TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

View Poll Results: Which of the following views would you classify yourself as agreeing with regard to free will?
Fatalist 2 22.22%
Determinist 3 33.33%
Compatibilist 2 22.22%
Metaphysical Libertarian 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Free Will - January 8th 2013, 01:57 PM

What are your views on free will, and what would you classify your stance on it as being (in accordance with the pertinent options)?

One million miles away...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ceinwyn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Isobel
Location: I'm a free spirit yo... Just haven't found the way out of leicester yet

Re: Free Will - January 8th 2013, 02:43 PM

Hate to be a nuisance, but would you be able to give a rough explaination of what those words mean?

Thanks

Women are women, regardless of sex,
and men are men, in the same respects.

You can be both, or a mix of the two,
or you can be neither, if that's what suits you.

But people are people, whatever their parts,
because what really matters, is inside of our hearts.

*Some poem I found on the internet*

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: Free Will - January 8th 2013, 03:15 PM

Determinism means that everything is predictable, including the process of making decisions, and that a decision does not occur as a first cause but rather as a result of the predetermined criteria for a specific decision to be made having been met.
According to me, we do not truly possess free will. Birth, first of all, is given. I did not choose to be born. I did not choose my name, nor did I choose my eye color. Our "choices" are merely a translation of our design. One might argue that I have the free will to be writing this.
False.
The past events triggered this one. It may appear that I had two choices: to write or not to write. But in reality, I was meant to write. There was only one path.
According to me, we have no free will.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: Free Will - January 8th 2013, 04:25 PM

Fatalists believe that there is a set, predetermined manner in which things are to occur, and emphasizes subjugation to such "fate".

Determinists posit that everything is predicable, sentient action being no different (even if we rule it a "voluntary" behaviour).

Metaphysical libertarians believe that free will exists liberated of deterministic outcomes.

Compatibilists hold that determinism and "free will" are compatible notions, some even arguing that "free will" requires determinism in order to be coherent. Although, it must be stressed that the "free will" (I have used the apostrophes to convey this) espoused by compatibilists is vastly different to that which the metaphysical libertarian asserts, because the viewpoint also holds determinism to be correct.

Hope that clears things up. If anyone feels an incessant compulsion to correct me because I haven't done the concepts justice in description, please feel "free" to do so, it's quite an early hour currently.

One million miles away...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Free Will - January 13th 2013, 11:03 AM

Free will is only truly possessed in a given situation where a person is self-aware and competent enough to make a conscious decision on any given choice. Essentially, free will is the ability to choose intentionally overriding instinct or following it to any varying degree. The limits of free will in such a situation are defined by the limits to what a person can think of in terms of choices.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
linnea__ Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Free Will - January 13th 2013, 10:32 PM

I voted Metaphysical Libertarian, but I honetlsy think that there is not just ONE answer to the question of free will.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
JustACityBoy Offline
Telemachus
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Carl

Re: Free Will - January 19th 2013, 07:32 AM

I believe in fate. Current thoughts transcend from older thoughts. Specifically only humans.

What lies ahead is unknown. However, in some times, I've sighted several smooth pavements. I myself am the mender of roads, and it is with these we work on.

Closed Thread