TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

When did you start questioning? - June 1st 2013, 09:16 AM

Hey everyone!

This is a question for people who aren't religious. I'm wondering, when did you start to become skeptical of the religion you were raised as? Or did you always not believe? Did you question for a while first, before stopping believing altogether? Did anything happen that might have triggered it? I don't have a set list of questions, I'm just curious.

For me, I started questioning when I was around thirteen. I felt at the time that I was only believing because I wanted to believe there was something there, when there actually wasn't. I come from a Catholic background, but my parents were never actually that religious, so I wasn't necessarily indoctrinated. Anyways, I identified as agnostic for a long time, but, only a few months ago, I eventually decided for sure that I didn't believe, and now I call myself an atheist. Nothing really happened that made me question, I guess I just grew older and learned to think for myself, rather than going along with what I'd learned all my life.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 1st 2013, 09:48 AM

I've always questioned, since I could understand any concept of religion, and I don't know that I ever truly believed in Christianity; the issues I picked up around how it could exist were too great.

Particularly though once I started talking to one of my now-best friends, who is very skeptical of religion, and began listening to some Tim Minchin ('Do NOT look him up if you're easily offended), I was very skeptical. This was also the point where I was understanding more and more how much crap was being caused in the world by religion.

The final straw was an RE lesson, though. We had to sit down and find arguments for God's existence. I came very quickly to the conclusion that God could not exist, and that therefore all religions had at least one massive flaw.

Other than the awful things people do in the name of religion (terrorism, and - more widespread - inequality, as well as the fact that the tax breaks and donations could be, I think, so much better spent), I'm perfectly happy for people to believe what they like, but I have a few main points:
Whenever humans have lacked understanding in the past, they have created a God. We're far more economical about it now, with one God for many things (in many religions, anyway). The fact that it's to explain things we don't understand, exactly as all our ancestors did, remains.

Why must everything good be attributed to God ("oh, a miracle. Thank God") and all bad be attributed to humans ("wow. You must have done something wrong to be punished"). Imagine this: maybe humans can be good people without having to do it for the reward of heaven!?

Even if a god(s) did exist (which is impossible), which? There are so many we have to chose from. Yet most claim to be the "one true God". Catholicism even separates itself from other denominations. Lacks credibility somewhat.

All arguments really are flawed if they are based around a common assumption that a God exists. Only if "his" existence can be proved do these arguments have any worth, because they're otherwise making unfair assumptions.
Also, finally: a "feeling" is not evidence. Nor is guessing that something "must" be designed. We should have more faith in the good that nature and humans in particular do without the help of a superbeing.

Wow. Long. Tl;dr - I don't believe in God. :P

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 1st 2013, 12:12 PM

Ever since I was young I always questioned it even though my family are Catholic and I went to a Catholic school. Like even as a small child in primary school I drove my teachers mad asking questions. I just thought it was stupid and no one ever answered my questions convincingly so I was never satisfied and to the day I am still not and question it.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 1st 2013, 02:20 PM

I'm not an atheist, but neither am I a Christian (and I was born one).

As a baby, I was baptized into the Methodist church. In all honesty I never saw Jesus and God as logical beings, as my mind was naturally analytical and wanted questions; the idea that the Christian God could create a world from his own will, then make it so imperfect so as to toss his favorite creations of the Garden of Eden (not to mention, flood the earth and kill the vast majority of them at some point later) never sat well with me.

When I turned ten, I began to study evolution and concepts from other religions (Hinduism, Buddhism, Zen, Pagan, "mythological," and otherwise). I realized that there were many different ideas on what religion was, that all claimed to be correct, and also to be the only path to a beautiful realm where many supposed higher powers dwelt. I remember asking my mother at eleven years old how she could believe in Christian teachings, when everyone else of every other religion thought they were as correct as she was (she was very worried by it, I think, lol). That was the end of Christianity for me, even before I really began to study evolution and the big bang theory and other scientific phenomena on my own.

I have, however, had many relapses, courtesy of good "friends" of mine who thought that my beliefs (which are more logical to my mind, and which I'll gladly explain to anyone who wishes to know, via PM) were outrageous. They also began to speak of the end of the world, which I was direly frightened of, and scared me back into the middle ground (agnosticism) and eventually Christianity (for about six months). Silly me, listening to evangelists.

Anyway, several recent reads on the scientific estimation of the longevity of the sun helped me through that. Now I'm more comfortable than ever. Coming back to my non-Christian religion of logic and philosophy has really felt like coming home, and being compatible with new scientific discoveries that I'm interested in is definitely a plus side.

Anyway, I'll shut up now. But that's my story.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 1st 2013, 11:27 PM

I was raised agnostic. Started going to church. Liked that there was something to believe in. Became Christian. This lasted from junior high until mid college years.

Last year, started questioning when I was going through a rough time with depression & anxiety, along with harassment from an ex & dealing with the death of a friend. I wondered how a god who claims to love his children could possibly do that. Had discussions with others who felt the same, realized there wasn't any real proof to back up anything in the bible. Stopped believing.

The end.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 2nd 2013, 02:08 PM

I don't necessarily think the question posed need be so exclusive (non-religious people only). For example, a Muslim could question certain tenets of his religion and become Christian, or an adherent to any religion could question his faith but remain a believer.

I was raised Christian (Protestant) as a child, and began to question certain dogmas when I reached the age of reason (around 2 or 3 years old, as George Carlin would say). I think the first teachings I had difficulty with were the concept of Hell, the biblical creation narrative, and some of the kookier Old Testament stories (Jonah and the Whale, the Flood, etc.) As I grew older, I also began to question more integral components, such as Passover, Easter, Revelation, etc. I can't say I've resolved those questions, and maybe I never will. I guess that makes me an agnostic in the strict sense.

At the same time, I haven't given up on spirituality. I've since turned towards Buddhism, which also has its share of questionable doctrines. In all, though, I find it a good framework to live by and enjoy its compatibility with scientific thought. Not every "questioner" need become a nihilist, atheist, or "secular humanist." In fact, I find it mildly offensive when people such as Richard Dawkins, whose writings I sometimes enjoy, claim a sort of egotistical knowledge that God does not exist and that death is the end of conscious existence. As another noted agnostic, Bertrand Russell, once said: "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
KruSuPhy Offline
Real Friends
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Coty

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 2nd 2013, 07:18 PM

I was probably about seven when I started questioning my faith. I was raised to believe in God, so until that point I had just kind of accepted it. But when I heard that there were people that didn't believe in Him, it kinda made sense to me because God had never made sense to me. I was raised to believe, but nobody taught me to have faith, so I never really did, and then I just stopped believing altogether.

Slow down, you crazy child
you're so ambitious for a juvenile
But then if you're so smart, tell me
Why are you still so afraid?
  Send a message via AIM to KruSuPhy  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 2nd 2013, 07:49 PM

I was baptized Catholic, raised agnostic. I could not believe that a God of unconditional love could give his followers permission to use his name as an excuse for discrimination and conversion. It's like he's saying "love Thy neighbor as Thyself" unless he or she is gay or disagrees with what I say and then you have permission to use my name to discriminate against this person and tell them they're going to hell for what they believe or the way they were born.

Also the fact that in some religions mental illnesses and addictions don't exist and/or that it's somehow your fault or the work of Satan and if you just "pray and find Jesus" he will take it all away for you and you'll be fine again. We have proof that mental health and addiction do NOT work that way. Prayer can be a powerful tool for some people, but it's not going to be a cure-all.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 2nd 2013, 08:44 PM

I must have been about 11. In RE lessons during bible time in RE when we looked at the whole adam and eve type thing in depth etc I really began to question it. I then questioned it even more as I discovered spiritualism. Honestly my teacher in RE once asked me if I believe in God. To which I did answer ' Not exactly a god, but I do believe there's something more powerful out there'. For this I was sent to the chapel to repent to ''God'' A god in which I do not believe in so to this I said ' Why If I don't believe in God why should I repent to something that I do not believe in' I only really questioned God's existence when in RE we learned about other religions and how each religion has their own God. Because how can every god have created the world ? I still question it.

