suggesting he was proud of himself, I was more saying that he may not of realized it being a mistake at all, that kind of thing.

Just given all the insanity that's going on right now, I'm surprised he wasn't more cautious with everything. His every move is under a microscope right now, perhaps a bit unfairly, but still.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 21st 2009, 01:39 AM

I think this is being down played because the majority of this country needs to believe in this man right now. We need to believe we made the right choice and that we are going to get out of this mess we are in.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Mithridates Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 21st 2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
I think this is being down played because the majority of this country needs to believe in this man right now. We need to believe we made the right choice and that we are going to get out of this mess we are in.
Which we aren't by backing someone right or wrong. It's being downplayed because of the democrat-controlled media. Belief isn't going to get us out of this shit, smart policy decisions are what will get us out. Obama is not making smart policy decisions.

Nothing but hypocrisy. If it was Palin or Bush, Democrats would be jumping up and down like blood-thirsty monkeys screaming foul words.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
primus diddy Offline
Average Joe

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 21st 2009, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithridates View Post
Nothing but hypocrisy. If it was Palin or Bush, Democrats would be jumping up and down like blood-thirsty monkeys screaming foul words.
Over what? Nothing all that bad has actually happened. You can't talk about what might happen as if it already is happening. Talk about what might happen and prepare yourself for it. Obviously things are going to get worse before they get better. Trying to reverse our slide into a deeper depression is going to take quite a while.

I don't know why so many people are acting like we should have a late 90's economy by now without one mistake by a brand new administration. Patience.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Mithridates Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 21st 2009, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primus diddy View Post
Over what? Nothing all that bad has actually happened. You can't talk about what might happen as if it already is happening. Talk about what might happen and prepare yourself for it. Obviously things are going to get worse before they get better. Trying to reverse our slide into a deeper depression is going to take quite a while.

I don't know why so many people are acting like we should have a late 90's economy by now without one mistake by a brand new administration. Patience.
He's not going to reverse the slide, he's adding melted butter to it!

And your "Late 90's economy" is extremely uneducated. What do you think led us to this?

Off-topic, my apologies.

My point is that everyone would be pissed the fuck off if it was Bush or anyone else but the "Messiah", hallowed by thy name O-B-A-M-A. Amen.

Last edited by Mithridates; March 21st 2009 at 04:03 AM.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 21st 2009, 03:58 AM

Please try to keep this thread on topic. There are different threads for other Obama discussions.
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 21st 2009, 04:15 AM

I think that was an offencive comment. You'd think he'd have more of a filter than that. He need s to think before he speaks because anything that could possibly be twisted will, and anything he says he will be eaten alive for. Maybe not as badly as any other president has been, but all the same he should watch his step.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
primus diddy Offline
Average Joe

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 21st 2009, 04:26 AM

My apologies for not staying on topic.

Personally, I'm all for our president being able to express himself in an informal way like that without getting eaten alive. Do I think it was a joke in poor taste? Yes. Do I really care? No. He's human. I've made more offensive jokes than that in my time.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 21st 2009, 10:58 AM

Frankly, yes its bad, of course it is, but a lot more people have made a lot worse jokes. Just because he's president doesn't mean he has to be perfect, he is still human.
I used to volunteer with young adults who have mental and physical difficulties, some of whom were very interested in sports, and they would have laughed their heads off at this statement. If they don't care... should we? I know not all people would laugh, but really, we all know he wasn't trying to offend anyone.

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 21st 2009, 12:24 PM

i'm suprised i haven't heard about it here in the uk yet. after all, being president of the usa is equivilent to being president of the world. cmaybe they don't want to make too big a deal out of it in case they're accused of being racist? or maybe they're just accepting his apology. although when russel brand and jonathan ross made the 'joke' about andrew sachs granddaughter, that carried o for months. and that was about one person, not lots of people.

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#25 (permalink)) Old
CasiLG Offline
Average Joe

Name: Casi

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 21st 2009, 01:30 PM

I don't think he meant any harm. He was on air with Jay Leno, a comedian. Some of them comedians can get a bit insulting. The two men got to joking around and it got out of hand. I think it would be more insulting if he said "I bowled a 50" or something like that and then said "It was like the Special Olympics." That would really show that he thinks they can't do anything. He may be the president of the United States but he is still a human that can say some stupid things. But the point is, he apologized for the comment and I'm sure he will try to watch what he is saying better.

