TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount20

Edit avatar

Colonising Mars - June 30th 2012, 11:43 PM

In the year 2023, there'll be chosen astronauts going to inhabit the planet Mars. They will leave September 14 of 2022 and will land on Mars in (Earth's northern hemisphere's) spring 2023.

http://mars-one.com/en/

To begin with, the journey to Mars, which takes nine months on a rocket ship (20 seconds to 80 seconds at speed of light), will be highly dangerous! Limited food, loo in a bag, showering is impossible. People will be severely malnourished within a month of leaving Earth.

They'll be setting up civilisation on Mars, a whole other planet with a different atmosphere, lower gravity (so when you jump, you won't come back to the ground!), and lack of natural resources (like stone and crop, what made us humans thrive so many years ago). They'll need to find a way to conduct heat to loosen up the ice cap which provides water.

Ultimately, they won't be coming back to Earth. They'll grow, reproduce (in the confined ships only, otherwise they'd implode), birth, live and die on Mars.

What do you guys think of this?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: Colonising Mars - June 30th 2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
A manned mission to Mars is expensive. We plan to fund it by making it the biggest media spectacle in history. This way, everyone will get the chance to not only watch the astronauts make their journey, but choose who gets to do so. Four people, icons, who will leave their life on Earth behind and start an adventure on a new planet tens of millions of miles away.
Doesn't this just scream 'reality tv'?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount20

Edit avatar

Re: Colonising Mars - July 1st 2012, 12:00 AM

Yeah, it's gonna be televised by the guy who co-created Big Brother. 0_o

Why the fuck put the lives of astronauts at risk just to do that? All the more reason for me to be against the colonisation of Mars.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Colonising Mars - July 1st 2012, 02:43 AM

I'm calling bullshit on this one. This looks like a scam to get money donated. I think we would have heard about this more sufficiently on the news if this was for real. Where are they getting the ship? It's not being run by the government or anything. I'm not buying it.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
JohnCoop Offline
Average Joe

Name: John W. Cooper

Re: Colonising Mars - July 1st 2012, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
I'm calling bullshit on this one. This looks like a scam to get money donated. I think we would have heard about this more sufficiently on the news if this was for real. Where are they getting the ship? It's not being run by the government or anything. I'm not buying it.

You think so?? Awww, man! I was just thinkin' about all of the real estate opportunities that would be available out there in Martian countryside! Damn, that really put a damper on my plans!

On a more serious note I think I'm gonna call BS on this one too. I'm gonna wait until NASA says something official about their progress, though I doubt any measurable progress will occur anytime soon as the current administration is giving neither NASA nor the Military any funding to research new space vehicles. So unless the Russians are planning a manned mission to Mars in 2023, (if that's the case then you can guarantee that 'On Soviet Mars' jokes will start being told) I doubt anyone will be going to our little red neighbor anytime in the next 50 to 150 years.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Colonising Mars - July 1st 2012, 10:19 AM

I'm also calling BS on this one. No spacefaring organisation on the planet would in its right mind send astronauts on a one-way, potentially fatal trip like this. Sending a mission to Mars is a completely different ballgame to sending astronauts to the ISS or even the Moon - you have to time the launch exactly right so that both planets are in alignment, to say nothing of factoring in enough fuel to cover 80 million km of flight (including course corrections). Landing on Mars is also not a straightforward undertaking, as shown by the number of failed attempts to land probes on it, and much as there are some people who could cope with those conditions short-term I can't think of many who'd be able to cope with an entire lifetime of it. If they want this project to be meaningful rather than a publicity stunt, they should target the Moon which (a) we've already gotten to and (b) we can get people back from if anything goes wrong.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Will sterry

Re: Colonising Mars - July 1st 2012, 01:16 PM

Even by 2023, we still wont be ready to go to Mars. This is obviously another stunt to get the masses of Sheeple glued to there TV's like always.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Colonising Mars - July 1st 2012, 02:19 PM

Space exploration is a necessity for a well-balanced economy. It gives people hope, a future, it expands our knowledge, and it encourages us to grow as a society. I am thoroughly excited for this and have been since I've first heard about this. The dangers are great, but expanding our civilization is a necessity. I just hope NASA will get more funding because, as people have said, it probably won't happen. Our dreams have died. But, I still hope.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount20

Edit avatar

Re: Colonising Mars - July 1st 2012, 02:52 PM

I agree with those who are calling "bullshit" on this. Even if it weren't bullshit, I am still against it.

