TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tapanga Paige Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rikki Heyman

Christmas! - December 1st 2012, 03:03 AM

I was just thinking about the Holiday season and what it means to me . I was wondering how all of you here at TeenHelp feel about some of the "stipulations" about Christmas.
  • What do you think about people openly saying "Merry Christmas" vs "Happy Holidays"?
  • How do you feel about the economic/gift giving societal factor of Christmas?

<3 RAWR<3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Christmas! - December 1st 2012, 03:49 AM

What do you think about people openly saying "Merry Christmas" vs "Happy Holidays"?

This one comes up at my sister's job all the time, actually. My opinion on it is this. Sure they may not be the same religion as you, but be polite and say "Thank you" whether they say "Merry Christmas," "Happy Hanukkah", "Happy Holidays," or something else entirely. Nobody has to make a huge deal over saying Merry Christmas or anything else, it's not something to be offended over and I doubt anyone who says it is intending to bash your religion or beliefs. The world is too politically correct. The person could have said nothing or said something rude and walked away but they said something nice. Deal with it and move on. My sister has the same opinion as well.

How do you feel about the economic/gift giving societal factor of Christmas?

Gifts are nice. I doubt many people will disagree with me on that one. But are they needed to have a nice Christmas? Certainly not. Stores push buying things on us before Thanksgiving even starts. Christmas-oriented ads, get your loved one THIS for Christmas. No. It's not about that. Personally I just love spending the day with my parents, sister, and brother in law. Next year I'll enjoy spending it with my niece. I am sixteen and don't have a job. I can't afford to purchase people gifts. I will purchase my sister one this year, but my priority next year will be to get something nice for my niece. But, is my whole world going to be centered around giving her a gift? No. I'd rather just be with her and have fun with her. I'll love her dearly, and I'd hope that she wouldn't think differently when she gets old enough to understand. Togetherness matters most.

I hope this made sense. If not just ask and I will clarify.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: Christmas! - December 1st 2012, 04:11 AM

I prefer Happy Holidays because it is more inclusive of people who do not celebrate Christmas.

I don't give Christmas gifts nor do I ask for any. I've never celebrated Christmas with my family, nor do I want to. So I can't really speak to this issue.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Christmas! - December 2nd 2012, 02:18 PM

It's the time of year that I really hate political correctness. Most of the country celebrates Christmas, and many of those people aren't even Christian. I know some Jewish families that celebrate Christmas. It's not automatically a religious holiday. So there is no reason for anyone to be offended if someone says Merry Christmas. And what drives me even more insane is when you go into a store and see a sign that says "Holiday Trees" WTF! There is no such thing as a holiday tree, pretty sure you don't get an Easter Tree, or a Saint Patricks Days tree, it's a freakin Christmas tree so let's just call it that.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#5 (permalink)) Old
CountOnMe Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Christmas! - December 2nd 2012, 03:55 PM

I love christmas!! I love it when people say merry christmas... i dont really hear people say happy holidays. For me when that day somebody tells you that santa claus isnt real you kinda loose the spirit of christmas. But for me that isnt because i love seeing the joy of peoples faces when they open their present or the happy spirit when your putting up the christmas decorations and lights and tree. I love it!! And because i got a job this year as just turning sixteen I have bought presents for family so cant wait to see the joy on their faces when I hand it to them

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: Christmas! - December 3rd 2012, 01:00 PM

Watchtower, saying the Holidays has been in the vocabulary of the American people since at least the 50's (Home for the Holidays, for example, first recorded in 1954). I'm guessing that saying Happy Holidays became more in style when the country had to finally acknowledge that not everyone celebrates the season in which Christ was supposedly born in the same way.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
FallingForGrace Offline
Person You Can Count On
Average Joe

Name: Kandi

Re: Christmas! - December 3rd 2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
What do you think about people openly saying "Merry Christmas" vs "Happy Holidays"?

I don't care either way because when they say Happy Holidays to me, I know which Holiday they are speaking of for me. Christmas. I think it's a bit ridiculous, but if it makes people happy, why not?

Quote:
How do you feel about the economic/gift giving societal factor of Christmas?
Well, it's not the purpose of Christmas, but it's the one time of the year when people give, which is what Christ was all about. I personally love giving gifts just cause, but perhaps the gifts given should be less material and more emotional or physical.

No matter what, I am here for you.
  Send a message via Yahoo to FallingForGrace Send a message via Skype™ to FallingForGrace 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Watchtower Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chloe

Re: Christmas! - December 3rd 2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmeralda View Post

Watchtower, saying the Holidays has been in the vocabulary of the American people since at least the 50's (Home for the Holidays, for example, first recorded in 1954). I'm guessing that saying Happy Holidays became more in style when the country had to finally acknowledge that not everyone celebrates the season in which Christ was supposedly born in the same way.
I didn't know I would be misunderstood, I apologize.

~ Chloe
Feel free to PM me anytime.

My Blog: http://csullivanwatchtower.blogspot.com/
  Send a message via Yahoo to Watchtower  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Christmas! - December 3rd 2012, 04:50 PM

Most of the Christmas holiday is pagan traditions anyways, so I love it.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Christmas! - December 3rd 2012, 05:35 PM

My family raised me celebrating more of a solstice Christmas, so really, we were celebrating the holiday a few days before... Just on the 25th to be a "normal family."

I say Happy Holidays because I want to be inclusive. I do not care what is said to me.

I'm not a fan of the super-consumerism stuff. Thoughtful presents are nice, as they are any time of year, but Black Friday like consumerist crap makes me sick.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Christmas! - December 3rd 2012, 07:34 PM

For me, it kind of depends. If I'm at work, I'll usually say Happy Holidays to customers to remain inclusive. But, if it's anywhere else, I usually say Merry Christmas. I don't really care what people say to me.

Gifts are nice, but they aren't the reason for Christmas for me. I'm the type to tell people what I want if they ask, but I never go out of my way to make a "Christmas list" for people.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Vergil Offline
I am Jeff's Profile
Not a n00b

Re: Christmas! - December 3rd 2012, 10:07 PM

Like everyone else is saying, I don't like what the holidays have became. I'll be honest when I was younger I was one of those greedy materialistic kids. But as I got older I tended to not care if someone got me something. Anymore I just tell people if they want to get me something cash would be fine since I don't need anything.

And onto the whole Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays thing. I say Happy Holidays mainly because I tend to piss people off saying that

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Christmas! - December 4th 2012, 02:30 AM

I always say "Merry Christmas", because I am a Christian and am 100% positive of my Christian beliefs. I don't tolerate false religions (I still love the people, but hate their beliefs), so I don't care to tolerate the fact that some people don't beleive in Christ. I will say Merry Christmas to them anyways, because I know it's right even if they don't know.

However, I don't think saying "happy holidays" is exactly wrong either. There are other holidays around this time of year that aren't unbiblical. Hanukkah is completely biblical. Even though it's in the old testament, there is nothing wrong with still celebrating it today if you want to, as long as you know that Jesus is the Messiah. And I don't know much about Kwanzaa, but as far as I know it has nothing to do with a religion and is more about culture...so I don't see anything wrong with people celebrating that either. Not to mention that some people consider New Years Eve/Day a holiday. I know Christians who knows that Jesus is the only way who still choose to say "Happy Holidays", because they know that most of the other holidays around this time of year are perfectly fine too.

I personally stay away from "Happy Holidays" because I don't want to downgrade the importance of Christ and because I don't want to accidentally condone the Pagan holidays/festivals that take place around this time of year. I don't want people to think those are the holidays that I am referring to.

About gift giving, I think it's a nice idea, but it's often taken way too far. It's a nice way to spread God's love and show people that you care. It's a fun tradition full of love. But, I hate when people expect things and think that they deserve all of these gifts because it's Christmas. People get so caught up in gifts and stressed out by shopping (even going into debt to buy gifts!), that it's barely about Jesus any more. It's hard for me to enjoy Christmas sometimes because it's hard to stay focused on Christ. It takes a lot of discipline and focus to not let that happen to you. I know I've been guilty of it several times. When I have children, I do plan to buy them Christmas presents, but nowhere near as many as most kids in America get. I saw this idea on Pintrest where each child gets 4 gifts- "something they want, something they need, something to wear, and something to read" (it rhymes if you read it the right way )...plus whatever gifts friends and distant family members give them.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Christmas! - December 4th 2012, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
I personally stay away from "Happy Holidays" because I don't want to downgrade the importance of Christ and because I don't want to accidentally condone the Pagan holidays/festivals that take place around this time of year. I don't want people to think those are the holidays that I am referring to.
You are aware that Christmas is based on a pagan ritual right? Pagans used to celebrate Saturnalia from Dec 17-25. They would close the courts and basically break the law with no consequences for the week and then on the last day sacrifice someone. In order to convert more pagans Christians told them they could still celebrate Saturnalia as Christians, but since there was nothing Christian aboutSaturnalia they named the last day of it, December 25th as Jesus's birthday. The tradition of the Christmas tree comes from pagan beliefs, and Saint Nicholas was a saint that created a cult that was later adopted by pagans. So Christmas isn't actually about Jesus at all, that was just something they stuck in there to get pagans to convert.

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Lumos. Offline
Used to be Don'tForget
I can't get enough

Name: Dionna

Re: Christmas! - December 4th 2012, 04:58 AM

I would rather say Happy Holidays, for consideration of other religions. Like myself i am not christian so i don't think of it that way, but i respect the people who are. I think its a time of being with family, but the presents aren't bad.

From day one I talked about getting out
But not forgetting about
How all my worst fears are letting out
He said, "Why put a new address on the same old loneliness?"
When breathing just passes the time
Until we all just get old and die
  Send a message via Skype™ to Lumos. 
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Butters Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Christmas! - December 4th 2012, 06:50 AM

I prefer to say happy solstice and merry christmas. I celebrate both, and the pagen festival is actually based on the earth not on breaking the law.. although whoever said it is right in saying that christmas was put in place to convert/stop the pagen festival. The pagen festival is about celebrating the earth and the days getting longer (winter solstice/shortest day of the year is 20/21st december).

I do have friends who either do not celebrate so I say happy holidays, because well, we don't have uni for about 5 weeks. but generally I say happy solstice and merry christmas. My christian friends say to me happy solstice too.

On the gift giving, I don't care for it, why get stressed out and broke for 4 months of the year to give presents, in our family we're only giving presents to immediate family and then the children, everyone else can go suck a lemon lol. I prefer that my mum spend money on me when I need it rather than give me some useless rubbish to open on xmas day, I've already had my xmas present from her it doesn't have to be given at xmas. I'm sorry, but christmas really has lost most of its supposed meaning, christ wasn't even born in december damnit..

sorry huge rant xD.

happy christmas and solstice everyone.

My spelling is terrible, so I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes in my posts

(#17 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Christmas! - December 4th 2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
I prefer to say happy solstice and merry christmas. I celebrate both, and the pagen festival is actually based on the earth not on breaking the law.. although whoever said it is right in saying that christmas was put in place to convert/stop the pagen festival. The pagen festival is about celebrating the earth and the days getting longer (winter solstice/shortest day of the year is 20/21st december).
Yes you are right the general pagan celebration this time of year is solstice. It was specifically Roman pagans that celebrated Saturnalia, which is what I described.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Christmas! - December 4th 2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
Yes you are right the general pagan celebration this time of year is solstice. It was specifically Roman pagans that celebrated Saturnalia, which is what I described.
I was going to say that sounded like the Romans. Celtic solstice celebration had much less anarchy.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Christmas! - December 4th 2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
You are aware that Christmas is based on a pagan ritual right? Pagans used to celebrate Saturnalia from Dec 17-25. They would close the courts and basically break the law with no consequences for the week and then on the last day sacrifice someone. In order to convert more pagans Christians told them they could still celebrate Saturnalia as Christians, but since there was nothing Christian aboutSaturnalia they named the last day of it, December 25th as Jesus's birthday. The tradition of the Christmas tree comes from pagan beliefs, and Saint Nicholas was a saint that created a cult that was later adopted by pagans. So Christmas isn't actually about Jesus at all, that was just something they stuck in there to get pagans to convert.
The Christas holiday originated from a Pagan rituel, yes. However, Chist's birth didn't. So, I try to use this as a time to really focus on Christ's birth adn leave out the Pagan originated parts of the holiday. No Santa for my future children, no tree (well, I live with my parents so there is one in my house right now, but there won't be once I have my own house), etc. There will be gifts and Chrsitmas music, because even if the Pagans had gifts and music, they weren't the ones to invent those things. Gift giving and worship music are biblical. For me, I celebrate Christmas by spending my bible study time reading about Christ's birth, learning about Christ's birth in church, sharing the good news with others even more than usual, giving gifts to show love, etc. And yes I celebrate it on December 25, only because it would be kind of hard to get ALL of my friends and family from all over the country to be free to get together and celebrate on the same day any other time of the year. God knows my heart and knows that I am not celebrating a Pagan holiday.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Butters Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Christmas! - December 4th 2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Learn something new every day I don't know a huge amount about the pagen festival really. I've celebrated the solsitces and been to Stone henge, although in my current memory state I am not sure if I ever got to see the sun shining between the stones as it should lol.. but beautiful and a very wonderful experience

My spelling is terrible, so I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes in my posts

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Zen Ryochan Offline
Love and Tolerate
Average Joe

Name: Ryan

Re: Christmas! - December 6th 2012, 06:05 PM

I don't like merry christmas (it's completely inaccurate) and yet I don't like happy holidays either. I celebrate the solstice.

Gift giving is a wonderful thing and so long as greed doesn't consume you, I support it.

"To suspect your own mortality is to know the beginning of terror; to learn irrefutably that you are mortal is to know the end of terror." -Frank Herbert

“To love our enemy is impossible. The moment we understand our enemy, we feel compassion towards him or her, and he or she is no longer our enemy.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh

Closed Thread