TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

YWAM or other Missionary... - June 8th 2012, 05:10 PM

So, I figure I might as well try and get some advice here, I don't know if it will work but who knows. Anyway, I have been struggling a lot lately with what it is exactly God wants me to do with my life. There is a part of me that thinks that he wants me to stay in my hometown and continue doing some volunteer work and go to college and get my AA and then Transfer to a 4 Year University and get my BA and from there get my Masters. In the end my goal is to help people who have been broken and battered.

Now, there has been another thing on my mind, I am not sure how long it has been there, a while, in one form or another but doing missionary work of some kind. Reaching out to the world, the nations. So, there were many reasons I never put much thought into missionary work one being that I didn't even know how to go about getting involved in it. Anyway I put that aside and then in January or so a friend of mine who has had a heart for missions since I have met her started talking about this organization known as YWAM. Anyway, eventually she got involved with them and she knows where my heart is at and thinks I would do well with something like YWAM as well. Of course I am hesitant for numerous reasons such as going to a foreign country, I have never been good about speaking the word of God to others, I don't know if I could raise the funds, in a sense missionaries scare me because I only hear about the hard core scary ones (that sound stupid) but the ones who preach hatred... but the stuff I have read about YWAM and the stuff my friend has told it seems like a good oorganization...

So I guess my question is, do any of you know anything about YWAM or any other missionary groups out there? Have any of you ever done any type of mission work? Can you give me any type of information? And, this question is probably one that can't really be answered ... how do you know what God wants from you?

I have been praying to him for ages, asking for a sign, asking for a definitive answer, something to help lead me to where I am supposed to be. And I don't know if I am not listening or seeing or praying hard enough but I am still stuck on where I need to be....

So, any advice you can give me would be really helpful

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: YWAM or other Missionary... - June 18th 2012, 02:36 AM

I still haven't recieved a response to this so I am going to try and make it a bit broader; has anyone done mission work? It doesn't have to be in relation to YWAM. Just Mission work in general.

Honestly any advice would be helpful. I talked to my family about it a bit and they some said I should do it, some were pessimistic and said I would never raise the money, some said it would be scary and others have said that it would be scary going into another country. My one brothers wife has done missions before and she said it is really awesome but she didn't do it hardcore like going to Isreal or Egypt or anything like that. Anyway, whatever you have to say would be more than welcome.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Dervisher Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: YWAM or other Missionary... - June 18th 2012, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~CourageousSurvivor~ View Post
So, I figure I might as well try and get some advice here, I don't know if it will work but who knows. Anyway, I have been struggling a lot lately with what it is exactly I want to do with my life. There is a part of me that thinks that I want to stay in my hometown and continue doing some volunteer work and go to college and get my AA and then Transfer to a 4 Year University and get my BA and from there get my Masters. In the end my goal is to help people who have been broken and battered.

Fixed the things that matter/don't matter in this question.
I don't know about missions but I know that if you want to get something you set a goal, and then look into the details of how to reach that goal. Everything else after that is having the drive to go through with it. If you wait for your 'sign' you are never going to get anywhere in life. Eventually your mind will find something to go ''hey, I like this.'' and you'll connect it with ''this must be the sign'' but do you really want to waste your time waiting for something so trivial? You can always find out if you don't enjoy/want to do something by trying to do it. There's no harm done in doing things. Waiting and doing nothing is what will get you stuck in a pickle.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
♥Bliz Offline
Frosted but not frozen
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kyle

Re: YWAM or other Missionary... - June 18th 2012, 04:45 AM

Sadly, I have no missionary experiance, and don't know what to expect for you, but I always hear when doing something new, or even for the third time, keep you heart open, and look closely for how God guides you. When you heart is pulled, go... when you are scared, fight the fear.
My connection with God sems to be lacking and I am not guided as I should, so I understand that... my advice is to speak well with your pastor and anyone else of support in your church, they are the best to go to.

