TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
NatureLoving Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Only Neo-Pagan in the family? - October 17th 2012, 03:12 PM

I am the only Neo-Pagan in a family of non religious people. My dad said that no one is a Pagan anymore, and said that there are pagans who do bad things and when I said their are many good pagans he told me to name one and I couldn't name any good famous pagans. My mum said I need to research it more, and I did and I am happy with it, yet I just wish they wouldn't do this.. My sister hasn't said much on the matter, apart from questioning if it was a pre Christianity thing.

Also, with Samhain coming up, I have no altar due to lack of space and resources, and a non-pagan family, besides Pagan and special Samhain prayer, what can I do to celebrate?

Help and advice on both matters is strongly appreciated.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Average Joe

Name: Melissa

Re: Only Neo-Pagan in the family? - October 17th 2012, 04:32 PM

I dont know much about your religion but I sure as heck know how you feel being the only one in your family that is of your religion. I understand it can be hard , I hear the same crap from my family about my religion. And I always wonder (not only for myself but for others who are in the same situation as me) why families try and bring us down when we are trying to be apart of something to make us better people and my our lives better. I can't tell you that they will stop but I can tell you, you will get better at handling it which in turn will make it easier. Just be strong in your faith and keep learning about it cuz knowledge is power, especially in a situation like this.
And as for the celebration of Samhain, do you know anybody else who are of this religion as well? Maybe even a family in the area who will be celebrating? Cuz if so I'm sure they would love for you to join them. Just a thought.
I hope this helps. Feel free to ask me anymore questions you may have.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Only Neo-Pagan in the family? - October 17th 2012, 04:33 PM

There are a lot of misconceptions about neo-pagans. (And most religions for that matter) I know it must be hard hearing them come from your own family, but the main point is that you know what you believe is right for you. That is all that matters. You can’t make someone understand why you believe what you do; all you can do is set a good example for the neo-pagan community. Remain calm, friendly, loving and helpful. It is kind of hard to tell someone they are doing something wrong when they are a good person. So, just keep your chin up and eventually they will get over it.

As for Samhain coming up, my favorite holiday, I have always loved getting into the Halloween spirit! I recently decorated my house with nine pumpkins, a few of which I will carve this weekend. I got out my orange, harvest colored lines and pumpkin scented candles. But I feel most of the magic of the harvest sabbats is the magical environment. Stepping outside and breathing in the crisp air, watching the crimson leaves in the trees falling to the ground. Just taking in the natural magical properties of this season and letting them calm and sooth me during the hectic time of mid-terms. Enjoying each season for what it is and its properties is a completely appropriate way to celebrate.

If you want to talk specifics for October 31st, it’s the Pagan New Year’s Eve. It’s a time of reflection on the past year and remembrance of what and who we may have lost. Perhaps create a resolution for the new year. Light a candle in front of a photo of someone who has passed. This is also an amazing time for divination. So if you use tarot cards, runes, scrying, whatever works for you, set time aside on that day for divination work.

Whatever your heart says to do that day, do it. Intuition is increased on Samhain and will tell you the best way to celebrate for you. And above all have fun and enjoy this extremely magical day.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
NatureLoving Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Only Neo-Pagan in the family? - October 17th 2012, 05:08 PM

Thank you! I also require some help on memorizing prayers, I find amazing ones on websites, but then find myself praying in front of my computer, and I would really love to pray before bed and do some outside prayer, but need advice on how to memorize the prayers in order to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
There are a lot of misconceptions about neo-pagans. (And most religions for that matter) I know it must be hard hearing them come from your own family, but the main point is that you know what you believe is right for you. That is all that matters. You canít make someone understand why you believe what you do; all you can do is set a good example for the neo-pagan community. Remain calm, friendly, loving and helpful. It is kind of hard to tell someone they are doing something wrong when they are a good person. So, just keep your chin up and eventually they will get over it.

As for Samhain coming up, my favorite holiday, I have always loved getting into the Halloween spirit! I recently decorated my house with nine pumpkins, a few of which I will carve this weekend. I got out my orange, harvest colored lines and pumpkin scented candles. But I feel most of the magic of the harvest sabbats is the magical environment. Stepping outside and breathing in the crisp air, watching the crimson leaves in the trees falling to the ground. Just taking in the natural magical properties of this season and letting them calm and sooth me during the hectic time of mid-terms. Enjoying each season for what it is and its properties is a completely appropriate way to celebrate.

If you want to talk specifics for October 31st, itís the Pagan New Yearís Eve. Itís a time of reflection on the past year and remembrance of what and who we may have lost. Perhaps create a resolution for the new year. Light a candle in front of a photo of someone who has passed. This is also an amazing time for divination. So if you use tarot cards, runes, scrying, whatever works for you, set time aside on that day for divination work.

Whatever your heart says to do that day, do it. Intuition is increased on Samhain and will tell you the best way to celebrate for you. And above all have fun and enjoy this extremely magical day.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Only Neo-Pagan in the family? - October 21st 2012, 12:57 PM

Honestly I am very much a believer on working from the heart. Prayers don't have to be specific, they can be whatever you wish them to be. So if you are having a hard time memorizing them, then don't! Just say whats in your heart.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Only Neo-Pagan in the family? - October 22nd 2012, 04:08 PM

Frankly, I believe it's great that your family is asking questions and encouraging you to research what you're apart of. The more you know about it, the more likely you are to further commit, or maybe leave the commitment behind.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#7 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Re: Only Neo-Pagan in the family? - October 22nd 2012, 04:55 PM

You can tell them that I'm a famous Pagan, I'm a Marine

Honestly, our religion has received a lot of shit in the past 70 years due to Adolf Hitler. However, any religion has its issues and such. Crusades, anyone? Anyway. Keep researching into it Its a great religion and I live by it though I follow more Norse then Neo.

Closed Thread