TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Patricia92 Offline
Child of God
Not a n00b

Name: Patricia

Smile Hearing From God: Prayer: A Christian's Weapon - October 16th 2012, 02:42 PM

Prayer has always been the Christian's ultimate weapon. It wards off evil, fights temptations, and protects against the snares of the devil. There is no other time in the history of America that prayer is needed the most. God makes a promise in His Word about prayer that every Christian ought to remember, especially when they pray for America. "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." 2 Chronicles 7:14. This passage of Scripture can be taken from two points of view. The first point that God wants to make is for America itself; the entire country. Our forefathers landed on Plymouth Rock in hopes to find happiness and peace in the Lord, and to worship and praise Him freely without having to worry about repercussions from outside sources. They prayed earnestly for one another. They were concerned about the state of things. Should we not as 21st century Christians be concerned about the state of things in Washington? Should we not be on our knees crying out to God for a revival? There is one condition that God makes in this promise and it is extremely important. In order to really see a miracle take place in this country, God tells us to humble ourselves. We need to put off any preconceived notions about prayer, religion, or God himself, and throw away our prideful nature. That is when the true miracle takes place. It has been said that revival begins in ourselves. If we want America to have another great revival, we need to take a look at ourselves and ask God what we can do to make a change.
Let's take a look at another Scripture. Read Nehemiah 1:1-11. In verse three, Nehemiah receives bad news concerning a battle going on in Jerusalem. What is our reaction when we receive bad news? When you get laid off from your job, do you pray to the Lord for help and provision while searching for another job? When the doctor says there is no hope left, do you pray for healing? When your husband or wife threatens to leave, do you pray for him or her? Nehemiah is a great example of who we should be like when it looks like things are getting hopeless. Verses 4-11 are the words of a prayer that Nehemiah lifted to God. He begged for the Lord to have mercy upon His children. He confessed the sins that not only he committed, but the sins of everyone else. He wanted so bad for God to put His hand back on Israel. That's what we should do as Christians in America. We need to beg God for mercy. We need to beg Him to keep His hand on this country. We have been blessed far too much to turn away like this.
This Scripture can also be used to apply to our personal lives. Look at the Scripture again and replace the phrase "my people" with your name. Let me use my name. "If Patricia, which is called by my name, shall humble herself, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from her wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive her sin, and will heal her land." What kind of land in your life needs healing? There are all sorts of things in people's lives that need healing; financial, physical, spiritual, mental, family, etc. God says that if you do all those things sincerely and from your heart as you seek Him, He will heal, or fix, whatever problem you may be facing today.
There is another promise that God makes to each and everyone of us; if we will accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, we can be assured of a better place in Heaven one day. If you want Jesus as your Lord and Savior, continue reading.
Remember that you are a sinner. Everyone sins. That is the first step to salvation; admitting our sins.
Believe that Jesus Christ died for you. He washed away your sins at Calvary. All you have to do is believe it in your heart.
Repent. Repent and turn away from your sins. Allow God to make a change in your life.
If you have done these things, say this from your heart with your lips out loud:
Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner. I believe that you died for my sins and that you washed them away on the cross. I now repent and turn away from my sins and I ask you to come into my life and set me free. Thank you for dying for me. Thank you for saving me. Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, please let me know. I have some online resources that can help you with your walk with Christ.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Hearing From God: Prayer: A Christian's Weapon - October 16th 2012, 03:05 PM

Why do you feel that “there is no other time in the history of America that prayer is needed the most”? I mean I could think of a few times off the top of my head that were horrific in America’s history. I was just wondering what exactly you are referring to here?

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Patricia92 Offline
Child of God
Not a n00b

Name: Patricia

Re: Hearing From God: Prayer: A Christian's Weapon - October 16th 2012, 03:59 PM

Lizzie I'm referring to the fact that not as many people are willing to get down on their knees in prayer for their country as they were so many times in the past. In the Great Depression of the 1920's, the churches were packed. The bombing of Pearl Harbor prompted many salvations; as did 9/11. Nowadays not even Christians care. Hope that helps.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Hearing From God: Prayer: A Christian's Weapon - October 16th 2012, 04:30 PM

While I do see praying as a great source of personal reflection and a way to communicate with your God, I guess I don’t understand the validity of praying for particular things to happen how you wish them to happen.
God is almighty, God has control on what does and does not happen and if something happens, it happens at God’s will, that is what an almighty God means. So when the Great Depression happened, it happened because God allowed it. So asking him to make is end, or make it better is a little confusing for me. What exactly do you hope that praying to your God will achieve in those circumstances?

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Average Joe

Name: Melissa

Re: Hearing From God: Prayer: A Christian's Weapon - October 17th 2012, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
While I do see praying as a great source of personal reflection and a way to communicate with your God, I guess I donít understand the validity of praying for particular things to happen how you wish them to happen.
God is almighty, God has control on what does and does not happen and if something happens, it happens at Godís will, that is what an almighty God means. So when the Great Depression happened, it happened because God allowed it. So asking him to make is end, or make it better is a little confusing for me. What exactly do you hope that praying to your God will achieve in those circumstances?
I think I might have a response that might help. I have found that praying to know and follow the will of God is better. Sometimes (I should do it more) when I pray I add "if it be your will" to things that I pray for and ask of God. Sometimes yes bad things happen and God wanted to make it that way such as the Great Depression and things and he has his reasons too, but knowing that He is perfect that also means his reasoning is also perfect. Sometimes when bad things happen God wants us to exercise faith in Him and drop to our knees and pray for help, sometimes this is His way of reminding us that we are dependent on him no matter what. Just cuz he let things happen doesnt mean He wont change circumstances if you ask, because sometimes thats all he wanted you to do in the first place. Hope that helped.

Closed Thread