If you ever need it, I'm here to help, talk, or whatever! ~~Kyle
Suicide helplines:
1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433) or 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
  Send a message via Yahoo to ♥Bliz  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: YWAM or other Missionary... - June 18th 2012, 01:26 PM

While I may be losing faith, and growing in skepticism, I will try to share my advice to you. I will just be honest with you, I am not saying any of this to challenge you, but just to realize some faults of mainstream Christianity.

Quote:
So, I figure I might as well try and get some advice here, I don't know if it will work but who knows. Anyway, I have been struggling a lot lately with what it is exactly God wants me to do with my life. There is a part of me that thinks that he wants me to stay in my hometown and continue doing some volunteer work and go to college and get my AA and then Transfer to a 4 Year University and get my BA and from there get my Masters. In the end my goal is to help people who have been broken and battered.

I've always been so curious about why Christians go to college. Christ always taught to give what we have to the poor. So did Paul, and all of the early Christians. I hear conservatives say, "Well, you need to get settled, you need to get a good job." Excuse me? When did Christ ever say, "You need to find yourself a good job, a wife, and have kids"? So, if you're serious about Christianity, I think for the most part, University is out of the question. And I can go in depth to explain it, but the most basic answer is that it is counter-productive to the Christian's way of life, and by Christian, I mean those who actually take Christ's teachings seriously. Not those who go to church every Sunday.

I will ask you this, though I don't expect your response. Is it Christ-like to take out student loans, or grant money (which is given to you through other peoples income)? Is it Christ like to go into debt? Is it Christ-like to be invested in THIS world? Education, to me, seems worldly. Weren't Christians called to be fools? And that if a Christian considers themselves wise by the worlds standard, then they ought to become fools?

If you haven't, read the Irresistible Revolution.

Quote:
Now, there has been another thing on my mind, I am not sure how long it has been there, a while, in one form or another but doing missionary work of some kind. Reaching out to the world, the nations. So, there were many reasons I never put much thought into missionary work one being that I didn't even know how to go about getting involved in it. Anyway I put that aside and then in January or so a friend of mine who has had a heart for missions since I have met her started talking about this organization known as YWAM. Anyway, eventually she got involved with them and she knows where my heart is at and thinks I would do well with something like YWAM as well. Of course I am hesitant for numerous reasons such as going to a foreign country, I have never been good about speaking the word of God to others, I don't know if I could raise the funds, in a sense missionaries scare me because I only hear about the hard core scary ones (that sound stupid) but the ones who preach hatred... but the stuff I have read about YWAM and the stuff my friend has told it seems like a good oorganization...
Why do you need to go through a missions agency? Can't you just raise money independently through local churches? This way you are separated from YWAM or any other missionary agency and from their dogma. Regardless, I would suggest going to a foreign country before you consider volunteering your life for this.

Quote:
So I guess my question is, do any of you know anything about YWAM or any other missionary groups out there? Have any of you ever done any type of mission work? Can you give me any type of information? And, this question is probably one that can't really be answered ... how do you know what God wants from you?
I've done missions work in Mexico. My wife has done missions work in Africa, her father is a missionary (Thrive!).

As far as information goes, I find it rather pointless to go and "preach" about god. Christ taught that people will know Christians by their love. So, I think sharing about god is more about sharing what you have than just words out of your mouth.

How do you know what god wants from you? Ultimately, you don't. You can read the Bible, try to discern god's will for you, but, so many people who have done this come up with different outcomes. Some people thing god's will is to murder other people. Other's think it is to spread the word that god hates homosexuals and only loves straight people. You can pray about it, but then, of course, the question is: How do you discern god's voice from your own. People will tell you, "it's that little voice inside your head." Well, I can tell you, in my experience, that little voice, was just my own.

In fact, the entire concept of prayer is a little redundant. John tells us to ask anything in prayer, and we will receive it, but James says god doesn't answer our prayers because we have wrong motives. Modern Christian's say, god always answers but it's not always the way you want or expect.

Well, if it's not what you ask for, and it is in god's will (i.e. to spread the gospel), yet he doesn't answer, or if he answers however he wants to answer, then what's the point in praying to begin with? Because, regardless, he'll do what he wants. So, I can't really help you here.

