TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tapanga Paige Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rikki Heyman

Promise rings - November 23rd 2012, 12:30 AM

My boyfriend and I have been together for just over 2 years and just had a conversation about a promise ring and the next step in our relationship.I was just curious to hear your opinions about what a promise ring "promises" and how you feel about them and how they fit into a Christian lifestyle/relationship??

<3 RAWR<3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ceinwyn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Isobel
Location: I'm a free spirit yo... Just haven't found the way out of leicester yet

Re: Promise rings - November 23rd 2012, 06:46 PM

I would say that a promise ring itself isn't all that important, it's the promise it represents that is. And in that case I'll say what I say about any comitments like this, so long as you are true to yourself, and to eachother, then there is nothing the matter with it

If you want a promise ring, then that is intirely your choice and it's not our place to judge that

Women are women, regardless of sex,
and men are men, in the same respects.

You can be both, or a mix of the two,
or you can be neither, if that's what suits you.

But people are people, whatever their parts,
because what really matters, is inside of our hearts.

*Some poem I found on the internet*

(#3 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Promise rings - November 23rd 2012, 10:35 PM

Depending on how old you are, if the promise ring represents something similar to engagement, why not just get engaged?

If it's showing that you're remaining abstinent until marriage, well then, do you really need to have a piece of jewellery to show others that? It's your choice, but it's not something you need to advertise.

If you and your boyfriend are committing to each other, and you're below the legal to get engaged or whatever in your country, then same as before - you and your boyfriend know what's going on, why do you need to advertise it for the rest of the world?

Personally I believe that if there is something between you and someone else and God, then it doesn't need to be signified by a piece of jewellery. Engagement and marriage rings are different, in that they show other potential suitors that you're off the market. I don't believe that rings are necessary in other contexts.

It's a nice concept, I suppose, wearing a ring to show everyone what you believe or what you've committed to, but in my mind it's really not necessary.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Promise rings - November 24th 2012, 02:32 AM

I have a friend who has a promise ring but it does not pertain to her and a significant other seeing as she has no significant other. I asked her about the ring and she explained it was a promise to herself and God to abstain from sex until marriage. She went onto explain that the ring reminded her of this promise whenever she felt tempted.

Honestly, I don't think a promise ring is what keeps someone stay true to their significant other or to their desire to abstain from sex until marriage etc. I think it is the person that does that. However as my friend stated for some people the ring helps when/if they are tempted.

I honestly do not see anything wrong with you and your boyfriend having promise rings because that is what you believe in and that is the next step you want to take in the relationship.

I myself have had thoughts about getting a promise ring for myself. No one has to know the reason behind this promise ring but myself and God. Yeah, it is not necessary, of course, but it is a sym bol of my love/promise etc to God.
If you want it then get it don't let anyone stop you or make you feel bad for it no matter what they might say. Because, honestly, there are probably going to be people who will not agree with this decision and will make comments about it. I know another friend who had that happen.

Be true to yourself and no one else.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Last edited by .:Bibliophile:.; November 24th 2012 at 03:22 AM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: Promise rings - November 24th 2012, 04:06 AM

Depends on the kind of promise ring.

If it's the kind of promise ring that symbolizes a commitment to abstain from sex until marriage then I understand it a bit better. While I still find it strange to have one, I understand wanting to have the physical representation of that with you at all times as a symbolic token of that commitment.

However, I find promise rings among couples who have promised to stay and grow together to be over the top. Rings are symbolic and are exchanged for commitments of engagement and marriage/life commitment. They aren't really for a couple that isn't actively planning for either of those. The promise itself is of course special and important, but I think it presumptuous to wear a ring for it unless you are actually getting engaged.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Promise rings - November 24th 2012, 09:55 AM

Promise rings don't have to be religious. I gave one to my ex 4 months before they broke up with me. It wasn't for any religious reasons, just a way to say I loved her and was fully devoted to spending my life with her.
Don't think I'd do it again though.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
FallingForGrace Offline
Person You Can Count On
Average Joe

Name: Kandi

Re: Promise rings - November 25th 2012, 04:10 PM

Promise rings in the context of religion is a promise to God to stay pure until you marry. In terms of relationships, it's a promise to marry each other some day, but that marriage isn't in the near future.

No matter what, I am here for you.
  Send a message via Yahoo to FallingForGrace Send a message via Skype™ to FallingForGrace 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Promise rings - November 26th 2012, 04:08 AM

Honestly, to me, a promise ring is no different than an engagement ring- just cheaper. To me, both are a promise of marriage in the future. I guess a promise ring is more the promise of a marriage in the far off future and an engagement ring is a promise of a marriage in the near future. That's the only difference I see. I think that's what it is from a Godly perspective when talking about a romantic relationship. I mean, obviously there were no promise rings in the bible...but God made it clear in the bible that romantic relationships should be through marriage, so I would say that everything we do romantically should point twords marriage.

Closed Thread