TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
KiwiGal Offline
Perfect just as you are
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Beka

Points: 17,698, Level: 19 Points: 17,698, Level: 19 Points: 17,698, Level: 19

Talking Mission work/school - March 6th 2013, 10:39 AM

heya guys!

So I am looking into doing a school in September called a DTS (Discipleship training school) In Mexico through YWAM (youth with a mission). Which i am super excited for!

Basically it is all about learning about the Bible and God. And also how to help people in need. It is a six month school. 12 week lecture phase, then just under 12 weeks of outreach, which is going out into different nations and communities, and helping them where needed (For example helping teach basic hygiene in third world countries)

I am super excited about this.
I just have to find a way to get my parents on board

I feel like my calling is to help people. So this might be my chance

KEEP YOUR CHIN UP!
NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY
YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!
<3<3<3<3
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Points: 12,802, Level: 16 Points: 12,802, Level: 16 Points: 12,802, Level: 16

Re: Mission work/school - March 7th 2013, 05:32 AM

How is the group planning to "help people in need"?

One million miles away...
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
KiwiGal Offline
Perfect just as you are
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Mission work/school - March 7th 2013, 11:31 AM

The base i am involved with right now, we have a medical ship that goes up to Papua New Guinea which helps provides basic medical, dental, and eye stuff help. And teaching The people about hygiene and how to look after themselves. We also run a youth program which we have different teams which teach different skills (music, art, dance, skating, cooking, sewing)

I don't know exactly what will be involved in helping people over there, but a lot of it will be simply being there and showing them support.

KEEP YOUR CHIN UP!
NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY
YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!
<3<3<3<3
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26

Re: Mission work/school - March 10th 2013, 04:42 PM

I guess I am confused, do you want to go to Mexico or Papua New Guinea?

I guess it would all depend on how old you are, if you are an adult, you don't have to get your parents on board to make your dream come true, you should just go for it.

But, if you are a minor, or are still living under the support of your parents, I can understand their concern. Mexico is a very dangerous place at the moment. I have been there several times over the years, but have stopped going after my college begged students not to go anymore. There were just too many rapes, murders and missing cases of people going to Mexico for all sorts of reasons and then never coming back or ending up in a Mexican prison. I know you say that you will be with your group... but from the perspective of a parent, its not the most heart warming idea.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
KiwiGal Offline
Perfect just as you are
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Mission work/school - March 11th 2013, 03:38 AM

Yes Mexico, PNG was just an example of what the organisation does.
I am 18 so not a minor.
I have heard of the dangers of Mexico, and it part scares me, part excites me, okay alot scares me.. But thats the point, pushing me out of my comfort zone, and well Maybe i can help do some change... And not the whole country, but changing one persons life would be great.

KEEP YOUR CHIN UP!
NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY
YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!
<3<3<3<3
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Mission work/school - March 11th 2013, 04:29 AM

The issue is, a lot of these places do not need to be "taught how to have basic hygiene." The people are not stupid. They often don't have the basic infrastructure in order to have "good hygiene," for example, they don't have clean water or have such a limited supply that is has to be prioritized to drinking and cooking. So I'm wondering if this program really makes an impact. I'd really look into that before doing any abroad program, especially if you want to actually help people besides just in a shallow Toms shoes kind of way.

something burning?
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
KiwiGal Offline
Perfect just as you are
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Mission work/school - March 22nd 2013, 09:41 AM

Not all places need to be taught about basic hygiene i agree for sure, but some of the places do. I know the base i am involved with at the current time, helps hand out the utensils so the people can maintain a basic level of hygiene.

I firmly believe that you can help people from any walks of life, by being a kind and offering friendship.

KEEP YOUR CHIN UP!
NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY
YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!
<3<3<3<3
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Points: 21,690, Level: 21 Points: 21,690, Level: 21 Points: 21,690, Level: 21

Re: Mission work/school - March 22nd 2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_fish_bunny View Post
I firmly believe that you can help people from any walks of life, by being a kind and offering friendship.
You could just volunteer to be a member of staff here...

However, the decision about this should be up to you.
I'd agree that researching thoroughly how much it actually helps would be a good idea, because if you are taking risks with Mexico, you very much want it to be worth it. Make sure both that these people need what you're teaching, and that they'll be able to utilise anything you give them.

If it does look to help though, and you're willing to take such risks then...go ahead, and make the best of the opportunity for yourself and the people youll be helping on it. Do think carefully before making the decision, though.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Points: 22,144, Level: 21 Points: 22,144, Level: 21 Points: 22,144, Level: 21

Re: Mission work/school - March 22nd 2013, 11:52 AM

Do not under any circumstances go to Mexico, it's batshit crazy right now. Goddamn warzone an hour from my house.

There are some safe tourists areas, but once you're off the highway it's a goddamn battlefield. Be careful.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
KiwiGal Offline
Perfect just as you are
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Mission work/school - April 2nd 2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael98 View Post

You could just volunteer to be a member of staff here...

I could, but i haven't really been active enough here any more.

It's definitely not the safest of places, but I think I will take the risk, but will keep my wits about me

KEEP YOUR CHIN UP!
NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY
YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!
<3<3<3<3
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
I can't get enough

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28

Re: Mission work/school - April 3rd 2013, 06:41 PM

If you've researched the program properly and believe that it'll do good, then honestly I'm all for it. So long as you understand the dangers of where you are going. Some of these mission things don't really help people much, but I've been a part of one that really does make a difference, in Romania, and you've just got to choose the right one.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26

Re: Mission work/school - April 3rd 2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_fish_bunny View Post
Not all places need to be taught about basic hygiene i agree for sure, but some of the places do. I know the base i am involved with at the current time, helps hand out the utensils so the people can maintain a basic level of hygiene.

I know you are trying to do something good for the world. But keep in mind the real situation in Mexico. ANYTHING that you donate to someone in Mexico has a very real chance of ending up in the hands of drug lords and gangs.

Have you visited Mexico recently? Have you seen the three year old children selling gum to tourists? Have you seen the signs from the Mexican government telling you no matter what, do not give the children money because they are pawns of drugs dealers? The situation in Mexico, while very heart breaking, is very complex and dangerous. Just be aware, things like helping out a three year old by giving them a dollar only fuels the local gangs.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
KiwiGal Offline
Perfect just as you are
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Mission work/school - April 4th 2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post

I know you are trying to do something good for the world. But keep in mind the real situation in Mexico. ANYTHING that you donate to someone in Mexico has a very real chance of ending up in the hands of drug lords and gangs.

Have you visited Mexico recently? Have you seen the three year old children selling gum to tourists? Have you seen the signs from the Mexican government telling you no matter what, do not give the children money because they are pawns of drugs dealers? The situation in Mexico, while very heart breaking, is very complex and dangerous. Just be aware, things like helping out a three year old by giving them a dollar only fuels the local gangs.
I can't say I have been to Mexico... it's not particularly close to where i live...

Now This is a religious thread, so no jumping down my throat for this, But this is a Mission trip, which means where a huge part of it is to help people, another huge part is about God.
Now I don't mean to say i will be preaching to everyone I meet. But showing them Gods love I will try to do as well as I can.
So to be honest my opinion, If some of what i believe in and the love and hope that I am going to try to give to people, if some of that gets to the the drug loads and such I do not mind.

And i had to giggle at giving money to people.. I am not there to give money to people. I don't have the money to be able to do it. I cannot say what i would do if i saw a three year old on the streets.
I am going to be doing 12 weeks of lectures to help prepare me for that.
But from what i believe now, I would do something as simple as giving the child some food. I don't know. ha ha

IT Will be a huge learning curb for me. I don't know what to fully expect till i get there.
But the organisation is well known to me. And is a huge part of my life here in Australia. Hopefully in Mexico too

KEEP YOUR CHIN UP!
NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY
YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!
<3<3<3<3
Closed Thread