TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Terry Offline
Canadian Bacon
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Terry's Avatar
 
Name: Terry
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Location: Canada

Posts: 367
Join Date: May 29th 2009

Sexuality and religious guilt. - November 16th 2012, 09:04 AM

I'm not looking to start an argument, but am I honestly the only person who finds it truly depressing that there are often threads where users are clearly emotionally distraught by the fact they engaged in some form of sexual activity and then feel tremendous guilt through whatever religion over a completely natural need for intimacy and sexual exploration? People are brought up to genuinely feel terrible and ashamed of themselves in regards to this essential part to the growth of our species and psychologically built-in need. I can't tell you how many times I've read a thread and have been genuinely infuriated by this whole issue. People can very easily not just sleep around without religion, so this is not a proper excuse for the kind of emotional distress this whole stupid fucking type of mindset instills on people's children and I find it genuinely repulsive that anyone would purposely spew this nonsense to their child.

This is quite literally just a venting post so if anyone actually wants to take exception to the post feel free to but know that I won't be responding, as this is not a matter of debate but of personal individual morality.

/rant


Self pity will not rescue you.
Sometimes we have to save our own lives,
not because no one else cares, but because no one else can.

Life for you has been less than kind
So take a number, stand in line
We've all been sorry, we've all been hurt
But how we survive is what makes us who we are.

Dreamed up the maps, give me the charcoal and the paper
We invent paths they cannot see, and they're too scared to walk


Only after disaster can we be resurrected. It's only after you've lost everything that you are free to do anything.
   
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ceinwyn Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Ceinwyn's Avatar
 
Name: Isobel
Age: 25
Gender: MtF
Location: I'm a free spirit yo... Just haven't found the way out of leicester yet

Posts: 340
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: July 21st 2012

Re: Sexuality and religious guilt. - November 16th 2012, 10:54 AM

Honestly, it annoys me as well sometimes. That said, a lot of religions first developed in a time when these things were far less socially acceptable. So, whereas some people are developing on it to make it fit with todays society, some aren't. I guess it all comes down to whether ot nor religion should adat itself to fit today, for example, developing the idea of no sex before marriage to something like, no sex, unless it with someone you love and are deeply comitted to. This is 'cause, even in religious communties, statisics suggest that the amount of marriage is declining.

And, if they can't adapt, is their inability to do so going to eventually cause the end of these religons?

Disclaimer, I'm not saying that religions such as christianity don't fit in with socieity and should be scrapped


Women are women, regardless of sex,
and men are men, in the same respects.

You can be both, or a mix of the two,
or you can be neither, if that's what suits you.

But people are people, whatever their parts,
because what really matters, is inside of our hearts.

*Some poem I found on the internet*
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Validity's Avatar
 
Name: Jay
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Posts: 2,459
Blog Entries: 23
Join Date: August 23rd 2012

Re: Sexuality and religious guilt. - November 16th 2012, 10:59 AM

Hey there, I'm christian and bi and I hate people always thinking God does frown upon this. Yes, he talks about sexual immorality on the bible, but it isn't like he will "smite" us. He is a loving, forgiving God. Religion makes a much bigger deal with this, whereas it was only mentioned in the bible less than five times (I think, maybe more, don't know)...

Jay.


Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Always *'s Avatar
 
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Hogwarts

Posts: 3,186
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: April 12th 2012

