TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
OnTheArrow Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Gloria O'Brian

Question Christianity & Tattoos - July 10th 2012, 11:49 PM

Hey everyone,
I just want some honest opinions...
Do you think that tattoos are against Christian beliefs?
I don't want to state my opinions on this because I want to hear what Christians or even non-Christians think about this.
Thanks for your input!

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 914051 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: Christianity & Tattoos - July 10th 2012, 11:54 PM

This is all I have to say about the Bible and its rules about getting tattoos.

Last edited by Daivia; July 11th 2012 at 12:03 AM. Reason: grammar issues

6 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Re: Christianity & Tattoos - July 11th 2012, 12:39 AM

I'm a Christian and I honestly don't think it's a big deal. I have a good number of Christian friends who have tattoos themselves. I think you should be 100% sure before getting one because it is permanent, but I don't think it's that big of a deal as far as religion goes.

Also, just like to say, that leviticus quote is complete bullshit. Love is love, no matter the gender. Just saying.

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: Christianity & Tattoos - July 11th 2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koharuchan View Post
Also, just like to say, that leviticus quote is complete bullshit. Love is love, no matter the gender. Just saying.
Hey, it's in your Bible. Not going to bother debating with you on what it means. But it is in there. As a rule. Put down as an abomination. God's word.

As for tattoos, I doubt a fair-minded God gives a flying fuck a rolling donut. If he cares how you style your own body, then he doesn't deserve to be worshiped.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Christianity & Tattoos - July 11th 2012, 03:48 PM

I think that's being slightly harsh Maeve. The thread wasn't created to insult God and what he may or may not think.

It does say in the bible that you shouldn't 'damage' your body with tattoos, piercings, the like. However a lot of christians do have one or the other and it would be important to look at the context of which it was being said. I am a Christian and thinking of having a tattoo, I would say as long as it is respectful, it is your choice. Could you ask a pastor/someone at church what they think about it?

Hope that helped

Anna

You have to have the negative things in life
to be able to appreciate the positives.
TG 05/04/2013

(#6 (permalink)) Old
OnTheArrow Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Gloria O'Brian

Re: Christianity & Tattoos - July 11th 2012, 07:17 PM

Thank you everyone for your responses! I think I'm going to do what Anna said and ask someone at my church.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Christianity & Tattoos - July 12th 2012, 01:56 PM

If I read it correctly, the verse in Leviticus just says to not make markings for the dead on yourself, because that is worshipping the dead instead of God. There is another verse in the bible that talks about ways to declare God, and one says that some people will write "I am the LORD's" on themselves to show dedication to God. So, we know that at least Christian tattoos are okay. I don't know about other random things like flowers, designs, sports teams logos, etc....but I would personally never get anything except a Christian tattoo, because I want it to be clear that my body is a temple of God and God alone.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Average Joe

Name: Melissa

Re: Christianity & Tattoos - July 17th 2012, 11:50 AM

Ok I'm gonna throw my two cents in and you can take or leave it but...our bodies are a gift from God and He expected us to take care of them and that includes not defacing them with tattoos, not having excessive piercings, and not damaging them in anyway (on purpose) and this includes eating unhealthy, smoking, drinking, ect. God loves us and gave us this wonderful gift that we should respect. Now I'm not saying you will be damned or for having tattoos, it's not like that.
It's a great question that many people wonder and this is what I believe is the truth.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
EmNZ Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Em

Re: Christianity & Tattoos - July 17th 2012, 12:31 PM

*My thoughts*

Iím Christian and I think it depends on a huge number of things. Times have changed so much. I think trying to interpret what the Bible has to say is too difficult. Obviously if youíre getting a tattoo of like, the devil on your face, thatís probably not gonna be so fabulous. But God loves us through everything...

I half think heís stopped worrying about tattoos because on the whole scheme of bad-things-happening-in-the-world at least theyíre not killing anyone.
Our bodies are our temples, if weíre respecting them and not aiming to be perfect all good, right? (=

Iím going to get one soon myself =)

You can usually find me on my tumblr, Iím here for you (=

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: Christianity & Tattoos - July 17th 2012, 02:10 PM

I know at my church it is considered "dishonoring the sacred temple that God gave you" As one of the other church goers so rudely said to my sister, and I understand that, but I kind of disagree. I believe tattoos are art. There's nothing wrong with them. It's like piercing your ears for crying out loud. Plus I've seen many older church goers with them >.> religious ones. I mean I don't see a problem with it, it's art!

Talk to your erm. person of the church so many different names they have. Good luck

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Average Joe

Name: Melissa

Re: Christianity & Tattoos - July 18th 2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
I know at my church it is considered "dishonoring the sacred temple that God gave you" As one of the other church goers so rudely said to my sister, and I understand that, but I kind of disagree. I believe tattoos are art. There's nothing wrong with them. It's like piercing your ears for crying out loud. Plus I've seen many older church goers with them >.> religious ones. I mean I don't see a problem with it, it's art!

Talk to your erm. person of the church so many different names they have. Good luck
hun it's not like piercing your ears one small hole in each ear is fine (gauges are another story ewww) Yes I could see how you could say that tattoos are art but why put it on your body? wouldn't look just as good or even better if it was on a nice piece of canvas hanging in your room? and I do also believe that it is considered "dishonoring the sacred temple that God gave you" (in the most loving tone I can conjurer up) I do think the lady at your church could have been nicer about saying that but anyways. Temple God gave us, don't deface it

(#12 (permalink)) Old
FuturesEnd45 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Christianity & Tattoos - July 20th 2012, 09:09 AM

I see tattoos as art on your body to express yourself c: My friends who are also christian all want tattoos and ive seen a pastor at a friends church with them! I think if its not like satan or bad stuff your putting on your body and things that make you happy i dont think its bad. Some people are happier with tattoos and body modifications and some people see it as a way to even get more intimate with their faith, christians or not. As long as you are a good person, nice to others and living well I dont think God can hold that against you c:

I think if someone is confused about anything they can always talk to their pastor or someone at church about it
  Send a message via AIM to FuturesEnd45  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Christianity & Tattoos - July 20th 2012, 09:52 PM

I've been thinking about this some more because i'm thinking of getting a tattoo as well, and I was thinking back to an Ordination ceremony that I was at earlier this month. (When trainee vicars are made vicars, basically - like graduation) And one of them had a tattoo on her foot and potentially somewhere else - can't remember and I don't know about the others. So really, I think as long as it isn't offensive then it's okay

You have to have the negative things in life
to be able to appreciate the positives.
TG 05/04/2013

Closed Thread