P.M me anytime you need or want to talk to me. God Bless.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
carrotgirl Offline
Banned
Average Joe

Name: Phie

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 21st 2009, 02:11 PM

I was appalled when i first read it. But he is only human and sometimes people do make stupid mistakes.

x

(#27 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 21st 2009, 02:13 PM

Bit of a stupid comment to make, but he's apologised, so on with our lives..

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Olive, always Offline
The Mighty Grape
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Liv

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 21st 2009, 02:38 PM

I don't know if this is offtopic, but it's something that another user said - in that, why are we do sensitive about the disabled thing? A good majority of differently abled adults/adolescents are comfortable in their own skin. Do we really have to take up arms so readily?
If a comment was made bashing a caucasian male, there wouldn't be so much hype.
Maybe our society needs to integrate more differntly abled persons in so there isn't such a freak out.

=P

Last edited by Olive, always; March 21st 2009 at 02:48 PM.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 21st 2009, 05:50 PM

Everyone makes mistakes, sure. Including him. He's only human.

Okay. So now the idea of him being a (demi)God and the Messiah is starting to be broken down. People are starting to see that he's not perfect and he may not be able to do everything he's promised us. I don't think he's the savior of our country - I think his policies are crap (but that's another matter that I won't get into). But now other people are realizing that he may not be quite as perfect as they thought.

But just because he made an apology, it doesn't make what he said right. Millions of people are watching his every move. Little kids idolize him. He's a model because of his position. They hear what he said, and they may start thinking it's okay to say what he did - and what he said really does hurt. He needs to watch what he says because of his position because everyone really is watching his every move.

As I've said before, I'm not willing to forgive him for what he said just because he apologized. I've worked with Special Olympians and they are the absolute best kids. The fact that he had the nerve to say what he did drives me insane, whether he apologized or not.
Someone probably did have to say something to him in order for him to apologize. Maria Shriver, Arnold Schwarzenegger's wife, called him about it because her brother is the national chairman for the Special Olympics. He called her brother from Air Force 1 to apologzie. Why? Because someone called and was pissed. I doubt it would have crossed his mind to apologize without that little, "Oomph."

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#30 (permalink)) Old
TheWhiteTornado Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jack

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 21st 2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_nicola View Post
He's human. Humans make mistakes and say the wrong things. It happens. =/
I agree.
He just had a moment where he decided to joke (though a tasteless one) as a person, not as the president, and forgot to assess the consequences that were bound to follow.

"What do we live for, if not to make life less difficult for each other?"
-George Eliot

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
-Groucho Marx

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin."
-Grace Hansen

(#31 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 21st 2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergg View Post
I don't know if this is offtopic, but it's something that another user said - in that, why are we do sensitive about the disabled thing? A good majority of differently abled adults/adolescents are comfortable in their own skin. Do we really have to take up arms so readily?
If a comment was made bashing a caucasian male, there wouldn't be so much hype.
Maybe our society needs to integrate more differntly abled persons in so there isn't such a freak out.

I don't think it has to do with that though. If I were a person with a disability, I'd still be jumping down his throat.
Work with a child with a disability. Watch their growth on a daily or weekly basis. Watch their smiles when they make improvements. They giggle at the smallest accomplishments because they appreciate every little thing they do. They're absolutely amazing to watch and they truly are models of how we should be living because they appreciate the little things in life SO much.
What Obama said was nothing short of inconsiderate, rude, and hurtful. It shouldn't be taken with a grain of salt.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 21st 2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I don't think it has to do with that though. If I were a person with a disability, I'd still be jumping down his throat.
Work with a child with a disability. Watch their growth on a daily or weekly basis. Watch their smiles when they make improvements. They giggle at the smallest accomplishments because they appreciate every little thing they do. They're absolutely amazing to watch and they truly are models of how we should be living because they appreciate the little things in life SO much.
What Obama said was nothing short of inconsiderate, rude, and hurtful. It shouldn't be taken with a grain of salt.
I have worked with people with disabilities, and as I said earlier, a lot of them would have laughed. Really, the only people who have a right to be upset over this, is them, and they're the ones who should be apologised to, if they feel they want it. But most don't take it in a bad way, at least the people I've met. They make fun of themselves, and they're amazing people because they don't care what others think of them.