Quote:
I have been praying to him for ages, asking for a sign, asking for a definitive answer, something to help lead me to where I am supposed to be. And I don't know if I am not listening or seeing or praying hard enough but I am still stuck on where I need to be....

This is one of the reasons I've started to lose faith. I've even asked for a sign of his existence, which someone in the old testament basically did (and god answered), yet he doesn't even answer these prayers for me.

There's no way to have a definitive answer, and even if you get one, it's probably just coincidence. So, again, be careful to trust any "signs" that this is what you should be doing. You know, it's funny. You have Catholics, Muslims, Protestants, Mormons, Jehovah's witnesses, Jewish people, etc. I've read stories of these peoples conversions to their faith. They all say they prayed about it and god lead them to their faith. So, tell me, if they believe god lead them to their faith, and yet, all of these beliefs are so contradicting at some points, and if god isn't a liar, then which faith is true? Or did god just lie to them all? Or is god a universalist?

I don't mean to sound condescending. I was in a spot where you are several years ago. And, well, now I am going to University for a science major. All of which I would have never considered 4 years ago. And guess what, I too asked for god to lead me down the right path.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: YWAM or other Missionary... - June 18th 2012, 03:11 PM

I can't tell you which one God wants you to do; you'll have to continue praying for confirmation about that and ask Him to make it clear to you. You will know if the confirmation is coming from God and not yourself if it lines up with how the bible tells us to live and if you ask God and He continues to give you signs that you should do it. For example, about 6 years ago, the guy who is now my youth pastor was praying about if he should become a youth pastor (something that he never thought he would do, but suddenly felt like he should). He wasn't really good with kids and he thought he was too old to lead teenagers to God. He prayed for confirmation, and at the same time, a lady in his church (who had no idea about any of this) came up to him and said "You think you're too old, don't you?" and then a youth pastor job opened at a nearby church and he was offered the job! The situation didn't go against scripture at all and God seemed to confirm it, so he took the job...and tons of teenagers (including me! ) have been saved because of it. Now, the devil does give signs too, which is why we have to test the signs that we get against scripture to see if they line up and continue praying about it. Read the book of Acts in the bible if you haven't recently. It is full of stories where missionaries prayed and got clear confirmation from God about what they should do.

Missions work isn't something that you always have to travel for. There are people in your very town who have never heard the gospel before. Every day you pass people like your waitress at a resturaunt, the store clerk at the grocery store, your nurse at the doctor's office....tons of people, and the majority of them probably aren't saved. You can be a missionary by sharing the gospel with those people. You don't have to travel to do it. Of course, God does call some people to travel, and that very well might be you...but just remember that you can (and should) be a missionary right where you are right now until God clearly leads you to go somewhere else.

Also, like the person above me said, you don't always have to go through an agency for mission trips. Of course you can and that's great, but if I were to go on a missions trip, I would probably do it indepentantly. That's just me. I want to be able to go where God calls me to and do what He calls me to while I'm there without having to follow the group's schedule. But again, that's just me.

Also, Jesus was a carpenter. His day job didn't directly have anything to do with sharing the gospel, but He still used it for God's glory. So remember, your main job doesn't have to be directly about God and helping people in order to serve Him. You can share God's love even by working at a grocery store or something. Again, if God is calling you to have a job that's directly about Him then absolutely do that...but there are lots of ways to serve Him without it directly being your career.

I haven't traveled for any missions work yet, but I have gone around my town sharing the gospel. I'll be honest, it will feel really weird at first, just because you probably aren't used to doing such a thing...but it is SO worth it to know that you are planting seeds in their lives! I have to disagree with Michael (the person who posted above me) who said that you just have to love people and not preach the gospel. It is very important to do both. People may know that we are Christians because of our love, but just knowing that we are Christians isn't enough- they also need to know how THEY can become Christians. Also, Jesus also said to "go into the world and preach the gospel to every creature."

Last edited by Megan1; June 18th 2012 at 05:16 PM.

Closed Thread