TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tapanga Paige Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rikki Heyman

Religiously Affiliated Colleges/Universities..thoughts?? - November 16th 2012, 04:41 AM

I'm currently in a state of application to a couple different school and dealing with tons of what ifs and scholarship blah blah...My number one choice at them moment is Dakota Wesleyan University I was just wondering if anyone is or has attended a religiously affiliated school and how you about the expierence and atmoshpere and everything thanks!

<3 RAWR<3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Religiously Affiliated Colleges/Universities..thoughts?? - November 16th 2012, 05:15 AM

I know friends who have. I would say if you're religious, do it. If not, really look into the school before deciding on that. If it's great in the program you want then consider it, but if it's not, then you might want to consider a public school because it will most likely be more cost efficient and correlate with more of your values.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Religiously Affiliated Colleges/Universities..thoughts?? - November 16th 2012, 05:37 AM

I go to a religious school and I love it. One of the things you might want to look into is how religious the school actually is. For example, my school is openly Christian, requires students to attend 15 chapels a semester, and take 9 units of Christian studies classes. Other schools have a religious affiliation, but don't do much to make their students fall into that. It just depends on the school. If the program you're looking for is solid at the school you're looking at, then go for it. Also, try to look into scholarships if you do decide to go to a religious school. Some of them are really generous and could really help cut the cost of tuition and fees. If you have really specific questions about anything, feel free to message me! I'll do my best to help you out.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ceinwyn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Isobel
Location: I'm a free spirit yo... Just haven't found the way out of leicester yet

Re: Religiously Affiliated Colleges/Universities..thoughts?? - November 16th 2012, 11:03 AM

I've not been to a religious school (unless you count my primary school having a daily prayer). I think that, end of the day, the most important thing when choosing a school is not necesserily the cirriculum, it's how comfotable you think the school will make you feel.

When i was in sixth form, my subjects were great and I found them fascinating. However, I hated my school and by halfway through my last year I didn't feel comfortable there, even when I had all my mates with me and what not. Because of this, My grades crashed and I ended up failing one of my classes completely.

So, I would say that, if you feel like you could fit into a religious school then certainly give it thought, but don't go there just for the cirriculum

Women are women, regardless of sex,
and men are men, in the same respects.

You can be both, or a mix of the two,
or you can be neither, if that's what suits you.

But people are people, whatever their parts,
because what really matters, is inside of our hearts.

*Some poem I found on the internet*

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Religiously Affiliated Colleges/Universities..thoughts?? - November 16th 2012, 11:11 AM

Hey there,

I am already looking into theology universities/colleges since I'd like to learn as much as I can, it's interesting. Anyway, I think it all depends on whether you like what they offer, and what you are looking for in a school, whether the people are nice or that you'll fit in

Good luck,

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
snappydog Offline
Whimsical Nocturne
Average Joe

Name: Chris

Re: Religiously Affiliated Colleges/Universities..thoughts?? - November 16th 2012, 03:29 PM

I went to a Church of England secondary school (I'm a Brit) and... well, I was agnostic when I started, became a Christian about halfway through and then flipped back to being an atheist. I ascribe both of those changes to the school - I went Christian because I quite liked the school, but then became an atheist after learning some more about Christianity through Christian organisations at the school. So... I would say it just depends on the curriculum and how good you think you'll feel there - hopefully they'll be willing to accept you whatever religion you are and stuff.

It's no surprise that you'll soon forget about me

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Religiously Affiliated Colleges/Universities..thoughts?? - November 18th 2012, 01:40 AM

I think that this depends on your religion and what you intend to take and if it is based heavily on Christian values or not.

Going to a secular school might be easier depending on what you want to get out of your education. But some secular schools even have theology departments, my university is secular but has a seminary because when my school originally started it WAS a seminary and only that and then just expanded into a full blown university.

So I think you need ot ask yourself what oyu want to get out of your education

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Religiously Affiliated Colleges/Universities..thoughts?? - November 19th 2012, 05:31 PM

I think my school was religiously affiliated, but they didn't require any kind of religious study or classes if you didn't want to take them. There were churches around every corner, but I was never made to feel uncomfortable as a non-religous person. Maybe that's unusual.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Tapanga Paige Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rikki Heyman

Re: Religiously Affiliated Colleges/Universities..thoughts?? - November 20th 2012, 07:27 PM

Thank you all!

I was raised in a very athiest household, making any religious decision very difficult on my part, however recently I have found myself turning more and more tward Christianity. I applied to, and have a pretty high likelyhood of being addmitted to Dakota Wesleyan University, in South Dakota. I don't identify specifically with any facet of christianity such as Wesleyan or Baptist or anything however the school is open to all forms of belief or lack there of. They have a campus ministry and many opportunities in areas such as community service and small group bible study, without requiring any religion based course study. I'm mostly attracted to the school because of its amazing carreer placement after graduation, internship opportunities, and great Psychology program. It also has a very small student population of only about 850 which is a big bonus for a girl from a tiny rural community.

<3 RAWR<3

Closed Thread