TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

"just prayed to a God that I don't believe in" - January 27th 2013, 10:46 PM

("The Script" there )

Whenever I'm going through a rough patch (depression or whatever) I tend to pray. I will mostly pray in my head rather than anything else. Thing is, I don't believe in God I'd like there to be a God but I genuinely don't believe in one. I'd like to be wrong but I can't just have blind faith. So, I don't know what/who I am "praying" to.

Why do I pray? It's comforting but I don't know why.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: "just prayed to a God that I don't believe in" - January 27th 2013, 10:57 PM

Just because you do not believe in God does not mean you cannot prayer. Religion is such a complicated thing and there for encompasses so much. If you are praying you might just be asking for some type of help and that doesn't necessarily have to be from God.

Just reaching out and asking for help can be a form of help that we need when we are struggling with tough issues whether or not you are praying to God is not the most important thing. I think the thing that matters most is that you are getting the comfort and support you might be needing during the difficult period of time.

I hope this helped in someway.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
RondoSwag Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: "just prayed to a God that I don't believe in" - January 28th 2013, 03:15 AM

Based on my beliefs I think that you reason you pray is that you inherently know there is a God deep down somewhere but you haven't received the love from a Christian that comes from putting absolute trust in God because that's something that's rare and takes a lot of discipline, honesty, and love. I hope you are able to experience that someday and that you are convicted to seek that out.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: "just prayed to a God that I don't believe in" - January 28th 2013, 11:35 AM

If it comforts you, and it doesn't cause you trouble, I see no reason why you shouldn't.
It does not mean you believe in God latently or "deep down", and it is natural for someone looking to ease a sense of solitude or depression.
When you think clearly, if you can still rationally assess the possibility of a deity, you haven't been compromised in your beliefs (or lack of).

One million miles away...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
RondoSwag Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: "just prayed to a God that I don't believe in" - January 28th 2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Mr. Self Destruct~ View Post
If it comforts you, and it doesn't cause you trouble, I see no reason why you shouldn't.
It does not mean you believe in God latently or "deep down", and it is natural for someone looking to ease a sense of solitude or depression.
When you think clearly, if you can still rationally assess the possibility of a deity, you haven't been compromised in your beliefs (or lack of).
That is certainly rational and the reason I said what I said is because I believe God exists and is real and therefore you get the urge to pray because God is willing to listen. I believe that no matter what stage you are in life God is always there to guide you if you let him, because I've found that true for my life!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
~Divergent~ Offline
Struggling again.
I've been here a while

Name: Hailey

Re: "just prayed to a God that I don't believe in" - January 28th 2013, 06:13 PM

I actually do the same thing sometimes. I think I'd say that I am undecided as to whether or not God exists, but I did start praying around the time my brother got cancer. I think it's just a way of pleading for help. When something is out of your control, I think we just need a reason to believe that someone has it under control and will make sure everything works out.

Member since 9/27/12
Buddy since 9/14/13

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: "just prayed to a God that I don't believe in" - January 29th 2013, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceilidh View Post
("The Script" there )

Whenever I'm going through a rough patch (depression or whatever) I tend to pray. I will mostly pray in my head rather than anything else. Thing is, I don't believe in God I'd like there to be a God but I genuinely don't believe in one. I'd like to be wrong but I can't just have blind faith. So, I don't know what/who I am "praying" to.

Why do I pray? It's comforting but I don't know why.
The idea of god(s) is a powerful placebo for most people. Being that you live in a country that still has some religiosity, it is probably natural for you to reach up to a higher-power because people around believe. Even if they don't, there is some evidence which supports the idea of a god being genetic. In other words, because our ancestors believed in a god, we are likely to believe a god. But, as we evolve and see less necessity for god, the god-part of the mind will leave.

My opinion, it's just a placebo. Some people talk to themselves, what you're doing is essentially the same thing. It gives you a place to vent, like a journal.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: "just prayed to a God that I don't believe in" - January 29th 2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RondoSwag View Post
That is certainly rational and the reason I said what I said is because I believe God exists and is real and therefore you get the urge to pray because God is willing to listen. I believe that no matter what stage you are in life God is always there to guide you if you let him, because I've found that true for my life!
I don't believe in any deity at all, in any capacity. Unless you have something with a basis in proper evidence to suggest that an atheist actually believes in God at a subliminal level, please present it, otherwise I reject the sentiment. I see no reason to believe in God, and especially not the Abrahamic God above any others.
So your explanation as to why the desire to pray derives from Divine enticement and instruction? I personally find the reward system in the brain to provide a far better and tangible explanation.
So you've found God? So that's evidence of His existence and truth of his doctrine? So I presume those who have found Allah and thusly truth in the Islamic doctrine have sufficient evidence to satiate a proper standard of proof for their beliefs? And do we also presume at the same time that Christians have "found" their God and claim veracity in the Christian doctrine (or whichever of the 30,000+ denominations of the religion their claim to belong to)? If this is is the case, which is demonstrably is, we have two sets of people that believe fervently that their deity exists, and claim to have proof of such. Why would a Christian's determination be held truthful above a Christians, especially on the basis of the evidence they have (which should be considered none to those affirming to the establishment of facts via empirical evidence), which is equal in "amount" to the Christian who holds to the same contention appealing to similar evidence of the same nebulous basis.
So why are you right and the hypothetical (but easily identified in example if the need be) Muslim is not?
It also doesn't help your notion when you consider the area of the brain that is activated for a Coca-Cola addict upon seeing a bottle of such a product is the same for a religious person who sees symbolism of their religion. Is a bottle of Coke now considered a deity?

One million miles away...

Closed Thread