TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Student Obesity Jumps in Schools Near Fast-Food Joints - March 24th 2009, 01:46 AM

Article

Quote:
(Newser) – Students are more likely to be obese when their schools are located within a tenth of a mile of fast-food restaurants, researchers found. In a study of more than a million California ninth-graders over 8 years, they found that the incidence of obesity at schools near the restaurants was 5.2% higher than the state average, the Los Angeles Times reports.
“Fast food offers the most calories per price compared to other restaurants, and that’s combined with a high temptation factor,” said a member of the research team, which concluded that cities worried about kids’ obesity might want to ban fast-food restaurants close to schools. “I know it’s not very good for you, but I eat it because that is the closest place to school,” said one student.
This honestly does not surprise me. It's easy, fast, and close. However, I can't see myself eating that after school everyday. I couldn't afford to, for the first fact of the matter.

--A

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Student Obesity Jumps in Schools Near Fast-Food Joints - March 24th 2009, 02:25 AM

Fast food is addictive.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Angelus50781 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Student Obesity Jumps in Schools Near Fast-Food Joints - March 24th 2009, 02:37 AM

I stopped eating fast food regularly several years ago. Now, on the rare occasions I eat it when out with friends, my body gets pissed at me and I feel like shit for a couple of hours. For the most part, it has no nutritional value and is little more than slow acting poison. In this case the poison is excessive amounts of fat. If a person is very active they won't see as much of a buildup of fat, but it is that combo of high fat low exercise that is doing it.

High schools are definitely not helping with this problem. The school I went to served lunches that were no better than fast food. Nothing but fried meats, potatoes, and cheeses. Soda machines right outside the lunchroom. On top of that, students aren't even encouraged to exercise in gym. The activities they had us do were so lacking in rigor that even when I was heavier I didn't break a sweat.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Student Obesity Jumps in Schools Near Fast-Food Joints - March 24th 2009, 11:41 AM

Duh?

My school is about a mile from the main drag with all of the fast food joints on it. Therefore, anyone who wants food has to drive there and back, which is rather discouraging when they're on GDL or gas is so expensive. Besides, our lunch periods usually aren't long enough to allow for a lot of students to go out and come back in time.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Student Obesity Jumps in Schools Near Fast-Food Joints - March 24th 2009, 11:29 PM

Well no-ones shoving the food in their mouths. Maybe they should just tell the kids to practise a little self-control rather than blaming the fast food restaurants. And i don't buy the whole, "oh its cheaper to eat fast food." No, if you're careful with where you shop and how, then it's not much cheaper at all.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Student Obesity Jumps in Schools Near Fast-Food Joints - March 25th 2009, 12:52 AM

Fast food just links poor people to obesity. Sad

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Student Obesity Jumps in Schools Near Fast-Food Joints - March 25th 2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxEllexx View Post
Well no-ones shoving the food in their mouths. Maybe they should just tell the kids to practise a little self-control rather than blaming the fast food restaurants. And i don't buy the whole, "oh its cheaper to eat fast food." No, if you're careful with where you shop and how, then it's not much cheaper at all.
I agree. Have you noticed how most of the people complaining are parents and schools, I suspect this is because they can't be bothered to teach self-control

(#8 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Student Obesity Jumps in Schools Near Fast-Food Joints - March 25th 2009, 01:05 AM

This really doesn't surprise me. When I was in highschool, I ate fast food after school almost everyday. Now that I'm in uni, and can't afford it, I've lost major weight. It's convenient so people are going to eat it.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: Student Obesity Jumps in Schools Near Fast-Food Joints - March 25th 2009, 01:20 AM

My school definitely doesn't do enough about this. They say they're going to put 'healthy' food in the caf- and they do to a certain extent (very little fruit, some sandwiches)- but most of it is french fries, pizza, fried meat, and greasy noodle junk. There are restaurants close by that students go to as well.
I see nothing wrong with bringing a lunch from home. I prefer choosing what goes into my body.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Pending...Work in progess
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: Student Obesity Jumps in Schools Near Fast-Food Joints - March 25th 2009, 01:48 AM

KFC... *drool* They just had to put a picture of KFC on the article, now I am just craving for KFC food... Too bad they are not open until 2AM like McDonalds is.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
BECCALICIOUS! Offline
take me as you found me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: Student Obesity Jumps in Schools Near Fast-Food Joints - March 25th 2009, 10:57 PM

This makes me have a lot of respect for my school. One, we're located in a suburban neighborhood, so there isn't a fast-food joint within a tenth of a mile. (:

Secondly, the sandwich bar at our school is so popular that you often sit down to eat halfway through the lunch period if you order one. We also have a hot lunch line, which has some sort of main course along with a vegetable or two, as well as a salad bar. Yes, we do have fast foods, but they're priced higher than everything else so kids will make more conscientious eating decisions. There's also labels next to all the foods & prices list telling you what's healthy and what isn't - red for junk, yellow for moderate, green for healthy.

Best of all... there are very few ridiculously overweight kids in my school. The majority of people that I see on a daily basis are slim to average. Which makes me happy, because most overweight people disgust me. (I don't mean to start a controversial debate on here from that last statement and I apologize if I offended anyone who IS overweight.)

when you love and laugh abundantly you live a beautiful life.

Closed Thread