I think everyone is allowed to believe what they want to believe but I think everyone questions it. It's one of the mysteries of the world.

I was christened as church of england. But I now Identify my religion as a 'spiritualist'. Simply because for me spiritualism makes much more sense to me.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 2nd 2013, 09:02 PM

I'm Catholic, and I attended a Catholic school for a semester. The teacher was intimidating and sort of abusive, so I left.

For my family, we went to church a few times. There was always something going on that prevented us from going. I did go to Sunday school a few times with my cousin, but that was about it.

I'm not going to lie, I'm quite embarrassed that I don't know a whole lot about my own religion.

I'm not sure exactly how old I was; but I believed simply because everyone else in my family did. I must have been in my preteens. I started questioning it sometime after I started cutting, because cutting is a sin. Then, we lost a distant family member to suicide and I questioned where he was going and that made me think even more.

I've always thought that if there was a god, he would have helped our family by now.

But it seems like the more I question it, the more that weird things happen. We were talking about religion in the car. I went into the store and found a Jesus Loves You pen.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 2nd 2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost On The Highway View Post
I don't necessarily think the question posed need be so exclusive (non-religious people only). For example, a Muslim could question certain tenets of his religion and become Christian, or an adherent to any religion could question his faith but remain a believer.
Well, being non-religious myself, I was hoping this thread would provide me with stories of other non-religious people, and how they came to be non-religious. But I phrased the question wrong and ended up with even more interesting answers!

I find it interesting how some people are saying they were raised agnostic, because sometimes I wonder if I really was raised Catholic myself. My parents weren't that religious, and we didn't attend Mass that often. Then again, that doesn't mean I wasn't around other religious people. I grew up in an inner-city area in Ireland, and religious adherence is common in my area. Even though my family weren't that religious, almost every other family I knew growing up were, and a lot of my childhood friends were very strict Catholics at that. The kind you'd see in Angela's Ashes, lol. I wasn't completely void of Christian influence.

Anyways, thanks for the answers thus far, and do carry on!

Last edited by Catharsis.; June 2nd 2013 at 10:48 PM.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Noire Offline
When is the future?
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 2nd 2013, 10:41 PM

I was thirteen, and my parents had just gotten divorced. The church had told my mother she couldn't sing in the choir anymore because she divorced my father for something other than infidelity or abuse.

Then I was fourteen, and I didn't understand why I was burdened with a mental disorder.

Then I was fifteen and realized I was bisexual.

And I began to realize that, though I believed in God, I didn't believe in Him the way the church taught me too. I believed in a God of love, not damnation. A God whose spirit was in every living thing. A God who valued all his creations equally. A God who all religions could believe in; that no one was "right" while the others were wrong.

I still believe those things today.

Love joins
Love unites
Love breaks us apart
The power to conquer here in our hearts
Enduring and sacred
Eternal as time
For love, love alone will conquer all

"A Million," by VNV Nation
  Send a message via Yahoo to Noire  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Zace Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Isaac/Zac

