TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Hard to tell parents - April 22nd 2012, 07:06 AM

Okay so I still don't entirely know for sure, what religion I am but I do know what my beliefs on everything is, and well I find it REALLY hard to tell my parents, especially my aunt. You see my whole family is Christian, nothing more into it, and we really aren't too strict on it, I never went to church regularly, only on Easter sometimes, and I went to Sunday school a few times. But I still find it extremely hard to tell my aunt that I just don't believe the whole Jesus is our Saviour and God created the world stuff. I believe in evolution and science, yeah I believe in miracles and stuff, but not a deity really. I've been able to explain everything else to them, like how I believe out lives our like a tree, and we are only a single portion of a whole soul following a single branch out of many. When we have very life changing experiences, we split into different realities of what if's and we are only living one reality, and we are only part of a whole. If that even makes sense.

TL;DR: Why is it so hard for me to tell my loosely Christian parents that I do not believe in a God or a deity at all?

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Hard to tell parents - April 22nd 2012, 09:36 AM

I'm not sure how necessary it is to tell them. I mean, I guess if it comes up at dinner, it'd be something to bring up. But unless they are forcing you to go to church, there isn't anything wrong with having your own beliefs separate.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: Hard to tell parents - April 22nd 2012, 11:15 AM

Like Traci said, there is no need to tell them as long as they are forcing you to do something that you don't want to. But if you still feel like you have to tell them, then well, a letter or an e-mail is the way to go Or you can bring it up at a family dinner or sometime when everyone is sitting together. Start the conversation with, "I have to tell you guys something. It has been bugging me for sometime and I want you all to know....."

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: Hard to tell parents - April 23rd 2012, 12:55 AM

If you want to tell your parents, great. But there is no rule that says you have to. You're growing into your own and you are figuring out what you want to believe. That's YOUR business. It's not your parents' unless you want it to be.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
Closed Thread