Re: Sexuality and religious guilt. - November 18th 2012, 02:19 AM

I couldn't agree more. And to top it off (just using the bible here) I think that people fail to contextualize the time it was written. In like 0-100 CE (common era, same thing as AD) if you had sex you were risking getting knocked up in a heavily patriarchal society where women had little means to support themselves and a baby. The conventions on marriage were much different than now, where if you had a baby outside of marriage it is plausible to support yourself. It's little things like that, where I think people assume that what was written in the Bible is supposed to be literal 100% of the time. Plus there is the matter of where it's men wanting their women to be "pure" and "all theirs", which is a REALLY old patriarchal view. In any case, I don't think that guilt about a pre-marital sexual act is necessary. It's really hard for me when people blame their guilt on Christianity, I know how the religion got to there, but to me it's just an old view that could stand to be revised. And not all Christians are going to be against pre marital sex. And then I think that it's a sex-shaming too, so even within "appropriate bounds" or if a person thinks they can have pre-marital sex or what have you then there tends to be a lot of guilt when it comes to sexuality, a lot of people never end up being educated and they find the idea of birth control, condoms and blow jobs terrifying and they don't know how to talk about it. And like what if you are gay? Because the "rules" in religions like Christianity tend to be much more challenging to work around. I see people finding it much easier to dismiss guilt with pre-marital sex within a committed relationship (or else wise) by just looking at it a different way in the Bible. But I find people A LOT less forgiving when it comes to homosexuality. Especially when people try to blow it off as a "choice". Wouldn't any "good Christian" NOT be gay if they could truly choose and if it was ACTUALLY something that deserved to be condemned if that's the logic that can be used? It's not that simple. And then there are the people who should say you should just "hide it and not act on the feelings, be with a women, then you aren't living in sin" and it's like, well, yeah, actually, if you are really gay and you marry someone of the opposite sex then you are living a lie, which I could theoretically say if you want to rank "sins" lying is definitely one and homosexuality is about 10 000 miles away from ever being reasonably considered in my mind.
Any ways... Uh so I think i should just stop this here. You have provided a centre for me to combine my biblical/Christian knowledge and sociological views. All I COULD say without going farther than the bible would be a VERY long thing to read. If I had to I'd start pulling up literature and I could write a book haha... This is definitely an issue I feel strongly about... But I don't want anyone to feel offended so...
But last point, interestingly enough, I think this just happened in Nepal? Maybe Thailand. But it was the first lesbian marriage. A Buddhist monk was saying that there isn't actually anything in their writing that prohibits homosexuality. This tends to be a predominantly Abrahamic belief. But incidentally I have also heard of people being killed or imprisoned in India for being gay and I cannot help but wonder if this was always something that happened OR if it was a "left over" effect of the Moghul presence in India, the Moghuls being an Islamic empire that ruled India in the 1500's, so I was thinking that maybe (like other Abrahamic religions) the Muslims said "no, bad", disallowed it, and then the Indian culture just held onto this, it happens when a country is under colonial power--it could also have come in through Christianity with the Brits, but they didn't roll in until the 1800's so it's hard to say... Of course, in countries like India (and many others) it is common for people to react more violently towards things like homosexuality than in a country like Canada or Britain where even if you get harassed your not actually going to be killed for it (or if you are it's NOT ok because at least there are discrimination laws that prohibit harassment based on things like sexual preferences)




Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Last edited by Always *; November 18th 2012 at 02:28 AM.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Daivia's Avatar
 
Name: Maeve
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: The Peach State

Posts: 878
Blog Entries: 13
Join Date: July 30th 2011

Re: Sexuality and religious guilt. - November 18th 2012, 02:26 AM

What stuck out about the post above is that it revolves around becoming pregnant outside of marriage, but what truly bothers me about the religious sexual fears is the absolute paranoia that masturbation is dirty unhealthy sin.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Always *'s Avatar
 
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Hogwarts

Posts: 3,186
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: April 12th 2012

Re: Sexuality and religious guilt. - November 18th 2012, 02:34 AM

Yeah, I thought of that too... I find it interesting that something like masturbation is considered dirty in Christianity, there isn't the same fixation on purity as there is found in, say, Hinduism... I have often wondered where that idea comes out of in Christianity. I can think of many sources for the origination of this thought but it's hard to be certain. Because there is really nothing to support anything outside of literal sex and homosexuality the Bible, so that can't be the sourcing for the opinion. But I have often wondered that if through some thought process where people just shame sex if maybe it just grew from there. I have often wondered about Catholicism as the origins of this, as well as maybe the Puritans and other such extreme ends also dragging it out (which if I remember correctly are actually derived more of the Protestant era where they were to extreme and left England for America).




Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict
************
 
Coffee.'s Avatar
 
Name: Traci
Age: 26
Gender: she/her/hers
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 8,147
Blog Entries: 639
Join Date: October 29th 2009

Re: Sexuality and religious guilt. - November 18th 2012, 09:45 AM

I could not believe in a religion that repressed something that just makes me human. To me, that makes absolutely no sense. It's even odder that many religions are encouraged to procreate but sex is seen as something repulsive and sinful. How is the creation of creation, the creation of the fetuses that are so much more important than the ones carrying them, and the creation of more child soldiers for conversion disgusting? So much hypocrisy and inconsistency.


I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough
*********
 
dr2005's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Posts: 2,221
Join Date: February 14th 2010

Re: Sexuality and religious guilt. - November 18th 2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmeralda View Post
What stuck out about the post above is that it revolves around becoming pregnant outside of marriage, but what truly bothers me about the religious sexual fears is the absolute paranoia that masturbation is dirty unhealthy sin.
Speaking as a member of a religion which regards masturbation as sinful (Roman Catholicism for those who haven't guessed already), I think a bit of context is in order. It isn't so much the fact that it's a sexual act which causes problems, but the fact that it an inherently self-centred, entirely selfish act. Sex is regarded within the Church as a gift from God, and one which is to be shared with one's partner both for procreation and as an expression of unconditional love and unity (to paraphrase the Catechism liberally). Masturbation, being focused purely on the needs and desires of one person (such as "it makes me feel good") to the exclusion of all others, is inherently at odds with that. You could, of course, argue that there are some circumstances in which it isn't to the exclusion of all others, but in such circumstances it's either in the context of intercourse with another or it's something like webcam shows and the like. The first one may be fine, but the second simply moves onto treating people like objects for gratification and is therefore seen by the Church as undermining the basic human dignity of the individual. Whether those involved consent to it is immaterial - they are not treated as people in the way commonly understood, but instead as a means of (for want of a better way of putting it) getting off. That may be of no concern whatsoever to some, or perhaps even a majority, but as the Church is focused on sustaining family life and the relationships therein it's pretty self-evident this is going to be a problem for them. It's the motivation for the act, rather than the act itself, which the Church takes issue with.

It's also worth pointing out that even though the Church does regard it as a sin, we're hardly talking about it being regarded in the same way as murder. The Church does draw some distinctions at least...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterpiece View Post
I could not believe in a religion that repressed something that just makes me human. To me, that makes absolutely no sense. It's even odder that many religions are encouraged to procreate but sex is seen as something repulsive and sinful. How is the creation of creation, the creation of the fetuses that are so much more important than the ones carrying them, and the creation of more child soldiers for conversion disgusting? So much hypocrisy and inconsistency.
A few points in reply, if you'll permit me.

1) Sex isn't seen as repulsive and sinful - I'm also tempted to call this an urban legend, as it's completely at odds with my own experience of the Church's attitude to sex (and the Catholic Church is one of the more conservative ones, after all). It's how people use sex, and more importantly how they treat people within their sex lives and their motivations for it, that the Church takes issue with. Again, it's the selfishness inherent in some forms of behaviour which comes a cropper.
2) The foetus isn't regarded as being "so much more important than the ones carrying them" - it's more that the Church actually regards them as having equal importance in the first place. One of the downsides of abortion policy as currently exists in most countries (most countries that have one, anyway) is that the foetus is relegated to a position of having no legal status and no individual identity whatsoever - it is, for all intents and purposes, treated as a part of the mother which can be removed if required. Even appealing to science alone, that's a questionable conclusion to draw.
3) I have never, in the course of 25 years of life on this mortal coil, been a "child soldier" or indeed a "soldier" of any kind for my faith. I am not fighting a war, and I am not a zombie convert - I am an individual with my own unique personality, beliefs and life to lead. You are potentially opening up a sizeable can of worms there...


"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

Last edited by dr2005; November 18th 2012 at 12:51 PM.
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while
********
 
NevermindMe's Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 1,816
Join Date: March 8th 2011

Re: Sexuality and religious guilt. - November 21st 2012, 04:34 PM

Posted in the wrong thread. I'm a tool.


- Justin



"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

Last edited by NevermindMe; November 22nd 2012 at 02:25 AM.
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
FallingForGrace Offline
Person You Can Count On
Average Joe
***
 
FallingForGrace's Avatar
 
Name: Kandi
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Texas

Posts: 111
Join Date: September 1st 2012

Re: Sexuality and religious guilt. - November 21st 2012, 10:18 PM

I can tell you from my own personal experience that the Bible, tells you things for your own good. Oh man, how I wish that my first, second, third, fourth, or even fifth time, would have been ONLY with the man I'm going to be with for the rest of my life. I would also love to be his first. But since I already messed up, I would feel bad if I was his first. The Bible doesn't just say things for no reason. It's for our best.


No matter what, I am here for you.
  Send a message via Yahoo to FallingForGrace Send a message via Skype™ to FallingForGrace 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,668
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: Sexuality and religious guilt. - November 22nd 2012, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingForGrace View Post
I can tell you from my own personal experience that the Bible, tells you things for your own good. Oh man, how I wish that my first, second, third, fourth, or even fifth time, would have been ONLY with the man I'm going to be with for the rest of my life. I would also love to be his first. But since I already messed up, I would feel bad if I was his first. The Bible doesn't just say things for no reason. It's for our best.
Does that include forcing a woman to marry her rapist if she was a virgin?


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict
************
 
Coffee.'s Avatar
 
Name: Traci
Age: 26
Gender: she/her/hers
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 8,147
Blog Entries: 639
Join Date: October 29th 2009

Re: Sexuality and religious guilt. - November 22nd 2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post

A few points in reply, if you'll permit me.

1) Sex isn't seen as repulsive and sinful - I'm also tempted to call this an urban legend, as it's completely at odds with my own experience of the Church's attitude to sex (and the Catholic Church is one of the more conservative ones, after all). It's how people use sex, and more importantly how they treat people within their sex lives and their motivations for it, that the Church takes issue with. Again, it's the selfishness inherent in some forms of behaviour which comes a cropper.
2) The foetus isn't regarded as being "so much more important than the ones carrying them" - it's more that the Church actually regards them as having equal importance in the first place. One of the downsides of abortion policy as currently exists in most countries (most countries that have one, anyway) is that the foetus is relegated to a position of having no legal status and no individual identity whatsoever - it is, for all intents and purposes, treated as a part of the mother which can be removed if required. Even appealing to science alone, that's a questionable conclusion to draw.
3) I have never, in the course of 25 years of life on this mortal coil, been a "child soldier" or indeed a "soldier" of any kind for my faith. I am not fighting a war, and I am not a zombie convert - I am an individual with my own unique personality, beliefs and life to lead. You are potentially opening up a sizeable can of worms there...
I admit that I was a bit angry when I wrote this post. I deal with a lot of negativity from my school against my volunteer organization because we teach safe sex, so I get somewhat angry about the subject, so I apologize if my first post was offensive, although I do not particularly take back anything I said.
1. I didn't particularly say Catholics. I said of specific religions. Christians (my definition: religions who use the bible. I don't care if people don't consider Catholics and Mormons Christians, take it up in another thread, they're Christians to me. ) vary a lot in their views of sexuality and some of them are a lot more negative than Catholics. However, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "motivations." I sense some slut-shaming bullshit here.
2. After hearing about that case in Ireland about a hospital allowing a woman to die to save a fetus that was dying in the first place, I can't really argue point for point on this, but I do not agree. People are people, and to me, a woman is more important than a bundle of cells. Simple as that. We can agree to disagree, I'm pro-choice as all get-out, that aint changing.
3. Once again, different religions. Catholics do not do as much missionary work. I feel as though Christianity encourages people to have kids in order to further spread the word of God and I do not appreciate this. The world is overpopulated as it is, we should not encourage child-bearing on account of your religion needing to be spread. But, once again, a bit off-topic of sexual repression.


I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran
*************
 
.:Bibliophile:.'s Avatar
 
Gender: Just me

Posts: 16,722
Blog Entries: 1770
Join Date: January 18th 2009

Re: Sexuality and religious guilt. - November 22nd 2012, 02:36 PM

I don't agree with it either. Here is why, I had a friend who got pregnant before marriage but she had been with the person for five years. They were planning on getting married when both graduated from college. Well, once she told her family that she was pregnant (very conservative christian family) they were not happy about it. And, to this day they hold it against her. I was recently having a conversation with this friends mom about marriage and what not and her exact words were: "It is up to you to do it the right way, none of this getting pregnant before marriage." It was obviously a dig at her daughter (who was, luckily, not around). A couple who had been together for 5 years and who waited at least 1 year - 2 years before actually taking that step in their relationship should not be condemned for having sex before marriage. In my opinion, they did it the smart way and waited to really get to know one another and make sure that each person felt comfortable taking that step. And, in my opinion I don't think it should take a piece of paper to make it 'okay' to have sex.

Now, taking this a step further, I don't think anyone should be condemned for having sex before marriage by anyone no matter how many times they do it or how long they have been with the person. It is their body and it is their choice and we cannot deny our sexuality. It is unhealthy to deny your own sexuality to the point of feel ashamed.

I think half the reason people feel ashamed when they do something like having sex before marriage is because they are taught that any type of exploration of their body is dirty. They are taught as young children to suppress their growing curiosity about sex. I honestly believe that this should not be the case. Yes, I think parents should talk to their kids about making wise decisions in regards to sex; wait a while until taking that leap, make sure you are entirely comfortable with the idea of having sex and having sex with that person. Encourage them to wait until they are older because they will have a higher sense of maturity but also let them know that if they are ever considering having sex they need to do so safely.

Lack of communication being told that any exploration in regards to sex is way to suppressing. I remember sitting in a church service and they were talking about how watching porn is terrible and it was their mission to instil in the younger generations at the church how 'bad' it was. I remember another friend talking to me about a church service in which the pastor said masturbation was wrong because it is like cheating on your future husband/wife etc. Suppressing these normal things is not at all natural. People need to know that these feelings are safe and natural.

That is the end of my rant.


|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
FallingForGrace Offline
Person You Can Count On
Average Joe
***
 
FallingForGrace's Avatar
 
Name: Kandi
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Texas

Posts: 111
Join Date: September 1st 2012

Re: Sexuality and religious guilt. - November 22nd 2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
Does that include forcing a woman to marry her rapist if she was a virgin?
Ok, seriously...it annoys me more than anything when people like to bring up things from the old testament and completely ignore the new testament. There is a reason for new and old, as in, out with the old and in with the new. There are many things that God himself said 'scratch that, that's not what is needed anymore'. Before, we as gentiles couldn't be saved...My point is, you well know the Bible would never ask someone to marry their rapist in this day and age. That is against the new teachings.


No matter what, I am here for you.
  Send a message via Yahoo to FallingForGrace Send a message via Skype™ to FallingForGrace 
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,668
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: Sexuality and religious guilt. - November 23rd 2012, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingForGrace View Post
Ok, seriously...it annoys me more than anything when people like to bring up things from the old testament and completely ignore the new testament. There is a reason for new and old, as in, out with the old and in with the new. There are many things that God himself said 'scratch that, that's not what is needed anymore'. Before, we as gentiles couldn't be saved...My point is, you well know the Bible would never ask someone to marry their rapist in this day and age. That is against the new teachings.
Oh right the New Testament that says that we can and should stone children to death who disobey their parents, because that's so much better than the rape thing. I'm sorry I just don't understand how a book that promotes the discrimination of people for something they have no control over is good for you in any way.


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Jack Lowden's Avatar
 
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: FOR IRAW!!! ;)

Posts: 3,936
Join Date: March 16th 2012

Re: Sexuality and religious guilt. - November 23rd 2012, 05:31 AM

First of all, I do agree that it's a bit sickening how guilted some people are about their sexuality or having sex before marriage. But then again, I was raised by non-religious parents who encouraged me to be smart & safe about sex rather than just waiting until marriage. So of course, my opinion is going to be different than someone who was raised by really religious parents & was taught that having sex before marriage or being gay would have consequences.

Now, sexuality aside (since I believe in equality & don't really believe in the bible), I understand how people who belong to certain religions believe the bible was written with our best interest at heart. A Christian friend once explained to me that whether you believe in religion or not, our decisions have consequences. Sure, you can have sex outside of marriage, but you may get an STI or an unplanned pregnancy. While that can still happen in marriage, it's a bit more problematic for people who aren't married.

But I'd also like to point out that the bible is outdated. I don't think it's fair to use the arguments "well the bible also says to stone your children" or whatever considering how much the times have changed. Just as I don't think it's fair when religious people say "the bible says don't have sex before marriage". As I've said, the bible was written with our best interest at heart. You can have sex outside of marriage, but that doesn't mean there won't be consequences. So honestly, I think everyone needs to cool it & stop going back & forth between "the bible says this" or "the bible is unreasonable because it says this". It's outdated & while it's still helpful in many ways to some people, it's not like that to everyone. If you believe in god, respect people who don't. That's what the bible says anyways, right? Or at least to be loving to your enemies & whatnot. If you don't believe in god, no need to argue with people who do. This isn't the debates forum. Anyways, end of rant.

But really Terry, I agree with you. I just believe it depends on each person though. Everyone is different.



   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough
*********
 
dr2005's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Posts: 2,221
Join Date: February 14th 2010

Re: Sexuality and religious guilt. - November 24th 2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterpiece View Post

I admit that I was a bit angry when I wrote this post. I deal with a lot of negativity from my school against my volunteer organization because we teach safe sex, so I get somewhat angry about the subject, so I apologize if my first post was offensive, although I do not particularly take back anything I said.
Hey, I've been around here long enough to know two things: 1) don't take offence and 2) don't expect anyone to take anything back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterpiece View Post
1. I didn't particularly say Catholics. I said of specific religions. Christians (my definition: religions who use the bible. I don't care if people don't consider Catholics and Mormons Christians, take it up in another thread, they're Christians to me. ) vary a lot in their views of sexuality and some of them are a lot more negative than Catholics.
If you'll permit me, you specifically referred to sex in your post rather than the wider issue of sexuality (notwithstanding the OP referring to the latter). Catholicism is arguably one of the denominations with the strictest views on sex overall (certainly more so than a lot of Protestant denominations), so I felt it was a valid example to use of why this may be a misleading comment to make. Likewise, Islam, Judaism and the majority of Eastern religions all place a high value in sex rather than regarding it as dirty - the Kama Sutra came from a Hindu country, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterpiece View Post
However, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "motivations." I sense some slut-shaming bullshit here.
In that case, I'm afraid your sense has left me very confused - that wasn't even REMOTELY what I meant, nor is it what the Church takes issue with. As I said in my previous post (not clearly enough, evidently), ANY sexual act by ANY person (male or female) which is done for selfish ends is viewed as being a bad thing, because sex is viewed as being an expression of love and unity with your partner. "Slut-shaming" doesn't come into it, and I'm slightly surprised you would throw such an accusation in my direction if I'm honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterpiece View Post
2. After hearing about that case in Ireland about a hospital allowing a woman to die to save a fetus that was dying in the first place, I can't really argue point for point on this, but I do not agree. People are people, and to me, a woman is more important than a bundle of cells. Simple as that. We can agree to disagree, I'm pro-choice as all get-out, that aint changing.
The case in Ireland is still being investigated, so I'm not going to presume to comment on it particularly given we've had one (understandably emotive) side of the story thus far. All I would say is that "personhood" is an entirely artificial legal fiction (I say this as someone training to be a lawyer) which is open to interpretation depending on individual perspective and circumstance, and so I place less weight in it than I do in the scientific aspects of this. To take your own wording, we're all bundles of cells at the end of the day, and I don't believe that one human being has the inherent right to override the right to exist of another human being at their choosing. But as you say, this is something we will have to agree to disagree on as I don't want to reignite this debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterpiece View Post
3. Once again, different religions. Catholics do not do as much missionary work. I feel as though Christianity encourages people to have kids in order to further spread the word of God and I do not appreciate this. The world is overpopulated as it is, we should not encourage child-bearing on account of your religion needing to be spread. But, once again, a bit off-topic of sexual repression.
That was my point - the remarks you threw into your post are all pretty off-topic and potentially inflammatory, so I questioned the merits of making them. Also, I've been to a fair few denominations in my time and I've never been encouraged to go forth and multiply so as to spread the word of God, so again I don't really understand where you're coming from with this. As you yourself will probably agree, people are going to have sex and have children regardless of religion's views on the matter, and whether the religious beliefs of the parents will pass onto the children is extremely debatable. So as a growth tactic it's pretty spurious.


"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

Last edited by dr2005; November 24th 2012 at 03:12 PM.
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
FallingForGrace Offline
Person You Can Count On
Average Joe
***
 
FallingForGrace's Avatar
 
Name: Kandi
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Texas

Posts: 111
Join Date: September 1st 2012

Re: Sexuality and religious guilt. - November 25th 2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
Oh right the New Testament that says that we can and should stone children to death who disobey their parents, because that's so much better than the rape thing. I'm sorry I just don't understand how a book that promotes the discrimination of people for something they have no control over is good for you in any way.
Please show me that verse in the NT because I have never seen it. All I've seen about children is that Jesus loves them.
But, if you speak of Deuteronomy, sorry to break it to you, but that's still in the Old Testament.


No matter what, I am here for you.
  Send a message via Yahoo to FallingForGrace Send a message via Skype™ to FallingForGrace 
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Daivia's Avatar
 
Name: Maeve
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: The Peach State

Posts: 878
Blog Entries: 13
Join Date: July 30th 2011

Re: Sexuality and religious guilt. - November 25th 2012, 07:34 PM

[quote=FallingForGrace;969385]Ok, seriously...it annoys me more than anything when people like to bring up things from the old testament and completely ignore the new testament. /QUOTE]

Oh yeah, there's kind of something important in the old testament, which I'm guessing you still believe... the ten commandments? I'm guessing those are still in effect? Or did Jesus get rid of those too? Oh wait, no.
Quote:
Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets, I have come not to abolish but to fulfill.
Matthew 5:17
   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
FallingForGrace Offline
Person You Can Count On
Average Joe
***
 
FallingForGrace's Avatar
 
Name: Kandi
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Texas

Posts: 111
Join Date: September 1st 2012

Re: Sexuality and religious guilt. - November 26th 2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, there's kind of something important in the old testament, which I'm guessing you still believe... the ten commandments? I'm guessing those are still in effect?


They are still important because Jesus made a point of speaking about them (individually) again in the NT. Not because they're in the OT or commandments. Many commandments are no longer relevant, and Jesus even said it (well, the disciples did because of Jesus) and the Ten Commandments were one of those that were not forgotten. They were mentioned again.


No matter what, I am here for you.
  Send a message via Yahoo to FallingForGrace Send a message via Skype™ to FallingForGrace 
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
byuhgirl Offline
Esther
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
byuhgirl's Avatar
 
Name: Esther
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Midwest

Posts: 29
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: November 26th 2012

Re: Sexuality and religious guilt. - December 4th 2012, 03:15 PM

Dudes what's up! Ok so I am so not going to start an argument, but i think it's healthy to hear multiple points of view. I grew up in two very different households, there was my mom's side: she is gay and has a partner and a completely do what you want person (with restrictions she was still my mom). Then there was my dad's house: the whole i'm Mormon (YES WE ARE CHRISTIANS HAHA) where things are a little more strict.

Ok so that's kind of a background, I understand both sides, but i'm going to speak about the more religious one first. I am LDS (part of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) we do believe that sex outside of marriage is wrong simply because we believe that it is such a spiritual connection with someone that it should only be between people that you truly love. With that said though I have done a lot of stuff with other guys and I actually talked to my Bishop about it (he's our church leader in my town). He didn't try to make me feel guilty or hate myself, but he tried to instead find out why I had the need to validate myself through other people. This is completely true of course, I do have that need to make everyone like me. The biggest part of our Church is that we all make mistakes and that we can be forgiven if we simply ask for forgiveness. Some people in our church might try to make you feel guilty, but that's not the doctrines of our church, that's the people.
Masterpiece: we are a religion that sends people on missions, but it's not in any way required. However, i know several people that went on missions and developed their true selves. It's amazing what leaving behind your whole world and focuses on God and serving does. When my best friend came home from his mission he was a completely different person, he was more mature, he loved serving everyone, and he was more care free. Going on a mission though is a completely voluntary act that you do not have to participate in.
Like i said earlier the biggest part of our religion is forgiveness. We find it best to live outside of ourselves and serve others. It's a works based religion that does require some sacrifices, but all of those sacrifices are really for our own benefit. I don't follow all of the rules now, but i know that when I did I was a much happier person.
I hope this doesn't sound super preachy I just know that a lot of people don't understand my religion so I wanted to explain a small bit so no one jumped down my throat. That's what usually ends up happening to me.

LOVE YUH!!!
   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Stephen100 Offline
Banned
Average Joe
***
 
Stephen100's Avatar
 

Posts: 105
Join Date: May 23rd 2012

Re: Sexuality and religious guilt. - December 8th 2012, 01:49 AM

There is nothing wrong with sex, but people can turn it into a perversion. Our current generation is probably the most sexually perverted generation in the history of the world. Having sex today is just like shaking hands. People just don't care. That's why there are so many STD's and so much infidelity and teenage pregnancies.

God does not bow to the arrogant whims of sinful people. Just because our modern culture is so tolerant of sin doesn't mean that God is going to change His mind on the seriousness of sin. Even lusting in your mind is a serious sin to God. Our minds should be pure. A holy God cannot condone sin, no matter what society says.

I'm not going to be politically correct. Those who don't accept Jesus as their Lord and do not repent of their sins WILL be cast into hell. Hell is a horrible place, with no relief. The choice is yours.
   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,668
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: Sexuality and religious guilt. - December 8th 2012, 02:34 AM

Hell is going to be full of the coolest people! I call a seat next to Kathy Griffin!


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Stephen100 Offline
Banned
Average Joe
***
 
Stephen100's Avatar
 

Posts: 105
Join Date: May 23rd 2012

Re: Sexuality and religious guilt. - December 8th 2012, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
Hell is going to be full of the coolest people! I call a seat next to Kathy Griffin!
Hell is a place of weeping. But I'm not going to waste my time debating about it. Each to their own.
   
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
CorrieUSMC's Avatar
 
Name: Corrie
Gender: Attack helicopter
Location: New York

Posts: 666
Join Date: August 26th 2012

Re: Sexuality and religious guilt. - December 8th 2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen100 View Post
There is nothing wrong with sex, but people can turn it into a perversion. Our current generation is probably the most sexually perverted generation in the history of the world. Having sex today is just like shaking hands. People just don't care. That's why there are so many STD's and so much infidelity and teenage pregnancies.

God does not bow to the arrogant whims of sinful people. Just because our modern culture is so tolerant of sin doesn't mean that God is going to change His mind on the seriousness of sin. Even lusting in your mind is a serious sin to God. Our minds should be pure. A holy God cannot condone sin, no matter what society says.

I'm not going to be politically correct. Those who don't accept Jesus as their Lord and do not repent of their sins WILL be cast into hell. Hell is a horrible place, with no relief. The choice is yours.
This generation is the most perverted? Lol what? Ever read history books? How 'bout the Roman Empire? The Empire that was almost BASED on Sex. "Oh we'll be having company soon, gather some good looking slaves if they wish to have at them" Oh yeah, we're the most perverted generation. BUT I'll be rocking out with Lucifer in Hell I guess playing some Iron Maiden. "6...6.6. The number of the beast!"


   
5 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Always *'s Avatar
 
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Hogwarts

Posts: 3,186
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: April 12th 2012

Re: Sexuality and religious guilt. - December 9th 2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
There is a reason for new and old, as in, out with the old and in with the new. There are many things that God himself said 'scratch that, that's not what is needed anymore'. Before, we as gentiles couldn't be saved...My point is, you well know the Bible would never ask someone to marry their rapist in this day and age. That is against the new teachings.
Actually, this is a misleading term. The "Old Testament" is actually the Torah (or part of it, there is a bunch of stuff in the Torah not included) or also called the Hebrew Bible and s still used by the Jews, it is commonly called the "Old Testament" simply because it is "older" and this does not mean outmoded or incorrect. And the "New Testament" is called that because it is "newer". The New Testament is just an extension of the Christian-accepted teachings. And in fact, until VERY recently a husband could rape his wife, there was no such thing as "rape" in a marriage when in fact there was, if a woman says "no" and the man forces it that's called rape, it isn't JUST for random strangers assaulting girls in parties or dark allies, most people know the person who raped them. So yes, you could have been married to a rapist and not been legally entitled to do anything about it.

Any ways, I mean, I find the problem here is simply what I call "sex shaming", it shames a woman on her period, yet with no period there is no ability to pass on life, it shames gay people, even though if was possible to teach people to NOT be gay it would have been taught it. And it says not to look at someone else's wife and have impure thoughts, well, how many times have YOU thought that a married man or woman is attractive? I'd call that an impure thought.

The regulation on sex, including masturbation, is the tendency to the guilt that some Christians feel (or at are taught to feel). But I don't think that there is anything wrong with "wanting" sex. It's not dirty. It's not wrong. I mean, I sort of think having sex with multiple people is sketch, but each to their wrong. Cheating is just plain wrong, but that's more the betrayal of trust than anything else. And who am I to judge any how. And let's face it, who are ANY of us to judge? I mean, there are somethings that deserve judgement (Hitler, Mussolini, the Rwandan genocide, that man who beat his wife, the parents who abused their children), but judgement is GODS job not ours, yet you see all these people running around judging others as to who has a right to do what in their sex lives and stuff like that




Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
guilt, religious, sexuality

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.