TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PrimadonnaQueen Offline
left this site.
Regular TeenHelper

What the bible says about Tattoos - June 24th 2013, 05:43 PM

When I'm older, I'd like to get a tattoo.
I'm religious, so I was looking at religious tattoos on a brilliant website called religioustattoos.net and there is a section explaining how it isn't wrong to get a tattoo, (if you are Christian) with references to the bible.

http://www.religioustattoos.net/Bible_Support/index.php

So what are your opinions of this?

Do you believe that the bible clearly says that it is wrong to get a tattoo?
Or is the article correct?

.....“You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself.”.....

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Yours Truly Offline
Ashley<3(:
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Re: What the bible says about Tattoos - June 24th 2013, 07:11 PM

Personally, i consider myself agnostic and I'm not a very religious person at all.. However, i was raised in a catholic school/church and my mother was/is catholic.. I had to read the bible through and through, and I know somewhere it says something somewhere about maiming your body so to speak, or permanently altering it, not being good.. But I don't think it's wrong to get a tattoo as long as it isn't explicit.. No where (from what I can remember) in the bible does it say anything about tattoos. I have 2, and my really really religious grandfather (christian/catholic) and mother got over the initial shock and they actually like them now.. So I don't think you have anything to worry about.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle." <3

Feel free to PM/VM me if you ever need someone to talk to, or just want someone to listen. I'm also always up for making new friends.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PrimadonnaQueen Offline
left this site.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: What the bible says about Tattoos - June 24th 2013, 07:58 PM

thanks Ashley
I'd like a cross on my wrist

.....“You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself.”.....

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Yours Truly Offline
Ashley<3(:
Regular TeenHelper

Re: What the bible says about Tattoos - June 24th 2013, 09:52 PM

Nice! Then go for it.

I have "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle." tattooed on the inside of my wrist, and 'mind over matter' on the back of my shoulder.

Feel free to PM/VM me if you ever need someone to talk to, or just want someone to listen. I'm also always up for making new friends.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PrimadonnaQueen Offline
left this site.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: What the bible says about Tattoos - June 24th 2013, 11:23 PM

They sound like awesome Tattoos!
Especially 'mind over matter'
That's so cool!!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: What the bible says about Tattoos - June 25th 2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yours Truly View Post
Personally, i consider myself agnostic and I'm not a very religious person at all.. However, i was raised in a catholic school/church and my mother was/is catholic.. I had to read the bible through and through, and I know somewhere it says something somewhere about maiming your body so to speak, or permanently altering it, not being good.. But I don't think it's wrong to get a tattoo as long as it isn't explicit.. No where (from what I can remember) in the bible does it say anything about tattoos. I have 2, and my really really religious grandfather (christian/catholic) and mother got over the initial shock and they actually like them now.. So I don't think you have anything to worry about.
If you can remember where in the bible it says that I would love to know, just to read the passages and all that.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: What the bible says about Tattoos - June 25th 2013, 04:03 PM

Well, I think a lot of it goes into interpretation, like a lot of people will go to the grave saying its incredibly wrong with verses. Even if tattoos aren't specifically mentioned, i think it goes with anything that involves alternations to your image (tattoos, piercings, makeup, etc), the more permanent it is the more frowned upon it is. A lot of people don't believe in "flashy" stuff, like women should look modest and not wear a lot of make up, provocative clothes or jewelry etc. But I think because Christianity is so inclusive of everyone, a lot of people take the more traditional views i just mentioned (which are vaguely or directly stated in the bible depending what the context is) with a grain of salt. Like the bible says women shouldn't wear golden clothes or braid their hair while i don't see women wearing gold all that often it would be seen as stupid by our society for someone to actually try to enforce not braiding your hair because even the most devout Christian knows that it was not written in a context that could possibly be applicable in the majority of situations today.

So between intepretation, application and the inclusive nature of Christianity I DO think that tattoos are ok. Christianity wants to accept/save the sinners. Jesus himself hung out with a money person and a sinner, so if your going to nit pick then it's kind of messing around with Christianity, the Bible might SAY god prefers it when we don't mess around with our bodies but I highly doubt he's going to be like "oh, your different, nope, I'm not allowing you to enter the kingdom of heaven, tata". God wants to save the "lost" people. I don't think he's going to get hung up over someone choosing to have a tattoo, especially if it's not some nasty yucky tattoo (classy tattoos are always good )

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#8 (permalink)) Old
PrimadonnaQueen Offline
left this site.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: What the bible says about Tattoos - June 26th 2013, 06:20 PM

thank you for your answer Wallflower

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Yours Truly Offline
Ashley<3(:
Regular TeenHelper

Re: What the bible says about Tattoos - June 26th 2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:BreakingBeautifully:. View Post
If you can remember where in the bible it says that I would love to know, just to read the passages and all that.
I couldn't remember for the life of me, however I looked it up on Google and this is what I came up with:

http://www.openbible.info/topics/your_body

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: What the bible says about Tattoos - June 28th 2013, 01:44 PM

"Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD. " (Leviticus 19:28)

I'm not a Christian, so I don't consider myself bound by it. But it's in Leviticus, so I suppose you might find it relevant. Perhaps people might selectively work they way around it to be able to do something, but it's right there in the Old Testament. Whether or not that's significant to you isn't of my own arbitration.

One million miles away...

(#11 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: What the bible says about Tattoos - June 29th 2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Mr. Self Destruct~ View Post
"Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD. " (Leviticus 19:28)

I'm not a Christian, so I don't consider myself bound by it. But it's in Leviticus, so I suppose you might find it relevant. Perhaps people might selectively work they way around it to be able to do something, but it's right there in the Old Testament. Whether or not that's significant to you isn't of my own arbitration.
I'm not Christian, either, but I'm going to throw this out there, not really for you (Matt, but for the OP, or anyone that cares). Leviticus was law for the Jews, not the Christians. The markings mentioned in Leviticus were based on honoring "false gods." If anyone ever used this as a reason to not get a tattoo, just tell them to read the verse after which says to never cut your hair.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: What the bible says about Tattoos - July 2nd 2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of Mike and Men View Post
I'm not Christian, either, but I'm going to throw this out there, not really for you (Matt, but for the OP, or anyone that cares). Leviticus was law for the Jews, not the Christians. The markings mentioned in Leviticus were based on honoring "false gods." If anyone ever used this as a reason to not get a tattoo, just tell them to read the verse after which says to never cut your hair.
Well that was my initial thought, but I asked around and came out with conflicting reports. I'll take your response under proper advisement, however, given your prior experience.

One million miles away...

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: What the bible says about Tattoos - July 3rd 2013, 01:21 AM

Given what else Leviticus says, which - let's face it - is pretty outdated, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you want a tattoo, and you're sure about having it in 60 years time...go for it!

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#14 (permalink)) Old
PrimadonnaQueen Offline
left this site.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: What the bible says about Tattoos - July 4th 2013, 10:42 PM

thank you all for your helpful answers

Closed Thread