TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SM13 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Question Catholic Church's View On Self Harm? - May 14th 2012, 07:17 AM

I personally am Roman Catholic and have always loved going to Mass and have had a vibrant faith life up until I started cutting. I feel like God is angry at me. I'm wondering what the Church thinks about people who self harm. I've been told that it's not good but that it is often because of a mental illness (depression) that I have so it's not my fault. I've also been told that it's a mortal sin to purposely hurt oneself. Could my fellow Catholics (or anybody who knows about the Catholic church's views) clear this up? Responses are greatly appreciated. Oh also is it a sin to be depressed? Thanks in advance!

~SM~

(#2 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Catholic Church's View On Self Harm? - May 14th 2012, 08:40 PM

Hey there!

I've been raised Catholic since the day I was born, and even though I don't agree with religion, I have learned quite a lot lately.
First of all, it is NOT your fault you are depressed. Most of the time, Depression has no trigger which often makes people wonder what in their life they have to be sad about. You've done nothing wrong.
Secondly, as far as I know, most religions say that your body is a temple. I mean, spiritually, your body is where your soul lives, so it's kind of like vandalising your home. But, like smoking and drinking, while it was your decision to start self harming, it's very addictive so it's not easy to just stop and move on. It takes a lot of time, effort, and commitment.

As for what Catholics think of it, it depends on the person. Some people will probably consider it an abomination. While others may have experience with it through themselves or someone they know and be more understanding of the struggles involved. Because self harm is so stigmatised, it is difficult to know what religion says about it. If God is the person I've been raised to believe in then he won't turn against you for harming yourself. I'm 99.999999% positive there's something in the bible about keeping sinners closer than those who do no wrong.

But hey, I stopped believing in all this nearly 5 years ago so I could be wrong.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
SM13 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Catholic Church's View On Self Harm? - May 15th 2012, 01:22 AM

So do you think he gets angry when I cut? (accidentally slipped up again last night ) do u think it could get a person sent to Hell?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Cutie7519 Offline
Love & Death
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kate
Location: In my happy place, where happiness lives forever more.

Re: Catholic Church's View On Self Harm? - May 15th 2012, 01:40 PM

Being a Christian and being depressed won't make God mad at you! People say getting mad is a sin when in fact it is not! Remember Jesus got mad for the people using the temple to sell things... Cutting I'm not sure with. I have looked up cutting in the bible and could find nothing of the sort for self-harm or anything. Just pray, God loves you very much and God knows you can come through this self-harm.

Also you will not go to hell for cutting or being depressed. If anyone says being depressed and God will kill you, it's a lie!!! I've been depressed for many years and God hasn't killed me yet over being depressed.

"It's easier to run, replacing this pain with something numb, it's so much easier to go, than face all this pain here all alone."- Linkin Park, Easier to run

"When the nightmares take me, I will scream with the howling wind." Owl City, Lonely Lullaby

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread