TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PrimadonnaQueen Offline
left this site.
Regular TeenHelper

Purity Rings? - June 15th 2013, 06:53 PM

I have a few questions about purity rings.

Anyone can answer my first question.

What is your opinion of purity rings?
Do you think they are a good or bad idea?

My next few questions are for people that wear purity rings.

1) why do you wear one?

2) At what age did you start wearing your purity ring?

3) Do your parents or friends know that you wear one?

4) Has a partner ever broken up with you because you wouldn't have sex with them? (Due to the fact that you wanted to wait until you married them)

5) How often do you wear it?

6) Do people tease or mock you for wearing it?

I would also like to ask people who wore a purity ring and are married.

Do you regret waiting and holding onto your virginity until you married?
Or are you happy with your choice?

.....“You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself.”.....

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Re: Purity Rings? - June 15th 2013, 07:27 PM

To be honest, I don't care about purity rings. Most highly religious people (Not all) can do shady things behind someones back, and what's the use for purity rings anyway? Sure, I want to wait for sex with the right gal, but till marriage... Ummm... Not really, I wanna try things out first.

Point in case: Purity rings aren't my style nor that I care about rings, I feel they're glorifying high religious people who are maybe bound to do shady stuff, so.

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: Purity Rings? - June 15th 2013, 08:05 PM

My opinion on purity rings is a ring won't stop you from having sex. You shouldn't need jewelry or whatever to help you stick to a life choice. I did have a purity ring at one point, but that didn't stop me from having sex when I changed my mind.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
dylanfrmcali Offline
Know that Life is Beautiful
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Dylan Robert

Re: Purity Rings? - June 15th 2013, 08:23 PM

In my opinion you don't need to have a purity ring or any kind of jewelry that shows that you're saving yourself for marriage. To be honest it's your decision when you want to have sex, not your parents nor jewelry, but please be careful about it, protection is always the way to go.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Purity Rings? - June 16th 2013, 10:36 AM

I have a few questions about purity rings.

Anyone can answer my first question.

- My opinion is that they are overrated and silly. It is a fashion statement. If something like virginity was highly prized by the individual, then they should keep it to themselves and to their partner.

I think putting a lot of emphasis on virginity is not the way to do it. Having teenagers "pledge" themselves is sort of silly. In my high school, most of the "virgins" who wore purity rings had sex previously or had sex within a year of getting them. I think those resources would be better spent on educating the teenagers on safe sex. If they are not being handed out by an organization free, then they are being sold by a company that is making profits off of this.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Purity Rings? - June 17th 2013, 11:56 PM

I think that purity rings won't stop you... Wedding rings don't stop people from having affairs... Of course, in my opinion having an affair is the only questionable action there where as I find the suggestion that having sex before marriage making one impure down right offensive (I would never say I'm less pure)... But my point is that a ring isn't going to stop a person from having sex if that's what they really want to be doing, if a person is committed to abstaining then they will, they don't need a ring to remind them of it, and frankly I've always kind of felt that having a purity ring makes that person seem obsessed with sex, what, can't they remember to say no on their own? Why does the whole world need to know about it? I don't run around flaunting my choices of sexual liberation....

So all in all, I think they're silly and redundant. But if someone else likes them then that's their deal.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Purity Rings? - June 19th 2013, 06:40 AM

I've heard about purity rings back when I was in middle school. Back then, a lot of the emo chicks were wearing these things called "sex bracelets" where each color indicated some kind of sexual shit you've done or something like that. The girls who wore them kind of freaked me out. One of the girls who wore a lot of sex bracelets had an interest in me, and asked me if I had a VCR. I asked her "what's that?" and she told me that a VCR is when a boy/man bends over and you can see his balls. I probably didn't answer that question. Point being is that sex bracelets were pretty much a short-lived style of expression and the people who wore them were what modern day middle school clique students would call "freaks." Being called a freak is not really a good thing.

Purity rings are along the same lines. They aren't very popular, and I believe it's for good reason. I know a woman who is Roman Catholic who just recently, according to sources, had anal sex with her boyfriend. The reason why they had anal sex was because she believes that anal sex is not considered losing your virginity. Not surpisingly enough, many religious people try to find loopholes in the system and claim "well, losing your virginity is inserting a penis into your vagina so...fair game" when it's really open to interpretation. The woman I previously mentioned believes that she's pure DESPITE the fact that she gives and receives oral sex, has tried anal sex, and GOD knows what else. So if she believes she's pure and decides to wear purity rings, what's that say about other women who wear purity rings? Well...it leads to purity rings not meaning anything because potentially, according to women like the woman who previously had anal sex, oral/anal sex isn't considered losing your virginity. So you could give 10,000 men blowjobs or have anal sex with every man over the age of 20 for the rest of your life and still remain virgins. It would seem kind of weird to say that you've lost your purity but you haven't lost your virginity. So I think that any person who would wear a purity ring really has no idea what purity even means. Plus, there's being proud about something and then there's being cocky about something...I don't go around flashing that I got laid X amount of days ago or I've committed pre-marital sex because I know that not everyone approves of the things that I do and I don't want to make everyone feel uncomfortable. Honestly, I couldn't give two shits why someone is a virgin or if they are in the first place. Wearing purity rings would just make me dislike them even more than I already do because I'm completely against the idea of waiting till marriage to have sex because I feel that it's a completely old concept based on an old scripture that was interpreted many times throughout history and peoplefollow shit that they don't even understand. So yeah...purity rings are a very bad idea.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: Purity Rings? - June 20th 2013, 02:49 AM

I think they are kind of dumb.
I don't like them because a) no one should need a reminder to not have sex with someone if they don't want to and b) they are almost exclusively for women, reaffirming that sexual purity is for females and not males.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Purity Rings? - June 20th 2013, 07:22 AM

I understand why people wear them, but I don't really think they're necessary. If you're making a commitment to keep your virginity until marriage, you don't really need a ring to remind you. That being said, I do know that a lot of people use it as a symbol to other people, the same way rings symbolize something for married people. It's not really a reminder to them - it's more something to show others that they're committed to something. At least, that's what I've heard from the people I know that wear them.

I don't really think they're a good or bad idea. It's something that the individual has to decide for themselves. If, for some reason, a purity ring is important to someone, then it's a good idea for them to wear it. I honestly don't see a problem with them unless people are using them as mere fashion statements.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

Closed Thread