TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
entangledmind Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sarah
Location: the dark abiss of my mind. the only place left untouched by unwanted company

Angry My view of Christianity vs. My Parents view - October 29th 2012, 11:18 PM

I'm not going to go all into description but I'll touch the surface because I need help and don't know what to do. I think it's best to clarify my age. I'm fifteen. I live in CA. Most importantly too is that I'm homeschooled. I appreciate that some people have told me to go to a school councilor but unfortunately I can't do that.
So to the point I'm from a Christian background, my parents are Christian. However as I've been getting older I'm beginning to have my own interpretations of what the Bible means and etc. Before there wasn't much of a problem with this but now I'm asking for more things (like a relationship for example) and my parents and I are having different views.
Now before all this happened I started sensing it a little and immediately asked my mom once if I was open to my own opinion and she said most definitely. But now that I do they keep telling me I'm under there house rules and have to obey them and only them.
I use scriptural back up to show them where I'm coming from and why I think things are all right but they persist to ignore what I say or they really do try to convince me otherwise of my belief.
Now I understand that I am still under there house and rules and are to obey them but I'm barely allowed to have my individual thoughts.
I literally brought the very matter up to them but I was disregarded. I don't know what to do.

I tell people i'm
tired. But in reality

i'm just sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-4wU...C66B1A12A9745D

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted

(#2 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: My view of Christianity vs. My Parents view - October 29th 2012, 11:59 PM

I've moved this over to Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy, you'll get better responses over here.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
broncos758 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rob

Re: My view of Christianity vs. My Parents view - October 30th 2012, 12:14 AM

I would say this is probably pretty normal for teenagers and parents. You want to do more and they won't let you. I was pretty much not allowed to do anything until I was 17 or so. You can't bend the meaning of scripture to fit whatever situation you're in, and it's up to your parents to decide what they allow you to do. On one side it's boring and lame that you can't do stuff, but be thankful that you have parents that care about where you are and what you're doing. When they do give you the opportunity to do something though make sure you make responsible decisions. You can PM me if you want.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: My view of Christianity vs. My Parents view - October 31st 2012, 01:39 PM

I just read this bible verse yesterday: "Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority, or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right. For such is the will of God that by doing right you may silence the ignorance of foolish men." -1 Peter 2:13-15 and "Servants, be submissive to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and gentle, but also to those who are unreasonable." -1 Peter 2:18

In other words: obey and respect authority even if they are unreasonable. They are still your parents. Even if they are too strict and don't let you decide things for yourself, God will bless you later for putting up with it.

Now, if they are telling you to believe something that isn't true or telling you to do something sinful, that is different and you shouldn't obey that. But, if they are just strict and putting too many rules on you that you don't think are nessicary or required by God, obey them anyways and trust that God will bless you for putting up with it. I have to do that a lot and I know it's hard. If you don't feel strong enough to do that, ask for God's help. Psalm 46:1 says that He is abundantly available to help us when we need it. He is our strength; we shouldn't try to fight hard battles on our own.

Matthew chapter 5 talks about people who are persecuted, broken hearted, etc. It basically says that as long as you are following God, you are blessed and are on the right path, reguardless of what you have to face along the way. It calls the broken hearted and persecuted people BLESSED!!! They are blessed because God is on their side, even when they are facing these trials. I don't know details about your situation to know if you are right about the things you were trying to convince your parents about...but either way, their rules are their rules. As long as they aren't telling you to sin and believe lies, you have to obey them.

I hope this helps.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Average Joe

Name: Melissa

Re: My view of Christianity vs. My Parents view - October 31st 2012, 03:02 PM

I think you should form interpretations of the Bible, but not just any interpretations, find what God is really trying get across to you. Pray and ask. Find the truth, don't just morf it into what you want it to be, just remember that. And I think it's good that you are questioning things, it's helping you learn to think for yourself and that is going to give you the ability to find truth. But dont just question it and leave it at that, study it out, learn, pray and find answers. Your parents cant keep you from doing those things but I hate to say it but somethings you are just going to have to put up with when it comes to them, a lesson I wish I would have learned a long time ago is to bite your tongue, there is no use bible bashing with your parents, it's like beating your head against a brick wall....it doenst do a lot of good. But hold on to what you find to be true, its will bless you in the long run. I hope this helped, feel free to PM me

(#6 (permalink)) Old
FallingForGrace Offline
Person You Can Count On
Average Joe

Name: Kandi

Re: My view of Christianity vs. My Parents view - October 31st 2012, 09:44 PM

People interpret the Bible differently, this is why you need to read it yourself and pray to God for him to show you what he wants you to know. Your parents may be right, they may be wrong. I know older Christians who have accounts in which their parents were completely mislead into believing things that the Bible didn't speak of, by their preachers. So, it's up to you to find out for yourself. The best thing you can do, is know your own truths by what God tells you. But, could you give us an example of what you mean? What is a topic you guys disagree on and what does it pertain to?

