TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Citizenship (specifically, British citizenship) - March 6th 2012, 05:40 PM

My mum found this citizenship test and we've both taken it, she got about 15 out of 24, I got 9. I just thought it'd be interesting to post it here and see what people's thoughts on it are.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/m...tizenship-test

I personally think they're pretty weird questions to ask; it was a lot of stuff that, despite having been a British citizen all of my life, I'd no idea about. So if a person already born in the UK can't get 75% or more, why should an immigrant need to, as clearly the knowledge is of little or no practical use once you're living here O.o

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough

Re: Citizenship (specifically, British citizenship) - March 6th 2012, 05:49 PM

Just got 13 out of 24 after a lot of guessing. But I don't think the point of this test is that it's about things that every Briton should know. It's all stuff that could be easily rote-learned out of a revision guide, and so it tests whether or not a potential immigrant is committed to coming to Britain. That's the charitable interpretation, of course. The cynical one is that the government wanted to be seen to be doing something to lower immigration, and a bullshit citizenship test was an easy and cheap way to do that.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Vimtoad Offline
Filling my panties with candy
I can't get enough

Re: Citizenship (specifically, British citizenship) - March 6th 2012, 07:56 PM

Same I got 7/24 . Those questions are odd, I didn't know half of the answers /many of the answers.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Citizenship (specifically, British citizenship) - March 6th 2012, 08:10 PM

25% lol,,,,,,,

If you've got some spare time, read this:

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f40-s...-d/#post631229

But don't if you're easily triggered. If you're not easily triggered then go ahead.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Citizenship (specifically, British citizenship) - March 6th 2012, 08:57 PM

10/24 which is 42%
To be honest if I actually did study before and I'm guessing if you are applying to get citizenship you are given a study guide I could be able to pass it. It was not that bad.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Citizenship (specifically, British citizenship) - March 7th 2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictional View Post
I personally think they're pretty weird questions to ask; it was a lot of stuff that, despite having been a British citizen all of my life, I'd no idea about. So if a person already born in the UK can't get 75% or more, why should an immigrant need to, as clearly the knowledge is of little or no practical use once you're living here O.o
I'm not in Britain but I'm a Vietnamese who had immigrated to the USA. I took the US citizenship about a year and a half ago (we have to live in the USA 5 years before we can take the test). Here in the USA, we call it the "Naturalization" process or citizenship through naturalization.

It's probably make more sense if you think of it like a driver license test. The test itself is meant to test if the person is worthy of the citizenship (i.e. care about the country to go through the trouble of studying and taking the test).

But another reason is that it bring in some extra money. The current price (as of March 7, 2012) for taking ONE naturalization is $595 USDs + $85 USDs for the biometric service fee (fingerprints), totaling about $680 USDs.

$680 USDs is A LOT of money for taking a single test. Huge profit for the fed, no?

They give us a package and a video to study for the test. So it isn't like we have to go in there without any study. Heck, I only spent about 4 days of studying and I passed with perfect score. After passing the test, they also tested on my English skills (just basic speaking, read, and writing skills) and I had to swore on oath of loyalty to the country.

It's more of a (profitable) regulation than anything, really. Besides, this forces us to swear and oath to the USA. And it also forces the young men to signup for the selective service--that is, when the US army needs more soldiers, they would draft us into the army. If I don't sign up for the selective service then they would not let me take the citizenship test.

On the final day when a judge declare our citizenship, we have had a lot of tears in teh courtroom. The citizenship does mean a lot to many people. I don't know why, but it just does.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
3 Years Cut Free!
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Citizenship (specifically, British citizenship) - March 7th 2012, 04:52 PM

Haha I got 6

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Re: Citizenship (specifically, British citizenship) - March 8th 2012, 03:06 AM

I got 14 out of 24, but to be fair I'm Australian and have never been to the Britain.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy

Closed Thread