TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
Sylinagigirox2012's Avatar
 

Posts: 57
Join Date: May 7th 2012

Post If my family is catholic but I don't go to church what am I? - May 11th 2012, 04:17 AM

My family is catholic, but we never go to chirh because we cannot find one in our area. Recently I have begun to lose my faith in god and turned to a more scientific look on things. While I strongly disagree with evolution because of many many reasons and creation seems even more unlikely I have begun looking into intervention theory. It speculates about our origin forms the stars, not necessarily the heavens. Essentially it's about aliens who made us by genetically altering apes. It's quite complex and while it has no holy book (like evolution) I have become strongly attached to it. My parents think its a phase, my friends simply do not know and I wonder how I can learn more without seeming obssessed(not to say some people are not obssessed with their religions)
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
chickenonsteroids's Avatar
 

Posts: 509
Join Date: August 9th 2011

Re: If my family is catholic but I don't go to church what am I? - May 11th 2012, 07:04 AM

I think you need to read about evolution a bit more. It works, intervention doesn't seem necessary, how much more different is it from intelligent design? Aliens creating humans and stars? That's a hypothesis not a theory. But I'll strip there. Read a bit more.

A lot of people will say that you're still Catholic because going to church isn't in your control. You can't find one. If one opens locally try to go because its better than not going. It being the house of god and everything.

By the way, our origins are from the stars. Everything is. We are all star dust but then again I'm still bewildered by the hypothesis that aliens genetically modified apes and you're strongly against evolution. Don't mutations sound familiar?


Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Michy_Blackrose Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Michy_Blackrose's Avatar
 
Name: Michy
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: London, UK

Posts: 257
Join Date: April 30th 2012

Re: If my family is catholic but I don't go to church what am I? - May 11th 2012, 11:07 AM

That makes you, in simple terms, a 'Lapsed Catholic'.

It's perfectly all right to explore other paths, or more about the tenets of the religion you were born into/raised in.

Best wishes

Michy.


And I was in the darkness,
So darkness I became.


<3
  Send a message via MSN to Michy_Blackrose  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
chickenonsteroids's Avatar
 

Posts: 509
Join Date: August 9th 2011

Re: If my family is catholic but I don't go to church what am I? - May 11th 2012, 09:00 PM

I just realised you said evolution has a holy book... where?


Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Collies R Us Offline
Proverbs 30:5-6
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Collies R Us's Avatar
 
Name: Ally
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 271
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: February 18th 2012

Re: If my family is catholic but I don't go to church what am I? - May 12th 2012, 10:14 PM

You're Christian.
I go to a United Methodist church but there are things I disagree with, so who knows if I'm Methodist or not? I find the way everyone splits up Christianity kinda unnecessary. If you believe that Jesus Christ paid for our sins and if you follow Him, you're Christian aren't you? If you don't have a church, read the Bible and try to find some clubs like Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) which can be found at some public schools. You don't have to be an athlete.

And about losing your faith to evolution, remember that we can in no way even imagine how amazing God is. He can do whatever He wants, however He wants. He created us, somehow, someway.
Those alien/evolution theories, well, are theories that man has thought up. Keep that in mind.
But God is real and alive. You don't always feel Him or hear Him but He is there. Don't shut Him out and don't ignore Him when He speaks. He works in mysterious ways... Please don't let some idea that a forty year old atheist came up with harm your faith.
The Lord is better than any scientific theory out there, so don't trade Him for theories.
- Collies R Us aka Ally


"Be strong and bold; have no fear or dread of them, because it is the LORD your God who goes with you; he will not fail you or forsake you." (Deut. 31:6 NRSV of the Bible)
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?
**********
 
MadPoet's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda.
Age: 24
Gender: Female.
Location: Michigan.

Posts: 4,685
Blog Entries: 121
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: If my family is catholic but I don't go to church what am I? - May 12th 2012, 10:22 PM

I don't think anyone can tell you what you are. I went through a period where I did not believe in God, and for me it was a phase. But it doesn't work that way for everyone. Explore different religions or beliefs and find out which ones you identify with best. For me, I never could get too far from Christianity. But if you find that different beliefs fit you differently, that's totally okay. You will discover what you are meant to believe eventually, or you might realize that you've known all along.





A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts


   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
chickenonsteroids's Avatar
 

Posts: 509
Join Date: August 9th 2011

Re: If my family is catholic but I don't go to church what am I? - May 12th 2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collies R Us View Post
And about losing your faith to evolution, remember that we can in no way even imagine how amazing God is. He can do whatever He wants, however He wants. He created us, somehow, someway.
Those alien/evolution theories, well, are theories that man has thought up. Keep that in mind.
But God is real and alive. You don't always feel Him or hear Him but He is there. Don't shut Him out and don't ignore Him when He speaks. He works in mysterious ways... Please don't let some idea that a forty year old atheist came up with harm your faith.
The Lord is better than any scientific theory out there, so don't trade Him for theories.
- Collies R Us aka Ally
I'm sorry but this part is absolutely ridiculous. I understand your intentions but you shouldn't be saying this. At all.

You're telling her to turn a blind eye to science because it conflicts with god? That's complete garbage. She shouldn't be closed minded to things that are substantiated with evidence, criticised by scientists and always open to review. Unlike the Bible a lot of the time.

Yes man has deduced these theories on how life has come about today. It is also man that has given you these computers, phones and the internet. It is also man that has clothed you and built houses.

You're openly admitting you don't understand what you're trying to explain by saying you don't understand god. What type of basis is that? Even the most prominent apologists and bishops do say they 'don't understand god' which makes a lot of the defence meaningless.

Interventionism is just as stupid as creationism.

It's this stupid, lazy thinking that results in pure ignorance and unnecessary attacks on science. How on earth will anyone develop if science was deemed false because it conflicted with science?

Don't spread your rubbish anywhere please. It's dangerous.


Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
Sylinagigirox2012's Avatar
 

Posts: 57
Join Date: May 7th 2012

Re: If my family is catholic but I don't go to church what am I? - May 13th 2012, 05:20 AM

I've lost my belief over the years, and have even considered rereading the bible for clues... Honestly i have grown sick and tired of people preaching how I'm supposed to be and how this is sinful and that to be a good person I have to thank someone for my food when really it was my parents who bought it not God. Creationism is hard to comprehend with the science "facts" - I use tht liberally- discovered to this day. Evolution, while more probabable and widely seen as the only alternative to creationism, has flaws like creationism. I will not go to say tht we have not evolved but some intervention has played a role. In my min intervention theory is a blend of creationism and evolution: it states tht we (humans) were genetically CREATED for a PURPOSE. We were left to EVOLVE and DEVELOP on our own but constant surveillance is present. I am not saying there is no god but I'm only saying that I think there is more to this debate than only 2 sides. Intervention theory is flawed but not because there is no proof but because of the suppression of facts behind the scenes! If god is from heaven, heaven is the sky, the sky has stars, planets go around stars, are god&jesus star beings? Or aliens if u prefer...?
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
chickenonsteroids's Avatar
 

Posts: 509
Join Date: August 9th 2011

Re: If my family is catholic but I don't go to church what am I? - May 13th 2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylinagigirox2012 View Post
I've lost my belief over the years, and have even considered rereading the bible for clues... Honestly i have grown sick and tired of people preaching how I'm supposed to be and how this is sinful and that to be a good person I have to thank someone for my food when really it was my parents who bought it not God. Creationism is hard to comprehend with the science "facts" - I use tht liberally- discovered to this day. Evolution, while more probabable and widely seen as the only alternative to creationism, has flaws like creationism. I will not go to say tht we have not evolved but some intervention has played a role. In my min intervention theory is a blend of creationism and evolution: it states tht we (humans) were genetically CREATED for a PURPOSE. We were left to EVOLVE and DEVELOP on our own but constant surveillance is present. I am not saying there is no god but I'm only saying that I think there is more to this debate than only 2 sides. Intervention theory is flawed but not because there is no proof but because of the suppression of facts behind the scenes! If god is from heaven, heaven is the sky, the sky has stars, planets go around stars, are god&jesus star beings? Or aliens if u prefer...?
lol ok prove aliens exist and prove they did anything otherwise is still just like intelligent design. I don't see any proof for it at all. You just sound like a conspiracy theorist.

I prefer natural evolution.


Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
Sylinagigirox2012's Avatar
 

Posts: 57
Join Date: May 7th 2012

Re: If my family is catholic but I don't go to church what am I? - May 14th 2012, 04:28 AM

Omg the proof is everywhere honestly you don't have to look much further than the human gene but if you want more substantial proof look at ancient civilizations and cave paintings and even the bible! A more solid and recent proof would be the starchild skull, dulce papers MJ 12 papers... It goes on!
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Daivia's Avatar
 
Name: Maeve
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: The Peach State

Posts: 878
Blog Entries: 13
Join Date: July 30th 2011

Re: If my family is catholic but I don't go to church what am I? - May 14th 2012, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylinagigirox2012 View Post
Omg the proof is everywhere honestly you don't have to look much further than the human gene but if you want more substantial proof look at ancient civilizations and cave paintings and even the bible! A more solid and recent proof would be the starchild skull, dulce papers MJ 12 papers... It goes on!
[citation needed]
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
chickenonsteroids's Avatar
 

Posts: 509
Join Date: August 9th 2011

Re: If my family is catholic but I don't go to church what am I? - May 14th 2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylinagigirox2012 View Post
Omg the proof is everywhere honestly you don't have to look much further than the human gene but if you want more substantial proof look at ancient civilizations and cave paintings and even the bible! A more solid and recent proof would be the starchild skull, dulce papers MJ 12 papers... It goes on!
LOL.