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 3rd 2013, 10:43 AM

Well I was raised as a Jehovah Witness... Crazy I KNOW Even crazier living with them let me tell you.
So, I was the perfect lil JW really. Did what I was told, went to church three times a week, tried to spread gods word on the weekends, and avoided pagan holidays like the plague.
Now all that junk went on until I was about 11. When my dad committed suicide I kinda said fuck it to just about everything in my life, religion included and I guess I just kind of forgot about it for a few years.. Probably the best thing I ever did. I'm almost thankful about what happened because of it
Getting away from a lot of the religious stuff for a while let me clear my head and take an objective look at it. It's easy to believe something as a kid when everyone you know says that it's the truth, I mean they don't use the word religion... They call it the truth..
So when I was about 14-15ish I started getting an interest in religion again. Idk how it started but I ran into some youtube videos and it just went from there. I became interested in debate and started watching discussions, TV shows and podcasts. I even started reading the bible again, but at the same time I was reading stuff by Dawkins and Hitchens and I had a long look at what I'd been taught against what was in there.
I got interested in science and philosophy as well and managed to work out a lifes worth or crazy that had been put in my head.
Before long I was an atheist with a thirst for debate trying to talk to any religious person who wouldn't run away screaming

As for now.. I'm still an athiest but I've chilled out a bit more. If someone is bigoted for religious reasons I have no problem debating them until they're beliefs are mush, but if they're nice I just don't bother putting in more than my two cents.

- Zace

(#14 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 3rd 2013, 07:07 PM

I've read everyone's stories. I don't usually read every post, but found it interesting enough to do this time. Also, I happen to have a lot of time today.... here's my version:

It has always been in my nature to question things, and reject them if I see too little justification for them.

I was diagnosed with Asperger's. Whether I actually have it is uncertain. But I definitely have some characteristics, more than most people. And some professionals have said that it's a trend with Aspergers people to have a sort of inability to conform to authority in some ways, or more specifically "follow orders".

I've never been able to just swallow bullshit, and would often question authority, even if many people thought that it was totally inappropriate. That included questioning religion at a young age when I was being brought up with it. I was brought up mostly in Poland (very Christian), up to the age of 9, and spent many holidays over there from then onwards. My naivety at a young age got the better of me... but by the age of 7/8, I almost entirely rejected Christian faith, although I didn't boast about it. Why did I reject it? Because almost every question I asked on religion, got back nonsense answers. Nonsense to me. I wouldn't even know where to start. A typical example I use though, is the theory that objects fall to the Earth because "God designed it that way". I'd just be sitting back in the classroom then, thinking "wut... dafuq??". What is a "God". I believe what I see... not what people tell me to believe. lol. I rejected the religion before I even got to the point of thinking about all the self-contradictions and imperfections.

--- read on if you can be bothered, but I'll be digressing a bit ---

So although I didn't particularly boast about my rejection of Christian faith, I didn't really hide it either. I couldn't if I tried, I was a shit liar then. I rarely bothered learning any prayers, didn't know the words to whatever songs in church, didn't know what the songs were called, didn't really show any interest in Christianity in general. Poland has a very strong Christian culture. People's response (not my parents', other people's), was too often pretty condemning of my "attitude" towards Christianity. My "attitude" simply was that I didn't follow the religion. Some people's views on this didn't need to be spoken for them to be known, although often they were spoken anyway. Sometimes people's reactions were openly hostile, verbally. Me being still relatively naive, this reaction from those people, didn't provoke an equal and opposite reaction on my part... it provoked an excessive and opposite reaction on my part. It took a few years to fully develop... and by the age of 14/15... I could say that I developed a hatred towards Christian religion, because I associated it automatically with oppression and things such as some old farts telling me that I deserve to burn in hell and trying to humiliate me. This carried on probably until the age of about 18, and then I started cooling down. I had a lot of hostility towards a lot of things. Christianity was somewhere at the top of the list, but there were other things too.

Today... I'm not hostile towards Christianity anymore, or any other religion/culture or following as such. I've narrowed it down, and brought it under control. It wasn't fair on a lot of Christians. I've known Christians who were perfectly decent people, living their own life, and letting others live theirs. It wasn't fair on a lot of people. I was a bit of a prejudiced bigot. I had been pushed and bullied by prejudiced bigots and became one myself.

I've narrowed my hostility down. Now, it's only a certain type of person who I have a lot of hostility towards. It's the type of person, who thinks they have the authority to dictate to others how they should live, and who will use whatever they have in their power to try and accomplish this. For whatever reasons. Their reasons for thinking that they're more authoritative may be because they're Christian, or they have more money, or they "know people" (lol), because they're older, or even because they have a better car. They're not more authoritative than anybody. Nobody can always be in the right.

Most of those people, are extremely stupid and are nothing to worry about. They'll resort to cheap shit social tactics like talking behind your back mostly and turning people against you (sounds familiar?), because that's all they have in their power to do. Probably some form of bullying or other, maybe even physical. The specifics depend on what culture you live in. I feel quite a lot of hostility towards them, but have learnt to laugh it off or totally ignore it. Small dogs bark and show their teeth the most. It's a survival mechanism, a consequence of evolution. The big dogs don't need to bark and show their teeth, because they and others just know that they're bigger and more dangerous. I suppose it's linked with the superiority/inferiority complex thing. It's really, just stupid. Ignoring those sorts of people is what deals them the strongest insult. They expect to be worshipped, and instead... pft, zero.

The real battle... is with those who can't be ignored. The ones who aren't stupid, and know how to accomplish what they want.

It's in my character. Adversity is what drives me. I don't know why the hell I'm like this. The harder someone pushes me, the harder I push back. Sometimes I've pushed back too hard... resulting in things like my hatred of Christianity. It's not healthy, and I'm learning how to control myself better and not act out of impulse and emotion, but without it... I can't imagine myself without it. There's not much else I've got. It just feels like my whole life I've been fighting and going against the grain. Take that away and what the fuck is there left? Not much. There used to be more, but besides my parents today and a few close friends... not much.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; June 4th 2013 at 12:32 PM.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 4th 2013, 02:23 PM

Not surprisingly enough, I started questioning religion when I went through depression and all that stuff at the age of 13. Even before I was questioning religion, I never took church seriously. Prayer I understand, believing I understand, but going to church didn't really sit well with me because it's boring as hell (no pun intended) and I can just get answers over the internet. If God is all-knowing, he already knows I hate going to church so he would know that I'm only going to church because I'm forced to go to church by my family. If God came down, I feel like he would say that you don't have to go to church if you don't want to go to church; it's not gonna make you less or more likely to reach Heaven than any other Christian.

So it's a lot of shit like that that made me question. The hypocrites of religion, the unanswered questions, the different beliefs within a religion, etc. If I'm to follow something, I should know exactly what is right and wrong; otherwise, I'm just gonna live my life doing what I believe is right and wrong and just hope that whatever happens after death is justified based on the way I lived life and take into consideration that I didn't have a manual. An all-knowing god would understand that you can't follow stuff that was written a long ass time ago and translated however many times. Eventually I became an Agnostic Theist...and that's a whole different thread. lol

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 4th 2013, 02:39 PM

I always did. We would pray everyday in assembly in school and I would always question why. I used to drive my year 4 teacher mad because she was quite a strong Christian :')

I actually started to refuse to pray when I was about 6 because I thought it was stupid. Teachers started having a go at me but they got used to it If they ever said anything to my parents they probably would have agreed with me. In secondary school I would just look my head master in the eye when everyone else was praying, he never said anything.

In a way I also kind of wish I refused to go to assembly. The Jehovah' witness kids never had to, I shouldn't have had to either being an Atheist and all.

Now I'm looking back I realise just how stupid making kids pray in school is -____-

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 4th 2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedusoidMycelium View Post
Honestly my teacher in RE once asked me if I believe in God. To which I did answer ' Not exactly a god, but I do believe there's something more powerful out there'. For this I was sent to the chapel to repent to ''God'' A god in which I do not believe in.
That's the sort of stuff that makes me positively angry when I hear of it.

What the teacher did was subtle, but essentially the same as sending a child to sit in the corner facing the wall for kicking someone in the leg during class. She did it to make you feel guilty about what you said, as if what you said was something wrong. To "teach you a lesson".

Adults... you can't just do something like that to an adult so easily. Let's say that you throw an adult in prison for not believing in a religion. Is that going to "teach" the adult that it's wrong not to believe in some religion? Very unlikely to work. Kids though... kids are easily indoctrinated. I'm glad that she didn't get through to you.

It's essentially exploiting kids for selfish ends. She believes in her God, and believes that if she indoctrinates a bunch of kids to believe in the same God... she'll go to heaven for it. She's entitled to believe whatever she wants to. She's not entitled to exploit kids to fulfill her own selfish agenda.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 16th 2013, 10:50 AM

4th and 5th grade when I went to a Catholic school. There's something wrong when a Catholic school book tells you that the 2nd creation story is based off of Babylonian creation myths. How can a creation story be based off of another culture's myth?

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 16th 2013, 11:30 AM

The bible has a bit of sketchy things in it. And highly religious people can do things behind someone elses back, and I don't like people who shove religion through everyone elses throat

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Ɯιттʏ~ Offline
Narwhal Lover
Not a n00b

Name: Callie

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 16th 2013, 08:03 PM

I stopped believing and starting questioning all religions when my former church started to shove religion down my throat and use hate speech against gay people. I simply stopped going, and did lots of research. Yes, I believe the Bible is a beautiful story to read, but to follow? No. I think I can find the Greek/Egyptian gods more believable than "God".

Send a message via AIM to Ɯιттʏ~ Send a message via Skype™ to Ɯιттʏ~ 
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 16th 2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF View Post
That's the sort of stuff that makes me positively angry when I hear of it.

What the teacher did was subtle, but essentially the same as sending a child to sit in the corner facing the wall for kicking someone in the leg during class. She did it to make you feel guilty about what you said, as if what you said was something wrong. To "teach you a lesson".

Adults... you can't just do something like that to an adult so easily. Let's say that you throw an adult in prison for not believing in a religion. Is that going to "teach" the adult that it's wrong not to believe in some religion? Very unlikely to work. Kids though... kids are easily indoctrinated. I'm glad that she didn't get through to you.

It's essentially exploiting kids for selfish ends. She believes in her God, and believes that if she indoctrinates a bunch of kids to believe in the same God... she'll go to heaven for it. She's entitled to believe whatever she wants to. She's not entitled to exploit kids to fulfill her own selfish agenda.
Yeah I wasn't happy with how my teacher reacted, catholic school or not not everyone at the school is going to be catholic. The only requirement was that you have a letter from the priest or vicar of your church saying you attend church. My school that I went to did however used to be a convent for nuns and the chapel was part of the school. I dont intend to inflict my beliefs on anyone but my teacher should have at least accepted my beliefs lol.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
semiunbalanced Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kimmi

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 17th 2013, 12:32 AM

When I was six I created "the bologna religion". I had gone to different churches with friends and grasped as many concepts as a six year old could. I liked some parts of some religions but other parts I thought were "bologna" so I invented the bologna religion. It was a mixture of all different things and I laughed and joked about it, but really did think that some religions carried some serious horse s***. It wasn't until I was in High School when I started to seek a religious outlet.

I most identified with Christianity, but was promptly kicked out my senior year when I came out. Unlike many homosexuals that I knew, I did not blame God or rebel against Him. I just tried my best to keep my faith, despite not being able to find a church. To this day, I have not found a church but if people ask I say I am Christian. I do not know much about Him in part because I'm scared of being lost again if I find more things I do not like or approve of within the religion, and because I cannot find a church that doesn't shun me for my behavior.

I identify most with Christianity in terms of family values and treating other people with respect, including yourself. I may not always live by the most perfect rules, but that's the one I most identify with.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 17th 2013, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiunbalanced View Post
When I was six I created "the bologna religion". I had gone to different churches with friends and grasped as many concepts as a six year old could. I liked some parts of some religions but other parts I thought were "bologna" so I invented the bologna religion. It was a mixture of all different things and I laughed and joked about it, but really did think that some religions carried some serious horse s***. It wasn't until I was in High School when I started to seek a religious outlet.

I most identified with Christianity, but was promptly kicked out my senior year when I came out. Unlike many homosexuals that I knew, I did not blame God or rebel against Him. I just tried my best to keep my faith, despite not being able to find a church. To this day, I have not found a church but if people ask I say I am Christian. I do not know much about Him in part because I'm scared of being lost again if I find more things I do not like or approve of within the religion, and because I cannot find a church that doesn't shun me for my behavior.

I identify most with Christianity in terms of family values and treating other people with respect, including yourself. I may not always live by the most perfect rules, but that's the one I most identify with.
Have you ever considered trying a Unitarian Universalist Church?

(#24 (permalink)) Old
semiunbalanced Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 17th 2013, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up In The Clouds View Post
Have you ever considered trying a Unitarian Universalist Church?
I have never even heard of that?

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 17th 2013, 02:14 AM

I've always had questions that people just swept under the rug. But, I really started questioning after a particularly traumatic event in my life. I just haven't really been able to bring myself to understand how any god who is said to be truly good could allow it in a persons life. They said that God was supposed to be there, but I honestly had never felt more alone. And that's when I realized the God I'd been following for the past couple years might not be real.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#26 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 17th 2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiunbalanced View Post
I have never even heard of that?
It's a liberal religious movement that had it's roots in Christianity but now includes people with other theistic and non-theistic beliefs as well as Christians. They are very welcoming to LGBT people.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
semiunbalanced Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 17th 2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up In The Clouds View Post
It's a liberal religious movement that had it's roots in Christianity but now includes people with other theistic and non-theistic beliefs as well as Christians. They are very welcoming to LGBT people.
Wow that sounds pretty cool. I'll look into it. Thank you(:

(#28 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 18th 2013, 08:05 PM

I went to a Christian school until halfway through grade 3, I was pulled out due to bullying. The irony of the situation wasn't lost on me, as I began to question "Why would god allowed me to be bullied in HIS school?" I dispelled these qualms, and went back to being a nice, god-fearing child.

By age 12 I was already begining to poke holes into the idea of god, as so much of "god's glory" was unexplainable, uncited, or silly. I was feeling like I was already "too old" to believe such things.

Just last year I took a philosophy course that involved reading the Holy Christian Bible. The simple act of reading the Bible entirely destroyed my "faith", as the book was clinically insane. Promoting slavery, sexism, incest, murder, capital punishment, forced conversion, etc. At this point I still hadn't considered myself an "atheist" or even "agnostic " but rather "not a christian" although I was no longer a christian, I certainly wasn't one of the evil atheists I'd been warned my whole life about.

I began to explore atheism, regardless and felt that I identified with their train of thought, and most importantly: their lack of belief in god.

At this point I'm an atheist, but I haven't really told anyone. However, I've made it clear to my parents I no longer feel a draw to any organized religion, and am no longer expected to go to church.

More than anything, I realize that if you remove the "wise" way the bible is written and present the stories in layman's term, it seems entirely ridiculous. Every single world religion falls into the same pitfalls and the same circular logic. More than anything, we should assume there is no afterlife until it's proven there is, simply because it's an insane statement to claim that you have a personal relationship with the creator of the universe, and that you and your people will be showered in happiness forever while everyone else is tortured. When you make a bold claim you need strong evidence for it, and religion has no evidence other than the writings of people who believed so many things we now realize today; are wrong.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#29 (permalink)) Old
S0M3T!M3S Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: When did you start questioning? - June 19th 2013, 01:17 PM

I started questioning my my religion around the time I went into high school (about 11/12years old). I was raised a Catholic my whole life; went to a Catholic primary school.
Looking back on it, I can't really remember myself actually having faith, just that it was the only thing I knew. I never questioned it in primary school because I just went with the flow; I was kind of a goody-two-shoes.
I'll admit I was partially influenced by older sister (I think she started questioning religion around the same age as me).

Closed Thread