No matter what, I am here for you.
  Send a message via Yahoo to FallingForGrace Send a message via Skype™ to FallingForGrace 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Zen Ryochan Offline
Love and Tolerate
Average Joe

Name: Ryan

Re: My view of Christianity vs. My Parents view - November 1st 2012, 12:13 AM

Welcome to christianity 101... you're not allowed to have any view that is different than whatever your parents already believe no matter if it's scriptural or not. I went through the same thing with my parents. Just hold onto yourself for now, it'll get better eventually. Someday you will be able to fully grow but for now you'll have to put up with them... You can pm me anytime if you need it.

"To suspect your own mortality is to know the beginning of terror; to learn irrefutably that you are mortal is to know the end of terror." -Frank Herbert

“To love our enemy is impossible. The moment we understand our enemy, we feel compassion towards him or her, and he or she is no longer our enemy.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: My view of Christianity vs. My Parents view - November 1st 2012, 12:31 AM

Hey there, I'm in the same boat with my mother. I quote Ephesians 6:4 to her, Father's, do not exasperate your children; instead bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.
This one pretty much sums it up, but also just the first 4 verses in chapter 6. We have to honour our parents, and of course they are entitled to their opinion as much as you are as well. I hate my mum but I still honour her. I like this: Honour publicly, influences honour privately. So, instead of making it a big deal if out in publi or in church and you have an argueable point to make to what your parents say, smile through it and confront them privately, telling them what you thought. I have different opinions about many things my mum says, she's more religious than Christian and I dispute her on many matters considering the bible.

But, quote Ephesians and show them that you must show honour to younger as well as older, that it's not just "respect your elders" but "respect everybody around you".

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: My view of Christianity vs. My Parents view - November 1st 2012, 04:21 PM

You're still free to think, whether or not your behavior is currently under their rules. Nobody owns your mind.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: My view of Christianity vs. My Parents view - November 3rd 2012, 05:03 PM

Commit thought-crime.

You don't have to bring up every detail to your parents, so just do what you want, and don't talk to them about the parts you don't want to. Think for yourself.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Ceinwyn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Isobel
Location: I'm a free spirit yo... Just haven't found the way out of leicester yet

Re: My view of Christianity vs. My Parents view - November 13th 2012, 11:46 PM

Ok, the way I see it is as follows. Faith is personal to you. There are lots of different ways to interperate the Bible (or any holy texts for that matter). I don't believe God minds how you interperate it, just so long as you stay true to that interperatation.

For example, My grandparents use various bits from the bible to condemn Homosexuality. I however, am perfectly capable of using bible quotes to support it. Both of us are true to our interperatations, and I don't think that God is going to choose one of us over the other when we are both staying true to how WE see things.

So, I think it's perfectly fine for your view to differ from your parents, just so long as a) you stick to it, and aren't just manipulating the bible. and b) you respect that their interperataions are different from yours

Women are women, regardless of sex,
and men are men, in the same respects.

You can be both, or a mix of the two,
or you can be neither, if that's what suits you.

But people are people, whatever their parts,
because what really matters, is inside of our hearts.

*Some poem I found on the internet*

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: My view of Christianity vs. My Parents view - November 14th 2012, 12:19 AM

Hi,

You have a right to view the Bible how you want it, so long as you are interpreting it and following it the way God watns you to.
However, you do not have the right to disrespect your parents and should treat them with compassion and follow their rules.
Whether you like it or not, it is annoying or not and you think they are just being stupid religious freaks and overprotective, they are your parents and have good intentions. You may not see those because you are changing and you are wanting to explore things more and do more things, this is fine however you have rules and restrictions for a reason and maybe asking them to explain why you cannot do something will help. Get their opinion and put it next to what you think and why and maybe that will help with you being more understanding and not make you so upset. They are not out to get you, they just want to protect you and all parents should be like that...do not take their restrictions on letting you be in a relationship (which it appears this is about) so dreadfully because later on in life you may be thankful you had those restrictions. Think of this time as time for you to grow, find out more about yourself, build lasting friendships and worry about what is most important in life right now, most likely schooling. You have plenty of years when you are an adult and on your own to date and be with someone etc.
Try to enjoy this freedom to be an individual on your own and do your best to cherish every second of it because relationships can get really complicated and stressful and should only be attempted when you know God is ready for you to be in that place.
Pray about all of this and ask God to help you and do his will, sometimes his will is not what we want however, everything we are put through good or bad is his will and will have positive results in the end.
Hopefully this helps and you can PM me if you ever need anything.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread