TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

How do you view the Bible? - July 8th 2013, 11:10 PM

I am curious to see how people view the Bible? Literal or abstract?

Basically, do you think everything in the Bible happened or is it more an abstract book of stories meant to live our lives by? Or do you think it is a mixture of both? If you think it is a mixture of both, how do you determine what is fact and what is meant to be taken as a moral story?

Edit: Oh, I forgot this too. Have you read the Bible?

Last edited by Lelola; July 9th 2013 at 02:22 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ELEVATE
I've been here a while

Name: Hannah

Re: How do you view the Bible? - July 9th 2013, 01:04 AM

I take the Bible as literal, unless stated otherwise. What I mean by that is, some of the stories in there did not actually happen, Jesus was using them to illustrate something. But in that case, then it is stated whether or not it is a parable.

And yes, I have read it. Twice.

Last edited by Celaena-Sardothian; July 9th 2013 at 08:22 PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Collies R Us Offline
Proverbs 30:5-6
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ally

Re: How do you view the Bible? - July 9th 2013, 03:28 AM

I take it as literal as well.
I've read the Bible.
- Collies R Us

"Be strong and bold; have no fear or dread of them, because it is the LORD your God who goes with you; he will not fail you or forsake you." (Deut. 31:6 NRSV of the Bible)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How do you view the Bible? - July 9th 2013, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasa View Post

Basically, do you think everything in the Bible happened or is it more an abstract book of stories meant to live our lives by? Or do you think it is a mixture of both? If you think it is a mixture of both, how do you determine what is fact and what is meant to be taken as a moral story?

The stories, laws, history and knowledge of an ancient people and that's it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: How do you view the Bible? - July 9th 2013, 03:56 AM

It depends on the portion of the bible your speaking of. The bible contains parables, history, miracles, psalms, laws, and prophecies. Which are you asking about?

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: How do you view the Bible? - July 9th 2013, 09:54 AM

I believe it's somewhere between the two. I've read most of the Bible over a period of time, but that was a few years ago. I'm presuming we're talking about the likes of the parables and other stories. I think there is some truth in them, but they're presented in a different way.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: How do you view the Bible? - July 9th 2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:

I see it as a mixture of both because the bible contains parables, history, miracles and all of that. All I know is that when I read the bible I do feel closer to God.

I haven't read the bible as a whole but I have read bits and pieces.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#8 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: How do you view the Bible? - July 9th 2013, 01:33 PM

Abstract. Nice messages. But do I believe that any of that actually happened? no.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
You’re the diamonds, you’re the pearls
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
It’s your future, it’s your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#9 (permalink)) Old
PrimadonnaQueen Offline
left this site.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: How do you view the Bible? - July 9th 2013, 10:54 PM

I take it as literal and a way to live our lives by doing good to others and ourselves

.....“You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself.”.....

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: How do you view the Bible? - July 10th 2013, 05:53 PM

The first bible as we know it was compiled about four hundred years after Jesus’s death.
A lot can happen in four hundred years; things can be translated wrong, stories misinterpreted, so on and so forth. While some of it may be historically accurate, its already been proven that some of it is wrong or out of historical order. But that only makes sense because it was compiled long after the original pieces were written.
So for me, it’s just a book. Some of its true, a lot of it has been changed over time. I do not follow it religiously. I have read and studied a good portion of it. It’s very interesting, just not something I live my life by.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: How do you view the Bible? - July 10th 2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:

I have read most of the Bible due to my education and pure, simple curiosity. Now, I should probably state that I am atheist/agnostic, but I am one of the most ridiculously open minded people you'd ever meet. So I was in a position where I was going to be critical of the Bible in an educated way.

What i have concluded is that a lot of the stuff really is factual, but a lot of the other stuff I would take as being abstract. So there are number of events and people that would hold up as "real" or "literal" to anyone from Jewish and Christian followers and scholars to historians and archaeologists.

For example, the Jews could easily have been slaves of the Egyptians with a leader-man (AKA Moses) who wanted to leave, and claimed his god was going to help them get out, and thus a bunch of naturally occurring disasters freaked the Egyptian people out thinking that the Jewish god really was coming so the Pharaoh sends them away and figures they can all die in the desert. Like the 7 disaster things that That sort of thing COULD have happened without a God actually being present.

Jesus, for example, emerges in Roman writings (long before the Romans existed *as Christians, but I think they believed he was a threat to their power more then anything else because he had all these followers and the last thing they'd of wanted was for him to get enough followers to be able to rebel against the Roman rule in Jerusalem if they let him be, but they could also rebel out of revenge if the Romans killed him. So when some of the Jews unwilling to follow Jesus wanted him dead for besmirching their religion that probably suited the Romans just fine knowing that the Jews wouldn't rebel if they got rid of Jesus.

The destruction of the 2 temples is also recorded in history because that's when the Babylonians were conquering the Near East, so that's recorded in their history, and then again with the Romans. And because you can trace that in histories other then just the Bible you can have that.

Figures like Pilate and the Pharaoh are also reasonably "real".

So my point is that is is A LOT of stuff that can exist. I also know a lot of theories that would help with the divine stuff. But fact of the matter is that the "divine" stuff is what I'd consider abstract, that's the stuff that kind of raises eyebrows for me and isn't something I am going to pick away at here. It's not that I think it's not possible that there's a god out there (playing the agnostic card here!!!) it's just that to what extent the said god influences us is debatable in my mind..... Any how, point is that I don't think you can go all the way in "totally 100% literal" to "100% abstract", I think there is to much stuff (mostly history and people) that is fairly literal/accurate. But other stuff I'd say is more abstract (especially things like the fables and such).

Even from an atheistic point of view (yep, playing that card now) I can't say that there is nothing of value in the Bible, it gives a history of a culture, you can't say NOTHING is true (just the god part I have to dissect out when I am feeling particularly atheistic), there is plenty of true-ness to the bible and, simultaneously, plenty of stuff that someone of a different faith would be like "nuh uh, not possible!" lol. I'm just throwing that out there before I wrap this up cause I find you get these atheists who believe what they believe and it's as if there is nothing of value for them in other peoples religions, and religious people are guilty of this too, but I think it's hard for SOME people not to take an "all or nothing" view with other peoples cultures. But as an atheist, that's not meant to be like "oh, most atheists are like this, I'm just special"", cause I am really not, loads of people are capable of relating to other peoples religions, it's more just a comment on how SOME people lack necessary insight or education about other peoples cultures/religions

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Last edited by Always *; July 10th 2013 at 08:56 PM.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: How do you view the Bible? - July 10th 2013, 07:12 PM

I love the atheist slogan "Everything in the Bible is true. That is, unless science disproves it. Then it's a metaphor."
(it's somewhat sarcastic, I admit)

Whilst I have no doubt that a dude called Jesus lived and died 2000 years ago, but I don't believe he was the son of any god, nor do I really believe that anyone was resurrected, nor do I see much truth in the "God exists" side of things.
Some truth, some not so true. Some nice messages. Other really crap ones.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: How do you view the Bible? - July 12th 2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up In The Clouds View Post
The stories, laws, history and knowledge of an ancient people and that's it.
Do you view it as an accurate portrayal of laws and history? Granted, not many of the historical accounts can be considered impartial.

Quote:
It depends on the portion of the bible your speaking of. The bible contains parables, history, miracles, psalms, laws, and prophecies. Which are you asking about?
The whole thing.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Noire Offline
When is the future?
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: How do you view the Bible? - July 13th 2013, 10:07 PM

I view the Bible metaphorically. I don't believe it's a series of morals by which to live our lives by; Aesop's Fables is a series of moral stories to live our lives by. I believe the things that happened in the Bible really happened. However, I believe they have to be viewed in cultural and historical context. I believe one has to consider the audience that it was written for: common peoples who were unlikely to be able to grasp some of the higher-thinking concepts in the Bible, but would be able to grasp stories and metaphors. And I believe one has to consider that it was mankind, not God, that put together the version of the Bible we know today.