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Olive, always Offline
The Mighty Grape
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Liv

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 21st 2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Oh, but it has everything to do with it. That being the group of people to which he's addressing as well as the American public.
What doesn't have anything to do with it are disabled children, to be honest.
What I'm saying should probably be qualified with the fact that I think America is about treating all people equally. If we're going to get upset over this - why not get perturbed when a white, caucasian male is insulted on national television? That's equality across the board. But it doesn't happen. What I'm getting at is that this is more of a problem about normally abled people feeling badly rather than the differently abled population feeling offended.
It's not necessary to make everything puppy dogs and butterflies - I think that these kinds of people develop a way about them that allows them to function within their limitations (or, as could be argued, something that has turned into their strengths).

=P

(#34 (permalink)) Old
Nirerin Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Erin

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 21st 2009, 10:05 PM

To give you a perspective from a disabled person's point of view...

Although I do appreciate every accomplishment I make, because they are magnified, I am not offended.

I did not laugh, because I don't think it's funny, but I am not offended either. Why am I not offended? Because I have a physical disability and not a intellectual one. I don't see why I should personally be offended, because my disability is completely different to people who compete in the Special Olympics. I don't think I really have a right to be offended. If he made a comment about the Paralympics, that would be a different story.

I do make fun of myself all the time though, when I startle for example, or when my spatial perception is completely off and I end up crashing into something. Better to laugh at myself than to cry.

"We are defined by opportunities. Even the ones we miss."
-- Benjamin Button.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 22nd 2009, 03:46 PM

I really don't think this is that big of a deal. There are plenty of comedians that make much worse jokes. It's rare to find a person that doesn't use retarded in their vocabulary. Often times when people that don't think they are funny are around people whose job it is to be funny they get very intimidated and make bad jokes. But as in poor taste as it might have been if it was anyone else it wouldn't even had made the news.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#36 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 22nd 2009, 05:36 PM

Honestly, I didn't care when Bush made a stupid remark and I don't care about Obama as long as it's not a long lasting issue. I am more worried about his actual policies, not if he offends people by making a slightly rude joke.

(#37 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 22nd 2009, 05:55 PM

Honestly, I though it was funny when I hear about it. Not funny because he was unknowingly making fun of special needs kids, but the statement itself funny. Okay yes, that made little sense but anyway. I've actually heard a lot of people being very unkind about this, and not just calling it a mistake.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 22nd 2009, 08:43 PM

What's the big deal? It was a silly joke that, from the sounds of it, wasn't meant to harm. I say just live with it and quit complaining about every bloody thing that happens.

Had another president said it, the same nonsense would have happened; people bitching for an apology because he hurt their precious feelings. It may not have been the brightest thing to say, however, if it doesn't happen on a routine basis, then just let it be and move on. In Obama's case, he's seen as a "god" and probably is getting a bit of special treatment.

These petty, silly things have no need for people to bitch and whine over. It's a comedy show, he made a slightly insensitive joke, who the hell cares? Those jokes happen all the time, he's human, live with it, get over yourselves.

(#39 (permalink)) Old
Khadra Offline
got hitched!! <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathlene

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 23rd 2009, 01:09 AM

The thing is, this wasn't a prepared speech. He made a joke up on the spot. He's human and he made a mistake. It seems pretty obvious to me that he wasn't try to insult people with disabilities. People are making way too much out of this. Nobody can say they haven't went to say something and had it come out wrong.

It's not socialism. It's CIVILIZATION.
- a woman from Denmark (the happiest country on Earth)

Once you choose hope, anything is possible - Christopher Reeves

Drop a pm in my box if you ever need anything. I'll always do my best to help! <3

(#40 (permalink)) Old
Kryptonite Offline
Hmph
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Obama Special Olympics 'joke' hurts - March 23rd 2009, 01:21 AM

I couldn't care less about it, to be honest. I actually laughed when the joke happened, and I didn't think twice about it.

Alex
[Click to PM me.]

"If I go crazy then will you still
call me Superman
If I’m alive and well, will you be
There holding my hand
I’ll keep you by my side
With my superhuman might...
Kryptonite"

<3

Closed Thread