TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
JH123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Confused about beliefs. Help? - March 12th 2013, 09:59 PM

Hello all. This is my first time on this site and I'm on here to ask this question only. Okay so here goes (it's kinda long)

I've grown up in a Christian family, but not very strict. My parents both are physicians and my mother even has a PhD, so naturally they both value science. I'm not too sure about my father, but my mother definitely believes in evolution and believes God guides it.

Since August, I have been having a huge problem with what I believe spiritually. I went on a mission trip with my church the previous month and that was the one time I truly felt close to God, and I can honestly say it was the happiest I have ever been. However, shortly after coming back was the first time I was really exposed to atheism, or anything besides Christianity for that matter (I live in the Bible Belt) I noticed that they held a lot of animosity towards what I believed and mocked Christianity repeatedly.

Around this time, I realized I was really good at math and science, and I started delving deeper into the science aspect, discovering things such as the Big Bang, evolution, the multiverse theory, NDE's, and a lot more amazing subjects that I have never heard of. And then the questioning started. I started wondering whether God really exists, or if it is just a child's myth. It wasn't until then that I had questioned the Bible but now I see how Man has corrupted it and now I am unsure whether any of it is true or not. I started questioning whether or not there really is an afterlife (I have researched it thoroughly and I still think there is) and whether all of these atheists are right.

I want to believe in God, I do,....but science does make a great point. I haven't found one end-all all point from science that would make me give up on God yet. I feel pressured on both sides; some atheists insulting my beliefs and saying we need to move past these "Bronze Age Myths" and giving up my Christian faith on the other side. I'm sure my family will still accept me if I eventually do become atheist, but the thing is, I don't want to be. I want to be Christian. I want God to exist, for heaven to be real.

I know I believe the universe was made over billions of years, not six days. I believe that was a mistranslation. I believe in evolution, the big bang, and so much other science. I don't necessarily think science and God conflict, I believe they sort of compliment each other.

The one thing that keeps my hanging on the God thread is math. I can't fathom anything besides and all-powerful and all-loving being creating the beautiful and impossibly complex language that is mathematics. But as more discoveries are made in science and as the world becomes more and more secular, my already small faith is dwindling slowly.

So have any of you gone through this or something similar, or are going through it? How did it turn out, how are you coping?

I really need any responses you all have, this problem has been going on for too long and I desperately need answers

Thanks in advance

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Vergil Offline
I am Jeff's Profile
Not a n00b

Re: Confused about beliefs. Help? - March 13th 2013, 11:33 PM

If you want to believe in Christianity then go for it. I know a lot of people that believe in the theories of science and God's faith. I can see how people believe in both. But to me I'm kinda glad people are looking away from religion for science I feel we can get a lot more done in science if religion wasn't really in the picture. But to each there own. I personally believe in the philosophical part of religions but not the whole existence of God.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Confused about beliefs. Help? - March 14th 2013, 12:25 AM

I know plenty of very scientifically minded people who are Christian. I don't think they're necessarily incompatible (which you appear to be somewhat agreeing with as well, or trying to get to your own conclusion). I think the largest problem for a lot of Christians is things like creation vs. evolution and gods presence in that. I think it depends on how literally you take passages like that and to what degree you believe god allows freewill for us/the world to change. For example, I believe that the Great Creator/God/what ever it is you believe in allows everything on earth to take it's own course, he made it and he allows things to change according to choices. I think if he didn't allow change then everything would always be the same, humanity would never advance, species wouldn't die out or new ones emerge (or be discovered?). We'd all still live in caves or something, I'm not sure. So I think that as long as you don't take the 6/7 days bit literally and believe that god allows change/free will (and just guides people/the world but doesn't force any changes himself) then it's compatible. Even when he does stuff like have blood show up in the nile or kill all the oldest egyptian boys in the bible, well, that's not a typical god. Now, personally I think there is an explanation for it that has nothing to do with God but my atheist interpretation of the bible doesn't matter, it just allows me to read the bible in a way that makes everything possible and having being believed as an act of god but what ever.... Ok... I could vague go on here... My point is that it can be compatible.
I personally believe more strongly in a Great Creator (native american) because it's a "thing" and has an after life... But it isn't a being who claims to interfere with our lives in such a same way...
You'll either reconcile science and god together or you won't. You'll stay a Christian or become agnostic or atheist OR convert to something like Buddhism (no guiding god to cause questions about free will and no concerns about creation). But I unfortunately can't do this for you. I can only tell you it's compatible from my view depending on interpretation/literalness

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Confused about beliefs. Help? - March 14th 2013, 12:34 AM

I know plenty of very scientifically minded people who are Christian. I don't think they're necessarily incompatible (which you appear to be somewhat agreeing with as well, or trying to get to your own conclusion). I think the largest problem for a lot of Christians is things like creation vs. evolution and gods presence in that. I think it depends on how literally you take passages like that and to what degree you believe god allows freewill for us/the world to change. For example, I believe that the Great Creator/God/what ever it is you believe in allows everything on earth to take it's own course, he made it and he allows things to change according to choices. I think if he didn't allow change then everything would always be the same, humanity would never advance, species wouldn't die out or new ones emerge (or be discovered?). We'd all still live in caves or something, I'm not sure. So I think that as long as you don't take the 6/7 days bit literally and believe that god allows change/free will (and just guides people/the world but doesn't force any changes himself) then it's compatible. Even when he does stuff like have blood show up in the nile or kill all the oldest egyptian boys in the bible, well, that's not a typical god. Now, personally I think there is an explanation for it that has nothing to do with God but my atheist interpretation of the bible doesn't matter, it just allows me to read the bible in a way that makes everything possible and having being believed as an act of god but what ever.... Ok... I could vague go on here... My point is that it can be compatible.
I personally believe more strongly in a Great Creator (native american) because it's a "thing" and has an after life... But it isn't a being who claims to interfere with our lives in such a same way...
You'll either reconcile science and god together or you won't. You'll stay a Christian or become agnostic or atheist OR convert to something like Buddhism (no guiding god to cause questions about free will and no concerns about creation). But I unfortunately can't do this for you. I can only tell you it's compatible from my view depending on interpretation/literalness

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Collies R Us Offline
Proverbs 30:5-6
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ally

Re: Confused about beliefs. Help? - March 14th 2013, 01:43 AM

I believe in God.

When I started believing I hadn't had a biology class yet, but now that I'm a little more mature in my faith, I am taking biology (not my doing; it was God's.) and in taking that class I can see the arguments for evolution and the theories on the origins of life (the latter being less believable...there are so many theories). And it does try my faith sometimes, but not so much as when we studied religion in AP Human Geography.

The things that kept my faith up were the little things. For instance, little occurrences and sometimes large ones that would usually be considered coincidences, but I don't think so. And things that my mind could never dream up, like the power and fierceness of seeing and feeling God's love. And I never could have imagined up the Holy Spirit from my mind. My life changed after finally finding Jesus; it wasn't quite immediate but I changed for the better.
I used to have issues with my looks, my self-esteem. That changed. This...errr, past year, I would say, is the happiest year of my life. By far not the easiest, but it's the happiest.
So that's my input. I try not to let the theories make me waver by, really, just ignoring them, except in biology of course.

Maybe ignoring is not the right word...but the theories aren't relevant to my calling, whatever it might be, so why keep it in my mind? (There is a Sherlock Holmes quote about the gist of that.) What I mean is, it's not going to help me by studying evolution and other theories. It won't make me a better person or help me know God better...It's just stuff buried in my mind. It won't help me in life unless I become a biologist in that area. So I just let it leave my mind.

Even if they say that they've proven that God doesn't exist, and they used the newest scientic theories and evidence to prove it, God will still be there to me.

There's a verse that goes like this: "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;" Proverbs 3:5 (NIV)
I take that to heart...
- Collies R Us

"Be strong and bold; have no fear or dread of them, because it is the LORD your God who goes with you; he will not fail you or forsake you." (Deut. 31:6 NRSV of the Bible)

Closed Thread