This isn't proof. This is garbage.

I really dislike things like this. Don't tell this to anyone else. You'd only be encouraging stupidity.


Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
SM13 Offline
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
SM13's Avatar
 
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: The State of Confusion

Posts: 512
Join Date: December 31st 2011

Re: If my family is catholic but I don't go to church what am I? - May 14th 2012, 06:51 AM

If you were baptized catholic you are technically in the eyes of the church always a catholic even if you convert or don't participate in mass. I'd say you are simply like many people out there a non practicing cradle catholic.
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
Sylinagigirox2012's Avatar
 

Posts: 57
Join Date: May 7th 2012

Re: If my family is catholic but I don't go to church what am I? - May 14th 2012, 03:15 PM

Everyone ha he right to their own opinion, the uneducated hold fast to Darwin's theory of evolution because modern science is based on it. I have an open mind and accept other views. No need to insult My views.
   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
chickenonsteroids's Avatar
 

Posts: 509
Join Date: August 9th 2011

Re: If my family is catholic but I don't go to church what am I? - May 14th 2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylinagigirox2012 View Post
Everyone ha he right to their own opinion, the uneducated hold fast to Darwin's theory of evolution because modern science is based on it. I have an open mind and accept other views. No need to insult My views.
[Edited]

Being open minded is not the same as accepting utter garbage. For goodness sake people need to understand that.

Read some more. You really do need it. You still haven't proved your hypothesis.


Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.

Last edited by LlamaLlamaDuck; May 15th 2012 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Please try to be respectful to all members.
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
Sylinagigirox2012's Avatar
 

Posts: 57
Join Date: May 7th 2012

Re: If my family is catholic but I don't go to church what am I? - May 15th 2012, 04:08 AM

And no one has proved to me god exists either, if you believe we are alone in he universe that is fine. When I said the uneducated I meant those uneducated on the topic of intervention and ancient astronauts and modern alien research.
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?
**********
 
Ambedo.'s Avatar
 
Name: Sam
Age: 25
Gender: Female

Posts: 3,573
Blog Entries: 26
Join Date: July 19th 2011

Re: If my family is catholic but I don't go to church what am I? - May 15th 2012, 05:01 AM

As MadPoet said, no one can truly tell you what your religion is. That's a personal decision and it's something that you have to conclude on your own. Whether it's God, aliens, evolution, or something entirely different, your beliefs are up to you. Dig into some research on the different topics and see which one sounds most likely to you. It might take some time, but you will eventually find the belief that you identify with the most.


wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
chickenonsteroids's Avatar
 

Posts: 509
Join Date: August 9th 2011

Re: If my family is catholic but I don't go to church what am I? - May 15th 2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylinagigirox2012 View Post
And no one has proved to me god exists either, if you believe we are alone in he universe that is fine. When I said the uneducated I meant those uneducated on the topic of intervention and ancient astronauts and modern alien research.
Way to go off topic.

I never mentioned god. I never said I believe we're alone in the universe. Ancient astronauts? Do you call the last 100 years ancient?

For goodness sake. Prove your hypothesis. If its right it won't be too difficult.


Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
LlamaLlamaDuck's Avatar
 
Name: Louise
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Scotland

Posts: 6,046
Blog Entries: 295
Join Date: July 14th 2009

Re: If my family is catholic but I don't go to church what am I? - May 15th 2012, 09:38 AM

Can I just remind everyone to please stay on topic. The thread is about the OP wondering what they might be in terms of religion. Not about evolution, if you want to discuss that, take it to another thread.
I also want to remind you to please be respectful to everyone, even if you disagree with their opinion or a point they try to make.


Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right


We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
chickenonsteroids's Avatar
 

Posts: 509
Join Date: August 9th 2011

Re: If my family is catholic but I don't go to church what am I? - May 15th 2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymnophoria View Post
Can I just remind everyone to please stay on topic. The thread is about the OP wondering what they might be in terms of religion. Not about evolution, if you want to discuss that, take it to another thread.
I also want to remind you to please be respectful to everyone, even if you disagree with their opinion or a point they try to make.
Why did the OP bring up evolution in a thread that's about her religious beliefs? If it wasn't meant to be discussed at all then it shouldn't have been mentioned really. It's all good and dandy questioning religion but then replacing it with that hypothesis is not helpful at all. It's like leaving Islam then saying you have psychic powers since you've looked into 'science'. I'm merely letting her know that evolution makes more sense but I'll leave her to believe interventionism.


Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.
   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
Sylinagigirox2012's Avatar
 

Posts: 57
Join Date: May 7th 2012

Re: If my family is catholic but I don't go to church what am I? - May 16th 2012, 03:45 AM

Not to point fingers but I only discussed evolution because it does have to do with religion. I did NOT want to start the hopeless debate with "chickenonsteroids"
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
alien, aliens, catholic, church, family, god, origins, religion, religion and faith

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright 1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.