TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
rizz Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Rhiannon

Exclamation court orders facebook apology - February 26th 2012, 07:38 AM

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/842...cebook-apology

personally i'm against this, what happened to free speech...what do you all think

Luv those who cannot luv themselves
Giv a hug to a friend
Luv those who luv u bak
Blow a kiss times ten
Luv is everywhere u look
Around every corner

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DanceCommander Offline
Don't Panic
I can't get enough

Name: Jordan

Re: court orders facebook apology - February 26th 2012, 08:15 AM

Interesting.

Well first and foremost, the guy needs to stop whining and act more responsibly. I get that this is very serious and important stuff, and I respect that, but if he is going to be so immature as to post about it on facebook....I mean, come on. I get irritated with friends posting every detail of their relationship on facebook, including the mushy emo poems when they break up. No way would I want to leave my child with a man who thinks making comments like that on the internet is an appropriate outlet for emotional dysfunction OR that it makes him look responsible.

Also, she is probably scared of her husband for a reason. That article definitely doesn't tell the whole story. So yes, if she is really disturbed by her husband (which I would be, if I were her), she can claim concern for her safety if she has reason to.

As for the protection of the first amendment, we don't know all the details, so I couldn't make an accurate judgment on that without knowing more.

However, I think that a "facebook apology" is as ridiculous as posting it in the first place. Since the threat was made on facebook, you're going to make him APOLOGIZE on facebook? How about just making an example in a standard way? That's just my two cents, anyway.

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to."
"I don't much care where-"
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go."

~The Chesire Cat to Alice~
  Send a message via Yahoo to DanceCommander  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Grey Wind Offline
Average Joe

Re: court orders facebook apology - February 26th 2012, 05:22 PM

Could anything possibly be less sincere than a court ordered apology? Judge should be tarred and feathered. It's not like family courts aren't a complete joke anyways, having nothing to do with actual laws.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: court orders facebook apology - February 26th 2012, 07:59 PM

I don't understand why he has to give an apology, it isn't kindergarten where 1 kid called someone fat causing him to cry and now has to apologize for the comment. I don't understand why he has to write a letter in the first place, whether it be on Facebook or hand-written. It baffles me that he has to show the letter of apology to the court because that opens the possibility the judge or wife may deem it insufficient. Furthermore, the judge indicates a simple apology on Facebook is equivalent to 60 days in jail and a $500 fine, which I cannot for a second begin to understand.

It's very difficult to say whether his comments could be perceived as harmful because the link doesn't provide them. As a result, it's impossible to determine why his wife may have been emotionally or mentally disturbed from the comments. Surely any rational person would see they're out of frustration and chances are she's also frustrated before reading them. I get the feeling she's playing at an angle or some of the comments were that harmful. Without seeing them, it's impossible to support the arguments made by either lawyer.

I certainly think he was immature and isn't taking responsibility because Facebook is in the public domain, others can see his comments. This doesn't seem like something wise to post online if he's in ongoing divorce and child custody disputes. It's fine if he's frustrated but there's no need to document it to the entire world then whine when shit hits the fan.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: court orders facebook apology - February 26th 2012, 10:26 PM

Appeal. There's no way this can be held up by a higher court.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
rizz Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Rhiannon

Re: court orders facebook apology - February 27th 2012, 10:36 AM

so people are clear his message on facebook was...

"If you are an evil, vindictive woman who wants to ruin your husband's life and take your son's father away from him completely - all you need to do is say you're scared of your husband or domestic partner and they'll take him away."

Luv those who cannot luv themselves
Giv a hug to a friend
Luv those who luv u bak
Blow a kiss times ten
Luv is everywhere u look
Around every corner

(#7 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: court orders facebook apology - February 27th 2012, 03:10 PM

I am very withdrawn on facebook and don't use it much, for many reasons. Now I have another reason.

Almost any site which I use regularly enough, I am registered to it with a different name, different alias (although BDF is common in a lot of them), and keep it generally speaking unconnected with sites where I'm registered with my real name.

Even sites where I use my real name, I use a variant of it.

The internet just sucks. There's less privacy than you think. I am thinking about changing the name of my account on TH and the password... I don't even want to take that 5% chance that someone might be onto me here. Not that anything I say here is really harmful to me in any way... I just don't want assholes poking around in what's none of their business.

And if you're one of those assholes reading this I suggest you go f**k yourself. WIth a power drill.

If you've got some spare time, read this:

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f40-s...-d/#post631229

But don't if you're easily triggered. If you're not easily triggered then go ahead.

Closed Thread