TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
XxMallyPrydexX Offline
Average Joe

Name: Mally

Question PETA vs. Seaworld - November 24th 2011, 03:40 PM

For those of you who don't know, PETA has filed a lawsuit against Seaworld for 'slavery' of the orca whales that perform there. I haven't heard any updates lately on how the lawsuit went/is going... does anybody have any recent updates?

EVERYBODY BE NICE. And stay on topic. The point of this thread is ME asking for information about the PETA vs. Seaworld lawsuit, not ME asking YOU your input about how much you hate PETA. Thanks...

They can have their world
We'll create our own
I may not be brave or strong or smart
But somewhere in my secret heart

I know
Love will find a way
Anywhere I go
I'm home
If you are there beside me

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 763490 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: PETA vs. Seaworld - November 25th 2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMallyPrydexX View Post
... EVERYBODY BE NICE. And stay on topic. The point of this thread is ME asking for information about the PETA vs. Seaworld lawsuit, not ME asking YOU your input about how much you hate PETA. Thanks...
"not ME asking YOU your input about how much you hate PETA"

No responses, lol.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: PETA vs. Seaworld - November 25th 2011, 10:50 PM

I can't say I disagree. I completely disagree with the idea of Zoos, Circuses etc. It's unnatural and disgusting. The animals should be allowed to live free lives, not lives of misery used as cheap tricks for humans to laugh at. It's a commonly known fact that many dolphins attempt to commit suicide because of the way they're treated at places like Seaworld. Beating their heads against walls until they bleed and throwing themselves out of their tanks.

4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
stupidity Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jeremy

Re: PETA vs. Seaworld - November 26th 2011, 02:13 AM

As much as i hate PETA for been what they are,i agree with this,i also agree with what Cosmo said.

Jeremy.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: PETA vs. Seaworld - November 26th 2011, 03:49 AM

I disagree with PETA and I think the trainers are getting back in the water with their whales very soon. First of all those animals are treated extremely well. Also I love how PETA chooses to ignore all of the restoration and rescue work Seaworld does. Let's paint the big bad corporation as nothing more than money lovers who just want to abuse animals for entertainment purposes.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Tessa

Re: PETA vs. Seaworld - November 26th 2011, 05:43 AM

You wanna tell me how keeping one of the most intelligent beautiful animals, who can also weigh more than 12,000 pounds in an aquarium that small isn't cruel? And also how we pluck these animals away from their families usually at very young ages and then plop them in a tank isn't cruel. Orcas live in pods, orcas are group orientated animals and to take them away from their group for entertainment purposes is cruel. Keeping animals like these in pens/zoos/aquariums just for human entertainment is cruel and uneeded, go watch a movie, don't go watch an intelligent animal be reduced to playing with a ball and spitting water out of their mouths at the idiot humans in the audience.

This is exactly why people see these animals ( and other captive animals) turn on their trainers. First of all, they are wild animals, you may be able to take an orca into captivity but it will still always be a wild animal, and if I was being treated like that, I'd snap too.

end animal rant/ for now.

"You're never gonna spread your disease,So take your hands off of me"

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: PETA vs. Seaworld - November 26th 2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissOneBigMess View Post
You wanna tell me how keeping one of the most intelligent beautiful animals, who can also weigh more than 12,000 pounds in an aquarium that small isn't cruel? And also how we pluck these animals away from their families usually at very young ages and then plop them in a tank isn't cruel. Orcas live in pods, orcas are group orientated animals and to take them away from their group for entertainment purposes is cruel. Keeping animals like these in pens/zoos/aquariums just for human entertainment is cruel and uneeded, go watch a movie, don't go watch an intelligent animal be reduced to playing with a ball and spitting water out of their mouths at the idiot humans in the audience.

This is exactly why people see these animals ( and other captive animals) turn on their trainers. First of all, they are wild animals, you may be able to take an orca into captivity but it will still always be a wild animal, and if I was being treated like that, I'd snap too.

end animal rant/ for now.
A lot of these animals are born in captivity in the first place (most of the drive hunt licences in which such animals were captured have been revoked since the early 1990s), so with respect the "plucking them from their pod" argument doesn't quite hold water (if you'll pardon the pun). On the dolphins committing suicide claim made above, I would recommend reading this.

I'm not a fan of keeping wild animals in captivity - like others here, I would prefer them to stay wild - but I think we do ourselves and the animals themselves a disservice if we view places such as zoos and aquariums as purely places of exploitation. Many of the animals which end up in such places have been victims of other human behaviour such as hunting or habitat destruction, and being taken in by zoos and aquariums has been the only thing to stop them being killed. Not all such places are quite so altruistic, admittedly, and there have been numerous well-documented cases of animal cruelty which are completely unacceptable, but as with many topics it's worth taking a holistic view of the situation rather than just picking out the headlines and basing opinions on them. The truth is often far more complex than such sources would have you believe.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread