TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Pope blesses mastermind of "Kill The Gays" law - December 16th 2012, 02:47 PM

http://www.examiner.com/article/pope...-gays-lawmaker

The Pope recently blessed Rebecca Kadaga, Speaker of the Ugandan Parliament, who wants to pass the "Kill the Gays" law by Christmas as an early present to the country.

Currently, there are two laws being discussed. One would make homosexuality an illegal activity punishable by death. The other would make it punishable by a hefty prison sentence.

Should The Pope have blessed, or indeed been anywhere near, her?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Liz94 Offline
Here I go again
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Elizabeth

Re: Pope blesses mastermind of "Kill The Gays" law - December 16th 2012, 04:21 PM

As someone who is openly lesbian it angers and saddens me that there are still places where people like me are killed just because of who we are attracted to and want relationships with.

My view is the pope should not be blessing this. He can be against people acting on same-sex attractions, he can express his opinions about this belief as it is his and should have the freedom of speech. But he should condem the death penalty and any laws that crimalise homosexual acts between two consenting 16+ people.

I know my view is bias, but I cannot understand how anyone can be comfortable with people getting a death sentence just because of who they are.

"Casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

"For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." 2 Timothy 1:7

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2

PM/VM me anytime
LIZ
  Send a message via MSN to Liz94  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: Pope blesses mastermind of "Kill The Gays" law - December 16th 2012, 04:23 PM

Well, I would post a rant, but this is the Pope.
I expect him to do things I find reprehensible insofar as I trust the postal service to deliver my mail promptly.

One million miles away...

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Pope blesses mastermind of "Kill The Gays" law - December 17th 2012, 10:43 AM

Is this a case of the Pope actually blessing this woman because of her role in the aforementioned law, or is it actually a case of him blessing her simply because she's attending this meeting in the first place? Having looked at the Pope's encyclicals in the past, I seriously doubt it's the former - especially since it would be a flagrant breach of the Catechism of the Church for him to endorse a policy which specifically targets gays.

It's certainly an unfortunate PR gaffe, but I'd be very surprised if this was an active endorsement of her policies.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Pope blesses mastermind of "Kill The Gays" law - December 17th 2012, 10:54 AM

Wow, some people really bug me.

I'm bi, and sort of out sort of closeted and I don't like the thought of being persecuted for who I am.

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Pope blesses mastermind of "Kill The Gays" law - December 17th 2012, 02:36 PM

This actually horrifies me and disgusts me and shocks me. I mean I guess I shouldn't be shocked this IS the pope we're talking about, he's supposed to be like the pinnacle of Christian doctrine. But when you know pastors who have nothing against gay people and support it you start realizing it doesn't HAVE to be like that just because some Christians go in that direction. It just makes me sad.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#7 (permalink)) Old
phatkid Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Michaela

Re: Pope blesses mastermind of "Kill The Gays" law - December 17th 2012, 08:20 PM

I don't really think if the way the Pope was blessing her was to do with her ideals. Like dr2005 said, maybe he was just blessing her as a Pope would.

On my opinion if he was blessing her with the intent of support for killing people? I just, well, its hard to believe that someone in the world now a days, especially someone as respected as the Pope, would do that. But if he did then I would hate his guts... Well, i'd hate his thought's guts. :P The bible says thou shalt not kill. That's a pretty clear picture in my view.

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them." -- Eeyore

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Re: Pope blesses mastermind of "Kill The Gays" law - December 18th 2012, 02:00 PM

I don't think it was implied he blessed her because of the law. I think people are up in arms because he blessed someone who is behind such an evil law.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Pope blesses mastermind of "Kill The Gays" law - December 19th 2012, 03:02 PM

This is awful. Yes homosexuality is wrong, but so is lying, holding grudges, disobeying your parents, etc. Sin is sin, and we've all done it. The death sentance laws in the bible were in the old testament, before Jesus died to take our punishment.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
phatkid Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Michaela

Re: Pope blesses mastermind of "Kill The Gays" law - December 19th 2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
I don't think it was implied he blessed her because of the law. I think people are up in arms because he blessed someone who is behind such an evil law.
Ah, I suppose I should take it into that perspective. But, shouldnt a person so evil be the one who needed the blessing the most? That girl needs help!

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them." -- Eeyore

(#11 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Pope blesses mastermind of "Kill The Gays" law - December 19th 2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
I may be more cynical than most when it comes to these things, but I would certainly say that a headline of "Pope gives blessing to Ugandan ‘kill the gays’ lawmaker" does invite the reader to draw a connection between the two in light of the alternative meaning of "gives blessing". It would be an extraordinary coincidence otherwise, and I'm not a great believer in coincidence these days. On the other point, it could be a demonstration of "hate the sin, not the sinner" in action.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: Pope blesses mastermind of "Kill The Gays" law - December 19th 2012, 08:41 PM

Simply the idea of such a law, the idea that it's a "present" and the further idea that the Pope might have the audacity to endorse it is disgusting.

Everyone has the right to have individual sexualities; intact, not only that, but also to be proud of it.

Some powerful idiot in a weird hat shouldn't change that.

And what's the excuse for their blatant discrimination? Christianity, their religion.
I am Christian. I don't share their views, actually I openly oppose them.
I mean, the reason given for 9/11 and 7/7 was Jihad, ie. religion. Did we find that acceptable? No.
Religion is not an excuse for terrorism, discrimination or any other violation of others' rights.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#13 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Pope blesses mastermind of "Kill The Gays" law - December 20th 2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
Is this a case of the Pope actually blessing this woman because of her role in the aforementioned law, or is it actually a case of him blessing her simply because she's attending this meeting in the first place? Having looked at the Pope's encyclicals in the past, I seriously doubt it's the former - especially since it would be a flagrant breach of the Catechism of the Church for him to endorse a policy which specifically targets gays.

It's certainly an unfortunate PR gaffe, but I'd be very surprised if this was an active endorsement of her policies.
I don't think he was blessing her policy, I think he was blessing her, as you said I think it would breach catechism for him to openly support this policy. However, I don't think it really matters because he IS blessing someone who is so openly supporting an atrocious law which is what is, most likely, causing the anger and controversy. In my opinion, it is like he is, quietly, condoning her behavior.

He has a right to his beliefs in regards to homosexuality but blessing a woman that wants to pass a 'kill the gays' bill is just rather appalling in my opinion.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Pope blesses mastermind of "Kill The Gays" law - December 20th 2012, 09:44 AM

A lot of respect for the pope that I didn't have much of was lost. That is disgraceful.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Vergil Offline
I am Jeff's Profile
Not a n00b

Re: Pope blesses mastermind of "Kill The Gays" law - December 20th 2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterpiece View Post
A lot of respect for the pope that I didn't have much of was lost. That is disgraceful.
I'm there with you sister. But I will say I'm not surprised though. But if this hell place is real i'll be glad to see the pope down there with me.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: Pope blesses mastermind of "Kill The Gays" law - December 21st 2012, 04:42 AM

It doesn't surprise me. As the head of the largest scamming and morally corrupt corporation in history, I wouldn't expect anything less out of the man with the funny hat.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#17 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

Re: Pope blesses mastermind of "Kill The Gays" law - December 31st 2012, 12:14 AM

I don't see what sexuality has to do with any religion. I could care less if the bible says "not to lie with another man" and whatever everything else says. Killing someone because of how they were born is wrong. Homosexuality is barely brought up in books like the bible and so on. So I don't see why people have to make it a bigger deal than it already is.

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: J.D.
Location: Hell and above, I'm everywhere, I'm the air you breathe and the shadow in the night

Re: Pope blesses mastermind of "Kill The Gays" law - January 2nd 2013, 11:51 PM

I'm bi, fuck the pope, hope he dies and rots in child molesting nazi hell

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Pope blesses mastermind of "Kill The Gays" law - January 3rd 2013, 05:33 PM

Oh, that is just simply horrible.

I have several homosexual friends, males and females. I can honestly say that they are no different than other people when you're their friend (a bit different sexually lols, but other than that they're normal), "killing them" reminds me of WW2, and the nazism. Totally retarded. Humans, in all countries, shall freely decide whenever they want to be homosexual or not. *shrug*

I guess not everybody sees it from this perspective.

Feel free to PM me whatever and whenever.

"You were thre bright light in the tunnel that didn't end,
You were the happy face in the crowd of sad clowns,
You were the joy inside my cold-hearted body,
But that's only what you were, and now you're gone."

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Pope blesses mastermind of "Kill The Gays" law - January 3rd 2013, 05:33 PM

Oh, that is just simply horrible.

I have several homosexual friends, males and females. I can honestly say that they are no different than other people when you're their friend (a bit different sexually lols, but other than that they're normal), "killing them" reminds me of WW2, and the nazism. Totally retarded. Humans, in all countries, shall freely decide whenever they want to be homosexual or not. *shrug*

I guess not everybody sees it from this perspective.

Feel free to PM me whatever and whenever.

"You were thre bright light in the tunnel that didn't end,
You were the happy face in the crowd of sad clowns,
You were the joy inside my cold-hearted body,
But that's only what you were, and now you're gone."

Closed Thread