TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ariel Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Ariel

North Korea readies missile, makes new threat. - March 26th 2009, 03:14 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090326/...tJh1MA8wBZ.3QA

Quote:
North Korea said on Thursday that if the international community punishes it for next month's planned missile launch it will restart a nuclear plant that makes weapons grade plutonium.
The secretive state this week put a long-range missile in place for a launch the United States warned would violate U.N. sanctions imposed on Pyongyang for past weapons tests.
The planned launch, seen by some countries as a disguised military exercise, is the first big test for U.S. President Barack Obama in dealing with the prickly North, whose efforts to build a nuclear arsenal have long plagued ties with Washington.
North Korea warned that any action by the U.N. Security Council to punish it would be a "hostile act."
" ... All the processes for the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula ... will be brought back to what used to be before their start and necessary strong measures will be taken," the North's foreign ministry spokesman said in comments carried by the official KCNA news agency.
North Korea has frozen its aging nuclear reactor and started to take apart its Yongbyon atomic plant under a deal signed by regional powers in 2005 that called for economic aid and better diplomatic standing for the isolated North in return. Despite the agreement, the North carried out a nuclear test in 2006.
The South Korean daily Chosun Ilbo quoted a diplomatic source as saying the North could fire its Taepodong-2 missile, which has the range to hit U.S. territory, by the weekend.
This is earlier than the April 4-8 timeframe Pyongyang announced for what it says is the launch of a satellite.
"Technically a launch is possible within three to four days," the Chosun Ilbo quoted a diplomatic source in Seoul as saying.
South Korea said the launch would be a serious challenge to security in north Asia, which accounts for one sixth of the global economy. Japan urged North Korea to refrain from action that would destabilize the region.
"We strongly urge the North to immediately stop the launch of a long-range missile, which would be a clear violation of the U.N. Security Council resolution 1718," South Korean Defense Ministry spokesman Won Tae-jae told reporters.
ROCKET ON THE PAD
On Wednesday, a U.S. counter-proliferation official told Reuters that North Korea appeared to have positioned the rocket on its launch pad.
Another U.S. official, also speaking on condition of anonymity, said North Korea had placed together two stages of what is expected to be a three-stage rocket.
Once it has been positioned, North Korea will need several days to fuel the rocket which could, in theory, carry a warhead as far as Alaska. The only previous test of the rocket in 2006 ended in failure when it blew apart seconds after lift-off.
South Korea plans to dispatch an advanced destroyer capable of tracking and shooting down missiles to waters off the east coast, Yonhap news agency quoted government sources as saying.
The planned launch and growing tension on the Korean peninsula are beginning to worry financial markets in the South, although so far there has been only minor impact.

"If they really fire something, it would definitely shake the financial markets, but only briefly, as has been the case in many previous cases of provocation and clashes," said Jung Sung-min, a fixed-income analyst at Eugene Futures.
U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, during a visit to Mexico, said the launch would deal a blow to six-party talks to end Pyongyang's nuclear weapons program.
Those talks sputtered to a halt in December over disagreement on how to check the North was disabling its nuclear facilities.
"This provocative action ... will not go unnoticed and there will be consequences," she told reporters, repeating earlier warnings it could put the issue before the U.N. Security Council for additional sanctions.
Pyongyang repeated its threat on Thursday to quit the six-party talks, which also involve South Korea, Russia, Japan, the United States and China, if it was punished.
CHINA TO BLOCK MORE SANCTIONS?
North Korea faces a range of U.N. sanctions and many analysts doubt new ones would get past China -- the nearest Pyongyang has to a powerful ally -- in the Security Council.
China, sticking to its low-key approach, said it hoped all "relevant parties will remain restrained and calm."
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov cautioned the international community against making rash decisions.
"Do not try to make evaluations before events have occurred," he said in Moscow, while noting U.N. Security Council resolutions should be adhered to.
A successful launch would be a huge boost at home to leader Kim Jong-il, whose illness last year -- widely thought to have been a stroke -- has raised questions over his grip on power.
North Korea has given international agencies notice of the rocket's planned trajectory that would take it over Japan, dropping booster stages to its east and west. The U.S. military has said it could with "high probability" intercept any North Korean missile heading for U.S. territory, if ordered to do so. Pyongyang says any attempt to shoot down the rocket would be an act of war.
What does North Korea have to Prove? they are a poor countrie who cant even feed there own people.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: North Korea readies missile, makes new threat. - March 26th 2009, 04:24 PM

Ooh, a modern Cold War.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Cameron
Location: a place surrounded by lakes: it's cold, and poor, and named Detroit

Re: North Korea readies missile, makes new threat. - March 26th 2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel View Post
What does North Korea have to Prove? they are a poor countrie who cant even feed there own people.
North Korea can, they just don't. It's JUST like the USSR. Especially after WWII ended

ENTER SHIKARI! BEST BAND EVER!!
(little thanks to Just.Tegan for showing me these guys)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Pending...Work in progess
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: North Korea readies missile, makes new threat. - March 26th 2009, 10:02 PM

It's just like high school, except with big weapons. Kim Jong Il is a short person and he knows he gets ridiculed by the international media. He's got a lot of prove, his ego. Men with big egos, but with a frail exterior, like North Korean's leader, start wars. Think of Napoleon, he had a lot to prove, because he was a short man and everyone around him, even his own army, would ridicule him. In a world where we all judge by appearances, he's got a lot to prove. It's sad, but true.

Last edited by Work_In_Progress; March 26th 2009 at 10:15 PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: North Korea readies missile, makes new threat. - March 26th 2009, 10:12 PM

Or Kaiser Whilhem II (sp?). Physically handicapped and always wanted to make up for it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Fucking Done Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: North Korea readies missile, makes new threat. - March 26th 2009, 10:24 PM

Lol they're all talk.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: North Korea readies missile, makes new threat. - March 26th 2009, 11:00 PM

They have a small military.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough

Re: North Korea readies missile, makes new threat. - March 26th 2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
The North Koreans? For the size of their nation, they have a huge military. The largest per capita in the world, in fact, and the fourth largest in absolute terms. Of course, most of it is obsolete.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: North Korea readies missile, makes new threat. - March 26th 2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
Who needs a large military if you've got nuclear weapons?

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: North Korea readies missile, makes new threat. - March 27th 2009, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
Who needs a large military if you've got nuclear weapons?
If they can use it properly which will probably back fire killing there own people.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: North Korea readies missile, makes new threat. - March 27th 2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesThisLookInfected? View Post
North Korea can, they just don't. It's JUST like the USSR. Especially after WWII ended
Actually the USSR did many great things to help improve the lifes of the people. Everyone was fed, had medical care, women had more freedom, etc. Granted the USSR killed millions of their own people, but that's not all they did.They did do some good.

As an old teacher told a class of mine, men have never changed.They still like their big toys. To me, and I could be wrong, it seems like North Korea is trying to show off their power, and if they succeed with the missile launch, it will prove, in their minds at least, that they are a formidable foe.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Ariel Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Ariel

Re: North Korea readies missile, makes new threat. - March 27th 2009, 04:01 PM

North Koreas Weapons are outdated compared to Japan or China.

Closed Thread