TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
rizz Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Rhiannon

Exclamation Student suspended for Michael Jackson dance - February 5th 2012, 11:30 AM

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/841...-jackson-dance

do you think the school is right or wrong?

personally if something was approved at rehearsals how can he get in troubled at the show.

it almost seems like kids can't do anything nowadays without getting in trouble

what next....

rizz

Luv those who cannot luv themselves
Giv a hug to a friend
Luv those who luv u bak
Blow a kiss times ten
Luv is everywhere u look
Around every corner

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 809802 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Unknown10 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Student suspended for Michael Jackson dance - February 5th 2012, 02:33 PM

I think the suspension of that kid was really unnecessary. They approved of it, so it's the organisers doing if they thought it was inappropriate at the show. And it was okay for Michael Jackson to dance, so I don't see the point in it not being okay for this kid or any other children to dance. It's a weird, strange world these days.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Student suspended for Michael Jackson dance - February 5th 2012, 06:03 PM

I'm gonna get backlash for this... but when I read "Catholic school"... or "Catholic headmistress" (can't remember which it was)... I wasn't surprised at all that this happened.

Almost any mainstream religion is frequently a source of bullshit like this.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Student suspended for Michael Jackson dance - February 5th 2012, 06:45 PM

If this were a public school, then it would be a different matter.

However, this is a Catholic private school; they have their set of values and rules. Some parents choose to pay huge amount of money for their kids to attend these schools is precisely because of their more "conservative" rules and standards. To stay in business, they need to keep their school's image of a place for "proper" kids.

The kid should probably switch to a public school. I know I would never survive in a Catholic school had I attended one in my K-12 years

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Student suspended for Michael Jackson dance - February 5th 2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digilodger View Post
The kid should probably switch to a public school. I know I would never survive in a Catholic school had I attended one in my K-12 years
Get expelled every time you fart and cough in the toilet. I say that as a joke... but tbh it wouldn't surprise me either.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Re: Student suspended for Michael Jackson dance - February 5th 2012, 11:14 PM

I agree with BDF. The minute I saw "Catholic school" I instantly thought "Well, that explains everything." I'm not trying to say anything bad about catholics or catholic school, but their rules are really freaking strict.

Do I agree with the suspension? No. It was okay in rehearsals, but not okay onstage? And what about the kids dancing in boxers that the article mentioned? Why are they not suspended for dancing in their underwear? It just seems stupid to me.

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Student suspended for Michael Jackson dance - February 6th 2012, 12:45 AM

It sounds like the school approved the dance at rehearsals, but then at the concert, some parents (possibly parents who donate a lot of money to the school) complained and that's why he is in trouble now. I really don't see any other reason why they would suspend him if it really had been approved earlier. If that is the case, then I think it's pathetic that the school would suspend a nine-year-old boy rather than take the blame themselves.

If it wasn't approved, I still fail to see how crotch-grabbing in a Michael Jackson dance is instantly grounds for suspension. Do we not give kids warnings these days? I highly doubt this boy was trying to be offensive, so surely a strict warning would have sufficed?

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Student suspended for Michael Jackson dance - February 6th 2012, 01:00 AM

Having went to a Catholic school for four years, I'm definitely not surprised. Catholic schools, or maybe private schools in general, are extremely strict and often incredibly unfair. I'm pretty sure if this would have happened at a public school it wouldn't have mattered. I agree that it was more than likely parents complaining, at least if the dance had been approved before.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#9 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
GREAT BIG HUG
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Craig

Re: Student suspended for Michael Jackson dance - February 6th 2012, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimmeringFaerie View Post
If it wasn't approved, I still fail to see how crotch-grabbing in a Michael Jackson dance is instantly grounds for suspension. Do we not give kids warnings these days? I highly doubt this boy was trying to be offensive, so surely a strict warning would have sufficed?
You took the words right out of my mouth. [You must be a genius!! ]

The 'gap' that exists between 'adults' and 'children' is ALREADY far too big. FACT IS - that 'gap' shouldn't exist at all. So it really bothers me when an 'adult' [Especially someone who is in direct contact with children] over-reacts to something a child does. [As the principal of that school clearly did - in my opinion] All it does is increases the size of that [generation] gap.

Shame on that principal.

GBH - Craig!!

Be sure to LIKE my LOVE THE BULLY Facebook Page

I am a 53 year old guy living in Victoria B.C. CANADA - I joined TH on January 11th, 2003

I have been a TeenHelp Member for more than 14 YEARS!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Student suspended for Michael Jackson dance - February 6th 2012, 02:54 AM

The fact the child was able to perform twice without getting in trouble implies he was allowed to perform his dance but a few parents with their heads up their arses complained. The principal did "damage control" to ensure those parents would quiet down, which unfortunately meant singling out the child. This of course begs the question why was he suspended indefinitely? Either, the parents squabbled loud enough or whatever rules the Christian school follows were enforced to the max. It's horrible for the child because he'll have a suspension on his academic record that was given not for fighting or harming anyone, rather for a few overly sensitive parents. If I were his parent, I'd pull him out of the school and either try my luck in a non-religious private school or a public school.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Manasvi
Location: A hidden, faaaaar-off world where people love each other and everything is just perfect. :)

Re: Student suspended for Michael Jackson dance - February 8th 2012, 10:06 AM

Well I believe the suspension was not at all necessary, but as people mentioned above, Catholic schools have their own set of so-called "values". So yeah, I am not surprised.
xx

All we can do is Keep Breathing...!

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Squidgy Offline
Average Joe

Re: Student suspended for Michael Jackson dance - February 9th 2012, 01:06 AM

Catholic School. Why are you all so surprised?
  Send a message via MSN to Squidgy Send a message via Skype™ to Squidgy 
Closed Thread