Plus, as someone said, there's been nothing from NASA or other international space organizations about this. This must have been decades in the planning, decades, because it's not something that can be planned in nine years. Hell, less than nine years. If you figure, beginning to collect for funds would have to take some time. Then getting the money for it. The amount would be in the trillions or quadrillions. Maybe that takes seven to ten years. So that brings us to pretty much today. But, then, you need to collect the equipment, test and prepare them. That'd probably take two years or so. So there's nine to twelve years. The minimum is pretty much today. That'd bring the latest to 2025 or 2026. And the astronauts haven't been chosen yet, and they probably need years of training and preparing (after all, they're living on a whole other planet for the rest of their lives). So, if we say they need a decade, they'dve been chosen already or about to be chosen. Then there would've been candidates, and that would probably take a few years to narrow down. We definitely would have heard about "Mars colonizing candidates" over these past few years.

Excuse the large wall of text.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cat

Re: Colonising Mars - July 1st 2012, 05:23 PM

I'm probably just reiterating, but you really can't believe everything you read.

There are plans to one day have a manned trip to Mars, but they would not be going there to colonise it. Plus the plans definitely don't have a date and no one has the funds to do it yet. I think its a shame we can't go.

Now to poke a few more holes in this little story:
  • I don't know where these people got their facts, but they should check them. It would take at least 520 days to get to Mars, rather longer than 9 months. That's how long they used for the simulator that finished just this year to research how the mental state of astronauts might be affected by a Mars mission.
  • I'll give you the idea that crops may not exactly thrive in the extremely thin atmosphere, with less than half the power from the sun, and sub-zero temperatures, but the planet is made from 'stone'. It's a rocky planet. That particular example is practically the only thing we wouldn't be short of.
  • Limited food' - true, limited to the quantity needed. No one is stupid enough to send people into a potentially dangerous environment only to needlessly compromise their mental acuity and physical performance. If you couldn't give the astronauts enough food, you wouldn't send them.
  • And as for 'poo in a bag and no showers' - seriously? Can you imagine how disasterous it would be if the shit literally hit the fan in space? For a start, hygiene is kinda important when the nearest hospital is thousands of miles away. Second, I don't think you can just call the computer guy if you accidentally pee on the computer monitor in a space shuttle.
  • Ice cap? On Mars? The presence of any water on Mars is debated, if it's there it is not as a massive chunk right where we could see it.
  • Anyone who thinks that the gravity on Mars is so weak that you could just float away really needs to change their physics teacher. Or possibly kill them...
Sorry, rant over

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Colonising Mars - July 2nd 2012, 04:29 PM

Why is this in the religion and spirituality forum? Not criticizing, just curious what kind of religious implications people would be concerned about if this actually was happening (and not just a bullshit "news" story).

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

(#12 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Colonising Mars - July 2nd 2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei View Post
Why is this in the religion and spirituality forum? Not criticizing, just curious what kind of religious implications people would be concerned about if this actually was happening (and not just a bullshit "news" story).
It's also the Science forum (full title: Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy), so as this story also entails some degree of scientific advancement in order to be viable it fits in here as well as Current Events and Debates. Hope that helps.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#13 (permalink)) Old
JustACityBoy Offline
Telemachus
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Carl

Re: Colonising Mars - July 6th 2012, 01:49 PM

This has actually got me wondering. What if the government was running a conspiracy? As in the Earth will be inhabitable by 2020 and we have to begin moving to mars? They say that estimated time for oil exhaustion at this rate is around 2100's. Any visit to Mars would only be for science, not to for residency, unless there truly was a conspiracy. Damn.
I doubt its true however, We need to start moving to mars now if we want billions to live there.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Colonising Mars - July 17th 2012, 11:41 AM

McDonald's has already applied for planning permission to build more chains on Mars. I think that speaks for itself. Tesco's also in on the action. There's definitely a conspiracy going on here.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: Colonising Mars - July 17th 2012, 05:22 PM

Why don't they spend all that money here...On Earth...where we all live...and need money... I know "Oh space exciting oh Mars, no ones ever been" I mean seriously -__- why waste all the time and money and food? Hey there are people starving here.

If someone already said this sorrrrrrry.

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

Closed Thread