So I believe in the Bible. But I believe you have to view it as it was meant to be viewed at the time, and realize that the context changes as time changes, though the Truth of it remains the same.

Love joins
Love unites
Love breaks us apart
The power to conquer here in our hearts
Enduring and sacred
Eternal as time
For love, love alone will conquer all

"A Million," by VNV Nation
  Send a message via Yahoo to Noire  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: How do you view the Bible? - July 13th 2013, 10:30 PM

They're mostly parables. I can't actually see how someone could take something like Noah's Ark literally :/

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: How do you view the Bible? - July 14th 2013, 01:46 AM

I view it on an e-reader

I have not read the entire Bible, but I tend to pick and choose what I believe, what I find useful but not necessarily factual, and what I toss out. John the Evangelist would probably say I'm going to Hell for that, but I don't believe in Hell, so we'll see. I must say I find most of the Old Testament silly and illogical, though it does have its moments (Psalms, for example). The New Testament in my opinion has some excellent messages interspersed with facepalm-inducing "did he really say that?" moments, mostly in the epistles and Revelation.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How do you view the Bible? - July 14th 2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Do you view it as an accurate portrayal of laws and history? Granted, not many of the historical accounts can be considered impartial.

The whole thing.
I don't think God gave the mosaic law. I'm not an expert, but I'd say it developed or was created. The history isn't completely true.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: How do you view the Bible? - July 14th 2013, 09:08 PM

Honestly I think the bible is just a load of fairy tales,

Because if you go by the stories in the bible mainly adam and eve that would mean everyone in the world is related which when you think about it is like totally impossible. And as for jonah and the whale, no one can live inside a whale they would die.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: How do you view the Bible? - July 15th 2013, 03:11 AM

^ Even Richard Dawkins would say that everyone on Earth is biologically related, albeit not through Adam and Eve.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Lil Offline
I'm here
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lil

Re: How do you view the Bible? - July 15th 2013, 05:32 AM

I take as nothing more than interesting stories written a long time ago. Everyone interprets things their own ways though i suppose.

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Cut free since March 6th 2013
Purge free since March 8th 2013

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Laurasaurus Offline
Learning to Fly
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: How do you view the Bible? - July 15th 2013, 07:05 AM

Personally, I think many of the ideas and stories that are told in the Bible could have easily been manipulated by the government and other people throughout all the years it has been circulating. I don't view it as accurate, but I do believe that some morals and ideas that the Bible teaches are good and applicable to today's world.

1/7/12 - Live Help Operator | 1/25/14 - HelpLINK Mentor | 6/8/14 - Depression and Suicide Forum Moderator | 6/8/14 - Addictive Behaviors Forum Moderator | 1/11/14 - Videos Team Member | 4/11/15 - Senior Live Help Operator

“I will be generous with my love today. I will sprinkle compliments and uplifting words everywhere I go. I will do this knowing that my words are like seeds and when they fall on fertile soil, a reflection of those seeds will grow into something greater.”

PM / VM

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: How do you view the Bible? - July 22nd 2013, 07:12 PM

I take the bible literally, but in context. What I mean is, for example, when Jesus tells a fictional story to give an example of something, I don't believe that the story He told really happened, but I do believe that Jesus really told the story. Another example is the animal sacrifice in the bible. I do believe that people really did have to sacrifice animals to cover their sins in the Old Testament, but I don't believe that we still have to do that today...because in context, Jesus changed that when He died in our place, so no more sacrifices.

So, yes, I believe the whole bible as literal...but it has to be read in context, because certain parts are clearly stated to be only for the Old Testament or only for specific people. When it is one of those cases, the bible will say so.

Closed Thread